What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black holes at WR...Black holes in the DD rounds of the drafts (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
If you have had any recent drafts for the season you know that come about round 9 or 10 things start to look pretty bleak at WR especially in PPR leagues where teams can start 3-5 WRs and albeit they are streaky even the good ones, at a certain point you stand a chance to get knocked out because of your wideouts. I think you can let things slide a smidge in the best ball leagues but where you have to actually start 3 the hard way and you are facing teams with trios like Calvin/Cruz/White and you are trying to figure out if Chris Givens is the right call over perhaps Cordarelle Patterson, it could be a long season. Now some of the early gems seem to be guys like Josh Gordon who hangs around about 3-4 rounds too long because of a 2 game suspension. He's a gamble for sure but if he hits he can be top 12 the rest of the way and this is a guy that is usually a WR3 for some teams. Love the upside.

But this is not so much about Gordon although i got sidetracked but I thought it would be a good idea to highlight some teams that have terrible situations and can barely field a solid WR1 let alone 2-3 that are being scooped up by some owners.

AFC: Miami seems content with Hartline, he's around after the first 35-40 WRs are gone typically. Denver has their slots locked down with Decker and Welker however you want to slice that up, owners seem to be eager to settle for any of it. A lot of these teams do not have a defined role yet or pecking order. If you have more insight, no need to be shy, we're all here to learn.

New England: If someone could give a decided answer to who will catch the most balls after the Amen/TE1 slots, seems to be several of them being drafted in the double digit rounds.

Buffalo: Does it matter right now who the #2 is after Johnson? Woods/Graham? Rodgers/Smith?

NY Jets: Where do you put Stephen Hill? Do you care with the QB situation there?

Baltimore: Jacoby Jones seriously? Can you ever start him with confidence?

Pittsburgh: Sanders/Wheaton/Cotch?

Cincinnati: Is Sanu on track or can Marvin Jones wrestle this away? What happens if they run 2 TE sets?

Cleveland: Greg Little seems obvious, suddenly Travis Benjamin with Bess as the WR4, if Little falters they could make Bess the WR2 which he has done and shuffle Benjamin into the slot or vice versa where benjamin played outside at UM.

Houston: It's Hopkins, it's just how much can we expect form Hopkins in year 1?

Indy: I thought this was TY Hilton but others say DHB, feels like the old Miller Lite commercials.

Jacksonville: Think Week 6 or whenever Blackmon is back because he will be the WR1 in this offense make no mistake. Then it is Cecil Shorts but he has upside and Blackmon may only make his life easier. Some experts on other sites think he is a bust candidate. I am also interested i Ace Sanders if he can make the team and then see the field. Not expecting much from him rookie year but I like his skills.

Tennessee: Quietly scoop up Nate Washington, eventually Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to find the field and the two of them are going to move the sticks to help Chris Johnson and that running attack, keep those defenses honest. Washington as always is criminally underrated and likely going to start.

Kansas City: Pull a name out of the hat. Does it matter with Alex Smith? Don't get defensive, he has looked average at best so far. Bowe might catch a lot of balls but that's not what this thread is about.

Oakland: This offense looks horrible right now.

San Diego: I think this could be fluid and even receivers from other teams who might be cut, could end up in San Diego.

NFC: Dallas is set with Austin. The Giants barring injury have Nicks or 2 WR slots that produce points no matter the guys as of late. Atlanta obviously is going with White and Julio however you want to rank them 1-2 or 2-1. New Orleans has a solid choice in Lance Moore although I think Graham and Sproles will eat into his numbers as the 4th option some. Tampa Bay is going to roll with Mike Williams of course.

Philadelphia: You think Riley Cooper can maintain that spot? Can he post 800 yards/5TD?

Washington: They say it's Josh Morgan but I have never seen that guy be able to play consistently at a high level to make a difference. I'm losing faith in Hankerson. Santana Moss offers 8 TD from a year ago but only 41 receptions, perhaps RG3 can find Moss a few more times, he certainly seems to haul the big catches in, a season of say 50/700/5TD would put him around WR40-50 and that's ahead of where he is typically drafted. Not a lot of upside and maybe that's why he lasts forever. Odds are he will catch a few more TDs this year, 18 total the past 3 seasons.

Chicago: Seem to be ready to roll with Alshon Jeffery although we do not know really what to expect in terms of production.

Detroit: Is Nate Burleson going to be able to fend of Broyles?

Green Bay: If Cobb misses time(bicep injury) or is ineffective, who is going to pick up the slack? The TD hawk James Jones?

Minnesota: My question is who will get more receptions? Jennings or Patterson? What is the prize on this team going to be with Ponder throwing the football?

Carolina: Can LaFell hold this job? I thought he was losing to Louis Murphy at times last season. he has a couple of guys behind him that could gain ground. Seems to be going pretty late in drafts right now.

San Fran: Doesn't seem to be a lucrative spot anyways.

Seattle: Is Rice now the WR2 on this team or is that still Golden Tate who is now going int he 6th/7th rounds of a lot of drafts I see.

St Louis: Who is the WR1 here? Have we settled that first?

Arizona: Floyd right?

Lot of questions from me, more questions than answers I am afraid. Any WRs you are targeting after the 9th or 10th round?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think guys like Tate and Hopkins are more in the Givens range, but of the later picks you mentioned, I'm most intrigued by Jeffery, Wheaton and Stephen Hill, and Sanu, in that order. Each has some nice upside but probably only WR3 best case scenario. I'd put Rueben Randle in this group too but I've been cooling on him lately and really only see value for him if Nicks/Cruz are injured (which might be likely).

Keenan Allen is becoming a bit interesting to me and even deeper, I'm keeping a close eye on Gettis from the Panthers. Long shot, but he's performing and that WR group is yuck

I think Kenny Stills in New Orleans might end up being a great late round pick. They have a lot of targets, but the kid just keeps making plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all that, the nugget that helps me the most is Gordon getting a 3 round discount over a 2 game suspension. :moneybag:

thanks MOP

Marvin can't wrestle away Sanu's job. Largely b/c Sanu can play slot. If there's 2 WRs on the field for Cincy, like 90% of the time it's gonna be AJ and Sanu. With Eifert on board the number of 2-TE sets will jump a lot and they like to use a FB as well. I really Sanu is the only other guy worth drafting in terms of Cincy WRs and it should be in one of the ending rounds.

-QG

Woods is the #2 WR in Buffalo. More of a dynasty/keeeper stash for now I'd think. Or a bye week fill in. I like Goodwin after that. Goodwin is the type of guy that could be a great bye week gamble if they're up against a weak or slower secondary. He has the type of skills where he could put up a couple of 50+ yard TDs on just a few targets.

If you have had any recent drafts for the season you know that come about round 9 or 10 things start to look pretty bleak at WR especially in PPR leagues where teams can start 3-5 WRs and albeit they are streaky even the good ones, at a certain point you stand a chance to get knocked out because of your wideouts. I think you can let things slide a smidge in the best ball leagues but where you have to actually start 3 the hard way and you are facing teams with trios like Calvin/Cruz/White and you are trying to figure out if Chris Givens is the right call over perhaps Cordarelle Patterson, it could be a long season. Now some of the early gems seem to be guys like Josh Gordon who hangs around about 3-4 rounds too long because of a 2 game suspension. He's a gamble for sure but if he hits he can be top 12 the rest of the way and this is a guy that is usually a WR3 for some teams. Love the upside.

But this is not so much about Gordon although i got sidetracked but I thought it would be a good idea to highlight some teams that have terrible situations and can barely field a solid WR1 let alone 2-3 that are being scooped up by some owners.

AFC: Miami seems content with Hartline, he's around after the first 35-40 WRs are gone typically. Denver has their slots locked down with Decker and Welker however you want to slice that up, owners seem to be eager to settle for any of it. A lot of these teams do not have a defined role yet or pecking order. If you have more insight, no need to be shy, we're all here to learn.

New England: If someone could give a decided answer to who will catch the most balls after the Amen/TE1 slots, seems to be several of them being drafted in the double digit rounds.

Buffalo: Does it matter right now who the #2 is after Johnson? Woods/Graham? Rodgers/Smith?

NY Jets: Where do you put Stephen Hill? Do you care with the QB situation there?

Baltimore: Jacoby Jones seriously? Can you ever start him with confidence?

Pittsburgh: Sanders/Wheaton/Cotch?

Cincinnati: Is Sanu on track or can Marvin Jones wrestle this away? What happens if they run 2 TE sets?

Cleveland: Greg Little seems obvious, suddenly Travis Benjamin with Bess as the WR4, if Little falters they could make Bess the WR2 which he has done and shuffle Benjamin into the slot or vice versa where benjamin played outside at UM.

Houston: It's Hopkins, it's just how much can we expect form Hopkins in year 1?

Indy: I thought this was TY Hilton but others say DHB, feels like the old Miller Lite commercials.

Jacksonville: Think Week 6 or whenever Blackmon is back because he will be the WR1 in this offense make no mistake. Then it is Cecil Shorts but he has upside and Blackmon may only make his life easier. Some experts on other sites think he is a bust candidate. I am also interested i Ace Sanders if he can make the team and then see the field. Not expecting much from him rookie year but I like his skills.

Tennessee: Quietly scoop up Nate Washington, eventually Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to find the field and the two of them are going to move the sticks to help Chris Johnson and that running attack, keep those defenses honest. Washington as always is criminally underrated and likely going to start.

Kansas City: Pull a name out of the hat. Does it matter with Alex Smith? Don't get defensive, he has looked average at best so far. Bowe might catch a lot of balls but that's not what this thread is about.

Oakland: This offense looks horrible right now.

San Diego: I think this could be fluid and even receivers from other teams who might be cut, could end up in San Diego.

NFC: Dallas is set with Austin. The Giants barring injury have Nicks or 2 WR slots that produce points no matter the guys as of late. Atlanta obviously is going with White and Julio however you want to rank them 1-2 or 2-1. New Orleans has a solid choice in Lance Moore although I think Graham and Sproles will eat into his numbers as the 4th option some. Tampa Bay is going to roll with Mike Williams of course.

Philadelphia: You think Riley Cooper can maintain that spot? Can he post 800 yards/5TD?

Washington: They say it's Josh Morgan but I have never seen that guy be able to play consistently at a high level to make a difference. I'm losing faith in Hankerson. Santana Moss offers 8 TD from a year ago but only 41 receptions, perhaps RG3 can find Moss a few more times, he certainly seems to haul the big catches in, a season of say 50/700/5TD would put him around WR40-50 and that's ahead of where he is typically drafted. Not a lot of upside and maybe that's why he lasts forever. Odds are he will catch a few more TDs this year, 18 total the past 3 seasons.

Chicago: Seem to be ready to roll with Alshon Jeffery although we do not know really what to expect in terms of production.

Detroit: Is Nate Burleson going to be able to fend of Broyles?

Green Bay: If Cobb misses time(bicep injury) or is ineffective, who is going to pick up the slack? The TD hawk James Jones?

Minnesota: My question is who will get more receptions? Jennings or Patterson? What is the prize on this team going to be with Ponder throwing the football?

Carolina: Can LaFell hold this job? I thought he was losing to Louis Murphy at times last season. he has a couple of guys behind him that could gain ground. Seems to be going pretty late in drafts right now.

San Fran: Doesn't seem to be a lucrative spot anyways.

Seattle: Is Rice now the WR2 on this team or is that still Golden Tate who is now going int he 6th/7th rounds of a lot of drafts I see.

St Louis: Who is the WR1 here? Have we settled that first?

Arizona: Floyd right?

Lot of questions from me, more questions than answers I am afraid. Any WRs you are targeting after the 9th or 10th round?
NE: I am intrigued by Kembrell Thompkins. He is a riser and had a great Preseason Game 3.

Buffalo: I think that they will pass a lot and if Manuel is playing I think they will have a number of fantasy worthy players. Wood is worth rostering as your WR4.

NYJ: I don't want anyone on this team. Train wreck.

Pitt: Cotch has had so many chances that I just don't believe he can be viable anymore. I would rather gamble on the two younger players. If you can get the WR2 here he does have value.

CIN: It looks like Sanu is seizing this job over Jones. Jones had a fumble in the last game and Sanu is getting the most first team reps. I really like Sanu in PPR, otherwise I don't think I would want the WR2 or WR3 in this offense. Only PPR.

CLE: I don't really want to be part of the passing game there.

HOU: I think Hopkins will produce around 50-60 for 700-850 yards

Indy: Put your money on Ty Hilton. He did it last year. And he has been better than DHB this preseason. No reason to see him slipping. I like him.

Jax: I am really not interested in owning any of their receivers.

TENN: Excessive depth muddies the water and preseason injuries to key players muddies it more. My gut feeling is that the only guy who will produce this year in that receiving corps is Britt---IF he can stay healthy. I don't see why Nate Washington would improve on 2012, which was disappointing? The only thing that has changed is more competition and a year older. Wright is missing preseason and has an injury--not good. Hunter appears raw--he won't be worth owning but may cut into other players' production.

KC: I like Avery and think he will put up 60-800 and 6 TDs as a floor. He is healthy now and was the number one targeted player in the third preseason game. Baldwin is gone. He is an experienced vet and Alex Smith is a capable QB. He will be a consistent 4 or 5 receptions for 50-60 yards and will score every third game or so.

