What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boyhood - the film that took 12 years to make (1 Viewer)

"I had to get a haircut today because my dad thought my hair looked ridiculous." Oooooh! I can work with that. I will make it a buzz cut. OMG this is going to be great, because I can actually give him a buzz and then he can grow it out and we can see real hair next time because we wont see him until a year later. I hate when they use fake hair in hollywood because it is just so obvious on camera.
it's that obvious to you...

How hard was it to convince Coltrane to get his hair cut? Did he have to clear his piercings with Linklater?

Coltrane asked Linklater for permission before making cosmetic changes, including haircuts and piercings, and Vulture reports that Linklater “never objected.” When it came to the haircut scene, there was a disagreement between Coltrane and a producer, but it was over whether Coltrane would grow his hair long in the first place. He eventually did, of course, and he describes his sadness in the haircutting scene as a feat of acting: “That look of despair,” he says, “that was put on.” He was glad to be rid of the long hair.
What about all of your hair cuts? Was Mason’s hair inspired by your own?

Those were all my haircuts. The only time they cut my hair was when they shaved it. Other than that they let me do what I wanted. Even later on a lot of the clothes are mine. It’s really ####### weird. [Laughs] I don’t know if they planned that, but there were a lot of days [Linklater] would be like, ‘You should just wear that,’ whatever I was wearing when I came to pick out a costume. The costume designer’s like, ‘What the ####, why am I here?’ So that’s one of the weirdest things to me, is just towards the end how similar, how the character is kind of me at a certain point. It’s also definitely not. There are very distinct differences. I definitely was acting, but I’m also expressing so much of myself that it’s very surreal.
I don't think you understood my post. I hope you didn't waste a lot of time searching for those quotes.

:shrug:

I loved it. but it's nothing more than a concept, character development and some melodrama. And Linklater does all three of those things incredibly well.

For the people that didn't like this- what do you think of the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight movies?

I'm surprised how polarizing this movie seems to be here. I thought it was decent but in many ways it wasn't very good. I didn't find it emotional or thought provoking. The characters were cliched and showed little to no growth. At times it dragged.

Interesting concept which, IMO, saved the film but the execution was certainly flawed. That said, I'm surprised how people found it terrible. It worked OK as a family drama and had several funny moments, especially from Hawke. That bowling alley talk about safe sex was great!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised how polarizing this movie seems to be here. I thought it was decent but in many ways it wasn't very good. I didn't find it emotional or thought provoking. The characters were cliched and showed little to no growth. At times it dragged.

Interesting concept which, IMO, saved the film but the execution was certainly flawed. That said, I'm surprised how people found it terrible. It worked OK as a family drama and had several funny moments, especially from Hawke. That bowling alley talk about safe sex was great!
This is where I am almost word for word.

"I had to get a haircut today because my dad thought my hair looked ridiculous." Oooooh! I can work with that. I will make it a buzz cut. OMG this is going to be great, because I can actually give him a buzz and then he can grow it out and we can see real hair next time because we wont see him until a year later. I hate when they use fake hair in hollywood because it is just so obvious on camera.
it's that obvious to you...

How hard was it to convince Coltrane to get his hair cut? Did he have to clear his piercings with Linklater?

Coltrane asked Linklater for permission before making cosmetic changes, including haircuts and piercings, and Vulture reports that Linklater “never objected.” When it came to the haircut scene, there was a disagreement between Coltrane and a producer, but it was over whether Coltrane would grow his hair long in the first place. He eventually did, of course, and he describes his sadness in the haircutting scene as a feat of acting: “That look of despair,” he says, “that was put on.” He was glad to be rid of the long hair.
What about all of your hair cuts? Was Mason’s hair inspired by your own?

