What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Becoming an Actuary (1 Viewer)

Having worked at both professions, teaching and actuarial work (albeit for a short period of time), the level of exhaustion with respect to teaching is off the charts compared with working as an actuarial analyst at an insurance company. Sure, I worked hard all day at a computer and did some programming, etc. But after my day was over, my day was over, and I didn't have kids on me 24/7. I'm not saying that actuary work is easy but I am saying that the wear and tear of teaching is really tough to grasp until you've lived it. Not looking for sympathy, it's just the truth.
24/7? Teachers are off four months out of the year.
Many teachers find seaonsal employment over the summer to supplement their incomes, or take courses to advance their hours to improve their incomes.
Having the freedom to choose a side job or education is substantially different than an actuarial job that dictates your life and vacation time.I have nothing but respect for teachers who understand the importance of their job, but to say that profession is more exhausting than a full time job + 700-800 hours of studying a year is beyond silly.
Is there an expectation that you take a certain number of exams each year? Would 1 per year be considered lazy? My thought was that I'd pass the first 2 then start looking for work. By the way, no teacher is going to tell you that they are physically exhausted in July or August. Think of it like an accounted with a busy season. My busy season is September to January. Less busy February through June as routines get established. The good life in July and August. Though I still log hours those months working on curriculum or taking courses, it is stress free work.

I will say that I am a little concerned that this is just a grass is always greener kind of situation. But I appreciate the help from everyone as I consider some options.
Some companies do not allow you to miss an exam sitting unless it is a very important reason. A lot of companies also limit the number of attempts you can have under their program. If you can't pass a certain exam, the program language can say they can terminate your position. More often than not they will transition you to a similar position, but the possibility is there. Seminars, exam materials and exam fees aren't cheap and are usually paid on the company's dime so they don't really want to employ someone under their study program who is half-assed about taking the exams.

I believe you would have a difficult time finding a job with only two exams. As mentioned, kids are coming out of college with many more exams now.

I would definitely not recommend an actuarial science degree. You can get hired in the actuarial field with any quantitative degree but can't necessarily get hired in another field with an actuarial science degree.

I would recommend something like finance but even more so computer science. An applicant with very strong computer programming skills is $$$$$$
I don't understand why more people don't choose CS for their major. Or at least try it out. It helps you in so many high paying careers, pretty much anything other than law or medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread