What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Sniper - Clint Eastwood's latest movie (1 Viewer)

Tom Servo said:
Enjoyed this. Not the GREAT movie some in the media want it to be.

Cooper was exceptional. I agree with others that more early character development would have been nice.

Any critics of Kyle's actions have absolutley no foot to stand on unless they were in those situations and made the decisions Kyle had to make.
Kyle decided to volunteer to travel to foreign lands to murder people. So, in a sense, you're right; most of us would not make that decision.
He murdered some in the states as well if you believe what he wrote in his book.
This is not amusing and a terrible fishing trip. Just stop
It's not amusing, it's a fact.
You guys go ahead and trash the guy. I'm not coming along for that ride.
:lmao:

All in his self proclaimed exploits. Do a little half ### research and see for yourself.
:link: and not from infowars, either.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

You gotta be willfully ignorant to not know this. Seriously. Took 5 freaking seconds. Guy was a pathological liar at best. I'll go with sociopath.

Now go get your ####### shine box.

Tom Servo said:

Cooper was exceptional. I agree with others that more early character development would have been nice.

Any critics of Kyle's actions have absolutley no foot to stand on unless they were in those situations and made the decisions Kyle had to make.
Kyle decided to volunteer to travel to foreign lands to murder people. So, in a sense, you're right; most of us would not make that decision.
He murdered some in the states as well if you believe what he wrote in his book.

All in his self proclaimed exploits. Do a little half ### research and see for yourself.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

You gotta be willfully ignorant to not know this. Seriously. Took 5 freaking seconds. Guy was a pathological liar at best. I'll go with sociopath.

talking about michael moore right?

Tom Servo said:

talking about michael moore right?
:rolleyes: apply it to him too if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propaganda put forth by the new Republican government.
If you and Justin Bieber were both drowning, I'd go back to the house to grab a beer and let nature decide.
You're really fascinated by death and destruction, aren't you?
Only in yours at this point, you're categorically horrific.
I thought this was the Free For All Forum. Instead, it seems to be a place where people are supposed to toe the line of political correctness.
Bet if your family were burning to death in a house fire, you would protest the cops and firemen coming to save them.

i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propaganda put forth by the new Republican government.
If you and Justin Bieber were both drowning, I'd go back to the house to grab a beer and let nature decide.
I thought this was the Free For All Forum. Instead, it seems to be a place where people are supposed to toe the line of political correctness.
People seem to be able to say whatever they want in here as long as it's not overly vulgar.If you are being an ### though you can expect to get called out.
If having a sincere opinion about something -- and stating it here without reservation -- is being an ####, I'll accept that.
How bad were you abused when you were growing up. Not enough apparently.

All I can say is this movie is spot on. This is a very honest movie and I praise Bradley Cooper for his work. People who haven't been overseas shouldn't comment on things they don't know about. That area of the world is a different planet than this place. There is a reason that enlisted personnel are usually rated in the top 1 or 2 of most stressful jobs because it is just that. They have life and death at their hands on a daily basis and lives are lost with them trying to be politically correct from people thinking they are murderous, brutal people over here. They have to account for every bullet they shoot over there and still save themselves and their brothers over there making pennies on the dollar. They are invading areas that are trapped, kids and women are spies, cars are rigged with explosives, and you don't have actual food or running water. So you are eating MREs, crapping off a center block, living in a non AC area when it's 120+ outside for a couple weeks making five digits a year with a pipe dream that you might get a college degree and be have a normal life in the good ole USA while people like Seth Rogen and Michael Moore can criticize you in AC house behind a computer making 7 digits a year and have no idea how that area of the world works. I know I'm ranting but im just fired up right now. People don't know what kind of opportunity they have here. They won the lottery being born here. On my last deployment, every port I went to was littered with Russians who literally had Eastern European women as sex slaves. Entire floors of hotels are blocked off and that where the hookers are forced to live. Even to this day I think about it and don't hear anything about it in Hollywood. It's so sad to see such pretty women kidnapped and drugged and forced into sex trafficking. The #### you see on the movies (Taken, equalizer) doesn't do justice. If these Hollywood bimbos knew anything about this area they would be talking about the real problems. It's disgusting to think about a 50 year old smelly middle eastern man with a 16 year old Russian teen, but it's even worse to see it in person and not be able to do anything about it. There I'm done.

