What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Dialect Survey/Map (again) (2 Viewers)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most accurate.

• 5...almost dead on

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • 4...very close but a little off

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • 3...somewhat close but not great

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 2...not very close at all

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 1....way way off

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Says, Tallahassee,Orlando,or Nashville thats pretty good I'm from Orlando. Sunshower was supposed to give it away.

Boston - Yonkers - Newark / Patterson

Close enough. Starting about 4 years old, in and around Fort Dix NJ for about 10 years. Lowell MA for 10. Southern NH since then.

Kinda hoping for a youths / utes question.

What's Neutral Ground mean in those parts? 
The median of a divided roadway.

"Neutral ground" is culturally important because it's used when describing one side of the street along which Mardi Gras parades pass: "Are you standing on the neutral ground side or the river side?"

The median  of a divided roadway.

"Neutral ground" is culturally important because it's used when describing one side of the street along which Mardi Gras parades pass: "Are you standing on the neutral ground side or the river side?"
See, I just call it the median. 

The median of a divided roadway.

also because it's where rival factions in adjoining neighborhoods or the same neighborhood used to meet to discuss things because it was no one's property. Actual "neutral ground."

Last edited by a moderator:
Waitaminnit - some people DO call doodlebugs "potato bugs". Linking is a PITA in the phone, but go check out "woodlouse" on Wikipedia.

EDIT: Gotcha, Steve T :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I use a lot of just "from the South" colloquialisms, but the heat map for some of the phrases were really interesting in that they dipped into Kentucky but not the rest of Dixie.

hagmania said:
I feel like I use a lot of just "from the South" colloquialisms, but the heat map for some of the phrases were really interesting in that they dipped into Kentucky but not the rest of Dixie.
Example: I thought car-mel was a southern thing, but apparently that's a flyover thing.

Doug B said:
Before Googling, I'm guessing these are doodlebugs/pillbugs/rolly-polies?

EDIT: Nope - whiffed on that one.
I call them pillbugs, but rolly-polly is  also acceptable. 

Insanely accurate.  Gives me Louisville, which is where I grew up.  It appears that my saying "yard sale" was a key.

The second and third choices are odd, though - Albuquerque and Colorado Springs.  These seem to be dependent upon my calling it a "frontage road."

Long ago English gamblers called the four-dotted side of a die cater(from the French quatre, "four"). The placement of those four dots suggested two diagonal lines, which is likely how cater came to mean (dialectally, anyway) "to place, move, or cut across diagonally."
It may derive from the Scots word wampish, meaning to “wriggle,” “twist,” or “swerve.” This is part of a complete episode.
Hmmmm,

It's putting me further east then I actually should be - It's highlighting between Baton Rouge and Birmingham, centered on Jacksonville, Mississippi.  I'm born and raised in Houston, with my family going back in this area to the 1840's German migration to Texas.  I think it put too much into Y'all being all over the South, when that's pretty normal for this part of Texas.

Came back with Irvine, Anaheim, and Huntington Beach.  Totally off. 

I'm from LA County (Glendale).  This thing is bunk.  Must be because in Atlanta, Oakland, Madrid, and now Baltimore that has affected my dialect. 

Juxtatarot said:
Even if you have dinner at noon?
If you have dinner at noon then you best get off this darn ol' messaging boards and get back to milking the cows. There is also a row a fence to be repaired up over yonder by old Man Johnson's place.

Users who are viewing this thread