What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals sign Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

travdogg said:
bucsbaby said:
His attitude and off-the-field behaviour make him a perfect fit for Cinn imo. Perry has looked slow and mediocre imo. This could devolve into a RBBC situation down the road. Fun times.
As a Perry owner I actually like Perry more because of this move. I'd have been worried if they had signed Alexander but Benson is a bum and they will get nothing out of him. The Bears line last year is twice as good as what Cinci has now.Also, why has nobody gone after Kenton Keith? You'd think he'd be cheaper, he's a good special teams guy and doesn't have as much baggage.
Keith's baggage is one of the primary reasons that led to him getting cut by the Colts.

travdogg said:
bucsbaby said:
His attitude and off-the-field behaviour make him a perfect fit for Cinn imo. Perry has looked slow and mediocre imo. This could devolve into a RBBC situation down the road. Fun times.
As a Perry owner I actually like Perry more because of this move. I'd have been worried if they had signed Alexander but Benson is a bum and they will get nothing out of him. The Bears line last year is twice as good as what Cinci has now.Also, why has nobody gone after Kenton Keith? You'd think he'd be cheaper, he's a good special teams guy and doesn't have as much baggage.
Keith's baggage is one of the primary reasons that led to him getting cut by the Colts.
Agreed, but I can't imagine that would matter to the Bengals right?

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him. Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history. He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me. 2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.He has talent that is scary.If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey. He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago. If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
It's puff puff pass, not puff puff puff til it's gone.
:coffee: ;) What is this fascination with Benson, I don't get it, he showed nothing with the Bears, his work ethic is questionable, he doesn't get along with his team mates, he is unstable emotionally, and he has a drinking problem. and now he is on the Bengals who will certainly not try to stop him from being stupid. How is this bum worthy of devoting countless threads without ever doing anything on the professional level? And I'm guilty of this because i post ed here, i feel dirty

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him.

Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history.

He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:

1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me.

2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.

Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.

He has talent that is scary.

If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey.

He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago.

If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
:bag: :lmao: What is this fascination with Benson, I don't get it, he showed nothing with the Bears, his work ethic is questionable, he doesn't get along with his team mates, he is unstable emotionally, and he has a drinking problem. and now he is on the Bengals who will certainly not try to stop him from being stupid. How is this bum worthy of devoting countless threads without ever doing anything on the professional level? And I'm guilty of this because i post ed here, i feel dirty
A true Bengal at heart

This is the PERFECT move for the Bengals.

1. Benson is a perfect Bengal:

- cheap to sign

- rap sheet

- physically gifted

- mentally not gifted

2. With the demise of Matt Millen, Mike Brown saw his shot to win back the title. then the Raiders go and make a big splash, and become front-runner. this gets the Bengals right back with them in contention - defintely the top 2. Of course the title is "worst-Run NFL Franchise" but you need to win when you can.

Just heard from a buddy in Cincy that all the talk is Benson starting THIS WEEK! I would be shocked being as there is no way he knows the plays or is in any kind of NFL football shape. Any chance the Bengals are really this dumb/desperate?

Just heard from a buddy in Cincy that all the talk is Benson starting THIS WEEK! I would be shocked being as there is no way he knows the plays or is in any kind of NFL football shape. Any chance the Bengals are really this dumb/desperate?
Anybody else confirm this?

I am a cincy cop. I picked up Henry and Benson tonight beating up a 16 year old kid. I let them off and promised not to tell except on the FBG boards.

ok ok im kidding. jokes aside lets get down to real facts!

I got Benson for 4 bucks tonight! A steal I think!

Watson has serious hammy issues too just like DE DE.

Some of Perrys fumbles were the stupidest I've ever seen!

At 0-4 what do they have to lose?

Remember they are ONE OF smallest market out there like GB and Buffulo.

They already have to pay Chad WAY MORE THEN HE'S WORTH!

They don;t have a lot of money to throw around so seriously this all makes since!

Benson just might make the most of his new life. I m willing to put some of my hard earned BID BUCKS ON IT! Perry never has impressed me. It's a good deal for all involved. It should motivate Perry knowing Benson is there to straighten up.

The small market explains Rudi, S.A AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS. tHEY JUST DON;T HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO HAND OUT LIKE MOST TEAMS.

Hey man, I'll let you guys sleep on him. Regardless of everything else, he is an NFL top 5 pick and he is the greatest to ever play in Texas HS football history. He was hated in the locker room in CHI from day one for a few reasons:1) He is not the most likeable guy. At Texas he ostracized himself from his teammates and had an air to him as if he felt like he was on a higher level than everyone else. It was not the same kind of self-ostracism that Ricky took part in. That was social anxiety disorder. Ced claimed that he suffered from the same problem since Ricky is his idol, but that was not it. He had a big head and didn't want to be on a "team" with people he thought were beneath him. Trust me. 2) the defense's love for thomas jones which led to them hitting him hard as hell in practice.Seeing him now and then here in Austin, I can tell you that the same attitude does not seem to really be there anymore. The guy looks like he has been through some things and exudes what it is to be humble. He has been killed in the media and in the public eye and he has made some mistakes that might make him not take that god-given ability for granted anymore.He has talent that is scary.If he has his head in the right place, he can even play behind that line in Cincy. Surely better than Perry or Dorsey. He has an on/off switch. It was "off" the WHOLE TIME in Chicago. If he flips the switch you have a stud. I can tell you from seeing him, he looks and acts different. I can't really explain it, but I picked him up in all leagues and I'm gonna give it 2 weeks.
4/10But seriously. ADG's analysis fits. Imagine if we were talking about Chris Carter after PHI or Vacre after Green Bay. Sometimes getting REALLY humbled is the best medicine?certainly better than taking a flyer on davenport, pittman, me moore :tumbleweed:

Mike Brown at his finest looking for a deal. First its Chris Henry now Benson?No value here IMO, Benson is as slow as Rudi and can't break runs outside or tackles. Mike Brown perspective is Benson is Rudi with a cheaper price tag. With the state of the Bengals line I see Cedric making little to no impact. Possible short yardage back due to Perry's size and he's probably out of shape.
I think this is all just a ploy to get Amy Winehouse in to sing the National Anthem.Other than that, it doesn't really matter. Barry Sanders would have problems behind that line. Possible silver lining: Maybe Cedric gets it a yard or two closer to the line of scrimmage before he fumbles, so at least the defense will have better field position.In other words, I agree completely.
Oh come on now! Barry doesn't need in line. He proved it for 10 years in Detroit.

Cedric's mom found her way to FBGs!

People can keep talking bad about him... but I am grabbing him off of the waiver wire.
Agreed. I just dropped dead weight and scooped him up. I'm expecting him to do nothing, and that I'll end up dropping him soon enough. However, he's a big enough lottery ticket to take a chance on. Dude might actually turn things around and have value for me to trade him. I would never put enough faith in starting him. He will sit on my bench and either get traded or get dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has talent that is scary.
There's your biggest problem right there. He's an average RB who played on a great college football team. That's about it.
That may be true but his competition isn't that scary.
I'm not saying he can't take that job. I'm just saying he's never been -- and never will be -- the stud that some predicted. He's an average NFL talent.
Agreed.

I'd like to hear more...if there is ounce of truth to this I'll consider dropping Sproles.
:shrug: I'd also like to see what other bench fodder is getting dropped for this Benson v2 experiment. I'm sitting on MoMo and Sammy Morris as RB5/6 and already put in a WW request (no drop needed after a trade) in a dynasty league.

Are the Bungels so desperate to replace the likes of DD Dorsey with Cedric Benson?? Dorsey is a superb special teamer and change of pace RB. The 2 things Benson knows nothing of are special teams play and pass protection. Was this just defense against the Steelers from adding Benson? Or do they think he fits the Bungel's scheme??

I'd like to hear more...if there is ounce of truth to this I'll consider dropping Sproles.
I call bs.
The only other guy I would be willing to drop is Chester Taylor. I do not have LT or ADP...my current guys are Grant and Turner.

Are the Bungels so desperate to replace the likes of DD Dorsey with Cedric Benson?? Dorsey is a superb special teamer and change of pace RB. The 2 things Benson knows nothing of are special teams play and pass protection. Was this just defense against the Steelers from adding Benson? Or do they think he fits the Bungel's scheme??
I doubt the Steelers were interested in Benson.

I am a cincy cop. I picked up Henry and Benson tonight beating up a 16 year old kid. I let them off and promised not to tell except on the FBG boards.

ok ok im kidding. jokes aside lets get down to real facts!

I got Benson for 4 bucks tonight! A steal I think!

Watson has serious hammy issues too just like DE DE.

Some of Perrys fumbles were the stupidest I've ever seen!

At 0-4 what do they have to lose?

Remember they are ONE OF smallest market out there like GB and Buffulo.

They already have to pay Chad WAY MORE THEN HE'S WORTH!

They don;t have a lot of money to throw around so seriously this all makes since!

Benson just might make the most of his new life. I m willing to put some of my hard earned BID BUCKS ON IT! Perry never has impressed me. It's a good deal for all involved. It should motivate Perry knowing Benson is there to straighten up.

The small market explains Rudi, S.A AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS. tHEY JUST DON;T HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO HAND OUT LIKE MOST TEAMS.
That's really the only rationale I can see for this move. Although you'd think Alexander would have been a bigger motivation, but either way I'd be shocked if Benson sees more than 50 touches this season and I'd be shocked if he was even active if/when Watson is healthy unless he learns to return kicks.

Are the Bungels so desperate to replace the likes of DD Dorsey with Cedric Benson??
Benson was a top 5 draft selection just a few years back, and they presumably got him for peanuts. I see no reason not to do this.

Is Benson worthy of being p/u when your RB's are Gore, S Jax, CJ3, and Norwood? I would be dropping

Meachem but Have Fitz, Steve Smith, Welker, Reggie Brown, and Chris Henry. I might pick him up. I think he will be starting sooner than later and you can never have to many starting RB's on your team in case of injuries or for trade bait if he comes in and does well. I am just trying to figur out if it is worth it to drop Meachem for him.

Benson does have value, mainly to Perry owners for if Chris were to go down for any period of time. I think cutting Rudi and giving Chris the carries he has had so far shows us all who the guy to have in Cincy is. Now just throw him the ball and he could be a BEAST in PPR.

Just my 2 cents.

:lmao:

Dorsey got put on IR.

Watson is out for at least one more week with a bad hammy.

They have no one else to play RB (except D. Coats - FB)

They HAD to get someone in case something happened to Perry.

CBS is reporting Perry has a lame Hammy, so perhaps Benson isn't a bad pickup after all.

I can't find anything anywhere about Cincy starting Benson this week. If there is any truth to it, Dallas' defense will have their best output of the year. Wait, they may do that anyway. :rolleyes:

NFL Network said several times today that Benson got a lot of reps in practice and is going to be used as rb2 this weekend.

NFL Network said several times today that Benson got a lot of reps in practice and is going to be used as rb2 this weekend.
The same thing was reported in the Cincinnati EnquirerOctober 1, 2008RB Benson off and runningBy Mark Curnuttemcurnutte@enquirer.com Bengals coaches expect tailback Cedric Benson to play Sunday at Dallas.Signed Tuesday to a one-year contract, Benson, a 2005 first-round pick of the Chicago Bears, performed well in practice Wednesday.“I think you will see him go in and spell Chris at some point,” offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said in reference to starter Chris Perry.Backup Kenny Watson (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday, and the Bengals placed third-string tailback DeDe Dorsey (hamstring) on the season-ending injured reserve list Tuesday to make room for Benson.The Bengals are ranked 30th in the NFL in rushing at 82.3 yards a game. Perry is averaging 2.9 yards a carry. Most of the problem, though, has been the performance of the offensive line.“He looked good in practice today,” Bratkowski said of Benson. “He had some nice quickness and good feet. It's good to have him here.”Benson was assigned No. 32, his old number in Chicago and the jersey most recently worn with the Bengals by Rudi Johnson.“Most importantly, it’s good to be back in some pads, back on a team, around a great group of guys, very accepting to me, and I’m just thankful for the opportunity,” Benson said.He was arrested in May on charges of drunken boating and resisting arrest, and in June was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, the Chicago Sun Times reported.“Just, it’s a humbling experience,” he said when asked to describe his legal issues. “It keeps you grounded. It will bring your feet back to the ground if your feet weren’t grounded. Just kind of bring you home, (an) opportunity to look in the mirror, re-evaluate yourself and change yourself for the better.“I just had to make a better decision, a few better decisions.”The Bears released him June 9, two days after his second arrest.“I really don’t know,” he said when asked to describe his career in Chicago. “First two seasons were a little rocky. Third season didn’t go quite as well as we wanted it to as a team. Then I had the couple of situations off the field, and they made a decision.”Benson was cleared of all charges Sept. 25.“It probably helped a lot,” he said of the exoneration. “I don’t know if it was the deciding factor. I think when push really came to shove some team would make a move. I’m sure it eased a lot of teams’ minds.”Benson was one of several running backs working out Tuesday – players’ off day – for Bengals coaches and scouts.“Basically, just the fact they were willing to give me an opportunity said a lot about them as an organization, just the opportunity was most what I liked,” Benson said. I’ll have a few more things I’ll like by the end of the week.”Benson played in 35 games with 12 starts for the Bears from 2005-07, rushing for 1,593 yards on 420 carries (3.8) with 10 touchdowns. He also had 26 receptions for 180 yards.“I definitely bring, you know, just come out and run the rock, basically, get first downs, help the offense score touchdowns,” he said. “Once (he) gets the scheme and all the plays down things will be real smooth.”Head coach Marvin Lewis liked what he saw."I thought he did a good job. He had a little crash course for 24 hours,” Lewis said. “He seemed to carry his pads well and had a little burst and acceleration, which is what (Benson) did a couple times (Tuesday) on the field.”Asked if Benson would play Sunday, Lewis said, “I believe so.”Bratkowski is crafting a plan, limited in nature, of how to use Benson.“Well, we've got to get him set,” Bratkowski said. “You can't get him ready to do everything. But you can give him set things and say, `OK, if something happens to Chris, here's what we're going to do with you. You're going to do A, B and C.’ And you go from there. You don't want to overload him too much. And so you have to have a Plan B for the other stuff you want to do.”

He screwed up his knee pretty bad last year, he has a serious attitude problem, he isn't fast, he isn't powerful, he doesn't run with any vision, he isn't shifty, he doesn't break tackles...quite honestly, if his name wasn't Cedric Benson, he'd have a hard time finding work in the CFL.

The Bengals GM/ownership should be ashamed to show their faces in public, and I'm 100% certain the collective FBG could do a better job running the team. Sickening...and no, barring injury to Perry, he has no value, and even as a starter has very little.

I got him off the waiver wire for $2. But then again I have C.Perry on my bench behind F.Gore & R.Bush and I dropped Mendenhall for him.

I figure even Benson has to out perform a guy in IR the rest of the year.....right?? :kicksrock:

He screwed up his knee pretty bad last year, he has a serious attitude problem, he isn't fast, he isn't powerful, he doesn't run with any vision, he isn't shifty, he doesn't break tackles...quite honestly, if his name wasn't Cedric Benson, he'd have a hard time finding work in the CFL.The Bengals GM/ownership should be ashamed to show their faces in public, and I'm 100% certain the collective FBG could do a better job running the team. Sickening...and no, barring injury to Perry, he has no value, and even as a starter has very little.
I would say this assessment is just a tad on the harsh side.

He screwed up his knee pretty bad last year, he has a serious attitude problem, he isn't fast, he isn't powerful, he doesn't run with any vision, he isn't shifty, he doesn't break tackles...quite honestly, if his name wasn't Cedric Benson, he'd have a hard time finding work in the CFL.The Bengals GM/ownership should be ashamed to show their faces in public, and I'm 100% certain the collective FBG could do a better job running the team. Sickening...and no, barring injury to Perry, he has no value, and even as a starter has very little.
Yeah, slurring the fictitious GM is a bit over the top.

I dropped Ray Rice for him.

I think it to be more likely that Benson ends up starting some time this season than Ray Rice.

Judge Smails said:
The criticism of the owner/fake GM, yeah, but Benson? Nah, he stinks...

Wow, they're gonna have him playing already. Much as I'm not a big Benson fan, this situation is pretty interesting.

:popcorn:

His attitude and off-the-field behaviour make him a perfect fit for Cinn imo.

Perry has looked slow and mediocre imo. This could devolve into a RBBC situation down the road. Fun times.
He signed a deal with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL.

The Bears wasted a top pick and two years on him, shouldn't they be more ashamed to show their faces?

Users who are viewing this thread