What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back to the 80s Movies: 1982 (2 Viewers)

Honestly, most of the movies listed in the OP are pretty overrated.  Kahn is still easily the best Star Trek movie, but it's not going to make everyone like Star Trek.  E.T. is pretty magical if you let yourself be childish (in a good way). An Officer and a Gentleman is legitimately good.  Beyond that, its a bunch of moments or scenes.  

Take for instance First Blood.  The opening where he's abused by the cops is pretty good.  But then he hides in the woods and blows up a whole town and it makes the ending sequence hollow.  Or Fast Times - yes, the one scene is indelible.  But as someone that didn't get to high school until the 90s, none of the rest of the film is memorable.  Blade Runner is more impactful for the set design than it is as a story.  Maybe the Secret of NIMH holds up, I haven't seen it in forever, but I think in general MOP is looking back with nostalgia.  

Other movies I liked from '82 (my HS graduation year):

Porky's - Some good belly laughs from a movie that probably doesn't hold up with time, like some have said about Fast Times.. which is one of my favorites from that year.

48 hours - Nolte and Murphy.  Fun cop movie with some humor.

The Last American Virgin - Similar in some ways to Fast Times.  Nice soundtrack.  And excellent ending.  

Night Shift - Keaton was a hoot.  Winkler not accepting his egg salad sandwich with mustard was a fun scene.   

Of the 8 films you listed, 3 were adaptions of literary works and 2 were sequels.  Not exactly original material.
Meh ... I shoulda said a "healthy" number or a "significant" number of original screenplays.

I gotta say, though ... even with adapted material, stuff like Conan and Star Trek II were bigger risks at the time than it appears in hindsight. While the '60s Star Trek series was still in syndication, the franchise was coming off an aborted second series attempt and a disappointing box office return for the first film. If Wrath of Kahn hadn't been a grand slam, the franchise would've been considerably weakened as a financial vehicle (probably not permanently, but still).

I guess I never thought Fast Times was super funny to begin with.  I just love it because it has that Breakfast Club factor of connecting with people and being more universal because they did similar stuff or know people like that growing up. I would think there is a character or situation for just about anybody to latch on to.   Sure there are funny things in there, but there are just moments of honesty and nice observations that transcend it over other teenage comedies like Porky's or that ilk.  (not that I don't love Porky's too). 

some other ones I liked in 82: Das Boot, Diner, Diva (one of my personal all-time favorites), Deathtrap, Victor/Victoria, Eating Raoul, My Favorite Year, Gandhi

On Fast Times, I don't think it should be graded on its ability to hold up after 34 years. I feel that movie is a perfect snapshot of that point in time. I had two girls who looked like Pat Benetar on my high school. I wore a skinny tie with a piano keyboard on it. I went to arcades. That movie still encapsulates the time frame like no other one.

And it has Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool. That's the moment I became a man. 

On Fast Times, I don't think it should be graded on its ability to hold up after 34 years. I feel that movie is a perfect snapshot of that point in time. I had two girls who looked like Pat Benetar on my high school. I wore a skinny tie with a piano keyboard on it. I went to arcades. That movie still encapsulates the time frame like no other one.

And it has Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool. That's the moment I became a man. 
totally agree... this one and Dazed & Confused are pretty perfect zeitgeist snapshots.

and fwiw- there's an even better Phoebe movie out there... 

That's great and all if you lived it.  If you didn't its a pretty bad movie.

KarmaPolice said:
I guess I never thought Fast Times was super funny to begin with.  I just love it because it has that Breakfast Club factor of connecting with people and being more universal because they did similar stuff or know people like that growing up. I would think there is a character or situation for just about anybody to latch on to.   Sure there are funny things in there, but there are just moments of honesty and nice observations that transcend it over other teenage comedies like Porky's or that ilk.  (not that I don't love Porky's too). 
This is how I feel about Fast Times as well. It perfectly captured that early to mid 80's high school vibe. 

I have never seen Fast Times. :shrug:

Nor have I seen Porky's or Risky Business (all similar-ish movies)

We didn't have cable and by the time I was old enough to rent them on my own I didn't care to see them anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

We didn't have cable and by the time I was old enough to rent them on my own I didn't care to see them anymore.
Porky's was the first movie I ever saw bush in.  Me and my friends were 15 and there was a theater near us that always had two different movies going.  We bought tickets for the other movie, which was something ridiculous to think 15 yr olds would be seeing like "Officer and a Gentleman" or "Sophie's Choice", then we snuck out of that movie and into Porky's after it started.   :thumbup:

yea, all of these are "you kind of had to be there" type films. Maybe Risky Business stands out as being more than that.

Porky's was the first movie I ever saw bush in.  Me and my friends were 15 and there was a theater near us that always had two different movies going.  We bought tickets for the other movie, which was something ridiculous to think 15 yr olds would be seeing like "Officer and a Gentleman" or "Sophie's Choice", then we snuck out of that movie and into Porky's after it started.   :thumbup:
:lol:

To be fair, while Blade Runnner isn't awful, it is pretty dull for long stretches.

The scene where Deckard examines the picture and finds the scale, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, while Blade Runnner isn't awful, it is pretty dull for long stretches.

The scene where Deckard examines the picture and finds the scale, for example.
Ridley Scott as did many directors when I lived in LosAng and I'm sure still do; he played Blade Runner and then had a Q&A after. To see his movie on a big screen as it was meant to be seen in all it's glory, there were things I had missed viewing it on an old 80s style TV, they weren't flat screen. 

I'm sure a lot of you have 80" screens and you see these movies in big formats but TVs of all shapes can make a film look smaller than it should and certain shots become distorted, it's a problem.

I was born in '74, I can sit thru some quiet moments and not get as bored as others. Some movies I like have almost no special efx in them. I don't need a constant barrage of hits to make a film interesting. What is unique at times in Blade Runner is the fact it is Sci Fi but not constant lasers being fired in every direction. There is a lot of emotion in the film. Rutger Hauer turns in a riveting performance and in the end he just wanted to live forever or longer...it's got a good theme. 

Blade Runner is film noir that happens to have a sci-fi setting. While the setting and mood are phenomenal it doesn't excuse the parts where the story gets tedious.

Porky's holds up IMO. I saw it in the mid 90's as a teen and still laughed. It has a lot of the standard movie tropes like revenge against a bully, nerdy guy gets his day, rah rah local town rallies around rag tag hometown boys.

Fast Times does not. It hits that nostalgia vibe for those that lived it but otherwise meh.

Fast Times - Spiccoli  - "I can fix it.  My dad has an awesome set of tools"

Followed by the football scene where the linebacker is flying over the o line.   :thumbup:

Some of the older movies lose their luster a little when they get imitated by a lot of other movies.  before 1980 or so, I don't think there were too many movies set in high schools, with stoner, surfer guys, etc.

Blade Runner is film noir that happens to have a sci-fi setting. While the setting and mood are phenomenal it doesn't excuse the parts where the story gets tedious.
I too had a hard time with Blade Runner on first viewing. I saw it way afterwards (like 5 or 6 years ago). So I had all the hype built up in my mind. It disappointed me the first time. Not for the effects but for the ending. I didn't get it at first.

After seeing it another dozen times or so, it's one of my favorite movies. It really is a beautiful film that happens to have a Sci Fi setting. 

Fast Times - Spiccoli  - "I can fix it.  My dad has an awesome set of tools"

Followed by the football scene where the linebacker is flying over the o line.   :thumbup:

Some of the older movies lose their luster a little when they get imitated by a lot of other movies.  before 1980 or so, I don't think there were too many movies set in high schools, with stoner, surfer guys, etc.
Exactly, it was the first of its kind really. I can remember they kept it in theaters even though it was doing mild business. 

I would like to make a link to Cole Smithey and his video review of the film, it's good. Unfortunately he has a photo of a naked JJL(Schwing!) in the essay section and I don't think JB and Co would appreciate me doing that. let me see if I can find just the video on youtube...

And I found it.

I have to vote for 1987 as my banner year for movies. The year that produced some of the most watched movies in my life. Probably helps that I was 9 and most of these movies would go on to shape my own pre-pubescent years.

The top ten at the box office that year:

1. 3 Men and a Baby ($168M) - I like this movie. It had Magnum PI, Sam Malone, and Carey Mahoney. I was 9. I loved it. Still do. #### off!
  2. Fatal Attraction ($157M) - Didn't see it until I was 13. It certainly made an impression. I have never cheated. Ever.
  3. Beverly Hills Cop II ($154M) - Eddie Murphy when he was still unleashed and not family friendly. Still love this movie.
  4. Good Morning Vietnam ($124M) - Not my cup of tea, but still rates pretty high.
  5. Moonstruck ($80.6M) - Saw this once. Didn't this win awards? Oh and Nic Cage!
  6. Untouchables ($76.3M) - I was 9, this movie kicked ###!
  7. The Secret of My Success ($67M) - Very 80's, but I still enjoy this movie. There is no doubt that Michael J. Fox was a star.
  8. Stakeout ($65.7M) - Very funny movie. Holds up.
  9. Lethal Weapon ($65.2M) - Excellent action flick. Mel Gibson at his best (before he became all anti-Semitic).
  10. Dirty Dancing ($63.9M) - I had a thing for Jennifer Grey. Still have a huge man-crush on Swayze (RIP). Only watched bits and pieces on TV. People love it.
Anything listed below will not include the top ten grossing, since I already commented on each.

Movies that I love from 1987: Full Metal Jacket, Predator, The Princess Bride, Space Balls, Robocop, Empire of the Sun, Raising Arizona, Evil Dead II, Planes Trains and Automobiles, The Monster Squad, The Last Emperor.

Movies I liked or have watched a lot: Adventures in Babysitting, The Lost Boys, Wall Street, The Running Man, Can't Buy Me Love, Hellraiser, Overboard, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors,  Some Kind of Wonderful, Dragnet, Summer School, Harry and the Hendersons, *batteries not included, Prince of Darkness, Innerspace, The Principal, Steel Dawn

Notable: Witches of Eastwick, Less Than Zero, La Bamba, No Way Out, Radio Days, Broadcast News, Throw Momma from the Train, Three O'clock High, The Hidden, Hollywood Shuffle 

Meh: Over the Top, Flowers in the Attic, Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Roxanne, Ishtar

I know MoP has got a 1987 movie thread on the docket.

Gotta say, though ... ColdDeadHands post and the list of 10 Ten box office draws in '87 starkly illustrates how movie finances, both for production and consumption, have just skyrocketed. Yeah, yeah, I know, "Captain Obvious" -- and I know it's been 29 years between 1987 and 2016 (and where were things 29 years before 1987 in 1958?). But still. A big movie can make half a billion today and be considered a massive failure.

So, in brief ... movies have outpaced inflation, by a lot. Why is that?

If this is too much of a hijack, can start a new thread. Seems like the people that would be interested in commenting would likely be visiting this thread, though.

I have to vote for 1987 as my banner year for movies. The year that produced some of the most watched movies in my life. Probably helps that I was 9 and most of these movies would go on to shape my own pre-pubescent years.
This is a big factor, and I wonder how much that plays into things for everybody.

The years when I was 9-10 was when I really started going to the movies a ton made me love them.  That would be the '84-'85 years and Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Neverending Story, Starman, Karate Kid, Sixteen Candles, Footloose, Back to the Future, Goonies, Cocoon, Weird Science, Teen Wolf, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Better off Dead and on and on.  That doesn't even include R rated stuff that I couldn't watch until later like Revenge of the Nerds and Police Academy.  LOVE those years for movies. 

This is a big factor, and I wonder how much that plays into things for everybody.

The years when I was 9-10 was when I really started going to the movies a ton made me love them.  That would be the '84-'85 years and Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Neverending Story, Starman, Karate Kid, Sixteen Candles, Footloose, Back to the Future, Goonies, Cocoon, Weird Science, Teen Wolf, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Better off Dead and on and on.  That doesn't even include R rated stuff that I couldn't watch until later like Revenge of the Nerds and Police Academy.  LOVE those years for movies. 
We're the same age, I just decided to tackle the 80s, and I rolled up on '82 and stopped. '84-'85 lots of good stuff. 

'87 seems more like a typical year to me, some good (Untouchables, Predator), some bad (3 Mean & A Baby,Beverly Hills Cop II).

All opinions are welcome, encouraged, and respected. Even your incorrect opinion.
In the 80s I would rank the top 3 as probably '82, '89(loaded deck of As and Faces), and then '85 is tough because B2tF covers up a so so summer/year but overall as KP pointed out there are a ton of goodies in '84-'85. '87 is a good year but that's what makes the 80s IMO one of the best because even a so so year in the 80s is going to be better than most in say the 90s. Or this current decade we are in. 

KP, that '00 thread is gonna be amazing when you finish. I'm working on the next 80s thread. I'm skipping '83 although I might mention several but it's not even close to '82 IMO. 

Yeah...Risky Business is not similar to Porky's 

Users who are viewing this thread