What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Buy can kiss my fanny good-bye (1 Viewer)

General Malaise

Footballguy
So I buy little GM the Lion King DVD for x-mas...I pay $19.99 for it last sunday morning. I pay cash. I'm pretty hungover from the night before. The receipt goes into some dark abyss I'll never retrieve.Little GM gets the Lion King from his aunt for Christmas. Mrs. GM tells me to return the one I got to Best Buy today. No problem. Well, one problem....I can't find the bloody receipt. But no worries, right? I mean it's unopened and in bright yellow letters it says "BEST BUY - $19.99".So I go in, I get in a long line and I wait. And I wait. It's a ####ing zoo in this hell hole. I finally get up to the return lady and she asks if I have a receipt. I told her I did not. So she then asks for my ID, phone number and writes down my address. She pops the info into her computer and then hands me a gift card for $11.99 and thanks me for shopping at Best Buy.Well....I got a big f'n problem. I told her that I paid $19.99 a week ago, why am I getting a store credit for only $11.99? It says on the DVD on a bright yellow sticker "$19.99". She tells me it is their policy to find the lowest price of an item within the last 30 days OF ANY BEST BUY STORE IN THE COUNTRY and give store credit for that price. :hot: :rant: So I told her that's ridiculous. I asked to speak to the manager, who came over and said "sorry, you don't have a receipt. That's our policy." To which I replied "You mean to tell me, because I don't have a receipt you go into your computer, find the lowest price this DVD went for in the last month...NOT AT THIS STORE...but any store in the country and then give me store credit for that?" Manager nods her head.Unreal. I asked for them to prove to me that this DVD was $11.99 anywhere, but they wouldn't do it. I cursed and called their policy "####ing idiotic" and asked "what happened to customer service?". The lady said "Don't you curse at me or I won't help you" and I said "HELP??? Is that what you call this screw job?" :hot: I took the store credit, said thanks for stealing my money and left. I kicked over a stand on my way out, threw some pennies on the floor and flicked off the little dude who called after me. Yeah I know...very immature. I don't care. Screw them and screw their return policy. I know it's my responsibility to keep all my receipts, but I remember a time where stores honored customers and valued their patrons. Best Buy will never see another dollar from me again. I'm going to use their store credit to wipe my butt. :hot: :rant: F You Best Buy.

If you saw a recently posted topic here about how to get a PS2 for half price you would better understand. I know for a fact that ToysRus had Lion King for $9.99 the day after Thanksgiving. Imagine you took that back to Best Buy with no receipt and they credited you $19.99. They lose the game at that point.

So some jacko buys every lion king DVD with 19.99 on the front for 11.99. Then after X-mas returns without a receipt and claims he got them for 19.99. I can see where they are coming from. Across the country=harsh. A valuable lesson for 8.00-save your receipt.

So some jacko buys every lion king DVD with 19.99 on the front for 11.99. Then after X-mas returns without a receipt and claims he got them for 19.99. I can see where they are coming from. Across the country=harsh. A valuable lesson for 8.00-save your receipt.
Or buy using a credit card or bankcard of some sort. They can track your purchase without a receipt that way.

Last month I got a DVD from BestBuy.com in the mail for my birthday from my sister who lives 1000 miles away. I had no interest in that DVD so I went to a local Best-Buy wishing to exchange it for a DVD that I did want. After a hour talking to about 3 people including a manager, the only thing they could do was refund the $$$'s to my sister's credit card. They not only lost business on that sale, they have lost me as a customer for any future sales. :angry:

Hold on....A big yellow sticker said BEST BUY $19.99So that rules out buying it at ToysRus and trying to screw them over.plus, there is a bar code on the plastic wrap that i'm sure IDs the product to Best Buy.Yeah, it's all my fault for not keeping the receipt, I get that. But I like cash and I'll continue to use it until i'm told not to. I just dislike their return policy and think it's a little far fetched that a DVD going for 19.99 was 8 dollars lower at another Best Buy. That's a HUGE mark down and I'm fairly certain big retail stores like Best Buy are pretty consistent on their pricing.I'm going to short their stock this year. that will make me feel better.unless their stock goes up :wall: then i'll feel worse. :wall:

Last month I got a DVD from BestBuy.com in the mail for my birthday from my sister who lives 1000 miles away. I had no interest in that DVD so I went to a local Best-Buy wishing to exchange it for a DVD that I did want. After a hour talking to about 3 people including a manager, the only thing they could do was refund the $$$'s to my sister's credit card. They not only lost business on that sale, they have lost me as a customer for any future sales. :angry:
RIGHT ON! This company sucks ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hold on....A big yellow sticker said BEST BUY $19.99So that rules out buying it at ToysRus and trying to screw them over.plus, there is a bar code on the plastic wrap that i'm sure IDs the product to Best Buy.Yeah, it's all my fault for not keeping the receipt, I get that. But I like cash and I'll continue to use it until i'm told not to. I just dislike their return policy and think it's a little far fetched that a DVD going for 19.99 was 8 dollars lower at another Best Buy. That's a HUGE mark down and I'm fairly certain big retail stores like Best Buy are pretty consistent on their pricing.I'm going to short their stock this year. that will make me feel better.unless their stock goes up :wall: then i'll feel worse. :wall:
You bring up some good points but keep in mind that Best Buy has to match other retailers prices and I can tell you for a fact that Toys R Us had it for $9.99 because I bought it for my girl.

I got a Best Buy credit card once. I bought a $200 receiver unit for my home entertainment center when I signed up for the card. They gave me like a $4000 credit line. My very first payment to them was 2 days late. The next time I was in there (maybe a week later) I went to put a DVD on the card and they said my card had been cancelled! No call. No letter. Just cancelled. Apparantly being two days late with a payment makes you a flight risk or something. I love that store as far as selection and prices are decent, but their customer service (as you can tell) is the bottom of the barrel and they really do have a lot to learn about pleasing customers. But, as we all know, as long as their prices are low and their selection abundant, people will keep their stupid-arses in business. GB capitalism.

Hold on....A big yellow sticker said BEST BUY $19.99So that rules out buying it at ToysRus and trying to screw them over.plus, there is a bar code on the plastic wrap that i'm sure IDs the product to Best Buy.Yeah, it's all my fault for not keeping the receipt, I get that.  But I like cash and I'll continue to use it until i'm told not to.  I just dislike their return policy and think it's a little far fetched that a DVD going for 19.99 was 8 dollars lower at another Best Buy.  That's a HUGE mark down and I'm fairly certain big retail stores like Best Buy are pretty consistent on their pricing.I'm going to short their stock this year.  that will make me feel better.unless their stock goes up  :wall:   then i'll feel worse.  :wall:
You bring up some good points but keep in mind that Best Buy has to match other retailers prices and I can tell you for a fact that Toys R Us had it for $9.99 because I bought it for my girl.
I don't doubt you, but then why were they selling it to me a week ago for $19.99 knowing full well other retailers were undercutting them?Why couldn't they prove to me that it was being sold for $11.99 else where in Best Buy world? that ticks me off. They could have said "$1.99" and I wouldn't have had a lick of recourse.Okay...I get it...save every ### #### receipt the rest of my life.
If you're really curious I'll find out for you. My GF works for Best Buy and can get the information for you quite readily if you do want to know.

argh, I was dragged there against my will today. I'm sorry but I don't get the whole bestbuy appeal. this is aside from their customer service even. i mean first there's never anywhere to park so we're forced to go into this underground bestbuy garage where everyone is fighting for parking spots, and then you have to take the illustrious bestbuy elevator up into the store, where everyone and their grandma is buzzing around trying to feed their entertainment addictions. i dont get it. that place drives me f'n nuts. i'd rather order online and pay for shipping then set foot in that crappy store if I dont have to. then again I pretty much dislike people in general, so maybe that's the problem.

Hold on....A big yellow sticker said BEST BUY $19.99So that rules out buying it at ToysRus and trying to screw them over.plus, there is a bar code on the plastic wrap that i'm sure IDs the product to Best Buy.Yeah, it's all my fault for not keeping the receipt, I get that.  But I like cash and I'll continue to use it until i'm told not to.  I just dislike their return policy and think it's a little far fetched that a DVD going for 19.99 was 8 dollars lower at another Best Buy.  That's a HUGE mark down and I'm fairly certain big retail stores like Best Buy are pretty consistent on their pricing.I'm going to short their stock this year.  that will make me feel better.unless their stock goes up  :wall:    then i'll feel worse.  :wall:
I don't doubt you, but then why were they selling it to me a week ago for $19.99 knowing full well other retailers were undercutting them?Why couldn't they prove to me that it was being sold for $11.99 else where in Best Buy world? that ticks me off. They could have said "$1.99" and I wouldn't have had a lick of recourse.Okay...I get it...save every receipt the rest of my life.
If you're really curious I'll find out for you. My GF works for Best Buy and can get the information for you quite readily if you do want to know.
No, that's alright. i'm just bitter. i'll be over it if the Eagles hold on and cover. thanks though.sorry if i sound like a ####.

