What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Dialect Survey/Map (again) (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most accurate.

• 5...almost dead on

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • 4...very close but a little off

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • 3...somewhat close but not great

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 2...not very close at all

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 1....way way off

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
If you have dinner at noon then you best get off this darn ol' messaging boards and get back to milking the cows. There is also a row a fence to be repaired up over yonder by old Man Johnson's place.
:D   Seriously though, my family has often had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in the early afternoon.  It would be strange to me to call that "lunch".  Having a "supper" that evening also seems like the proper term since we're not having two dinners. 

Insanely accurate.  Gives me Louisville, which is where I grew up.  It appears that my saying "yard sale" was a key.

The second and third choices are odd, though - Albuquerque and Colorado Springs.  These seem to be dependent upon my calling it a "frontage road."
What's weird is that very few people around here even know there's a name for "frontage roads".  The only reason I called them that is that back when I delivered pizzas we used olde tyme gas station maps.  A lot of them used the term "frontage road". :shrug:  

:D   Seriously though, my family has often had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in the early afternoon.  It would be strange to me to call that "lunch".  Having a "supper" that evening also seems like the proper term since we're not having two dinners. 
that is SO Rockford. 

Grew up in Boston, college in Worcester, working in Providence. 

Three for three.  Voted 5.  

Even though my three cities were too far north (Aurora, Rockford, Madison), the darkest red part cut a swath through west central Illinois, which is where I've lived 95% of my life.  Uncanny.  

I got Fremont, Corona, San Jose. :lol:  Corona is an odd distinction.

West Coaster pretty much all my life. And I didn't see a lot of the questions "you guys" got.

What's weird is that very few people around here even know there's a name for "frontage roads".  The only reason I called them that is that back when I delivered pizzas we used olde tyme gas station maps.  A lot of them used the term "frontage road". :shrug:  
I had never even seen an access road/frontage road until I moved to Texas. We don't really have them here. In Texas, there are access roads running parallel to almost all Interstates and major highways.

Apparently it doesn't work on Canadians ;)

It's dark red for most of the map for me. California, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Minnesota, New York,  and Florida are the most densely red. The three cities it picked for me are Aurora, Colorado, and Jacksonville and Orlando. The cities least like me included Akron and Cleveland and yet I live just across the lake from them.

Apparently it doesn't work on Canadians ;)

It's dark red for most of the map for me. California, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Minnesota, New York,  and Florida are the most densely red. The three cities it picked for me are Aurora, Colorado, and Jacksonville and Orlando. The cities least like me included Akron and Cleveland and yet I live just across the lake from them.
What do you call a large piece of furniture that sits in the family room or living room? A) Couch, B) Davenport, C) Chesterfield

How do pronounce the word "about"? A) Rhymes with "out" or "lout", B) rhymes with "boot" or "loot".

What do you call the first year of school after Kindergarten? A) First Grade, B) Grade 1.

If you answered anything but A to all of the above, you are Canadian.

Quiz said I was from the area around DC.

I was born just outside Chicago and have lived most of my life in northern Georgia. 

My parents were both from New York. 

I answere3ed as I was raised and it nailed my location.  The thing is, I know not to say "bubbler" or "davenport" in Upstate N.Y or Colorado, of Minnesota.  Today my common usages would have me in Colorado.  there was a time when I would have recorded upstate N.Y. and at a different time Minnesota.  I'm adaptable to my environment. 

Grew up in central NJ and lived the last 25 or so years in upstate NY (Ithaca).  My three cities are Philadelphia, Newark/Paterson, and Rochester, with me pretty much right in the middle of the red.  Impressive.

It's also interesting to me that I've picked up some things from my wife from Michigan while some things I would never change (and she does the same thing - adjusting only some language).  I think the way I used to pronounce "water" sounds pretty stupid now, but it'll always be soda instead of pop, sneakers instead of tennis shoes, and merry/Mary/marry are three different words with three different pronunciations, dammit.  That's the one I'm always the most surprised at for being basically only a NJ thing.

Grew up in central NJ and lived the last 25 or so years in upstate NY (Ithaca).  My three cities are Philadelphia, Newark/Paterson, and Rochester, with me pretty much right in the middle of the red.  Impressive.

It's also interesting to me that I've picked up some things from my wife from Michigan while some things I would never change (and she does the same thing - adjusting only some language).  I think the way I used to pronounce "water" sounds pretty stupid now, but it'll always be soda instead of pop, sneakers instead of tennis shoes, and merry/Mary/marry are three different words with three different pronunciations, dammit.  That's the one I'm always the most surprised at for being basically only a NJ thing.
Really? Those sound the same to some people?

They are all exactly the same.

Do you say "Meeeeery Christmas?"   "Will you mahrr-ee me?"  "Mahry had a little lamb?"
No, it's much more straight forward than that (in my mind, anyway).

Mary: a like in "mare" or "care"

Merry: short e, like in "net"

Marry: short a, like in "cat"

Mine came back Fort Wayne, Rockford, Overland Park.  Grew up near Fort Wayne, but there's a pretty wide band of red across Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri.

Least similar were all in Mass: Springfield, Worcester and Boston

Weird. All are pronounced like the first.
Yeah, that's why my in-laws look at me like I'm crazy when the topic comes up. But I still think it's much weirder that they would all be pronounced the same way. 

By the way, it's the same with ferry and fairy - two different pronunciations (ferry like my merry, fairy like my Mary).

My little niece on my wife's side just recently showed us something she wrote that included "chairy pie." I told my wife she'd have had a better chance of spelling it right if she pronounced it like I do.

Most similar were Newark, NJ, Lancaster, PA, and Springfield, Massachusetts. 

My band of red was the Northeast, which is where I grew up. The article said my use of the word "rotary" gave my Hartford/SPFLD roots away. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It picked a couple of cities about 50 miles from my hometown.

Close enough.

I guess "yard sale" was the determining factor.

No, it's much more straight forward than that (in my mind, anyway).

Mary: a like in "mare" or "care"

Around here, "Mary" and "merry" are the same:

Mary: short e, like in "net"

I only noticed as an adult that anyone pronounced "Mary" as how I'd pronounce "mare-ee". "Fairy" and "dairy" also use the short "e" in "net". Yet our "hairy" is different -- it's like your "Mary".

I've never knowingly heard "marry" pronounced like "mare-ee", even though I work with people from all over the U.S. It could well have slipped past me. Might need to get cap'n grunge or OrtonToOlsen on the horn and hear this for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread