What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Dialect Survey/Map (again) (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most accurate.

• 5...almost dead on

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • 4...very close but a little off

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • 3...somewhat close but not great

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 2...not very close at all

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 1....way way off

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
There was another one that threw me off.  

I honestly couldn't think of a specific term for an easy HS or college class.  Gut? Crip? Never heard those terms.

Definitely. All three pronunciations are the same. How else would you pronounce them? Real question.
I guess I'd compare "Mary" and "marry" to "hater" and "hatter." (Assuming you don't pronounce those two the same way) 

Or "Katy" and "catty."

Something about the double consonant shortening the vowel sound before it.

Think about the song...

Going to the chapel and we're going to get married.

How does married sound in that song? Doesn't sound like meh-rried to me, though with some marriages maybe that is more accurate.

I guess I'd compare "Mary" and "marry" to "hater" and "hatter." (Assuming you don't pronounce those two the same way) 
So the joke in "Dumb and Dumber" where the girl's name could end up being "Mary Christmas" doesn't make sense to you and your ilk?

There was another one that threw me off.  

I honestly couldn't think of a specific term for an easy HS or college class.  Gut? Crip? Never heard those terms.
We called them "blow off" classes in college.

I definitely experimented with stretching the definition of that term however. It didn't work out particularly well.

We called them "blow off" classes in college.

I definitely experimented with stretching the definition of that term however. It didn't work out particularly well.
Yeah, I guess "blow off" is probably the best but it just doesn't seem "common".  

If I had to give them a name I'd probably say "jerk off class" more than anything.  Of course, that could have an entirely different meaning as well.

Definitely. All three pronunciations are the same. How else would you pronounce them? Real question.
Jhib laid it out on the previous page:

Mary: a like in "mare" or "care"

Merry: short e, like in "net"

Marry: short a, like in "cat"

That scheme assumes that your dialect has different vowels for "mare", "net", and "cat".

Well, he was from New Jersey.
:thumbup:

It's funny/interesting that the pronunciations are close enough anyway that most people wouldn't notice the difference unless consciously listening for it. And then some can't fathom how one would use pronounce them differently, even though they've probably been exposed to it in things like that Christmas song. 

said i align most closely to New England. i'm born and raised in the South (TN & NC). i moved to NYC after college and have lived in Chicago the last 13 years. 

PRONUNCIATION TEST:

the word hundred

1) pronounced "hun-dread"

2) pronounced "hunnert"

3) pronounced "hunnerd"

4) "HUN-drid"  @Doug B

PLEASE ADVICE

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread