What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Dialect Survey/Map (again) (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most accurate.

• 5...almost dead on

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • 4...very close but a little off

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • 3...somewhat close but not great

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 2...not very close at all

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 1....way way off

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
we call it "the land the city owns that you have to pay to maintain and pay taxes on and if something goes wrong, the city tells you to #### off and fix it before they fine the crap out of you"
I'm guessing you don't talk about it all that frequently. That's quite a mouthful. 

we call it "the land the city owns that you have to pay to maintain and pay taxes on and if something goes wrong, the city tells you to #### off and fix it before they fine the crap out of you"
Yeah I just call it the land between the side walk and the street. 

Three cities were Lexington, Louisville, and Oklahoma City. I can count the empty seats at Great American Ballpark from my office window so not sure where OK City came from. Guess those Buckeyes across the river don't know what cabbage night is.

It nailed Detroit 

Also how is easement not a choice for the strip of grass between sidewalk and road???? 
We don't even really have those here. 

Your lawn...sidewalk+curb...gutter...street.  

I think I've seen the grass strip between the sidewalk and road in like real olde tyme neighborhoods.

I think I've seen the grass strip between the sidewalk and road in like real olde tyme neighborhoods.
they're all over Portland.

in the city of portland, you can not cut down a tree on the strip.   the fine is like $1500 and up if you do.   We had a tree that died and had to file a permit to remove it, I think that was like $50 or $60 just to file the permit, then you have to have the city forester come out and inspect the tree, then if he says ok to remove you have to to get another permit for removal.  Then they have a list of trees that you are allowed to replant in its place.   You can only use trees they list.    

they're all over Portland.

in the city of portland, you can not cut down a tree on the strip.   the fine is like $1500 and up if you do.   We had a tree that died and had to file a permit to remove it, I think that was like $50 or $60 just to file the permit, then you have to have the city forester come out and inspect the tree, then if he says ok to remove you have to to get another permit for removal.  Then they have a list of trees that you are allowed to replant in its place.   You can only use trees they list.    
Can you burn it down with gasoline that somebody else pumped for you?

It's everywhere in SE Michigan. Weird  to not have it. Your sidewalks butt up to the street?

Chattanooga, Huntsville, Columbus - most of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee dark red. Always lived in Atlanta so close enough. 

Three cities: Aurora, IL (10 miles away), Rockford, IL (80 miles away) and Spokane, WA (never even been there).  

Weird. Every neighborhood I have grown up in has been very walkable. Even most main streets have sidewalks. 
It's generally only the non-busy residential streets that don't have sidewalks around here. It's different from neighborhood to neighborhood as well.

Fort Wayne, In

Dayton, OH

Akron, OH

Live in Columbus, OH so basically a triangle around me.
Damn, I grew up in a Dayton suburb, graduated from a Columbus area HS, and lived 10 years or so in Akron area and met my wife.  Love Ohio, just too damn cold.

And Dayton is looking pretty sad these days. 

Ok but not great.  shows me around Springfield, MO and Tulsa, OK.  My dialect is central-SE Ohio, although I have lived in Arkansas for the last 20+ years.  

By the way ...the grass between the sidewalk and the street we called "the berm", but I have heard people call it "the devil strip."

"Supper", for whatever reason, drives me nuts. It's DINNER. 
My grandma had a farm in Nebraska (which is probably why one of my cities was Lincoln) and at her house, Dinner meant Lunch, and Supper meant Dinner. 

Both Dinner and Supper were full, hot, home-cooked meals. I'm talking fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, and biscuits for Dinner and pot roast, potatoes, gravy, veggies for Supper. 

I miss eating like that... 

I've taken this before, but it nailed it again this time.  Buffalo / Rochester / Aurora, IL were my top 3.  Last time I got Buffalo / Rochester / Detroit.  The only dark red area is the Buffalo area, with some spillover into Rochester area and a little bit in the Chicago area.

Took it a second time, different questions, and got Buffalo / Rochester / Grand Rapids, MI.

My 3 least similar cities are Jackson MS, New Orleans, and Columbus GA.

Users who are viewing this thread