Oakland: avoid at all costs.

SD: who knows. Wait and watch. There may be value here but I don't think we know who it is yet.

Dallas: I like me some Austin

PHI: I am not a big believer in Riley Cooper. Show me again. This offense could be feast or famine too. No thanks.

WA: wait and watch. Someone will have value but it may be a guy we don't even know about yet.

CHI: I don't like anyone other than Marshall. Last year was the first time CHI has produced a WR1 who was fantasy worthy. I doubt that they can produce a WR2 also. Marshall and Forte are the men to own--and that's it.

Detroit: watch and wait. There will be value there but not sure yet who it is.

MN: Patterson is a good lottery ticket. I do think jennings will be the primary target but Patterson will get his share and he has shown me enough to think he will be effective, but streaky. Ponder is the problem here.

CAR: Meh. I don't see much here.

SF: Baldwin is actually a good lottery ticket. I would take him as one of your last players but I have a hunch he may play better with Kaepernick than he did with KC's schlep of QBs the last two years.

SEA: Golden Tate is a must have if you can get him as your WR4. I like him as a WR3 too for that matter. He will lead team in receptions and he could be a top 15 WR this season.

STL: No idea. Wait and watch though as someone will have to suck up Amendola's usage and Bradford can put up some fantasy points.

ARI: Floyd is the guy but I would temper enthusiasm. AZ lost their starting OG, their first round pick. Carson Palmer is an improvement but he is no stud and he is pretty immobile; I fear he will be pummeled and knocked out of action. I think I would avoid this offense except for Fitz.

I still think this is a great post. This is where it's at:

Which teams will provide opportunities in the passing game for the next great WW pickup at WR or TE.

Opportunities:

San Diego is clearly the open field winner right now, any of Royal, Brown, Allen, and Gates could emerge. Gates already has of course, he is hands down a great sleeper this year despite his rep. Floyd has been elminated. There must be 10 threads on this issue. I am personally picking Allen.

MIN: I love Cassel coming in, I think there is opportunity between Jennings and Simpson, and maybe Patterson ultimately. But jennings may have a chance to have some big games. That looked like his old GB stuff last week.

KC is intriguing - McGrath at TE and Avery at WR might have some good games when all is said and done. When in doubt go with players on good teams because they will at least have opportunities for targets and TDs.

TEN - Nate Washington, Kendall Wright both have chances to grow with Fitz in there. Unfortunately Locker was really coming on. What could have been.

Jets - I really liked Hill, too bad aboput the injury. He will be back though. Winslow is showing he still has something.

NE - wowza, where to turn. Thompkins has had two straight good games. Danny A looked just great game 1, then he turned to glass again. Now they've signed Collie. Edelman looked good here and there but insanely low YPC. Vereen got hurt but he might return and pick up where he left off in the pass game. Honestly there might be 8 names who can do something or nothing in this offense.

CLE - Gordon, Cameron, TD fever, catch it and pick up Hoyer because those points go to him too.

Oak - Denarious Moore, he's alive.

Not Happening:

I had thought Pittsburgh and Philly would provide opportunities too, they haven't.

- In PIT Sanders has disappointed, I'm finally done with him on a FF level. I thought he has had always had the superior talent and skills but it just has not happened in terms of becoming a WR1. Heath Miller has shown up but he will always just be ok, a great fun player to watch but not a FF dominator. Wheaton and Cotchery have not blown up. This is just looking like a bad team.

- PHI has had no one step in for Maclin and no TE emerges despite the fact that as a group they are heavily targeted. Personally I would love to see Demarious Johnson get in here, but it looks like he can't crack the lineup. What the magic of Avant is with Reid and Kelly both I have no idea.

St. Louis just looks like the same old Rams again, Cook included, and Givens seems to be doing less than last year. Sorry, Schotty Jr. has just never produced good offensive clubs beyond some good running teams.

TB - Dumpster fire with rook QB learning on the job and locker room division.

DET - The question was whether there woudl be anyone besides Bush & Calvin worth looking at, the answer is no. I still think Pettigrew might emerge with Burleson and Broyles out/slowed.

SEA - I am really starting to wonder about Wilson, Tate, Rice, and even Harvin. This is a defense oriented, ball control, running team, I don't see any sign of the free flowing offense that Russel was running last year. Maybe in good matchups like Jax, maybe possible shootouts like vs NO, he might serve as a QB1, I don't know. But even if Harvin comes back week 7-11, what is he coming back to FF-wise?

Users who are viewing this thread