What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BOSTON sports - How did we ever get so (2 Viewers)

Pats haven't won anything in six years. The wells about dry on that one.
I don't know, I think Foxborough as a pretty good team there in the Pats. But what does this have to do with Boston? :confused:
WAT??
Does Minnesota still have claim to the Lakers after they packed their bags and changed their name? Come on, they left 40 years ago, give it up.
Well, I guess New York can't claim the Giants or Jets, not even in the same state... How bout the Dallas Cowboys, strike them, stadium is in Arlington. I guess the original poster could say MASSACHUSETTS sports but it is all the same meaning. Boston is Massachusetts. Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Titletown USA.
They at least kept their same name. The Patriots apparently were so ashamed about being associated with Boston they even changed their name. :shrug:

I don't know, I think Foxborough as a pretty good team there in the Pats. But what does this have to do with Boston? :confused:
WAT??
Does Minnesota still have claim to the Lakers after they packed their bags and changed their name? Come on, they left 40 years ago, give it up.
Well, I guess New York can't claim the Giants or Jets, not even in the same state... How bout the Dallas Cowboys, strike them, stadium is in Arlington. I guess the original poster could say MASSACHUSETTS sports but it is all the same meaning. Boston is Massachusetts. Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Titletown USA.
Patriots - 52 years, 3 titles, 42 year droughtRed Sox - 110 years, 7 titles, 86 year droughtBruins - 87 years, 5 titles, 28 and 39 year droughtsTitletowm my ###.

Good to see the Bs in a final because, at its heart, Boston is a baseball/summah, hawckey/winnah town.

Growing up there in the 60s, 85% of our football fans rooted for the Giants, Boston College was bigger than the Patriots, when discussing the game with outsiders the stock quote was "I'm from Boston - we dont have professional football" and i had the weird fortune to see them play at 4 different fields (including Fenway) before they moved out of town - Bostonians are just lucky the Giants lobbied the league against the Pats moving to Hartford cuz they'd be there if not for that. So, as happy as i am for recent Pats' success, football is anything but part of Beantown's cultural DNA.

What may surprise is that the pre-Orr Bruins - serial cellardwellers for 20 yrs - outsold Auerbach's dynasty Celts. When we moved out to the burbs in '66, i useta take the train back to Jamaica Plain regularly and i could step off the El at North Station to take the train to Salem, peek my head into the Gaahden on Celts' nights and get good loge seats for next to nothing, but the Bruins were always sold out. When Numbah Fowah & Bucyk & Esposito came along, Bruin's tickets were the hardest get i've ever seen.

So, go Bs - beat dem lousy Canucks (first time i've said that where it wasnt a slur)! I'll crack a 'Gansett and cheeyah, even though i dont know a single one of the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriots - 52 years, 3 titles, 42 year droughtRed Sox - 110 years, 7 titles, 86 year droughtBruins - 87 years, 5 titles, 28 and 39 year droughtsTitletowm my ###.
Patriots - 5th most all time.Red Sox - 4th most.Bruins - 4th most.Celtics - most.Seems pretty good in spite of the droughts. :shrug:

Football is because of cheating and the luck of having a sixth round quarterback become a top ten in NFL history.

Baseball is because of having a top three payroll in all of baseball. With that in mind, the Sox are actually huge underacheivers. One championship?? That's horrible.

Basketball is because they got a great core of three guys years back and have made teh most of it. That run is over, however. They looked ancient against the Heat.

Hockey is because...I have no idea. It's hockey.

Football is because of cheating and the luck of having a sixth round quarterback become a top ten in NFL history.Baseball is because of having a top three payroll in all of baseball. With that in mind, the Sox are actually huge underacheivers. One championship?? That's horrible.Basketball is because they got a great core of three guys years back and have made teh most of it. That run is over, however. They looked ancient against the Heat.Hockey is because...I have no idea. It's hockey.
Might want to check your math on the baseball thing

Football is because of cheating and the luck of having a sixth round quarterback become a top ten in NFL history.Baseball is because of having a top three payroll in all of baseball. With that in mind, the Sox are actually huge underacheivers. One championship?? That's horrible.Basketball is because they got a great core of three guys years back and have made teh most of it. That run is over, however. They looked ancient against the Heat.Hockey is because...I have no idea. It's hockey.
You arguing that they aren't huge failures relative to their salary-rank over the last twenty years?

You arguing that they aren't huge failures relative to their salary-rank over the last twenty years?
I was talking about his one championship comment

WAT??
:lmao:Your jealousy is palpable, and pathetic.I'd by you a wittle wowipop if I could to help ease your pain.

This thread is funny :lmao:

They're jumping in the boat too fast for the mass-holes to keep up :popcorn:

Ohhh. List their championships. And the years.

You actually can't figure this out on your own? Wait... looking at your previous post I guess not.

But to answer the question, Boston got to be good amazing by good breeding, better genes, being smarter, better looking and stronger/tougher than everyone else.

Take the Revolutionary and Civil wars for example. The weaklings over the pond and down south can't match wits let alone arms with us up here.

It's not even really fair.

:lmao:Are you actually this stupid or is it shtick?

But to answer the question, Boston got to be good amazing by good breeding, better genes, being smarter, better looking and stronger/tougher than everyone else.Take the Revolutionary and Civil wars for example. The weaklings over the pond and down south can't match wits let alone arms with us up here.It's not even really fair.
:goodposting: And the superior among those superior settled in the Merrimack Valley.

But to answer the question, Boston got to be good amazing by good breeding, better genes, being smarter, better looking and stronger/tougher than everyone else.Take the Revolutionary and Civil wars for example. The weaklings over the pond and down south can't match wits let alone arms with us up here.It's not even really fair.
:goodposting: And the superior among those superior settled in the Merrimack Valley.
Alas, I'm a transplant from the lesser, 7 hills of central mass, but you make a compelling argument that I find difficult to refute.

The Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007. Which one doesn't count?
Oh, two? I thought only one. Still a dollar for dollar failure. They've had huge payrolls for twenty years or more.
I thought the 07 team was a pretty decent home grown bunch. Ellsbury, Youklis, Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon. Beckett and Lowell were traded for Hanley Ramirez. Ortiz had some decent years in Minnesota...but he wasn't exactly a huge FA signing. Manny was big...and the Schilling trade was a bit of a dump off on Arizona's part (has there been a player who has been part of more lop-sided trades than Schilling???) * July 29, 1988: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with Brady Anderson to the Baltimore Orioles for Mike Boddicker. * January 10, 1991: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles with Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to the Houston Astros for Glenn Davis. * April 2, 1992: Traded by the Houston Astros to the Philadelphia Phillies for Jason Grimsley. * July 26, 2000: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Omar Daal, Nelson Figueroa, Travis Lee and Vicente Padilla. * November 28, 2003: Traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Boston Red Sox for Michael Goss (minors), Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Jorge de la Rosa.but I think for the most part that was a legit, home grown team.

The Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007. Which one doesn't count?
Oh, two? I thought only one. Still a dollar for dollar failure. They've had huge payrolls for twenty years or more.
I thought the 07 team was a pretty decent home grown bunch. Ellsbury, Youklis, Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon. Beckett and Lowell were traded for Hanley Ramirez. Ortiz had some decent years in Minnesota...but he wasn't exactly a huge FA signing. Manny was big...and the Schilling trade was a bit of a dump off on Arizona's part (has there been a player who has been part of more lop-sided trades than Schilling???) * July 29, 1988: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with Brady Anderson to the Baltimore Orioles for Mike Boddicker. * January 10, 1991: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles with Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to the Houston Astros for Glenn Davis. * April 2, 1992: Traded by the Houston Astros to the Philadelphia Phillies for Jason Grimsley. * July 26, 2000: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Omar Daal, Nelson Figueroa, Travis Lee and Vicente Padilla. * November 28, 2003: Traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Boston Red Sox for Michael Goss (minors), Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Jorge de la Rosa.but I think for the most part that was a legit, home grown team.
Another fun fact, the Sox haven't been within 40M of the Yankees payroll since 2002.

WAT??
:lmao:Your jealousy is palpable, and pathetic.I'd by you a wittle wowipop if I could to help ease your pain.
Im hardly jealous. But calling Boston Titletown is patently ridiculous.By the way:Total titles of the Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins = 32Total titles of the baseball teams in NYC = 36 Boston teams have had a nice run recently, but hardly enough to erase the past.

I ranked all the major sports cities by their number of championships based on the size of the league and the years they participated. So for instance just taking the Saints, they would get 32 points for the year they won the super bowl but then you would divide it by the 44 years they have played for a score of 0.727. You sum up points for all their major championships in the numerator and divide by the total number of years of all their franchises and come up with an index. For the history of the cities the index is below. Now you could cherry pick the years and Boston would come up the winner, but this is the entire history.

The Jon_mx Index is the ultimate ranking of cities for major professional sports championships.

1. New York 1.73

2. Los Angeles 1.72

3. Pittsburgh 1.51

4. Boston 1.49

5. Oakland 1.41

6. San Fran 1.35

7. Miami 1.33

8. New Jersey 1.31

9. Baltimore 1.29

10. Dallas 1.21

11. Detroit 1.12

12. Anaheim 0.98

13. Chicago 0.96

14. Tampa Bay 0.95

15. Toronto 0.95

16. Denver 0.88

Note: I pulled a Tim.

I was going to start another thread about this, but seems relevant enough to put here. I was thinking that the four leagues should get together and come up with some kind of "slaughter rule" to promote more parity. Something like you win X amount of championships in one city over a certain period, you have to play just for "fun" for a few years to give other cities/regions a chance to win. It would suck for my Boston teams, but fair is fair.

Thoughts?

But to answer the question, Boston got to be good amazing by good breeding, better genes, being smarter, better looking and stronger/tougher than everyone else.

Take the Revolutionary and Civil wars for example. The weaklings over the pond and down south can't match wits let alone arms with us up here.

Truth. Smartest state in the US. Fact.

:lmao:Lowell-Lawrence-Haverhill are in the MV'nuff said

:lmao:Lowell-Lawrence-Haverhill are in the MV'nuff said
Why stop there? The Valley also has the likes of Dracut and Methuen. Andover should secede in protest of the crap around them.EDIT: Bill Rica makes for a good message board name, though.

Boston teams have had a nice run recently, but hardly enough to erase the past.
But isn't that the point of the thread? Jokes aside, I don't think anyone can deny that Boston has had an incredible run in the major sports since 2001. 6 titles (and possibly 7 here in a few weeks) in the four major sports is pretty remarkable. And it could already be 8 had the Samuel not dropped the INT at the end of the NE/NYG Super Bowl, and if the refs hadn't taken over the 4th quarter of last year's Boston/LAL Game 7. Granted, you could flip it around and say that the 2001 Patriots (Tuck Rule and getting every break imaginable in the Super Bowl) and 2004 Red Sox (the improbable comeback over the Yankees) were very lucky to win their titles, but even still, that doesn't take away from how fortunate Boston fans have been over the last decade plus. Many of them are probably spoiled now (as well as obnoxious about it), especially young kids in Boston who are probably gonna grow up now thinking one of their favorite teams is gonna win a championship every other year, but you can't deny that they have a lot of success since the turn of the century.

:lmao: Lowell-Lawrence-Haverhill are in the MV

'nuff said
#18 most dangerous city in the USA.Don't act like you're not impressed.

You make good points, but you're still the only good thing to come out of Mass.

You make good points, but you're still the only good thing to come out of Mass.
:lmao: :wub:

For as many good schools there are in the state, Mass sure has a disproportionately high number of butt-face idiots. I guess the graduates move back to better states to start their lives and careers.

This thread is all the evidence you need to become a Canuck fan. A sign of the apocalypse is Boston winning 4 major championships in a 10 year span. Their fans will become incorrigable, taking obnoxious to levels completely unseen by humanity. ESPN will create ESPN B dedicated entriely to Boston area sports. Douchebags like MAtt Damon, Ben Afleck and Jimmy Fallon will never stop talking about the greatness that is Boston sports. The world will end if Boston wins a Stanley Cup this year. Rapture can only be stopped by a Canadian Sports franchise. God help us. God help us all!

Users who are viewing this thread