Last edited by a moderator:
Target did something similar to us when our son was born. We had our baby registry through them. They said, "Here is this little card. It will help you if you need to return something." Well, our son was born pre-mature. We had gotten a ton of stuff that we DIDN'T put on our registry and a couple doubles. We took it all back (without receipts), got store credit for about $200 and went shopping for some tiny clothes. They had very little. We loaded up about $50 worth of stuff and went to check out. They would not give me the $150 difference. They said they couldn't do that. I asked them WTF the little card was for. They had record of us. Record of the purchases. AND THEY STILL REFUSED TO GIVE CASH BACK. I told the manager that we would be more than willing to spend the entire $200 there if they had some premee clothes but they did not. The manager actually had the nerve to say at one point, "How am I supposed to know if these people wanted you to have the money back?" :wall: :wall: :wall: I made them give me back everything I had returned (they had put it all away by that point) and took it back home to start calling people to get receipts. Oh yeah.. A stroller we returned was purchased for $150.. But initially they had only given us $100 in store credit (w/ no receipt) because of the same, 30 day cheapest price policy that Best Buy has.

DON'T LOOSE THE RECEIPTS!!!

It doesn't matter that there was a $19.99 sticker on it becuase when items go on sale, most stores do not remove the original price sticker; rather, they just put a bright red sale sticker over it with the sale price. So someone could easily buy a bunch at the sale price, remove the sale stickers, and then return them.I see your frusteration, but there policy is totally legit and necessary.

GM - Go into the Best Buy, pick an item to buy, then demand that the cashier search every Best Buy in the country for the lowest price. Make a big scene and waste time. Explain that you don't keep receipts and are familiar with their return policy, and just want to make sure that when you return it tomorrow you'll get all your money back.

I love shopping at Best Buy, but I hate buying from Best Buy. Let me explain. The workers there tell you that their opinion is unbiased because they aren't on commission, etc. Great, I hate being pressured into purchases. However, when you've made up your mind, they lecture you on how you're stupid if you don't get the "service plan". Everything I've ever read states that service plans are pretty much a rip, so I let say "no". Those a-holes just won't let it go though and even the cashier's offer it after you've made your escape from the other employees. Honestly, I bought a $12 keyboard from there and they offered me a service plan for like $7. One thing that really ticked me off is when my 60 year old mom bought her second computer there. Luckily, she brought me along because they started to tell her that the surge supressor she was using was no longer good because "those things only last about a year". So, to wrap up. Going to best buy is like going to the dentist. I know I have to go there, afterall I'm a guy and I need electronics and gadgets, but I know the end of the transaction is always going to be painful.

GB a good scam. Think of it this way. If you could scam $200 a day in 8 hours, that's the equivalent of $50K a year after taxes allowing for a 2 week vacation.Personally I don't blame these stores for getting a little tougher. They're all starting to do it so you won't be happy with the customer service anywhere.

Other than them not proving the DVD was on sale, I'd say they're pretty much living up to their end of their bargain.No receipt = no luck.That is pretty much every stores policy. You're only going to get back the lowest sales price in recent weeks.Deal with it.Next time go buy your stuff at Blockbuster. You'll not only pay 10% more, you'll get some clerk gestapo's zit pus on your receipt, that you'll surely keep this time.

so what did you buy/do you plan to buy with the $12 gift card?
I'm going to use their store credit to wipe my butt.
that was my plan.This ####ing store is going to sell the same DVD for $27.99........that's just wrong.I know I should hold on to all my receipts forever (thanks Grid) but for those of you waxing poetic about the poor corporations losing money to scam artists need to realize that this scam works both ways. Best Buy will sell the same Lion King DVD that they sold me to some body else for $19.99. They've just double dipped a sale and screwed who in the process??? That's right, their customers.Okay...I get it....stop telling me it's my fault for losing the receipt. I UNDERSTAND, corkeys. I just think it is wrong that this return policy, created to snuff out fraud, is ultimately bilking customers out of more money.

GM - Go into the Best Buy, pick an item to buy, then demand that the cashier search every Best Buy in the country for the lowest price. Make a big scene and waste time. Explain that you don't keep receipts and are familiar with their return policy, and just want to make sure that when you return it tomorrow you'll get all your money back.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: this sounds like a plan to me.tell me if this works... i would so do this.

I see where Best Buy (and many other stores) is coming from with this policy. But it sure is a shame that a huge company like Best Buy is not willing to take the risk to make you happy. They would be risking losing a whole 8 dollars. Im sure that will have a huge impact on their annual sales report! Instead they have pissed you off, and Im sure many others have been pissed off in this same situation. If the manager had any common sense, she could have realized that you would not be wasting your time trying to scam them for 8 dollars! It sure is scary thinking about how stupid some people are.

I see where Best Buy (and many other stores) is coming from with this policy. But it sure is a shame that a huge company like Best Buy is not willing to take the risk to make you happy. They would be risking losing a whole 8 dollars. Im sure that will have a huge impact on their annual sales report! Instead they have pissed you off, and Im sure many others have been pissed off in this same situation. If the manager had any common sense, she could have realized that you would not be wasting your time trying to scam them for 8 dollars! It sure is scary thinking about how stupid some people are.
exactly. i'm 30, have a family, make good money and live not 5 minutes from Best Buy. But guess what? I'll drink whale urine before I ever buy another product from their store anywhere ever.

That sucks. BIGTIME. I would've gone mideival on their ###. I have a similar story. I bought a can of Copenhagen snuff at a 7-11 a few years ago before golfing. I get to the golf course and open the can. It's like sawdust. I read the label and it's about a year old!!! For those of you out there who don't chew, if you get a can that's over a month old it's considered stale. I have a miserable round golfing without the chew and I go to the 7-11 afterwards to return it. The dot head at the counter asks me if I have a receipt. I said no, but check the dates on the other cans. He does, and sees the same year old date. He's still not convinced. He asks me what the guy looked like who I bought it from. I said, "He looked like you". The guy tells me that the person must have been Pushpa, and to come back tomorrow between 5 and 10 am when he is working. I told him he was on crack and to give me my money back. The people in line start getting on my case. The heat intensifies. I open the can of sawdust and dump it right on the counter, turn around, and walk out. The guy chases me to my car telling me to I am going to come back in and clean it up. I calmly walked to my car and opened the trunk and took out my 28" DeMarini Double Wall softball bat. I started walking toward the guy and he ran back into the store and locked it. I got in my car and drove away. I could tell he got my license plate number but the cops never called me. As immature as it was, man did it feel good.

I've got a computer, TV, digital camera, and surround sound system that I wouldn't have had until much later if it wasn't for Best Buy's same as cash plans. Additionally, on both the TV and the digital camera, I found them at a lower price two weeks after purchase, went into Best Buy and got the money back no questions asked. Their policy works both ways.I'm not saying the guys are saints, I just figured someone out to point out the other side of the story.

That sucks. BIGTIME. I would've gone mideival on their ###. I have a similar story. I bought a can of Copenhagen snuff at a 7-11 a few years ago before golfing. I get to the golf course and open the can. It's like sawdust. I read the label and it's about a year old!!! For those of you out there who don't chew, if you get a can that's over a month old it's considered stale. I have a miserable round golfing without the chew and I go to the 7-11 afterwards to return it. The dot head at the counter asks me if I have a receipt. I said no, but check the dates on the other cans. He does, and sees the same year old date. He's still not convinced. He asks me what the guy looked like who I bought it from. I said, "He looked like you". The guy tells me that the person must have been Pushpa, and to come back tomorrow between 5 and 10 am when he is working. I told him he was on crack and to give me my money back. The people in line start getting on my case. The heat intensifies. I open the can of sawdust and dump it right on the counter, turn around, and walk out. The guy chases me to my car telling me to I am going to come back in and clean it up. I calmly walked to my car and opened the trunk and took out my 28" DeMarini Double Wall softball bat. I started walking toward the guy and he ran back into the store and locked it. I got in my car and drove away. I could tell he got my license plate number but the cops never called me. As immature as it was, man did it feel good.
really..................... :rolleyes:

I think the Best Buy policy you have described is ridiculous and those who understand it must be envisioning some dude packing up the U-haul so he can drive cross-country scouting out the cheapest Best Buys so he can stock up on discount DVDs and truck 'em back to the more expensive store for redemption, recruiting an army of third world immigrants along the way to do the legwork. Or something like that. I mean, really... you got Mr. Family Man bringing back a lousy DVD and asking for his money back. The label clearly indicates it was a Best Buy sale. Just give him his money back and be done with it. I'd write the President of the company and prominently mention the store manager's name. Tell 'em if this is indeed the store's policy, they've lost many times that $8 just from you alone.

I think the Best Buy policy you have described is ridiculous and those who understand it must be envisioning some dude packing up the U-haul so he can drive cross-country scouting out the cheapest Best Buys so he can stock up on discount DVDs and truck 'em back to the more expensive store for redemption, recruiting an army of third world immigrants along the way to do the legwork. Or something like that. I mean, really... you got Mr. Family Man bringing back a lousy DVD and asking for his money back. The label clearly indicates it was a Best Buy sale. Just give him his money back and be done with it. I'd write the President of the company and prominently mention the store manager's name. Tell 'em if this is indeed the store's policy, they've lost many times that $8 just from you alone.
:thumbup: funny you should say that....I was thinking of writing the CFO or CEO and telling him about my adventure into his store. Then ask him if this is the way they treat their customers, how do they treat their shareholders? Why wouldn't I short their stock if they can't do the little things right on the battlefront? Either way, I'm shorting BBY on Monday. And yeah, when my boss asks "why", I'll tell him "spite"...he'll laugh, then tell me to cover.

If you saw a recently posted topic here about how to get a PS2 for half price you would better understand. I know for a fact that ToysRus had Lion King for $9.99 the day after Thanksgiving. Imagine you took that back to Best Buy with no receipt and they credited you $19.99. They lose the game at that point.
Gotta agree with the logic here. I'm sure I would have gotten pissed just like you did, but after cooling off I probably would see their point on this one. Some stores won't take anyting back, period, without a receipt.

Hey GM...drop me a PM with your e-mail. I have the perfect solution for you in the form of a power point presentation that's right on target. If nothing else, it will make you feel better.

Huh? How hard would it be to do this...Drive to Best Buy. Find the item that has the best sale currently. For arguments sake, lets say that the best sale you find in the entire store is a $50 video game on sale for $20. Buy all the copies they have. Even ask them to go in the back to get more copies. You'll probably be able to get 50-100 copies doing this.Pull off all of the sale tags, only leaving the regular price tags.Wait until the item is off sale.Drive 20 minutes to a different Best Buy. Get a full refund on all of those.You could make $3000 doing about 2 hours of work.Now, I realize that its obvious that GM wasn't doing this. However, that is why the policy is in place. And I"m sure that the manager there was given directions by his bosses that there are to be no exceptions to the official company policies. THIS IS THE MAIN POINT THAT YOU ALL ARE MISSING: MAJOR CORPORATIONS HAVE SET POLICIES THAT THE CORPORATE OFFICES GIVE THEM. THEY CANNOT BREAK THESE POLICIES.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, GM:I looked at my bank account yesterday and thought I had a little too much money in there. Decided to get a surround sound system. I've been thinking about doing it right: great receiver, big front speakers, nice bookshelves, etc. Today I just decided to get one of those Bose systems... easy and I can use it in the bedroom when I get to putting together my good system. Well, I stopped by my grandmother's yesterday to pick up one of my Xmas presents from my mom and my cousin was there. Mentioned that I was going to buy the system to her and she reminded me that her boyfriend worked at Best Buy. I was going to get a system that was just under $1000, but when he showed me the price he was going to pay for it, I opted for the bigger one. Basically saved about $400 AFTER giving him $50 for going through the trouble.Didn't really screw Best Buy out of any cash, but if he didn't do it for me, I would've bought the other system from the Best Buy a little closer to my house. Now I've got an overkill system for the bedroom when I get around to putting together the badass system later in the year.It's Saturday night and I'm going to be a geek. I've got 18 holes of surround sound Tiger Woods 2004 with my name on them and maybe a little FF X-2 later. :thumbup:

It's Saturday night and I'm going to be a geek. I've got 18 holes of surround sound Tiger Woods 2004 with my name on them and maybe a little FF X-2 later. :thumbup:
Wow, I can see you playing Tiger Woods golf.. but Final Fantasy? I've watched my nerd brother play that a couple times and you have to be a big time :nerd: to get into that stuff

Wow, I can see you playing Tiger Woods golf.. but Final Fantasy? I've watched my nerd brother play that a couple times and you have to be a big time :nerd: to get into that stuff
I'd say you have to be a :nerd: to even know what that abbreviation meant.

I'd say you have to be a :nerd: to even know what that abbreviation meant.
true. I probably wouldn't know except that it's the game my brother got for xmas a couple years ago.I mean he sits down to play it, and I sit down with him... and it's like 1/2 an hour of just a movie before you even start killing your first enemy, I'm sitting there wondering if we were watching a DVD or playing a video game. BUT, I do have to give Final Fantasy X props on a pretty cool soccer type sport game that you have to play somewhere along the way. I played that a couple times and even though it was impossible to beat it was still pretty cool

You should've stolen something on your way out the door. That would've made them think twice about screwin' you over :thumbup: maybe not

Maliaise, were I you, and I'm not, I would have done the following. Headed straight for the keyboard and electric piano section of the store. Dropped Trow. Deficated the nastiest, leakiest, beerfart BM on one or more of the keyboards. They can't really do anything to you, what can a cop say if you gotta go you gotta go. They can then eat a grand worth of keyboards caked with your Cleveland steamer and think next time they won't give you 8 bucks.

Huh? How hard would it be to do this...Drive to Best Buy. Find the item that has the best sale currently. For arguments sake, lets say that the best sale you find in the entire store is a $50 video game on sale for $20. Buy all the copies they have. Even ask them to go in the back to get more copies. You'll probably be able to get 50-100 copies doing this.Pull off all of the sale tags, only leaving the regular price tags.Wait until the item is off sale.Drive 20 minutes to a different Best Buy. Get a full refund on all of those.You could make $3000 doing about 2 hours of work.Now, I realize that its obvious that GM wasn't doing this. However, that is why the policy is in place. And I"m sure that the manager there was given directions by his bosses that there are to be no exceptions to the official company policies. THIS IS THE MAIN POINT THAT YOU ALL ARE MISSING: MAJOR CORPORATIONS HAVE SET POLICIES THAT THE CORPORATE OFFICES GIVE THEM. THEY CANNOT BREAK THESE POLICIES.
50 - 100 copies? See my comment about recruiting an army of third world immigrants to assist in making the exchanges. I can see where you're coming from now.But you are probably correct that the policy may be out of the manager's hands. But one must wonder how much discretion, from one store (Target, Walmart, Macy's, etc.), the manager has in implementing the policy. It is not inconceivable that the policy could be layed out as a basic guideline, exceptions at the manager's discretion to maintain goodwill among its customers. All the more reason to write the President or Chairman about the experience and prominently mention the manager's name. If the manager did indeed apply the policy as intended, they'll know where to send the commendation.

GM - I bought a 47 inch widescreen from Best Buy for 1,499. 4 days later on a Monday, a co-worker (who already owned the exact same model purchase a while back) says "Hey, Bernie's TV and Appliance has our TV for 999. See if you can get Best Buy to match the price." I pull out my copy of the Sunday paper, see the TV at Bernie's for 999 in their circular and head to Best Buy.

Well, the guy at Best Buy grabs the phone and says "Hold on. I have to see if Bernie's has any more in stock. In order for us to match the price, it has to be a price of something presently available." Of course, he gets off the phone and says "Sorry. Bernie's doesn't have any more at that price." After arguing about it for a good 10 minutes, I get in my car and scream over to Bernie's. Sure enough, there's the TV with a big red 999 sticker on the floor model.

Here's where it gets good. I ask the guy if I can buy this TV and he says he'll have to back order it. I said "No problem. How long will it take?" and he says "About 2 weeks". Then he drops this one...."but I can't give that sale price on a rain check. It'd have to be the regular purchase price."

After talking with him and candidly opening up how I already bought it from Best Buy and I just want to get them to match the 999 for me, he says "Well, we only had 35 of these TV's in stock at this price. That's why they put them on sale...to get rid of the last stock of them." I said "How long did it take you to sell out the 35 TV's?" and he says "Oh, I don't know...it was 35 TV's for all the Bernie's stores in Connecticut and Rhode Island. I think they were sold out by 11:00 am on Sunday."

So the only way I would have gotten Best Buy to match is if I got the circular Sunday morning, then RAN to Best Buy before 11 a.m. You gotta love a crappy "price match" policy and a classic "bait and switch" operation, huh? :rant:

If you do plan on writing the company, do so via snail mail. Emails to corporations rarely make it past the form letter stage ("Dear Sir/Madam...).Lion King DVD makes for a pretty good "re-gift".Lines were very short this Christmas at Circuit City.RIP Mom and Pop video stores. I ALWAYS gave them first crack at my dollar.

This topic really pushes my buttons. I could give you a few dozen similar stories of where some "big name" store screwed me over. But the fact of the matter is that it's nobody's fault but OUR OWN. The mom and pop stores are gone because we sold our souls to the "big corporations". About 10 years back my sister owned a very profitable small electronics store. Profitable that is, until "Best Buy" and "Circuit City" came to town. They were out of business within a year because they just couldn't compete with the big guys. Saw the same thing happen to our small town video store - "Hollywood Video" came into town and sold video rentals for $1. The "mom and pop" video store went out of business in 3 months and then Hollywood changed their video rentals to $3. This has happened all across America. So what do we have now? Nothing but the same old stores EVERYWHERE you go. The malls look almost identical everywhere you go - Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart (the WORST of them all). Personal service has been replaced with "corporate policies" that take common sense and throw it out the door because when you enter a store now, the "owner" is no longer there. The "owner" is some big, fat, rich, CEO who sets "corporate policies" and only looks at numbers (instead of customers) to determine how successful his business is.I'm not saying that you can't go to Olive Garden for dinner or Home Depot once in a while but when you constantly give your money to these big "super saver stores" and then expect fantastic customer service - Sorry your living in a dream world. WE made this bed, guess what? WE have to lie in it also. Maybe when we are all handing out friggin "smiley" stickers at Wal-Mart for minimum wage, then maybe somebody will get it... doubt it though...... :rant: :hot: :wall:
That's pretty hard to read there, but I think what you're saying is:Big Chain Stores = badBig Chain Stores exist because people support themthus... people = bad??

GM - I bought a 47 inch widescreen from Best Buy for 1,499. 4 days later on a Monday, a co-worker (who already owned the exact same model purchase a while back) says "Hey, Bernie's TV and Appliance has our TV for 999. See if you can get Best Buy to match the price." I pull out my copy of the Sunday paper, see the TV at Bernie's for 999 in their circular and head to Best Buy.

Well, the guy at Best Buy grabs the phone and says "Hold on. I have to see if Bernie's has any more in stock. In order for us to match the price, it has to be a price of something presently available." Of course, he gets off the phone and says "Sorry. Bernie's doesn't have any more at that price." After arguing about it for a good 10 minutes, I get in my car and scream over to Bernie's. Sure enough, there's the TV with a big red 999 sticker on the floor model.

Here's where it gets good. I ask the guy if I can buy this TV and he says he'll have to back order it. I said "No problem. How long will it take?" and he says "About 2 weeks". Then he drops this one...."but I can't give that sale price on a rain check. It'd have to be the regular purchase price."

After talking with him and candidly opening up how I already bought it from Best Buy and I just want to get them to match the 999 for me, he says "Well, we only had 35 of these TV's in stock at this price. That's why they put them on sale...to get rid of the last stock of them." I said "How long did it take you to sell out the 35 TV's?" and he says "Oh, I don't know...it was 35 TV's for all the Bernie's stores in Connecticut and Rhode Island. I think they were sold out by 11:00 am on Sunday."

So the only way I would have gotten Best Buy to match is if I got the circular Sunday morning, then RAN to Best Buy before 11 a.m. You gotta love a crappy "price match" policy and a classic "bait and switch" operation, huh? :rant:
I would hardly call that a "bait and switch". No one offered you one item, and then sold you a completely different item in it's place.

Either way, I'm shorting BBY on Monday. And yeah, when my boss asks "why", I'll tell him "spite"...he'll laugh, then tell me to cover.
I'd wait until the stock gets close to 60 and then short away...but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread