What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else enjoy seeing the real Jay Cutler? (1 Viewer)

Cutler will get the stats we like in fantasy football.

It remains to be seen if he'll become a winner. Check out his win/loss record in college and in the NFL.

Cutler will get the stats we like in fantasy football.It remains to be seen if he'll become a winner. Check out his win/loss record in college and in the NFL.
So the fact that he drove the field, chewed up 6 mins, on the road to get the lead with 2 mins to go and his defense couldn't hold it means he can't win? Ok.

I can't stand Cutler, but his receivers were awful tonight. Knox on that last play was about as weak as you can play the position.

You would think I'd be happy that I benched Cutler, but he actually did better than my starter Palmer. Might be a rough year at QB for me.

Boy I feel so bad for Cutler. His WR's pissed in his lemonaid tonight. I'm so glad I don't have Cutler on any of my teams because his team let him down BIG time tonight.

i can't criticize cutler since he actually outscored the starting QB on my fantasy team today (thanks, matt schaub)

how many of cutler's ints were from plays when he footwork fundamentals?

I remember in Denver that was the source of many INTs. I think his first and last were tonight but I'm not sure.

Packer D looks great - Cutler making some iffy throws, but I agree with Collinsworth - Bear WR's are not completing their routes. On replays you can see that Cutler is throwing where he is anticipating the WR to continue running. Instead they are stopping. Making him look a lot worse for sure.
Agreed. At least two, possibly three of the INTs were directly the result of his WRs leaving him out to dry. Of course, there was another pass or two that SHOULD HAVE been picked that were all on him. Still, this has always been the book on Cutler, owing largely to his days at Vanderbilt (where he always felt the need to make something happen, because he was all they had). He forces a lot of throws. The INTs go along with that. It's the price you pay for the good... and there's plenty of good to go along with those INTs.
Cutler will get the stats we like in fantasy football.It remains to be seen if he'll become a winner. Check out his win/loss record in college and in the NFL.
While you're at it, check out his teams in college and the NFL.

So the fact that he drove the field, chewed up 6 mins, on the road to get the lead with 2 mins to go and his defense couldn't hold it means he can't win? Ok.
NFL = 17 wins 21 losses (includes the Ed Hocoli win)College = 11 wins 34 lossesSo yes... it remains to be seen if he'll be a winner. Just like I said.Sure he can't play every position, but perhaps he's not the game changer some fans think he is. Remains to be seen, just like I said.Don't take it personal.

I think if anything we learned tonight that Cutler is relying on his old teammate a little too much. At least 2 maybe as many as 4 incomplete or near picks were targeted to Bennet. It appears to me that Cutler was forcing the ball to Bennet versus making progression through his reads. The one that stands out is throwing to Bennet with 4 packer defenders within 3 yards.

was vanderbilt any good when cutler, bennett and the starting OL were there?
No.The answer to any football question that starts with "Was Vanderbilt any good" is always no.
Actually, Vandy's gotten pretty decent now. Bobby Johnson credits a lot of it to Cutler- he attracted some big-time recruits to Vandy, and helped restore them to some level of respectability.Back when Cutler was there, though... Vandy was terrible. Really bad. If you want to know what a 1-man offense looks like, see if you can get your hands on film of the Florida/Vanderbilt game his Senior year. He almost won that game single-handedly. As a Gators fan, there hasn't been another player in the SEC since I've been watching that terrified me more than Cutler. Thank God he didn't have any help around him (Bennett was a freshman when Cutler was a senior and Cutler was gone before Bennett fully developed).Edit: But yeah, ESPN recently did the "prestige rankings" and rated every Division 1 college football team in terms of its history, and iirc Vanderbilt came in dead last behind all of the WAC teams, the MAC teams, the CUSA teams, and the teams like FAU who have only been playing Div1 football for less than a decade. It's not an exaggeration to say that they're probably the worst college football team in history.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand Cutler, but his receivers were awful tonight. Knox on that last play was about as weak as you can play the position.
I keep seeing these comments and I just don't agree. The INTs were mostly on Cutler and the last one in particular. Knox was covered like a blanket. It had nothing to do with him giving up on the play. Cutler made a bad read. Bennett didn't drop a catchable ball all night and caught 7 for 66; you could fault him for that off sides but that's not the worst thing in the world for a young player. Hester did what I expected: a couple of big plays. Olsen disappointed by not getting open and dropping a few.He and the receivers definitely don't know each other well enough yet and Cutler doesn't seem to know the playbook well enough IMO. He just doesn't seem comfortable making his check downs yet. But it was the first game. I expect they will all keep getting better.

I would imagine if orton throws 4 picks and loses the game on the 4th, either last year w/the bears or this week, there'd be a rain of fire down on him as the worst qb ever.

cutler just gets a bunch of excuses made for him.

when are you people going to take his posters down off your bedroom walls?

I would imagine if orton throws 4 picks and loses the game on the 4th, either last year w/the bears or this week, there'd be a rain of fire down on him as the worst qb ever.cutler just gets a bunch of excuses made for him.when are you people going to take his posters down off your bedroom walls?
"Salvation lies within." :lmao:

You mean that drive that was kept alive by a phantom illegal contact penalty? :mellow:

A couple of weeks ago, at the top of Mt. Evans here in Colorado, an loud Bears fan was making a comment to another about "thanking all these people" for our new QB. As he said that, I couldn't help but 1)be a bit pissed...and 2)think about games like tonight.

Is Cutler more talented than Kyle Orton? Of course he is. But to think Cutler is some kind of savior at QB or even a "winner" in the NFL is highly questionable. He consistently makes terrible decisions, has terrible footwork (which he gets away with sometimes because of his rocket arm), and probably blames his WR's as much as most of the people in this thread have. Will he become a great QB? Who knows...but I'm not convinced.

As Chicago began that last drive, which didn't last long, I had no confidence that Cutler would lead the Bears back. In fact, I expected that an INT was more likely. I honestly can't remember a 4th quarter drive that Cutler led to win a game for the Broncos while he was here. Also, if you look at the replay....sure the WR needs to fight for position, but Cutler did not lead him....looked like a bad throw to me.

:mellow: at all of the Cutler apologists. Not only did he have 4 INTs, he had several other terrible passes. Even Collinsworth had to admit it eventually.

Back when Cutler was there, though... Vandy was terrible. Really bad. If you want to know what a 1-man offense looks like, see if you can get your hands on film of the Florida/Vanderbilt game his Senior year. He almost won that game single-handedly. As a Gators fan, there hasn't been another player in the SEC since I've been watching that terrified me more than Cutler. Thank God he didn't have any help around him (Bennett was a freshman when Cutler was a senior and Cutler was gone before Bennett fully developed).
Yeah what he did in such an awful situation was pretty incredible.For those who question whether Cutler can make clutch plays and win games...

Cutler beats Tennessee

Back when Cutler was there, though... Vandy was terrible. Really bad. If you want to know what a 1-man offense looks like, see if you can get your hands on film of the Florida/Vanderbilt game his Senior year. He almost won that game single-handedly. As a Gators fan, there hasn't been another player in the SEC since I've been watching that terrified me more than Cutler. Thank God he didn't have any help around him (Bennett was a freshman when Cutler was a senior and Cutler was gone before Bennett fully developed).
Yeah what he did in such an awful situation was pretty incredible.For those who question whether Cutler can make clutch plays and win games...

Cutler beats Tennessee
And in that same year they lost at home versus Middle Tennesee State - 17-15 - and Cutler looked like he did tonight. Had they beat MTSU they would have gone to a bowl game.

I would imagine if orton throws 4 picks and loses the game on the 4th, either last year w/the bears or this week, there'd be a rain of fire down on him as the worst qb ever.cutler just gets a bunch of excuses made for him.when are you people going to take his posters down off your bedroom walls?
I'm fine with crucifying a player for something, just as long as it's actually his fault.Wanna get on Cutler for losing his head whenever pressure came up the middle? Be my guest. Want to get on Cutler for developing tunnel vision for Bennett? Go right ahead. Want to get on Cutler for being terribly out of sync in the first half? By all means. Want to get on Cutler for throwing 4 INTs? No sir- two, arguably three of those picks were the result of WRs cutting off routes early. Cutler threw the ball where the WR was supposed to be. The fact that the WR wasn't there is on the WR.Not all INTs are created equal. Sometimes it's a QB's fault (he telegraphs his pass, his pass is off-target, he doesn't see a defender, he screws up a read). Sometimes it's a WR's fault (he runs the wrong route, he cuts his route off early, he tips/bobbles the pass, he doesn't go for the ball to even contest the catch). Sometimes it's no one's fault (perfect example- Ben's INT on 3rd and 23 with 1 second left in the first half).

:mellow: at all of the Cutler apologists. Not only did he have 4 INTs, he had several other terrible passes. Even Collinsworth had to admit it eventually.
When he threw to a WR with 4 guys on him and almost picked off, the announcer said Brett Favre would have been proud.

:goodposting: at all of the Cutler apologists. Not only did he have 4 INTs, he had several other terrible passes. Even Collinsworth had to admit it eventually.
When he threw to a WR with 4 guys on him and almost picked off, the announcer said Brett Favre would have been proud.
If they kept a stat for "QB who hit DB's in the hands but didn't end up as INT's", Cutler would already be the all-time NFL record holder. :yes:

As Chicago began that last drive, which didn't last long, I had no confidence that Cutler would lead the Bears back. In fact, I expected that an INT was more likely. I honestly can't remember a 4th quarter drive that Cutler led to win a game for the Broncos while he was here.
You must not have a very good memory. Jay Cutler directed go-ahead drives in the 4th against Kansas City, Atlanta, and Cleveland, in addition to that unforgettable (albeit controversial) game-winning drive against San Diego (complete with clutch 2-point conversion for the win). All four drives ended with a game-winning TD pass (rather than a run or a FG). That means fully *HALF* of Denver's wins last year were on Cutler 4th quarter game-winning TD passes. In 2007, he directed 5 game-winning or game-tying FG drives (one against Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota, and two against Oakland). So, to recap... in Cutler's two full seasons as a starter, Denver has won 15 games. In those 15 wins there have been 4 game-winning 4th quarter TD passes, 1 game-winning 4th quarter 2-point conversion pass, 3 game-winning 4th quarter FGs, 1 game-tying 4th quarter FG, and 1 game-winning FG in overtime. 9 game-saving drives and a game-winning 2 point conversion in 15 wins. Like I said, seems like a case of poor memory.

what i saw was a QB out of sync with his receivers. and the receivers get just as much of the blame, if not more, for horrible route running.

and i dont have Cutler and im not a bears fan.

Both of these teams need to get the hell out of the shotgun so much and use their damn RB's. Both QB's played better when they were playing from under center and using the run to set up the pass.

I blame Cutler for two of the picks. The last one, Knox wasn't open, and was falling down. Two others were miscommunication picks, but one one of those, he had a couple throws dropped that should've been picks.

Blame to Cutler can also be merited if he was audibilizing to the pass a lot, or if not, horrible play calling. The Bears not establishing the run, meant they were one-dimensional, and I didn't see too many play action passes - it also seems like Cutler's not good with the faking.

And having to listen to collinworth is going to make the Sunday night games much less enjoyable.

NFL = 17 wins 21 losses (includes the Ed Hocoli win)College = 11 wins 34 lossesSo yes... it remains to be seen if he'll be a winner. Just like I said.Sure he can't play every position, but perhaps he's not the game changer some fans think he is. Remains to be seen, just like I said.Don't take it personal.
Winner and game changer is two different debates. There is no question he is a game changer. As was said originaly, it remains to be seen if he is a winner.

Its not personal at all. I just think the whole he can't win thing is a joke and a ridiculously simplistic statment. Remember when Manning was a choker and couldn't win a big game?

Packer D looks great - Cutler making some iffy throws, but I agree with Collinsworth - Bear WR's are not completing their routes. On replays you can see that Cutler is throwing where he is anticipating the WR to continue running. Instead they are stopping. Making him look a lot worse for sure.
:confused:

The stat that jumped out last night for me was that the Bears only completed 2 passes for over 30 yards last year. Cutler had 2 last night. It will take time to find the right players at receiver and for this team to gel, but I have no doubt that Cutler will be fine. If the Bears have a losing season maybe they'll sack Lovie and bring in Shanny. One can dream. And for the Donkey fans lovin the moment, I guarantee that Orton will never be holding a Lombardi over his head so I don't really see the point in all the glee. For as bad as the Bears looked, Denver looked worse against a bad team. Have a fun season!

The stat that jumped out last night for me was that the Bears only completed 2 passes for over 30 yards last year. Cutler had 2 last night. It will take time to find the right players at receiver and for this team to gel, but I have no doubt that Cutler will be fine. If the Bears have a losing season maybe they'll sack Lovie and bring in Shanny. One can dream. And for the Donkey fans lovin the moment, I guarantee that Orton will never be holding a Lombardi over his head so I don't really see the point in all the glee. For as bad as the Bears looked, Denver looked worse against a bad team. Have a fun season!
Neither will Cutler my friend, neither will Cutler. At least us Denver fans can hold our heads high and realize that Orton will only be our fill in QB for a season or two. Bears fans will be fustrated with the Cutler roller coaster ride for the next 10 years or so. Sure you'll be better than average with Cutler, but last I checked there isn't a better than average bowl scheduled in the next 10 years.

Every year, the Shark Pool is DELUGED with threads following Week One that amount to:

A) Look at how smart I was!

B) Look at how dumb you were!

C) All of the above

And then half of those very same threads look RIDICULOUS within a few weeks and people either slink away with their tails between their legs or have to main up and eat crow.

One week does not a season make. If your team looks unbeatable, it's probably not. If your team looks like it's headed for the basement, you're probably still a contender.

The stat that jumped out last night for me was that the Bears only completed 2 passes for over 30 yards last year. Cutler had 2 last night. It will take time to find the right players at receiver and for this team to gel, but I have no doubt that Cutler will be fine.
Not sure where the bolded statement comes from. Orton had a 51 yard TD to Booker, a 65 yard TD to Hester, and a 52 yard completion to Olsen last year, and he completed a total of 13 passes for 30 or more yards. That doesn't sound like a lot, but you do have to consider that he only attempted 465 passes. As a point of comparison, Manning only had 14 completions of 30+ yards in 555 attempts. And Manning had better receiving targets than Orton had.Maybe the point was that they only completed two passes all season where the ball traveled 30+ yards in the air...? But I find that hard to believe with a total of 13 30+ yard completions. And it wasn't just Orton. Grossman played a few games and attempted 62 passes, but had no completions of 30 yards or more (he did have a 29 yard completion).

Regardless, it seems very likely they will have more long completions this season with Cutler (and with improved play from Hester), which was presumably your point here.

Cutler is usually worse when he's in an away game. Look back at the stats while he was with the Bronco's. He's not consistant, so if you have a decent QB2, use him when Cutler is not at home.

Users who are viewing this thread