What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baked potato (3 Viewers)

You eat the skin?

• Can I get a Hell Yeah

Votes: 156 88.6%
  • R U Serious? It's gross

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters
Really depends on how its cooked. The skin on a properly cooked baked potato is delicious. If a potato is just boiled/microwaved with no extra prep, the whole thing sucks.

Dezbelief said:
I can eat a leftover potato right out of the fridge with nothing on it, skin and all.
I can eat mashed potatoes straight from the refrigerator. Good stuff. Never tried a cold baked potato though. I think I’d need the extras  

I see you are a tater microwaver, so probably not an issue (because no foil), but for anyone planning on eating leftover baked potatoes, make sure you take the foil off before putting into the fridge.

Tightly foil wrapped leftover baked potatoes can breed botulism
I'll usually bake a few extra baked potatoes for the next day. I'll make hash browns out of them. You just grate them when they are cold outta the fridge.

The baking removes all the moisture so you end up with some awesome hash browns.

I'll usually bake a few extra baked potatoes for the next day. I'll make hash browns out of them. You just grate them when they are cold outta the fridge.

The baking removes all the moisture so you end up with some awesome hash browns.
I'll have to remember this - I'll make breakfast skillets for the kids and sometimes rather than using frozen hashbrowns have just grated up potatoes to make the fresh, and the draining and squeezing out of the excess moisture is just a pain - will have to try this next time.

Deamon said:
Damn 19-0.

I voted yes but only do about 30% of the time.
Option 2 didnt really leave you any wiggle room. You'd have to say its gross, and you clearly disagree with that. 

voted...sometimes...at home almost always.  

Little olive oil and kosher salt before wrapping in foil and the skin is often the tastiest part.  Or when done in slices in foil on the grill...yeah, clean and slice, don't peel them.

At a restaurant...less likely as they don't season it and there just isn't much flavor.

Need an in between answer.

It's all right and sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't. :shrug:
Same boat for me.  Sometimes the potato is big and the skin is soft and tastes great.  Other times it's kind of hard and dry, and I pass on it those times.

Those who do eat the skin, do you eat a bit with each bite?  Or do you eat all the inside and then eat the skin for dessert?

Those who do eat the skin, do you eat a bit with each bite?  Or do you eat all the inside and then eat the skin for dessert?
Not with each bite. Get a few solid buttery non-skin bites first. Then start with inside + skin bites.

Same way as I eat pizza actually. 

I just basically cut a piece of potato and eat it... So each bite for the most part...unless it's a larger potato where you need to eat a little potato to get closer to the skin

Really depends if it’s a fresh out of the ground potato or one that’s been in some storage bin in Idaho for 3 months. The former is great. The latter (at most supermarkets) sucks

I like to rub the skin in olive oil and sea salt. After cooking has a nice slightly crisp skin that taste delicious.
ding, ding.

and even better if you do this when grilling it.  the skin gets an even better doneness/crispiness vs in the oven.

ding, ding.

and even better if you do this when grilling it.  the skin gets an even better doneness/crispiness vs in the oven.
For the grill, sometimes I will slice up an onion and wrap that up with the potato in foil and then cook on the grill.  The onion adds a little more flavor all around.

I’ve been told recently that air fryer baked potato makes the best , crispiest skin but haven’t tried yet

Last edited by a moderator:
For the grill, sometimes I will slice up an onion and wrap that up with the potato in foil and then cook on the grill.  The onion adds a little more flavor all around.
yeah, but the foil is going to soften the skin.  I used to foil mine as well, but it is so much better without the foil.

yeah, but the foil is going to soften the skin.  I used to foil mine as well, but it is so much better without the foil.
I only foil if I am adding the onions.  You can always throw it back on for a few after unwrapping to crispy up the skin. 

Bake a potato, cut it in half and hollow it out. Sprinkle some salt and pepper in it, put a pat of butter in each half, and eat almost like a stuffed pita. Heaven.

E Street Brat said:
I love them raw.
Wut? Seems like that would mess with your digestive track.

If I'm at home, after it's done I cut up the potato(es) and mash a little before adding the toppings. I then shoot for bites with skin first and leave the middle for last.

When I was a kid my mom would give me her potato skin after I finished my plate, so I guess it was like dessert. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1)  Boiled, skinless, butter, salt, pepper
2) Whipped, with some half & half
3) Baked is a distant 3rd place, skin or not

I usually eat the skin, unless it has been overcooked.  I don't use a lot of salt in my food, and sometimes restaurants will ruin the skin for me by covering the outside in salt.   :yucky:

My wife doesn't eat the skin, but will usually save hers for me.

After eating the middle, the rest of you add bacon, cheese and ranch to make true potato skins, right.... or is that just in my house.....  waistline be damned

Users who are viewing this thread