What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Hot Sauce? (1 Viewer)

While it's not my favorite hot sauce, I have a ton of respect for the product Tabasco puts out (and do really like it too). 

The taste is very unique.  Every other major brand of hot sauce has been copied with moderate success. TP/Crystal/Louisiana are all pretty similar. Replace one with the other and you don't lose much. Sriracha has plenty of decent imitations. And that's really true of damn near any food/drink category. The industry leader gets copied with decent success.

But not Tabasco. Nothing tastes like Tabasco. Incredible feat for an industry leader. 

Also, people point the vinegar being the first ingredient like it's a bad thing. It's all the more impressive that vinegar is the first ingredient, yet it's so much hotter than all the other "Louisiana style" hot sauces that list chiles as the top ingredient. Must be something with the aging, but I have no idea how they pull that off. The rest of the industry hasn't either. 

When I want that sharp vinegar bite with good heat, it's gotta be Tabasco (usually, I get that craving the most with eggs). Louisiana Gold is the closest I've seen, but it's a different animal (like it more overall than Tabasco).
Love Tabasco. Vinegar + heat = aces in my book. Used to have it with everything for years, but eventually did get a little tired of it, and probably even use Sriracha more than it now. But still nothing like a couple over easy/medium eggs mixed up with some crisp hash browns and drenched in Tabasco after a bit too much alcohol the previous night.

Late to the party here and didn't read all of the pages, but...

I think the big difference between hot sauces in general is whether they are predominantly vinegar based or not.  When people say they prefer the flavor of Tabasco over something like Tapatio (or vice versa) it is largely because of this element.

For me, I'm very partial to Sontava as a kind of combination.  The first ingredient isn't vinegar (like Tabasco) but it does have vinegar (where Tapatio does not have any).  I also like the very specific habanero flavor--it isn't very hot but the overall taste is well balanced IMO.  It is very similar to the types of hot sauce typically found in Belize (such as Marie Sharp's).

tacobell fire sauce

easy to carry around the packets in your pocket for emergency's

I also hear because its vinegar based it can be used as a disinfectant

What else do you use Tabasco on other than eggs? It is the only thing I use it on.
I use it on lot's of other stuff if I'm in the mood, but a salad is probably my 2nd favorite after eggs.

With both eggs and salad, Tabasco works so well because the sharp vinegar flavor and heat "cut the fat" and it's a nice balance of flavors (same reason for the origins of vinegar-based Pulled Pork). This assumes a creamy, fatty dressing on the salad (like Ranch or Bleu Cheese).  

Love this stuff.  The green one in particular.  It's pure heat with a nice taste.
It's become about the only sauce I use these days. I keep every major brand at the restaurant, including 4 different Yucateca's, but the green Yucateca is just so good. Black Yucateca is nice change of pace (very smoky flavor). I like the brown, but it's a little too hot for me most of time, and I like pretty hot stuff. Green's pretty much perfect, imo.

Love this stuff.  The green one in particular.  It's pure heat with a nice taste.
The second time I had his, I forgot about how much heat it had and poured it on like it was a typical hot sauce on a taco. I like this stuff but you can't do that with it... Or at least I can't. Dang that was one hot taco. 

Valentina still my go to for everyday sauce on hash browns, eggs, tacos, burritos etc.  $2 for a 34oz bottle in mexican shopping markets, always stock up with 3-4 bottles and am set for years for less than $10.  (it's things like this Amazon won't ever be able to price beat, unless they start giving it away to keep people shopping, $10 each on Amazon)

Tried Crystal instead of Franks for wings a while back and like it much better.

mmmm, spicy sea salt

I'm a big fan of a good habanero sauce. Mezzetta twist and shout, and Marie Sharp's Beware hab are really good ones. Good heat, and good flavor.

If I wanna kick it up a notch from there I like Blairs After Death sauce, and Dave's Gourmet Scorpion pepper sauce.

My favorite salsa is from Maria's salsa company.....the Roja.

Fuego Box
Is this worth looking into?
I received this as a gift last year. I thought about 1/3 of the varieties were good to great. Most were meh. I'd recommend going to Hot Sauce Guy's site and creating your own variety box. I've had about eight varieties so far, and haven't had a miss, and had some tremendous surprises (Cherry Chipotle, Heat's a Peach, and Year of the Dog being some personal favorites).

Fuego Box
I received this as a gift last year. I thought about 1/3 of the varieties were good to great. Most were meh. I'd recommend going to Hot Sauce Guy's site and creating your own variety box. I've had about eight varieties so far, and haven't had a miss, and had some tremendous surprises (Cherry Chipotle, Heat's a Peach, and Year of the Dog being some personal favorites).
Thank you! :wub:

Fuego Box
Thank you! :wub:
Thank you for putting out a kick-*** product! How long is an unopened bottle of hot sauce really good for? Do you really have to pay much attention to the best by date?

Users who are viewing this thread