What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Opening Scene in a Movie (1 Viewer)

Everyone voting for Tarantino movies in here (deservedly) and admittedly my first thought was Basterds. But nobody has mentioned Django Unchained yet? That opening scene in the woods where we meet King Schultz and Django, and the Speck brothers....Christoph Waltz might be the best actor I've ever seen...

Everyone voting for Tarantino movies in here (deservedly) and admittedly my first thought was Basterds. But nobody has mentioned Django Unchained yet? That opening scene in the woods where we meet King Schultz and Django, and the Speck brothers....Christoph Waltz might be the best actor I've ever seen...

I could watch Waltz play that character until the end of time. One of my very favorites.

Great one. No director does opening scenes like QT. Almost every movie is a banger.

How to win an Oscar in the opening scene...

Be seated. Now, I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country. Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans, traditionally, love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. Now, I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating. Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best men in the world. You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken-out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now, there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything--except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ***. We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home, and you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, "What did you do in the great World War II?" -- you won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled **** in Louisiana."

Alright now you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.

That's all.

All the best ones have been mentioned but for a guilty pleasure type movie, Swordfish has a good opening with Travolta.

The opening scene in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. is pretty great imo. I love the whole movie, especially the dialogue.

How to win an Oscar in the opening scene...

Be seated. Now, I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country. Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans, traditionally, love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. Now, I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating. Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best men in the world. You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken-out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now, there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything--except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ***. We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home, and you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, "What did you do in the great World War II?" -- you won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled **** in Louisiana."

Alright now you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.

That's all.
great movie

UPDATE: I definitely rewatched Inglourious Basterds as a result of this thread last night ;)
ZOMG JAYSUS HI!!!11 I did the same thing with Baby Driver
I REALLY love the music, and especially the girl on Baby Driver. Her and AV in Man from U.N.C.L.E. are two of my all time hall pass movie girls. I kinda like Ana De Armas also, she's third. 😀

The kid in Baby Driver is a great actor also. Don't know him at all, but he killed that role.

Probably more niche but The Avengers : Infinity War opening with Thanos on board Asgard after wiping out half of them, was a pretty great opening scene.

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night because of this thread. I didn't like the movie at all when I watched it the first time (only time) but I did recall the opening scene being very good.

Opening scene is still very good, very dramatic. But then it cuts away to Brad Pitt and I remembered why I didn't care for this movie the first time around. It goes from great acting to bad acting immediately. I shut it off a few minutes into his bit. Meh.

Star wars for sure. Just the scale of it was crazy.

Just watched Raiders the other day and same thing. Problem with every Lucas film after those were that they were derivative of those two in terms of the openings.

I'd argue the opening to Iron Man was solid as well.

Brad Pitt and I remembered why I didn't care for this movie the first time around. It goes from great acting to bad acting immediately.
Really, I thought he was hysterical in that movie.

I think the "over-acting" was intentional and helped form the character.

I didn't care for it when I saw it the first time and I had less patience for it this time around. It was off-putting, even if intentional. Why go from such a terrific, dramatic opening to whacky FM DJ schlock?

Brad Pitt and I remembered why I didn't care for this movie the first time around. It goes from great acting to bad acting immediately.

I didn't care for it when I saw it the first time and I had less patience for it this time around. It was off-putting, even if intentional. Why go from such a terrific, dramatic opening to whacky FM DJ schlock?
Was it your first time with a Tarantino film? ;)

His acting gets even worse the further you get into the movie. It had to of been intentional.

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night because of this thread. I didn't like the movie at all when I watched it the first time (only time) but I did recall the opening scene being very good.

Opening scene is still very good, very dramatic. But then it cuts away to Brad Pitt and I remembered why I didn't care for this movie the first time around. It goes from great acting to bad acting immediately. I shut it off a few minutes into his bit. Meh.
The over acting was on purpose and made me laugh. The last 45 mins of that movie were the best imo. I assumed the over acting, especially the accent, was to counter Chris. It worked perfectly imo.

I hated Fight Club and not a huge BP guy. Except Oceans Eleven. He was great in that.

I run hot and cold with him. Loved Pulp Fiction, think True Romance (which he wrote but didn't direct) is a top 10 movie all time for me and appreciate Reservoir Dogs. But when he's "off" he's off like a bad Norwood kick. I don't think I'm alone on Inglorious Basterds either....it just didn't work for me at all. Even though I liked the opening scene.

Capturing your interest, setting the stage, giving you a taste in the anticipation of what is to come; the opening scene of a movie is very important.

What are some of the most memorable or best opening scenes that you that you liked from a movie?

Mentioned elsewhere is the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. I am also partial to the opening scenes from Once Upon a Time in the West, Saving Private Ryan and from an “oldie”Beau Geste.
Three Days Of The Condor

The over acting was on purpose and made me laugh. The last 45 mins of that movie were the best imo. I assumed the over acting, especially the accent, was to counter Chris. It worked perfectly imo.

I hated Fight Club and not a huge BP guy. Except Oceans Eleven. He was great in that.

Wasn't a fan of Fight Club either.

I get that the over acting was on purpose; doesn't mean it was enjoyable to all. I hated it. Hated the murder of Hitler too. C'mon....

His acting gets even worse the further you get into the movie. It had to of been intentional.

Yeah, I've watched the whole thing. Didn't like it the first time; more resolute now in my opinion. I can't be the only person who found this movie not very good.

I run hot and cold with him. Loved Pulp Fiction, think True Romance (which he wrote but didn't direct) is a top 10 movie all time for me and appreciate Reservoir Dogs. But when he's "off" he's off like a bad Norwood kick. I don't think I'm alone on Inglorious Basterds either....it just didn't work for me at all. Even though I liked the opening scene.
No you aren't alone - what you are describing, while not ruining the whole movie, usually downgrades my rating and enjoyment of them. IMO he took two otherwise perfect films in Basterds and Once Upon and jammed his usual violent shlock in them. I really dislike his lean to that and rewriting history with his endings. It frustrates me to no end, because I'd say the opening shot and bar scene of Basterds are some of his or anybody's best work behind a camera.

Capturing your interest, setting the stage, giving you a taste in the anticipation of what is to come; the opening scene of a movie is very important.

What are some of the most memorable or best opening scenes that you that you liked from a movie?

Mentioned elsewhere is the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. I am also partial to the opening scenes from Once Upon a Time in the West, Saving Private Ryan and from an “oldie”Beau Geste.
Three Days Of The Condor
That’s a good one from a really good movie.

Young me, in that moment, would have said the cigarette truck chase opening scene in Beverly Hills Cop would never be topped. The endless Eff Bombs (uncommon then), the cool factor of Murphy, crashing police cars (total carnage!) and of course the Pointer Sisters bringing the heat.

Perfect opening scene.

My entry into the 80s MTV music montage is on full display

Beverly Hills Cop '84

We go from "The Heat is On" to the Pointer Sisters doing the "Neutron Dance"
I must have missed your post. 100% agree.

The Villainess is on Prime - watch the first scene. First person John Wick, essentially - pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread