What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Closing Scene in a Movie (1 Viewer)

My favorite is Secretariat at the last race and the people’s faces are being shown and described what they did and in the background is the actual Penny Chenery the real owner of Secretariat. My eyes watered a lot in that movie!

My “didn’t see that coming” ending would be The Village.
I lived it. Love that movie.
You were there?
No, wish I lived it that close, but I did watch all 3 triple crown races live. I grew up in Ky, where horse racing is king and Secretariat had caught the nation's attention like no other before or since. On the cover of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated, The Belmont Stakes was surreal. Jack Nicklaus confessed in an interview that he cried while watching Secretariat win the Belmont by 31 lengths, but wondered why. “All of your life, in your game, you’ve been striving for perfection,” CBS’ Heywood Hale Broun told him. “At the end of the Belmont, you saw it.”

Last edited:
The ending of Pieces of April gets me every time. :cry: We watch it every Thanksgiving Eve.

Also love the ending of Limbo from John Sayles. Some hate it but I think it's perfect.

Neither of these are "the best" (there can be only one), but are two endings I initially thought of when seeing the thread title.

The Natural, Miracle, and Hoosiers. Also Shawshank Redemption.
i’ve said this before, barbara hershey almost killed the natural and wouldn’t let jimmy chitwood hoop. talent killer…..
She was popular in the 80s. I didn’t even realize I posted two movies with her in them.
here’s a little known fact…..the entire hershey empire, all of it, she is not related to them.

They're basically the same thing, so I'll mention the endings of Animal House and Stripes, where we learn what happened to the characters after the movie ended.

Douglass Niedermeyer: shot by his own troops, Vietnam.
Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky, Washington, D.C.

Win a dream date with Ox!
Ziskey on the Russians: They're pussies!
Fast Times at Ridgemont High did the same thing.

"AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!" Alright Hamilton!

Haven't see it mentioned here but Carlitos Way deserves some love. "Remember me, Benny Blanco from the Bronx?" Epic line. Definitely an underrated gangster flick. One of my favorites, up there with Goodfellas.

It's the sequel to scarface. Better than scarface as well

They're basically the same thing, so I'll mention the endings of Animal House and Stripes, where we learn what happened to the characters after the movie ended.

Douglass Niedermeyer: shot by his own troops, Vietnam.
Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky, Washington, D.C.

Win a dream date with Ox!
Ziskey on the Russians: They're pussies!
Fast Times at Ridgemont High did the same thing.

"AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!" Alright Hamilton!
Rat and Stacey still haven't done it.

Haven't see it mentioned here but Carlitos Way deserves some love. "Remember me, Benny Blanco from the Bronx?" Epic line. Definitely an underrated gangster flick. One of my favorites, up there with Goodfellas.

It's the sequel to scarface. Better than scarface as well

Agreed. Definitely more mature and cinematic than Scarface which was rough around the edges. In a draft, I'd probably take David Kleinfeld over Tony Montana but that's just me.

I am totally shocked nobody mentioned Karate Kid.

I liked the original ending which was cut and added to the start of Part 2. Sensei beating up Johnny in the parking lot and Miyagi coming to his defense with the nose honk.

100% recencty bias, but I bawled like a baby during the end of A Man Name Otto last night.

Not best ending ever, but definitely best ending of a Chevy Chase 80s comedy, and maybe best ending of an 80s comedy overall: By the way, I charged it to the Underhills....

100% recencty bias, but I bawled like a baby during the end of A Man Name Otto last night.

Not best ending ever, but definitely best ending of a Chevy Chase 80s comedy, and maybe best ending of an 80s comedy overall: By the way, I charged it to the Underhills....

This movie was better than expected. Hanks is just so natural. You forget he's acting.

We could pretty much list any of the first four Rocky films, but II still gives me goosebumps. When the ref tells Apollo, “you’re out,” followed by the shot of Paulie and Adrian leaping to their feet, that’s a chill-inducing moment every time.

Ironically I was watching the end of Pulp Fiction yesterday and the ending Coffee Shop scene was much worse than I remembered.
Dragged out to the point of silliness with a repeat of the bible verses yet again and the ridiculous "take my $1,500".
There is so much good dialogue in the film as a whole but it really missed the mark in this scene.
It would actually make my "worst ending scene" list.

Movie ending was so much dumber than the book.... Hollywood at it's finest.

I disagree actually. It was one of the few examples of the movie ending being way better in my opinion. Even Stephen King loved the movie ending:

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1208270/why-stephen-king-defends-the-mists-terrific-yet-divisive-ending/#

Stephen King defended the film's grim ending as "terrific" because it was "so anti-Hollywood — anti-everything, really! It was nihilistic. I liked that." In the oral history of the "The Mist" for /Film, Frank Darabont recalls his hesitation to change King's original ending. He wanted to make sure the author approved of the new direction he was taking his story:

"I put it in his hands. And he wrote back and he said, 'I read it. I love your ending. I'm sorry I didn't think of it, because I would've written that instead.' [...] [H]e said, 'We need movies that dare to piss people off.'"

Dazed and Confused. Aerosmith tickets! :slowride:

I just watched this three times. Beings back memories for sure. We used to always pull all nighters to get tickets, and bringing the sun up with the boys. My favorite ending ever, I lived it many times.

Another great one that I think people are overlooking because it's not a twist or anything. In the space of less than 60 seconds of film, we get:
a) A freshman who has successfully passed his initiation rites, has his whole high school career to look forward to, and knows it.
b) Four seniors who are having the time of their lives, and know it.
All set to a song that screams "mid-70s." Perfect. I always want to immediately start the film again after this ending.

The Godfather should have been mentioned before page 3. I love how this movie manages to arrange it so that lying to Kay signifies Michael's fall.

Apocalypto had one of the most powerful endings I can remember and such a clever way to end the film.
Great answer. This ending took me completely by surprise, but in hindsight it was perfect and I should have seen it coming. I'm not a big fan of Mel Gibson movies overall, but Apocalypto is the one title of his that I would say is underrated.

SPOILER

I loved the movie, but the ending suffers a bit from such highly unlikely timing when our hero is saved, first by a solar eclipse and then by a fleet of Spanish conquistadors - each arriving precisely when needed to spare him from certain death.

Apocalypto had one of the most powerful endings I can remember and such a clever way to end the film.
Great answer. This ending took me completely by surprise, but in hindsight it was perfect and I should have seen it coming. I'm not a big fan of Mel Gibson movies overall, but Apocalypto is the one title of his that I would say is underrated.

SPOILER

I loved the movie, but the ending suffers a bit from such highly unlikely timing when our hero is saved, first by a solar eclipse and then by a fleet of Spanish conquistadors - each arriving precisely when needed to spare him from certain death.
Yeah I know, but it's a Mel Gibson movie. He has something to say about the Aztec civilization, and he's going to hammer that point home come hell or high water. Both of those events were critically important to what Gibson was saying. The didacticism is what I don't like about his films, so you and I are sort of agreeing

SPOILER

That’s surely fair - but I take it as at the end of the day it’s a movie.

I guess part of what I like about the ending, although obviously contrived in its timing is that “he’s saved” but for how long really? Is he really saved?

Movie ending was so much dumber than the book.... Hollywood at it's finest.

I disagree actually. It was one of the few examples of the movie ending being way better in my opinion. Even Stephen King loved the movie ending:

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1208270/why-stephen-king-defends-the-mists-terrific-yet-divisive-ending/#

Stephen King defended the film's grim ending as "terrific" because it was "so anti-Hollywood — anti-everything, really! It was nihilistic. I liked that." In the oral history of the "The Mist" for /Film, Frank Darabont recalls his hesitation to change King's original ending. He wanted to make sure the author approved of the new direction he was taking his story:

"I put it in his hands. And he wrote back and he said, 'I read it. I love your ending. I'm sorry I didn't think of it, because I would've written that instead.' [...] [H]e said, 'We need movies that dare to piss people off.'"
I thought the book ended perfectly.. left it up to your imagination. Needing an ending, any kind of ending, is Hollywood to me. Was it edgy? sure.. but it still felt wrong to me. But if King himself said he liked the ending better, who am I to argue.. I'm just an ordinary Constant Reader :)

Before Sunset (the second one). You know you're getting closer and closer to the end of the movie, and you're wondering how they're going to resolve everything, and then suddenly they do it in the space of two lines:

"Baby, you're gonna miss that plane."
"I know."

Users who are viewing this thread