What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Blip" or Sign of Things to Come (1 Viewer)

Giants will have one of the worst defenses this year.  I don’t recall the giants even getting close to day all game.  
 I think those are two separate discussions. Perhaps the Giants do have a poor defense. 

But it is mutually exclusive that the Cowboys wanted to  throw  more. 

Otherwise they would’ve simply run Ezekiel Elliott all day against that poor defense. 

Both of those things can be true at the same time. The Giants can have a bad defense, and the Cowboys can want to throw more. They certainly said that was the case all off-season, and then they came out week one and did that. Why would anyone doubt otherwise? 

The proof would seem to of been in the pudding. 

It was only one game, so a small sample size…  but it is what it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherwise they would’ve simply run Ezekiel Elliott all day against that poor defense.
HSG, I think you're incorrect.They weren't running Zeke all day after that holdout for anything.

And they're monitoring his work this week, too, if it's salient to this discussion. Probably more throws. 

HSG, I think you're incorrect.They weren't running Zeke all day after that holdout for anything.

And they're monitoring his work this week, too, if it's salient to this discussion. Probably more throws. 
They had Pollard too. 

We’ll see how the season plays out, but the cowboys said they’d be passing more & they came out passing more. 

I dunno if they’ll be passing quite this much, but I wouldn’t doubt it either. 

Time will tell. 

They had Pollard too. 

We’ll see how the season plays out, but the cowboys said they’d be passing more & they came out passing more. 

I dunno if they’ll be passing quite this much, but I wouldn’t doubt it either. 

Time will tell. 
Oh, I see your point now. I misunderstood it. Yes, if they announced it, sometimes teams really mean it. Sometimes even guys like sneaky Pete Carroll mean what they say, too. (See: Wilson, R., Metcalf, DK so far). If we see that continue for another few weeks, we'll know they're deadly serious.

Oh, I see your point now. I misunderstood it. Yes, if they announced it, sometimes teams really mean it. Sometimes even guys like sneaky Pete Carroll mean what they say, too. (See: Wilson, R., Metcalf, DK so far). If we see that continue for another few weeks, we'll know they're deadly serious.
 Exactly. Pete Carroll said he wanted to get Carson 50 receptions this year. Nobody believed it. What’s Carsons pace for receptions right now? 70?

Sometimes they tell the truth. 

The guy I'm grabbing where I can is... *gulp* ... Andy Dalton.

He looked great. New offense. Passing game looks awesome. And AJ Green will be back in a couple weeks. It sort of feels like this could be a pretty big year for him.

He looked great. New offense. Passing game looks awesome. And AJ Green will be back in a couple weeks. It sort of feels like this could be a pretty big year for him.
While I certainly wouldn’t rule a good year from Dalton, I think the week 1 takeaway is that Seattle has an awful secondary. I’m fully expecting Roethlisberger to have a huge bounce back week against them.

We’ve seen this before. 

Dalton is capable of big games. 

He is not a big gamer. 

I wouldn’t expect him to match last week’s numbers again this season. 

Which of these is an anomaly and which are likely to continue (within reason... wouldn't expect another 40-burger from Sammy)...

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - 50/50, qb1 not mvp

- Dak a top-5 QB - see above

- Cam Newton struggling - sign, just looks uncomfortable throwing and refuses to run

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - sign, he can't throw with his hips

- DEN Rbbc - sign

- LAR Rbbc - sign you should have seen coming

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - what do you mean by tier one?  Like nuk level?  Cause no, not in a million years.  Top 15 wr if he stays healthy

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)- both his tds were flukes, one on busted coverage and the other when the db misread the play and jumped the ball too early.  Last week was the game of his career.  Boyd is the player to own in that offense even when Green gets back.

- Marquise Brown house calls - sign, but like any big play you can't rely on them

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - once Sam stops kissing

- CLE offensive struggles - blip

- PIT offensive struggles - blip but they won't be as good as the last few years

- ATL offensive struggles - 50/50 won't be as bad, but they're not that good

Which of these is an anomaly and which are likely to continue (within reason... wouldn't expect another 40-burger from Sammy)...

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger...Miami is skewing the curve here

- Dak a top-5 QB...Greg Cosell said he could not make a determination as the NYG were simply awful on defense. 

- Cam Newton struggling...Yep

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out)...Is anyone really waiting or holding their breath on this issue? He clearly isn't as good as others in his draft class

- DEN RBBC...Elway needs to go

- LAR RBBC...Gurley had over 3 quarters of the offensive snaps.

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns)...Never!

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)...12 targets week 1 was no fluke. Not sure why folks are sold on Boyd being a must start

- Marquise Brown house calls...See Lamar Jackson

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside)...until Darnold kissed a toad

- CLE offensive struggles...yep

- PIT offensive struggles...yep

- ATL offensive struggles...they will reset the board this weekend at home vs Philly
Thanks You, great theme for a thread. 

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)...12 targets week 1 was no fluke. Not sure why folks are sold on Boyd being a must start. 
Boyd has a safer floor and track record.

I think they're both must start right now. JMO I've been looking at weekly rankings and I see some with Ross out of the top 50 WR. Unless it's due to game flow, I simply can't see it. Taylor has designed plays for Ross. I think many are casting him off as only being used deep. Definitely wasn't the case week 1. I don't think SF has a DB that's going to be able to stay with Ross unless they're able to get their hands on him.

Boyd has a safer floor and track record.

I think they're both must start right now. JMO I've been looking at weekly rankings and I see some with Ross out of the top 50 WR. Unless it's due to game flow, I simply can't see it. Taylor has designed plays for Ross. I think many are casting him off as only being used deep. Definitely wasn't the case week 1.
Agree, I'm just saying when AJ returns, maybe Boyd takes a slight hit vs Ross. I think this kid has a real game plan with the coach and when AJ gets back he will have his role in this offense. I thought Cinci looked good last week in Seattle but the mainstream media is slow to report because quite frankly the majority of these pundits on the TV don't actually watch all these games but somehow want to weigh in, it's frightening. 

We’ve seen this before. 

Dalton is capable of big games. 

He is not a big gamer. 

I wouldn’t expect him to match last week’s numbers again this season. 
Agreed. That’s why I included the “gulp.”

But, new coach, great stats game one without Green, may add up to some pretty good numbers this year.

But it may not too...

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger THING THAT'S ALREADY HERE

- Dak a top-5 QB NOT A BLIP, HE IS RISING, BUT NOT TOP5

- Cam Newton struggling THING THAT'S ALREADY HERE

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) BLIP - not sure he'll completely bust, but I don't think he'll bust. At this rate he might develop into above average started.

- DEN RBBC THING TO COME - love Lindsay, I don't think anything can keep the guy down, but the team seems really committed to have their draft investment in Freeman pay out, and Freeman looks better than last year

- LAR RBBC ALREADY HAPPENING

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) THING TO COME -- he's gaining confidence and is in the right system for him where he doesn't have to carry the full load (when Hill is back)

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) BLIP - Boyd is still there and pretty good.

- Marquise Brown house calls BLIP - should be a solid flex but I think he might be more boom/bust than reliable break out. We'l see

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) ALREADY HAPPENING -- can see a huge weekend coming up.

- CLE offensive struggles BLIP - 1st week jitters, this team will settle in on both sides of the ball

- PIT offensive struggles BLIP -- too much talent, though I think they will not be the traditionally dangerous winning team they have been in the past

- ATL offensive struggles BLIP -- although this is the one I am most unsure of.

Agree, I'm just saying when AJ returns, maybe Boyd takes a slight hit vs Ross. I think this kid has a real game plan with the coach and when AJ gets back he will have his role in this offense. I thought Cinci looked good last week in Seattle but the mainstream media is slow to report because quite frankly the majority of these pundits on the TV don't actually watch all these games but somehow want to weigh in, it's frightening. 
Doesn't Boyd play mainly out of the slot when AJ is playing?  I would think AJ and Ross would cannibalize each other's targets as the outside receivers, and the fact that Boyd would still be in there on 2 WR sets.  It also means Boyd will see less of the top CB coverage.  I think Boyd is better for fantasy purposes with AJ there.

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - I think he’s a QB1...but he’d have to be unprecedented to enter Fantasy MVP convo.

- Dak a top-5 QB - Again, I think he’ll be a QB1...but that team/offense I think still revolves around Zeke.

- Cam Newton struggling - Thursday was not encouraging.  I think it’s more troubling if injuries are not the cause here.

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - The reports out of CHI have firmly been in ‘I like you as a friend’ territory.

- DEN RBBC - Believe it.

- LAR RBBC - Tap the brakes...LAR is going to wade into the Gurley pool in 2019.  Once they determine the waters nice, I can see his workload increasing.

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - Not after...but back to being very useful.

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) - No.

- Marquise Brown house calls - Another tap the brakes situation...MIA players even indicated coaches didn’t adjust.  Feel he’s a boom/bust play at this point with a lot of bust exposure week-to-week.

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - Yes...even with Darnold out.  Rigor Mortis only sets in for Robby Anderson In Darnold’s absence.

- CLE offensive struggles - That OL will cause more inconsistency than forecasted, but they’ll still be productive.

- PIT offensive struggles - There is a downside to life after AB.

- ATL offensive struggles - They right the ship

Fyi, gurley played 70% of the snaps last week. So perhaps give it a couple more weeks before you lower the casket on his fantasy relevance

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - the blip is what he did in Miami   However I do think he will be a very productive qb for at least 3-4 years in the nfl until his body breaks down and can’t run as well anymore   I don’t think he will be mvp but I do think he will be a top 7 QB all season   

- Dak a top-5 QB - I’m leaning yes here   Just watching him last Sunday   I knownit was a bad giants defense but man   He was surgical   Best I’ve ever seen him play and I’ve seen him play well vs the giants before   I think he has taken his play to next level and top 5 not a stretch   

- Cam Newton struggling - definitely  he doesn’t look right   His deep balls were underthrown all night on Thursday   Samuel could have had an easy long td if cam didn’t under throw him   And his trend of not running from last season has crept into the first 2 games of this season   Either something’s not right with his ankle, shoulder, or turner and Rivera are trying to preserve his health by making him a pocket passer  problem is he’s not a great pocket passer   So yeah I see him being not the cam we all know and love all season   Hope including wrong   

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - worried about him BUT it’s stikl too early to say on the cusp of bust    I think he will be better in week 2 and beyond

- DEN RBBC - this is real   As long as Lindsay and freeman are both healthy and productive they will split all season  

- LAR RBBC - yes  they want to preserve gurley for playoffs. He will still be a top 10 rb but on less touches    

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - nope not buying that 

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) -   yes!  This is why they spend that high draft capital on him   He will be the Brandon cooks role in Zach Taylor’s offense even after greens return and it might even help him more   The real winner here?  Andy dalton   I think dalton is a top 10  QBs ROS and maybe higher after green returns  

- Marquise Brown house calls - blip.  He will have a few more of those but he played Miami and only had 4 targets  unsustainable production.  Great young player  bright future   Probably 7-8 total tds this year  

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - not sure if wr2 but def a slot machine   Dependable weekly starter in ppr  

- CLE offensive struggles - blip. They will right the ship starting tomorrow   

- PIT offensive struggles - blip.  NE just has their #.  

- ATL offensive struggles - blip.  

I have a hard time believing that Dalton will be a top 10. I’m thinking back to his stats over the last three years and they’ll lean to the run once Mixon is back. Could be wrong though!

I’m not reading anything into Lamar’s performance against Miami.  Still don’t believe he is an elite passer.  

How is LAR a committee?   Gurley got three quarters of the snaps.  

Newton is terrible.  

Newton is terrible.  
I went back & forth on that so many times this off-season. Thought maybe he’d fallen too far as an overcorrection. I’d heard his deep ball was back. 

I decided to avoid. Glad I did. Reports of deep ball being back appear to have been wildly exaggerated. 

Honestly if Winston & Cam switched teams/jerseys last night I’m not sure I could tell them apart from a play standpoint. 

I went back & forth on that so many times this off-season. Thought maybe he’d fallen too far as an overcorrection. I’d heard his deep ball was back. 

I decided to avoid. Glad I did. Reports of deep ball being back appear to have been wildly exaggerated. 

Honestly if Winston & Cam switched teams/jerseys last night I’m not sure I could tell them apart from a play standpoint. 
Honestly Winston was quite a bit better. They say Newton isn't hurt, but if he isn't, than they are using him as poorly as possible. If they aren't going to allow him to run, or even move the pocket, they may as well just throw Grier in there. 

Poor Curtis Samuel could have had 200+ yards and 2 TD's on Thursday with any accuracy from the QB. Everybody was open all game, and Cam did almost nothing. Then the adjustment Norv made was giving Newton another blocker(not the worst idea) which ended up being McCaffrey(a terrible idea)

-- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)

- Marquise Brown house calls

- PIT offensive struggles

- ATL offensive struggles
Primary Weapon if Green is close to normal self? Likely blip. He'll definitely be a weapon going forward IMO. Must start in my opinion until at least until Green gets back. Contract year, you just can't predict Bengals or Green's intentions.

Hollywooooooood - signs of things to come. Double digit TDs and outside shot of leading league if he can stay healthy and be on the field. He's gonna absolutely roast defenders on a few play action passes with Jackson this season. It's not gonna be "just the Dolphins". JMO It's gonna be damn near impossible to try to stop both Lamar's threat of running and Hollywood 

PIT will be fine at home offensively

ATL will be fine at home offensively.

Hollywooooooood - signs of things to come. Double digit TDs and outside shot of leading league if he can stay healthy and be on the field. He's gonna absolutely roast defenders on a few play action passes with Jackson this season. It's not gonna be "just the Dolphins". JMO It's gonna be damn near impossible to try to stop both Lamar's threat of running and Hollywood 

PIT will be fine at home offensively

ATL will be fine at home offensively.
That's taking the Brown insanity to Insanity Level +1.

So now he's Randy Moss and Lamar is Randall Cunningham? Seriously?

Kid looks like a player but... really?

I think people have a very inflated opinion of the Seahawks pass defense. Other than Booby Wagner, they have the worst back 7 in the NFL. Just terrible CB's and S's, and mediocre LB's beyond Wagner. I think Cincy might have just had the best matchup they'll have all year, and if I had him, I'd be trying my best to deal John Ross right now, if people are treating as anything more than a WR4/5.

On the other hand, I think the Steelers might be the easiest bounce back call in some time, as I think they ave a FAR better offense than the Bengals, and are now playing that same Seahawks team at home. Fully expecting a top-5 week from both Big Ben and JuJu, and likely another pass catcher has a big game, though that carries more uncertainty as to whom it will be. My gut says Washington hits a deep ball or 2, but it could just as easily be McDonald, or even Johnson breaking out. 

Users who are viewing this thread