What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Opening Scene in a Movie (1 Viewer)

Moonlight

Footballguy
Capturing your interest, setting the stage, giving you a taste in the anticipation of what is to come; the opening scene of a movie is very important.

What are some of the most memorable or best opening scenes that you that you liked from a movie?

Mentioned elsewhere is the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. I am also partial to the opening scenes from Once Upon a Time in the West, Saving Private Ryan and from an “oldie”Beau Geste.

Capturing your interest, setting the stage, giving you a taste in the anticipation of what is to come; the opening scene of a movie is very important.

What are some of the most memorable or best opening scenes that you that you liked from a movie?

Mentioned elsewhere is the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. I am also partial to the opening scenes from Once Upon a Time in the West, Saving Private Ryan and from an “oldie”Beau Geste.
Field of Dreams. 😉

Basterds is my answer.

Another vote for Basterds. It immediately came to mind without much thought. Saving Private Ryan would get runner up and probably a Kubrick movie in 3rd.

Mentioned elsewhere is the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. I am also partial to the opening scenes from Once Upon a Time in the West, Saving Private Ryan and from an “oldie”Beau Geste
Yeah my first thought is Saving Private Ryan as well, that's not the opening scene unfortunately, it's the cemetery scene.

The first 20 minutes or so of When A Stranger Calls is about as powerfully scary as any other movie opening on record IMO. The rest of the movie didn’t quite live up though.

Last edited:
Guardians 2

"Movie currently in theaters". (Hint: It's pink.)

Romancing the Stone

Gone Wth the Wind

Blazing Saddles "I get no kick from champagne..."

X2: X-Men United (Nightcrawler invading the White House was really well done.)

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (Groovy, baby!)

Touch of Evil

Last edited:
Dark Knight, Basterds, Scream, Goodfellas, and Pulp Fiction immediately came to mind but they were all mentioned already so I'll add another Tarantino (Resevoir Dogs), a classic (Full Metal Jacket), and a curveball (Super Troopers).

The Lion King: so good, they made it the whole trailer

Saving Private Ryan

Star Wars

Bastards

Apocalypse Now

Deadpool

My fav title sequenc: Se7en

Jaws
Saving Private Ryan - gets me every time.
The Godfather
Blade Runner
Once Upon a Time in the West
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Office Space - every time I drive to work and I'm stuck on the freeway, I think about this opening scene, classic! :)
Up
Reservoir Dogs
The Matrix
Vertigo
Skyfall
Iron Man - and I'm really not much of a fan of the comic book movies but I absolutely love the opening of that movie.

Last edited:
Two other votes:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Up :crying:

Love both of these choices but want to talk about Up for a minute.

With a ton to choose from this my be my single favorite animated scene ever - the raw emotion they are able to achieve and the way they draw you in - also dealing with death which is rarely done in children's animation. Just fantastic.

Wolf of Wall Street

The [redacted] of the [redacted], particularly the [redacted], was completely unexpected and indelible.

Once Upon a Time...not the one you're thinking
This would be super high on my list and if you've never seen this 1968 classic/gem you are doing yourself a disservice.

There is another 3-4 minutes that isn't in the 1st clip but it's all 1 long opening scene and its tremendous
It was highlighted in the OP, it's quality

Last edited:
The Spy Who Loves me is tough to beat. All Time Song intertwined.

Back to the Future "I'm late for school!" got eleven year old me SUPER HYPED.

In 93 or whatevs, the Dazed and Confused opening really set the stage. Basic too.

Raiders, 28 Weeks Later, Up and Saving Private Ryan all top-notch selections.

Of those not mentioned yet, I'll throw in The Godfather Part II. The genesis of Vito Andolini, whom we would all come to know as Don Corleone.

Users who are viewing this thread