What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals sign Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

I think it's time that someone shows CIN's RB coach a good hamstring stretch:

Rudi

Dorsey

Watson

& now Perry

Countdown to Benson pulling his hammy . . .

He screwed up his knee pretty bad last year, he has a serious attitude problem, he isn't fast, he isn't powerful, he doesn't run with any vision, he isn't shifty, he doesn't break tackles...quite honestly, if his name wasn't Cedric Benson, he'd have a hard time finding work in the CFL.The Bengals GM/ownership should be ashamed to show their faces in public, and I'm 100% certain the collective FBG could do a better job running the team. Sickening...and no, barring injury to Perry, he has no value, and even as a starter has very little.
The Bears wasted a top pick and two years on him, shouldn't they be more ashamed to show their faces?
There were times he looked and performed every bit as good as Thomas Jones did running the football. Maybe not so much with pass blocking/catching. Granted he did not do a good job making the most of the CHI opp. Things/people can change. For one, he won't have fans/media/players goin' against him like he did in Chicago. He sounds like he's been humbled. Now, the question is are his skills as bad as many of you are saying. He's young, doesn't have a lot of miles on him and came cheap. And he surely can't be a cancer in that locker room. Nothing to lose.

From the Bengals website:

Cedric Benson wasted no time easing into Bengaldom Wednesday.

Wearing Rudi Johnson's No. 32, lockering next to Ocho Cinco, and taking the bulk of Chris Perry's snaps at running back, he is delighted the coaches are talking about playing him Sunday in Dallas even though running backs coach Jim Anderson only gave him his playbook Tuesday night.

And then the debate started almost immediately.

Does the 5-11, 220-pound Benson have more in common with Rudi than his number? A downhill runner when he's rolling?

Depends on who you ask.

"It's kind of weird seeing another No. 32 jersey out there," said right guard Bobbie Williams. "He brings a different dimension that Chris doesn't bring. Kind of the same thing Rudi brought. Just like Rudi and Chris were two different backs. I like it. I like what I saw with it. I think it's going to be good for us."

Anderson, who has coached every Bengals running back since 1984, doesn't buy that.

"He's a bigger man than Rudi," Anderson said. "We've had a lot of downhill guys here. I think you have to wait and see what you've got."

Here is Benson's own scouting report:

"Physical. Burst. Good speed to the second level. Finish the run."

What is known is that the NFL has yet to see the aggressive, speedy back who while at Texas become one of five men to rush for 1,000 yards in all four seasons. In his three seasons in Chicago, he never gained more than 647 yards in a season and his average yards per carry was 3.8.

"Just not being with the right team; not being in the right situation," Benson said as a way of explanation. "Hopefully we can start that all up here now."

The Bengals went to the street when Perry's two backups got shelved with hamstring problems and then Perry came up with the same thing and was limited Wednesday. Benson, the fourth pick in the 2005 draft out of Texas, had been on the street since June, when the Bears cut him after his second alcohol-related arrest in a month.

When a grand jury decided not to indict him for either arrest a week ago, Benson figured his time was near.

"I'm sure it helped a lot," said Benson, who didn't hook on with Detroit or New Orleans before the decision. "I thought when push came to shove some team would make a move, but I think it eased a lot of GMs' minds."

On a week the oft-arrested Henry returned over the objection of the head coach, the Bengals got ripped again for bringing in Benson. Although all the coaches seemed on board with Benson after he looked quick and in extremely good shape in Tuesday's workout.

Bratkowski:

"We looked at him on film, we looked at him in the workout," said offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski. "He's got playing time. He's got running ability. He was a No. 1 draft pick, so there's obviously talent there. He looked good in practice. He had nice quickness and good feet. It's good to have him here. He looked in good condition (Tuesday), and he had good quickness. You can't get him ready to do everything. A set thing is OK if Chris gets hurt. You're going to do A, B and C and you go from there. You want a Plan B for the other stuff we do."

So it sounds like Perry is going to go, but just how much Benson can do so quickly remains to be seen. He says he just has to get used to playing with pads and getting knocked around.