All I can say is this movie is spot on. This is a very honest movie and I praise Bradley Cooper for his work. People who haven't been overseas shouldn't comment on things they don't know about. That area of the world is a different planet than this place. There is a reason that enlisted personnel are usually rated in the top 1 or 2 of most stressful jobs because it is just that. They have life and death at there hands on a daily basis and lives are lost with them trying to be politically correct from people thinking they are murderous, brutal people over here. They have to account for every bullet they shoot over there and while still save themselves and their brothers over there making pennies on the dollar. Try are invading areas that are trapped, kids and women are spies, cars are rigged with explosives, and you don't have actual food or running water. So you are eating MREs, crapping off a center block, living in a non AC area when it's 120+ outside for a couple weeks making five digits a year with a pipe dream that you might get a college degree and be have a normal life in the good ole USA while people like Seth Rogen and Michael Moore can criticize you in AC house behind a computer making 7 digits a year and have no idea how that area of the world works. I know I'm ranting but im just fired up right now. People don't know what kind of opportunity they have here. They won the lottery being born here. On my last deployment, every port I went to was littered with Russians who literally had Eastern European women as sex slaves. Entire floors of hotels are blocked off and that where the hookers are forced to live. Even to this day I think about it and don't hear anything about it in Hollywood. It's so sad to see such pretty women kidnapped and drugged and forced into sex trafficking. The #### you see on the movies (Taken, equalizer) doesn't do justice. If these Hollywood bimbos knew anything about this area they would be talking about the real problems. It's disgusting to think about a 50 year old smelly middle eastern man with a 16 year old Russian teen, but it's even worse to see it in person and not be able to do anything about it. There I'm done.
Look at this freaking guy.

All I can say is this movie is spot on. This is a very honest movie and I praise Bradley Cooper for his work. People who haven't been overseas shouldn't comment on things they don't know about. That area of the world is a different planet than this place. There is a reason that enlisted personnel are usually rated in the top 1 or 2 of most stressful jobs because it is just that. They have life and death at their hands on a daily basis and lives are lost with them trying to be politically correct from people thinking they are murderous, brutal people over here. They have to account for every bullet they shoot over there and still save themselves and their brothers over there making pennies on the dollar. They are invading areas that are trapped, kids and women are spies, cars are rigged with explosives, and you don't have actual food or running water. So you are eating MREs, crapping off a center block, living in a non AC area when it's 120+ outside for a couple weeks making five digits a year with a pipe dream that you might get a college degree and be have a normal life in the good ole USA while people like Seth Rogen and Michael Moore can criticize you in AC house behind a computer making 7 digits a year and have no idea how that area of the world works. I know I'm ranting but im just fired up right now. People don't know what kind of opportunity they have here. They won the lottery being born here. On my last deployment, every port I went to was littered with Russians who literally had Eastern European women as sex slaves. Entire floors of hotels are blocked off and that where the hookers are forced to live. Even to this day I think about it and don't hear anything about it in Hollywood. It's so sad to see such pretty women kidnapped and drugged and forced into sex trafficking. The #### you see on the movies (Taken, equalizer) doesn't do justice. If these Hollywood bimbos knew anything about this area they would be talking about the real problems. It's disgusting to think about a 50 year old smelly middle eastern man with a 16 year old Russian teen, but it's even worse to see it in person and not be able to do anything about it. There I'm done.
Jesus ...thats a pretty grim picture you just painted

I didn't really feel any emotion until they showed the live shots of people honoring him during the credits.
I agree. A lot of the scenes that were supposed to be "emotional" felt really clunky.

and the scene where he takes out 'Mustafa' or whatever...right afterwords the black guy with him says something like "good job, (dead friend) would be proud". Then he gives him a :thumubup:. I almost laughed
If that's what the guy said, that's what the guy said. In any event, I actually appreciated that Eastwood showed some restraint and didn't go all out turning this into some sappy biopic with a soaring score designed to tug at your heartstrings and manipulate your emotions.

:goodposting:

Preach it brother.

Damn.

I didn't really feel any emotion until they showed the live shots of people honoring him during the credits.
I agree. A lot of the scenes that were supposed to be "emotional" felt really clunky.

and the scene where he takes out 'Mustafa' or whatever...right afterwords the black guy with him says something like "good job, (dead friend) would be proud". Then he gives him a :thumubup:. I almost laughed
If that's what the guy said, that's what the guy said. In any event, I actually appreciated that Eastwood showed some restraint and didn't go all out turning this into some sappy biopic with a soaring score designed to tug at your heartstrings and manipulate your emotions.
I disagree. It's the job of the directors and actors to relay what the characters are feeling. To put us in the moment and see what they were seeing. Without purpose, it's just home movies.

I'm not knocking the story or what he had to go through, I wish I would have come away feeling differently. When I think of other war movies, this didn't have the same effect that Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, or even Forrest Gump had on me.

:shrug: It was goofy. Even if it was something that a real person actually said/did.

I need to remember the speech his father gave at the dinner table about the sheep/sheepdog/wolf for my son's that was great.

Movie was a great reminder of what a ship hole it is over there and the scum our soldiers face risking their life on a daily basis. The drill was disturbing. Have heard stories about the women/kids with bombs.....what an unbelievable mess.

Also Michael Moore is the most worthless human I can think of and for the guys in the FFA forum cherry picking quotes of his to bash him I'm gonna guess he did a little more for his country than you ever will.

I disagree. It's the job of the directors and actors to relay what the characters are feeling. To put us in the moment and see what they were seeing. Without purpose, it's just home movies. I'm not knocking the story or what he had to go through, I wish I would have come away feeling differently. When I think of other war movies, this didn't have the same effect that Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, or even Forrest Gump had on me.

I guess Eastwood could have added some slow-mo and adagio for strings -

- but I don't think that is what he was going for.

I disagree. It's the job of the directors and actors to relay what the characters are feeling. To put us in the moment and see what they were seeing. Without purpose, it's just home movies. I'm not knocking the story or what he had to go through, I wish I would have come away feeling differently. When I think of other war movies, this didn't have the same effect that Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, or even Forrest Gump had on me.

He did with the long range shot? Not that Eastwood is perfect with all of his films, but Pale Rider, Unforgiven, Gran Torino I think were better than this film from a directing standpoint.

He did with the long range shot? Not that Eastwood is perfect with all of his films, but Pale Rider, Unforgiven, Gran Torino I think were better than this film from a directing standpoint.The slow motion bullet shot was meant to tug at your heart strings?

This is fantastic.

no, but neither did the Platoon clip you posted.

Elias' death wasn't meant to evoke an emotional reaction?

no, but neither did the Platoon clip you posted.
The slow-mo death scene of Elias set to perhaps the saddest piece of music in cinematic history was not meant to tug at your heart strings and evoke an emotional response? People were crying in the movie theater during that scene.

It didn't tug at my heart strings. If anything, I would say it evoked anger or disgust.

It didn't tug at my heart strings. If anything, I would say it evoked anger or disgust.So the slow-mo scene set to a sad soaring score evoked an emotional reaction in you. Like I said, Eastwood could have employed those conventions, but chose not to. I for one am glad he went the direction he did.Edit to add: Interestingly, he did employ those conventions during the credits, and that's the only time you felt any emotion. Proof that the conventions work, I guess.

So the slow-mo scene set to sad soaring score evoked an emotional reaction in you. Like I said, Eastwood could have employed those conventions, but chose not to. I for one am glad he went the direction he did.
What was the reaction by Charlie Sheen's character? Different people see the same movie in different ways. :shrug: Often times I judge a movie based on two things. Did it have an emotional effect (through laughter, sadness, anger) and would I watch the movie a second or third time. Neither of these apply in this case. I think the subject matter and story deserved better. But, who really cares what I think. If you enjoyed the movie, I'm happy for you.

Should I watch this movie? The quotes from the real dude make him sound like a goon.
I also think Bradley Cooper's a ####ty actor, and that we had no business being in Iraq a second time. And that you're not a good person just by virtue of being a member of the US military. Am I answering my own question?
Kyle signed up to go anywhere to protect us. Whether going into Iraq or not was right it's irrelevant regarding Kline.

Whether he's a good person or not I can't say. Can say we're lucky to have people like him.

Preach it brother.

Dang. I'm sorry you had to see that kind of crap. I can't but think I'd be mad if I saw what you saw.

People seem to be able to say whatever they want in here as long as it's not overly vulgar.If you are being an ### though you can expect to get called out.
If having a sincere opinion about something -- and stating it here without reservation -- is being an ####, I'll accept that.
How bad were you abused when you were growing up. Not enough apparently.
Well, I did spend my formative years in a US government prison camp for kids, and was able to escape at age 18.

And guess what? I don't like Michael Moore or Newt Gingrich. But I do like Laurence Vance:

Gingrich replies to Michael Moore’s criticism of “American Sniper”: “Michael Moore should spend a few weeks with ISIS and Boko Haram. Then he might appreciate@AmericanSniper. I am proud of our defenders.” U.S. snipers our are defenders? Are they perched atop a U.S. building ready to pick off some foreign invader of the United States? Of course not. Chris Kyle did not kill to defend any American. He did not kill for my “right to post some dumb ### s**t” about him, like I was told yesterday. He killed, by his own admission, because he thought that Iraqis were savages who deserved to die and because he liked killing them. He killed for his bloated ego, not to defend the United States.

All I can say is this movie is spot on.

What does that even mean?

This is a very honest movie and I praise Bradley Cooper for his work.

I like Cooper as an actor.

People who haven't been overseas shouldn't comment on things they don't know about.

Seriously?

That area of the world is a different planet than this place.

[SIZE=15.4545450210571px]Even people who haven't traveled overseas know this.[/SIZE]

There is a reason that enlisted personnel are usually rated in the top 1 or 2 of most stressful jobs because it is just that.

That is a good point: it's a job that people volunteer for. These people are not heroes, and they're not "defending" us.

They have life and death at their hands on a daily basis and lives are lost with them trying to be politically correct from people thinking they are murderous, brutal people over here.

"Lives are lost." Excellent use of the passive voice. Lives are lost on both "sides." That's what this nasty war business is all about.

They have to account for every bullet they shoot over there and still save themselves and their brothers over there making pennies on the dollar.

[SIZE=15.4545450210571px]Pennies on the dollar? Again, they volunteered for the "job" at the offered wage.[/SIZE]

They are invading areas that are trapped,

You used the key word there: invading. INVADING, not DEFENDING.

kids and women are spies, cars are rigged with explosives, and you don't have actual food or running water. So you are eating MREs, crapping off a center block, living in a non AC area when it's 120+ outside for a couple weeks making five digits a year with a pipe dream that you might get a college degree and be have a normal life in the good ole USA while people like Seth Rogen and Michael Moore can criticize you in AC house behind a computer making 7 digits a year and have no idea how that area of the world works.

Were Seth Rogen and Michael Moore born making 7 figures?

I know I'm ranting but im just fired up right now.

[SIZE=15.4545450210571px]Nothing wrong with ranting and defending what you believe.[/SIZE]

People don't know what kind of opportunity they have here. They won the lottery being born here.

Good point.

On my last deployment, every port I went to was littered with Russians who literally had Eastern European women as sex slaves. Entire floors of hotels are blocked off and that where the hookers are forced to live. Even to this day I think about it and don't hear anything about it in Hollywood. It's so sad to see such pretty women kidnapped and drugged and forced into sex trafficking. The #### you see on the movies (Taken, equalizer) doesn't do justice. If these Hollywood bimbos knew anything about this area they would be talking about the real problems. It's disgusting to think about a 50 year old smelly middle eastern man with a 16 year old Russian teen, but it's even worse to see it in person and not be able to do anything about it. There I'm done.

What you describe is indeed horrific. I don't see, however, that legitimizes the role of the US government/military acting as the king of the world with its vast, destructive empire.

Here's an interesting take by Robert Wenzel:

The Time I Undermined the Spirit of a Government Trained Killer Worshipper
Mark Alvarez, of the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies, posts at WEB Commentary:

I've made up my mind. I will go watch American Sniper. I will do so for two reasons. One is because of the despicable ways people have hated on Chris Kyle. Another reason is that I believe Chris Kyle is a hero.
As wrong as our foreign policy has been, I separate the politicians and policy makers from military service members. It's why I don't spend time trashing the police. Or even VA employees. You don't blame those in the employ of the government for failing policies. What does make me feel good is to remind myself there are a lot of good people in government. The problem is policies, not the pawns.
Chris Kyle did not deserve death. To say so is to say that all members of the U.S. military deserve death. An attack on Chris Kyle is an attack on everybody who has served and is serving in the military. There. Now call me a bad libertarian because I don't hate Chris Kyle.
I never thought I would have to say this, but I believe there are Ron Paul types who hate military service members. I can give you an example. Earlier in 2014, when I wanted to make a case against the VA Accountability Act from a free market, libertarian perspective, not even advocating any veteran get anything, I submitted a piece to EconomicPolicyJournal.com. I stood with VA executives on that issue, and I believe it was an important one. That's the right of Wenzel to not run it, but this was his response I received:
"Thanks, but I see veterans as retired government trained killers. Thus, discussing any kind of gvt help for these people is not a libertarian or free market topic." -Robert Wenzel[/indent]

What that did to me? It undermines my spirit, as I think about how I was treated as if I hate the troops because I care about the troops. But standing up to these people rejuvenates my spirit. It's self-evident to me that working with or through these Ron Paul type elements within the GOP requires having to hate military service members. I can't go along with that. I challenge these people like Robert Wenzel and William Norman Grigg and several others, especially in the Nevada GOP, to get over their hatred of military service members. Questioning the policies is bad, but attacking the character of, and putting a guilt trip on, the troops is fine?
For the record, I don't hate members of the military. I think many of them are simply misguided and believe that the adventures of the Empire are somehow battles to "protect America." That's all nonsense.
I know a few military men, who are libertarian leaning and that's for the good, we need libertarian infiltrators everywhere.
That said, military personnel are all government trained killers or work in support of government trained killers. That's a fact, not hate.

Mark Alvarez, of the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies, posts at WEB Commentary:

I've made up my mind. I will go watch American Sniper. I will do so for two reasons. One is because of the despicable ways people have hated on Chris Kyle. Another reason is that I believe Chris Kyle is a hero.
As wrong as our foreign policy has been, I separate the politicians and policy makers from military service members. It's why I don't spend time trashing the police. Or even VA employees. You don't blame those in the employ of the government for failing policies. What does make me feel good is to remind myself there are a lot of good people in government. The problem is policies, not the pawns.
Chris Kyle did not deserve death. To say so is to say that all members of the U.S. military deserve death. An attack on Chris Kyle is an attack on everybody who has served and is serving in the military. There. Now call me a bad libertarian because I don't hate Chris Kyle.
I never thought I would have to say this, but I believe there are Ron Paul types who hate military service members. I can give you an example. Earlier in 2014, when I wanted to make a case against the VA Accountability Act from a free market, libertarian perspective, not even advocating any veteran get anything, I submitted a piece to EconomicPolicyJournal.com. I stood with VA executives on that issue, and I believe it was an important one. That's the right of Wenzel to not run it, but this was his response I received:
"Thanks, but I see veterans as retired government trained killers. Thus, discussing any kind of gvt help for these people is not a libertarian or free market topic." -Robert Wenzel
What that did to me? It undermines my spirit, as I think about how I was treated as if I hate the troops because I care about the troops. But standing up to these people rejuvenates my spirit. It's self-evident to me that working with or through these Ron Paul type elements within the GOP requires having to hate military service members. I can't go along with that. I challenge these people like Robert Wenzel and William Norman Grigg and several others, especially in the Nevada GOP, to get over their hatred of military service members. Questioning the policies is bad, but attacking the character of, and putting a guilt trip on, the troops is fine?For the record, I don't hate members of the military. I think many of them are simply misguided and believe that the adventures of the Empire are somehow battles to "protect America." That's all nonsense.

I know a few military men, who are libertarian leaning and that's for the good, we need libertarian infiltrators everywhere.

That said, military personnel are all government trained killers or work in support of government trained killers. That's a fact, not hate.
You mean Mark Alvarez? Because Wenzel's take is anything but interesting.

"Thanks, but I see veterans as retired government trained killers. Thus, discussing any kind of gvt help for these people is not a libertarian or free market topic." -Robert Wenzel
What that did to me? It undermines my spirit, as I think about how I was treated as if I hate the troops because I care about the troops. But standing up to these people rejuvenates my spirit. It's self-evident to me that working with or through these Ron Paul type elements within the GOP requires having to hate military service members. I can't go along with that. I challenge these people like Robert Wenzel and William Norman Grigg and several others, especially in the Nevada GOP, to get over their hatred of military service members. Questioning the policies is bad, but attacking the character of, and putting a guilt trip on, the troops is fine?For the record, I don't hate members of the military. I think many of them are simply misguided and believe that the adventures of the Empire are somehow battles to "protect America." That's all nonsense.

You mean Mark Alvarez?
No, the last three paragraphs (almost sentences) are Alvarez' response.

It's a pretty radical libertarian position, one Jack is constantly trying to pass off as the true "libertarian" one. Libertarians operate in degrees, much like socialists have for the past fifty years. It's sort of a common joke that the internecine fighting that goes on between libertarians is effective in keeping them from getting any sort of coherent message out.

The sense that I get is whether you think this movie is pro-war or anti-war, and whether you think the depiction of Chris Kyle in the film is as a hero, a pawn or a monster depends a lot on your perspective going in. It's one of the reasons I like the film. It doesn't beat you over the head with a predetermined moral conclusion.

The sense that I get is whether you think this movie is pro-war or anti-war, and whether you think the depiction of Chris Kyle in the film is as a hero, a pawn or a monster depends a lot on your perspective going in. It's one of the reasons I like the film. It doesn't beat you over the head with a predetermined moral conclusion.
I was just typing that I find the hue and cry about this movie amazing. As soon as you have a relevant piece of competent art that comes from the perceived right, then it's time to get political about art or start the thread down political paths.

I find this very revealing about both the current political climate within the arts, and also this board.

You mean Mark Alvarez?

It's a pretty radical libertarian position, one Jack is constantly trying to pass off as the true "libertarian" one. Libertarians operate in degrees, much like socialists have for the past fifty years. It's sort of a common joke that the internecine fighting that goes on between libertarians is effective in keeping them from getting any sort of coherent message out.
Ah, got it now. The formatting was confusing.

You mean Mark Alvarez?

Ah, got it now. The formatting was confusing.
Yeah, I had to click on the link. The formatting was off, but it didn't make sense for Jack to post otherwise, frankly.

Should I watch this movie? The quotes from the real dude make him sound like a goon.
It's a good movie. Not Oscar worthy IMO though.
With the weak group this year as well as the having up to 10 nominees I don't think it's a stretch. It's on par with The Imitation Game.
Nightcrawler, Whiplash, Inherent Vice, Birdman, and Gone Girl are all superior movies. Imitation Game was ok but not in my top 10 list.

Users who are viewing this thread