Those were all my haircuts. The only time they cut my hair was when they shaved it. Other than that they let me do what I wanted. Even later on a lot of the clothes are mine. It’s really ####### weird. [Laughs] I don’t know if they planned that, but there were a lot of days [Linklater] would be like, ‘You should just wear that,’ whatever I was wearing when I came to pick out a costume. The costume designer’s like, ‘What the ####, why am I here?’ So that’s one of the weirdest things to me, is just towards the end how similar, how the character is kind of me at a certain point. It’s also definitely not. There are very distinct differences. I definitely was acting, but I’m also expressing so much of myself that it’s very surreal.
I don't think you understood my post. I hope you didn't waste a lot of time searching for those quotes.
I must have misunderstood you too. I thought you were suggesting that the haircutting scene was done using fake hair. If you would stop making fun of the movie, you would be easier to understand. What do you get out of making fun of it, and why say things like this:

I think people think they are supposed to like this groundbreaking film.
That's insulting to people who liked the film. If you don't like the film that is fine, but I don't get your need to act like a juvenile over people liking it.

I thought this movie was terrific. Even though it was a "gimick" idea, to pull it off and get some good solid performances from the kids is really fascinating to watch unfurl during the span of the movie. Watching them age as the real people they are as oppsed to stunt acting added another level of depth to these characters that took me to another level while I was viewing.

Linklater really hit a home run here and I thought it was one of the best films I saw all year.

I think in many ways the film is a piece of art, as are many of the critically acclaimed dramatic/noteworthy movies.

And there a lot of people, myself included, that really aren't entertained or able to appreciate said art.

For instance I thought the 12 year concept of watching the brother and sister was cool, but the "real life" aspect of the disjointed plot made for a clunky movie to me that i just wanted to end. Now, to the director's credit, I'm not sure what i would have done differently to make it work.

Either way.. for what it's worth the more critically acclaimed a movie is, the less likely I am to probably enjoy it. My life and my job are already pretty serious as it is... when i goto watch a movie or a TV show I just want to either laugh, or for it to be mindless fun like a Bond movie or a comic book movie.

And I think that's where the dividing line is... and it's a thing for almost any genre of things in life from decor, clothing, food, music, etc, etc.

I think in many ways the film is a piece of art, as are many of the critically acclaimed dramatic/noteworthy movies.

And there a lot of people, myself included, that really aren't entertained or able to appreciate said art.

For instance I thought the 12 year concept of watching the brother and sister was cool, but the "real life" aspect of the disjointed plot made for a clunky movie to me that i just wanted to end. Now, to the director's credit, I'm not sure what i would have done differently to make it work.

Either way.. for what it's worth the more critically acclaimed a movie is, the less likely I am to probably enjoy it. My life and my job are already pretty serious as it is... when i goto watch a movie or a TV show I just want to either laugh, or for it to be mindless fun like a Bond movie or a comic book movie.

And I think that's where the dividing line is... and it's a thing for almost any genre of things in life from decor, clothing, food, music, etc, etc.
my wife has a similar approach to movies- mindless escapism over serious or thought-provoking "art". I'm the opposite :kicksrock:

This is where I am almost word for word.
Agree. I'd say it was good and worth watching but not overwhelming. Perhaps if some of the scenarios hit home more I'd have liked it more? 3.5 out of 5.

That's insulting to people who liked the film. If you don't like the film that is fine, but I don't get your need to act like a juvenile over people liking it.
You act as if people have never laughed at a joke they didn't actually get. As if people never bought a shirt they didn't actually like because they thought it was in style.

You telling me people that tight rolled their jeans actually liked the way that looked? And still like the way it looks?

Taste is heavily influenced by trends and the opinion of others. Always has been, always will be. I happen to believe this film falls into that exact category. It is hip and trendy and people like it. If you are insulted by that, oh well.

You act as if people have never laughed at a joke they didn't actually get. As if people never bought a shirt they didn't actually like because they thought it was in style.

You telling me people that tight rolled their jeans actually liked the way that looked? And still like the way it looks?

Taste is heavily influenced by trends and the opinion of others. Always has been, always will be. I happen to believe this film falls into that exact category. It is hip and trendy and people like it. If you are insulted by that, oh well.
so you're point is that the people only follow trends and can't think for themselves. gotcha. good theory.

Watched this on a plane. Perfect movie to fall asleep to. Would probably have done the same thing had I been in a theater.

El Floppo said:
parasaurolophus said:
drfeelgood said:

so you're point is that the people only follow trends and can't think for themselves. gotcha. good theory.
Obviously not, since a bunch of people in this thread alone didn't like the movie or were pretty neutral on it.

El Floppo said:
parasaurolophus said:
drfeelgood said:

Obviously not, since a bunch of people in this thread alone didn't like the movie or were pretty neutral on it.
ahhh... gotcha. good theory.

Love how the ffa consensus is the complete opposite of the almost unanimous critic consensus that it's a great movie.
A couple of shoot-outs and a couple of gratuitous boob shots, and I'm sure the consensus would shift.
:lol: I think you're right, zam.

I enjoyed the movie. I liked that Linklater didn't make the kids be broken children of divorce, and that the parents didn't bad mouth the other to the kids. Both parents had their flaws, but they loved their kids, and the kids loved and accepted their parents for who they were. I liked watching the family evolve through the years. I thought it was realistic.
I was surprised how few scenes Hawke and Arquette had together and there's only one scene of them fighting and that is from the kid's POV and we don't hear anything they're saying. I thought it was very smart of Linklater to avoid the cliches that we so often see in films about divorce. I also liked how the divorce wasn't a driving element in the film. It was something that happened and everyone moved on from it and started new lives (in Arquette's character's case, several lives).

I liked how there wasn't a great big point to be found at the end of the film. The final scene of how the characters were in the moment now seemed to be exactly what the film was showing us all along. Everything didn't end happily ever after. Life just continued and all that mattered was being in the moment now.

Thought it was a terrific film and an amazing filmmaking achievement. Linklater has to be a lock to win the Best Director Oscar.

Watched this last night with the wife. Was a decent movie, but seemed to drag at times and was a little long for my liking, but I guess that mirrors life too.

I liked how there wasn't a great big point to be found at the end of the film. The final scene of how the characters were in the moment now seemed to be exactly what the film was showing us all along. Everything didn't end happily ever after. Life just continued and all that mattered was being in the moment now.
Your comment reminded me of Dazed and Confused and is equally applicable.

Your comment reminded me of Dazed and Confused and is equally applicable.
I agree.

Watched this last night with the wife. Was a decent movie, but seemed to drag at times and was a little long for my liking, but I guess that mirrors life too.
It's supposed to be a "honest" movie about life but I had a lot more drama growing up.

I liked it. It was a look at boyhood - growing up and coming of age and into your own. It didn't advertise to be anything else. I watched it with my wife and mom. They kept asking me "do boys really talk like that" Etc. What was great in my opinion was that it wasn't some after school special or "movie" really. When the boys are throwing the saw blades, my mom and wife were saying they needed to look away, assuming somebody was getting hurt. Guess what, this wasn't written like a cliche film. Nobody got hurt. Boys do dumb #### like that all the time without losing a limb.

Finally saw this, I get the gimmick of tracking the kids (or families) life for a decade or so but overall it was just kindof meh.

cstu said:
pantherclub said:
Finally saw this, I get the gimmick of tracking the kids (or families) life for a decade or so but overall it was just kindof meh.
YUUUUGGGE potential, didn't pan out. Hope someone tries again.
Yeah it was kindof like, uh okay, kid is growing up, no major antagonist, he was just kindof there. Just bleh

cstu said:
pantherclub said:
Yeah it was kindof like, uh okay, kid is growing up, no major antagonist, he was just kindof there. Just bleh
Felt the same. I really like coming of age fiction, and I liked the concept, but felt for most of the time I was waiting for something to happen.

Felt the same. I really like coming of age fiction, and I liked the concept, but felt for most of the time I was waiting for something to happen.
My favorite movie of 2014 was not Boyhood or Birdman. I liked Grand Budapest Hotel more and I thought Ralph Fennes was great in it.

Users who are viewing this thread