"We've done it before," said Anderson of emergency preparedness. "Remember Garrison Hearst? You don't give him too much. You don't give him everything. You give him a little bit of different situations."

But Hearst, another top five running back the Bengals picked up a dozen years ago, had an eternity to get ready compared to Benson. Like Benson, the Bengals got Hearst heading into his fourth year. But they picked him off waivers 10 days before the 1996 season started, when he led the 8-8 Bengals with 847 yards, nearly triple what overall No. 1 pick Ki-Jana Carter produced.

"I don't know," said Benson when asked why his numbers weren't better for the Bears. "The first two seasons were rocky, the third season we didn't do well as a team and then I had (problems) off the field and they made a decision, but I stayed positive."

Benson clearly feels rejuvenated in Cincinnati after being so widely panned in Chicago. But he believes he's going to be different here, too, after the incidents.

"It's humbling, you know," Benson said. "Those experiences bring you back to the ground if your feet aren't grounded. It's given me an opportunity to look in the mirror, reevaluate yourself. Initially, perception (is reality) but in due time it will slowly get back there."

"Not really," Benson said when asked if he had to change his life. "I just had to make better decisions."

His teammates seemed ready to forget the past transgressions. Safety Chinedum Ndukwe said he knows a team can get fined if it has problem upon problem with players who had problems before they arrived to the team that signed them.

"I really don't care. I know we're struggling at running back," Ndukwe said. "Really, the only thing I want to know is if he can carry the rock. I want to win. I know the organization knows it can get into trouble. I'm sure they checked and that they made a decision they feel is in the best interest for the organization. And I support it."

So did Bobbie Williams.

"Who am I to judge?' he asked. "As long as he can be a contributing factor in the running game without being a distraction, I'm all for it."

The question mark in Chicago (other than character) was vision. He just didn't see the holes when they were opening. That sasid, I grabbed him off the waiver wire. Doesn't sound like he'll have any competition in Cincy and all he cost me was a waiver pick.

The question mark in Chicago (other than character) was vision. He just didn't see the holes when they were opening. That sasid, I grabbed him off the waiver wire. Doesn't sound like he'll have any competition in Cincy and all he cost me was a waiver pick.
:kicksrock: do you mean no competition as perry's backup?

Perry owner.

I just offed Ray Rice for him. Hey, if nothing else he's insurance for me. While I likely won't be seeing him in my lineup, stranger things happen than to just brush him aside. He cost my virtually nothing and with Perry being dinged you never know. Without Carson tho, no RB is a good play in Cinncy, healthy or not. At least he poses a threat that can open up a running game.

Will hold and see for now.

He screwed up his knee pretty bad last year, he has a serious attitude problem, he isn't fast, he isn't powerful, he doesn't run with any vision, he isn't shifty, he doesn't break tackles...quite honestly, if his name wasn't Cedric Benson, he'd have a hard time finding work in the CFL.The Bengals GM/ownership should be ashamed to show their faces in public, and I'm 100% certain the collective FBG could do a better job running the team. Sickening...and no, barring injury to Perry, he has no value, and even as a starter has very little.
The Bears wasted a top pick and two years on him, shouldn't they be more ashamed to show their faces?
There were times he looked and performed every bit as good as Thomas Jones did running the football. Maybe not so much with pass blocking/catching. Granted he did not do a good job making the most of the CHI opp. Things/people can change. For one, he won't have fans/media/players goin' against him like he did in Chicago. He sounds like he's been humbled. Now, the question is are his skills as bad as many of you are saying. He's young, doesn't have a lot of miles on him and came cheap. And he surely can't be a cancer in that locker room. Nothing to lose.
that was my point. i wouldn't take a shot at Cincy for pulling a guy off the street for cheap to fill a spot where if he does anything positive it will be looked at as a nice move. if he doesn't, oh well, he was cheap and they needed a warm body. it was Chicago that lost out on this guy. expectations are so low it can only go up.

I picked up Benson fearing that Perry was hurt, but he says he wasn't hurt at all.

Perry went through a complete practice Thursday and was surprised to hear the injury report had listed him with a hamstring problem.

"I think it was just giving me time to recover," he said. "I haven't missed a practice since the beginning of training camp. They've got to report something, (so) pick a body part: eenie-meenie-minie-mo. I feel great."

The Bengals want Benson to be able to run some plays against the Cowboys, which would spare Perry from having to play every down. If Perry gets hurt, they would be down to one running back who has been with the team for less than a week.
LinkI'll still hang onto Benson, but Perry owners can rest a little easier. Now let's hope the Bengals get their #### together.

I picked up Benson fearing that Perry was hurt, but he says he wasn't hurt at all.

Perry went through a complete practice Thursday and was surprised to hear the injury report had listed him with a hamstring problem.

"I think it was just giving me time to recover," he said. "I haven't missed a practice since the beginning of training camp. They've got to report something, (so) pick a body part: eenie-meenie-minie-mo. I feel great."

The Bengals want Benson to be able to run some plays against the Cowboys, which would spare Perry from having to play every down. If Perry gets hurt, they would be down to one running back who has been with the team for less than a week.
LinkI'll still hang onto Benson, but Perry owners can rest a little easier. Now let's hope the Bengals get their #### together.
This just makes the situation even more interesting...

I don't know that Benson holds any value as a Bengal, but I do know that they plan to give him some carries Sunday at Dallas.

How many is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't think more than 5-8.

Agreed. Why is the club "pretending" Perry is hurt if he's just fine? :unsure: Curious. Maybe an excuse for giving someone else a shot at improving on his 2.8 YPC?

Agreed. Why is the club "pretending" Perry is hurt if he's just fine? :towelwave: Curious. Maybe an excuse for giving someone else a shot at improving on his 2.8 YPC?
Maybe the Bengals' staff is clairvoyant and know that Perry is just due to get injured.

Agreed. Why is the club "pretending" Perry is hurt if he's just fine? :goodposting: Curious. Maybe an excuse for giving someone else a shot at improving on his 2.8 YPC?
Maybe the Bengals' staff is clairvoyant and know that Perry is just due to get injured.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't require any clairvoyance.

Given Perry's lack of production, and penchant for getting injured, is Benson a decent scrub back going forward in that offense? I mean, you almost have to assume Perry will get injured soon. I don't like Benson much, and certainly wouldn't expect much out of him, but doesn't his signing almost certainly mean he'll be starting there in short order? Again, I don't think he'll do a lot, but for people desperate for a warm body, I think he's decent.

Given Perry's lack of production, and penchant for getting injured, is Benson a decent scrub back going forward in that offense? I mean, you almost have to assume Perry will get injured soon. I don't like Benson much, and certainly wouldn't expect much out of him, but doesn't his signing almost certainly mean he'll be starting there in short order? Again, I don't think he'll do a lot, but for people desperate for a warm body, I think he's decent.
No, I don't think you can assume that Benson will be starting or even getting significant playing time at this point. That said, him taking the job given Perry's underwhelming performance this year and knack for being hurt both tell us that there is a chance he could take the job. Reason enough to grab him.

No, I don't think you can assume that Benson will be starting or even getting significant playing time at this point. That said, him taking the job given Perry's underwhelming performance this year and knack for being hurt both tell us that there is a chance he could take the job. Reason enough to grab him.
I think the real question is, does Benson overtake Watson as the primary back-up?

Why not pick him up?

It's not like anyone is wasting a draft pick to get him. I see no downside picking Benson up off the WW and holding on to him for 2-3 weeks.

agreed.No one has stepped up for the bungles this year. really seems like the perfet situation for a "new beginning" kind of back. If you can get a possible starting rb off the WW, who has multiple injury prone/injured players in front of him week 5 on the WW, seems like a no brainer? I dropped johniee lee higgins (my league gives KR yards at .3) for cedric. Players with egos as big as Benson, who are now thought of as "artose pinnerish", would probably be motivated to show that they are better than that. This situation has all the makings of a rebirth opportunity. Anyone have any more specific 411 from player, agent team etc on this?

I think the real question is, does Benson overtake Watson as the primary back-up?
Really? Hamstrings are tough for rbs to play through, and they linger. I'm more worried about whther Perry really is injured, than a career backup with a hamstring issue. I mean other than a handfull of games last ear, watson really hasn't done much. If he was I'm not sure they'd roll the dice on benson.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/63986-b...on-with-bengals

Cincinnati Bengals Owner Mike Brown has a history of giving second chances to players with legal issues. Knowing that, fans should not be surprised by the Bengals signing of former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson on Tuesday. Benson was spurned by the Bears and scorned by the media after two alcohol-related arrests over a five-week period earlier this year. Headlines from Benson's arrests were enough to destroy his reputation and all but end his once promising career, regardless of what actually took place. Through it all, Benson maintained his innocence in both incidents.

"I'm sticking to my story," Benson said in May. "The truth will come out some time, whether it'll be now or a year from now or whenever."

The truth came out last week, when two Travis County grand juries decided not to indict Benson for the two arrests alcohol-related arrests.

According to Travis County Attorney David Escamilla, there were problems in both cases. In a boating-while-intoxicated arrest on May 3, officials did not conduct a field sobriety test and there was no video evidence. Police initially reported Benson failed an abbreviated sobriety test and was placed under arrest by the Lower Colorado River Authority. They claimed he then became combative with the officers and was pepper-sprayed. Benson told a different story.

"I politely asked him why we needed to go to land to take more tests when I took every test," Benson said. "Then he sprayed me with mace, on his boat. I'm not handcuffed. I'm not under arrest. I'm not threatening him. I'm not pushing him. I'm not touching him. And he sprays me right in the eye."

Along with insisting he was not drunk and accusing the authorities of pepper-spraying him without provocation, Benson said the police kicked his feet out from under him, dragged him from the patrol boat and nearly drowned him with a water hose before dumping him into a squad car. The 12-15 passengers (including his mother) aboard Benson's 30-foot boat verified his account. Benson also told reporters every time he has taken his boat out, he has gotten pulled over for a "random safety inspection."

While at University of Texas, Benson earned a reputation as a pot-smoking partier. As an All-American football player who finished his collegiate career as the 6th leading rusher in Division I-A history, Benson was nearly untouchable to both defenders and law enforcement.

Then the kid became the fourth overall selection in the NFL draft and signed a multi-million dollar contract. In the off-seasons he returned home to Austin to lavishly enjoy his hard-earned money. Is it far-fetched to believe Austin authorities resented him for it?

On June 7, Benson was pulled over by the Austin Police Department for allegedly running a red light (Benson claims it was yellow) and performed a field sobriety test. Benson then offered to give a blood sample for testing (Texas law allows either a blood or breath test for alcohol content), but was told he would have to take a breath test. He was subsequently arrested for driving while intoxicated. There was video evidence of the encounter in which Benson actually "appears very well," Escamilla said.

Despite the glaring discrepancies of the two accounts, the attorney didn't believe Benson was being mistreated by police.

"We call them as we see them," Escamilla explained.

Well I call them as I see them too. And it's called racial profiling.

The City of Austin Police Department has been discriminating and incriminating African-Americans for years. According to studies of City of Austin documents, when APD officers have a choice to either issue a citation or make an arrest, Blacks in Austin are more than 3 times as likely to be arrested and incarcerated than others. Additionally, a person with black skin is 31 times more likely to be incarcerated than a person with white skin for the same drug crime. (keepaustinsafe.org)

Please read the last paragraph again, or as many times as it takes to sink in.

Now imagine: Benson passed a field sobriety test, offered to give a blood sample, appeared "very well" and was STILL arrested for driving while intoxicated!

Racial profiling is part of a larger societal issue that permeates much more than a police department. It seems as though everyone, even (if not especially) the Chicago Bears were out to portray Benson as Jerry Angelo's "disappointment"; a drunken, dopey-eyed, dunderhead too dumb to stay out of trouble.

The Bears ranked 30th in the NFL in rushing yards per game and 32nd in yards per carry in 2007, Benson's first full season as a starter. Rather than the Bears receiving blame for making a poor draft selection, they were able to deflect it onto with Benson by convincing fans he was too much of a problem to keep his job.

Well he may have liked to party, he may have made poor decisions, he may have been an underachiever, but ultimately he was innocent of the crimes that terminated his non-guaranteed contract.

Of any of the players Mike Brown has given a second chance to, Benson is by far the most-deserving. Hopefully he can go on to have the long, productive career once expected of him.

I can see him celebrating his first Bengals touchdown already...pointing up to the sky, then to his nose, and walking straight down the goal line. He can take a breath now, he has passed his biggest test.

Looks like at least a few teams felt Cedric still had it in the tank. Now it was the Lions and Dolphins, texans and saints but :thumbup: most had/signed quality backups (Rudi and RW, thomas), but I like that other NFL talent evaluators still thought he had something.from kffl news on benson

Bengals | Benson expected to play in Week 5Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:50:22 -0700Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski say they expect RB Cedric Benson to play in the team's Week 5 game. He will be the team's No. 2 running back.Bengals | Benson signedTue, 30 Sep 2008 13:06:54 -0700The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have signed free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.NFL | Charges against Benson droppedThu, 25 Sep 2008 15:54:00 -0700Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports separate Travis County (Texas) grand juries returned "no bills" for free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) Thursday, Sept. 25. All charges against him have been dropped. "Cedric is grateful to all who have supported him,'' his attorney Sam Bassett said in a statement. "It was particularly difficult for him to lose the job that he loved with the Bears. He is eager to have an opportunity to again demonstrate that he is a quality running back who can contribute to a winning team. More importantly, he intends to demonstrate that he is worthy of being a positive role model in his community. He has learned much from this ordeal."Lions | Team not about to sign BensonWed, 17 Sep 2008 21:44:06 -0700Updating a previous item, Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Detroit Lions are not about to sign free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears). Benson visited the team Tuesday, Sept. 16, but the Lions were just looking in case they need a running back in the future.Lions | Benson close to signing with teamWed, 17 Sep 2008 08:57:29 -0700The Detroit Free Press reports the Detroit Lions met with free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) Tuesday, Sept. 16, and are close to signing him.Texans | Team to work out backs TuesdayMon, 8 Sep 2008 16:01:32 -0700Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will work out a number of free-agent running backs Tuesday, Sept. 9. The list of running backs working out does not include free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) or free-agent RB Shaun Alexander (Seahawks).Saints | Benson worked outSun, 7 Sep 2008 19:34:18 -0700Vaughn McClure, of the Chicago Tribune, reports free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) said he worked out for the New Orleans Saints about two weeks ago and it went well.Texans | Benson to work outSun, 7 Sep 2008 19:26:13 -0700Vaughn McClure, of the Chicago Tribune, reports free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) said he has a tryout with the Houston Texans this week.Dolphins | R. Williams optimistic about BensonFri, 27 Jun 2008 09:23:23 -0700The Associated Press reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams said he is confident that free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) will be picked up by another team. Williams believes Benson will turn his troubled career around if he is given another chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Watson released :yawn: And this after Dorsey being IRed. Are there any RBs besides Perry and Benson on the roster?

Wow, Watson released :IBTL: And this after Dorsey being IRed. Are there any RBs besides Perry and Benson on the roster?
Wow.
Henry back; Watson cutBy GEOFF HOBSONOctober 4, 2008 Updated: 12:35 p.m.Wide receiver Chris Henry is going to play Sunday in Dallas.The Bengals added him to the active roster Saturday and cut running back Kenny Watson to make room when Henry used up his one-week roster exemption coming off a four-game NFL suspension.Watson is nursing an injured hamstring and wasn't expected to play Sunday. With head coach Marvin Lewis saying Friday that he thought Watson could get ready for next week's game against the Jets that may mean Watson is back soon. The Bengals have only two healthy tailbacks, Chris Perry and the newest Bengal arrived Tuesday, Cedric Benson.Watson has been one of the club's most solid players in Lewis' six years as a backup to Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry and last year had two 130-yard games.Henry, coming off his third NFL suspension, missed all of spring camps and training camp before NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him for the first four games of the season following an incident in which Henry was charged with assault in a case that got dismissed.Since the Bengals drafted Henry in the third round in 2005, they are 4-8 when he doesn't play. They are seeking some vertical passing game from Henry, a guy that has caught eight balls of at least 40 yards and 17 touchdowns among his 88 career catches.The Bengals now have seven receivers. They weren't going to cut their two starters, two draft picks, and, it turns, out their two kick returners in Antonio Chatman and Glenn Holt.
This is getting more and more :IBTL:One would assume they liked what they saw from Benson this week.

Damn, this news broke just after my WW claims were up. I think I would have preferred Benson over McClain, oh well.

If Benson does well in limited time this week, think he has a legitimate shot to move into the role full time? I would think he has a shot - though Perry was a big name back coming out, too. With Watson being cut, this is becoming pretty interesting.

Agreed. Why is the club "pretending" Perry is hurt if he's just fine? :kicksrock: Curious. Maybe an excuse for giving someone else a shot at improving on his 2.8 YPC?
Isn't that about what Benson averaged for his career on a decent rushing team?

Agreed. Why is the club "pretending" Perry is hurt if he's just fine? :kicksrock: Curious. Maybe an excuse for giving someone else a shot at improving on his 2.8 YPC?
Isn't that about what Benson averaged for his career on a decent rushing team?
No, his average is 3.8.

Benson will certainly have the opportunity, Watson is gone and Perry is fragile if Perry gets hurt now Benson is the only guy left regardless.

Pick him off the WW if you have the room in case he does something positive against Dallas and save yourself a WW bidding war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NFL network reporting that Benson will be in on the third series and in a perfect world, they want to give him 20 carries. Doubt that Cincy will run the ball that much against Dallas, especially in the second half.

Still thats what the team is telling Schecter

NFL network reporting that Benson will be in on the third series and in a perfect world, they want to give him 20 carries. Doubt that Cincy will run the ball that much against Dallas, especially in the second half. Still thats what the team is telling Schecter
20 carries??? That's #1 RB carries. Is Perry benched after the 2nd series or something? This doesn't make sense...

NFL network reporting that Benson will be in on the third series and in a perfect world, they want to give him 20 carries. Doubt that Cincy will run the ball that much against Dallas, especially in the second half. Still thats what the team is telling Schecter
20 carries??? That's #1 RB carries. Is Perry benched after the 2nd series or something? This doesn't make sense...
If this is the case, makes you wonder whether they think Perry is better suited as a third-down back, and Benson is capable of carrying the load. They might just be right. The Bengals must think:Benson/Perry > Perry/WatsonAs a Perry/Benson owner, I'd just as soon see Benson take the job and run with it. No RBBC, please.Although, I agree that if the Cowboys pull ahead, we'd see a lot more of Perry.

Benson with almost as many carries as Perry. :rolleyes:
and Perry is about to fumble himself out of a job - that one in the 4th basically killed the bugnles momentum and essentially lost them the game. at least the CIN offense woke up, so there may be some value here. CB's ypc looked good through the 3rd qtr. this could get interesting in the coming weeks. especailly considering Benson probably knew maybe 10 plays today.

Benson with almost as many carries as Perry. :popcorn:
and Perry is about to fumble himself out of a job - that one in the 4th basically killed the bugnles momentum and essentially lost them the game. at least the CIN offense woke up, so there may be some value here. CB's ypc looked good through the 3rd qtr. this could get interesting in the coming weeks. especailly considering Benson probably knew maybe 10 plays today.
I still think Perry looked better carrying the ball but the fumbles have to stop. As you said, he may have fumbled his way out of a job (or atleast into a RBBC).

Reading between the lines in the articles posted in this thread BEFORE Watson was released and BEFORE Perry fumbled 17 times on Sunday, that now is the time to grab Cedric.

Is he a top 15 back? No. But if he goes for 100 and 1 against the Jets this weekend, it'll be too late to grab him. This team is not going to lose 16 games.

The signs are there..

1. Team immediately releases Watson

2. The Shefter report saying Ced could get a decent workload after being on the team for 5 days (if true.. first id heard of that report was in this thread).

3. Perry continues to fumble while Cedric gets 11 total touches in a winnable road game.

fo shizzle said:
Reading between the lines in the articles posted in this thread BEFORE Watson was released and BEFORE Perry fumbled 17 times on Sunday, that now is the time to grab Cedric.

Is he a top 15 back? No. But if he goes for 100 and 1 against the Jets this weekend, it'll be too late to grab him. This team is not going to lose 16 games.

The signs are there..

2. The Shefter report saying Ced could get a decent workload after being on the team for 5 days (if true.. first id heard of that report was in this thread).

3. Perry continues to fumble while Cedric gets 11 total touches in a winnable road game.
what does them not losing 16 games have to do with him being a viable fantasy player or not

fo shizzle said:
Reading between the lines in the articles posted in this thread BEFORE Watson was released and BEFORE Perry fumbled 17 times on Sunday, that now is the time to grab Cedric.Is he a top 15 back? No. But if he goes for 100 and 1 against the Jets this weekend, it'll be too late to grab him. This team is not going to lose 16 games.The signs are there..1. Team immediately releases Watson2. The Shefter report saying Ced could get a decent workload after being on the team for 5 days (if true.. first id heard of that report was in this thread).3. Perry continues to fumble while Cedric gets 11 total touches in a winnable road game.
You forgot to mention one thing - Benson sucks. They guy goes down on the first hit almost 90% of time. I saw him run in Chicago last year and this guy is a shellof his former college self. He really is soft. I'd be surprised if his YPC was over 3 yesterday.

As someone who owned Benson last year, I was shocked by how hard he was running yesterday. He really did look good. Perry on the other hand fumbled again.

Benson certainly is motivated, nice to see him give two ####s for the first time in his career. If he runs with a purpose like a he did yesterday, he just may have some value...

Last edited by a moderator:
fo shizzle said:

The signs are there..

what does them not losing 16 games have to do with him being a viable fantasy player or not
Fair enough. Although teams with leads like to run a bit more no? But i think my bigger point is that Cincinatti has played some tough teams very close so far this year.

fo shizzle said:
Reading between the lines in the articles posted in this thread BEFORE Watson was released and BEFORE Perry fumbled 17 times on Sunday, that now is the time to grab Cedric.Is he a top 15 back? No. But if he goes for 100 and 1 against the Jets this weekend, it'll be too late to grab him. This team is not going to lose 16 games.The signs are there..1. Team immediately releases Watson2. The Shefter report saying Ced could get a decent workload after being on the team for 5 days (if true.. first id heard of that report was in this thread).3. Perry continues to fumble while Cedric gets 11 total touches in a winnable road game.
You forgot to mention one thing - Benson sucks. They guy goes down on the first hit almost 90% of time. I saw him run in Chicago last year and this guy is a shellof his former college self. He really is soft. I'd be surprised if his YPC was over 3 yesterday.
Also fair enough.. Again I am not promoting top ten production. I am saying read between the lines from the events of the past 7 days. He may get a shot to carry a decent chunk of the load. And opportunity is half the battle in FF. Soft or not..

Per Sportsline:

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that he will give newly-acquired RB Cedric Benson a bigger role in Week 6 and beyond.(Updated 10/06/2008).
:popcorn:

Benson has the talent but lacked the desire, looks like he just might have found some motivation and Perry has slime eel hands.

Talent+motivation+opportunity= success

He might just be a decent RB#3 in the near future, stay tuned.....

I'm amazed there isn't more discussion of this. A top-5 drafted RB on the brink of potentially taking over a starting job?

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread