What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Building the Perfect Fantasy Football League - Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Should there be decimal scoring?

• Yes

Votes: 113 89.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.0%

• Total voters

Keith R

The Don
This is the latest in a series I will conduct in order to determine the "perfect" FFL experience. The results early polls will help guide future polls. Please vote as to how your perfect league would look.

Also feel free to post suggestions for future poll questions. (It is obvious what some of the future questions will be but there may be other issues that should be noted).

Based on the results of the Part 1 thread, (which can be found at http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681521#entry15559548 ), our perfect fantasy football league boasts the following;

12 FFL teams

PPR Scoring

Team Defenses / Special Teams

Auction

You may wish to keep those parameters in mind when voting.

ETA - Now that voting is over, you can find the next thread at http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681769#entry15579604

Last edited by a moderator:
Flex should be defined. If flex can be QB in addition to other positions (a.k.a. superflex), it affects the QB question.

I see there is already a No vote for decimal scoring. I can't fathom the reasoning behind not using decimal scoring, so perhaps those who vote against it can post their reasoning.

I am not expecting QBs to be eligible for flex. Edited poll to clarify.

I like head-to-head however I would be open to joining a league where the top half earn a victory for the week.

I also think defensive scoring needs to be adjusted to include forced punts and turnover on downs.

1 QB

Head to Head

Multiple flex

Decimal scoring

I'm a big believer in letting a team build its own route to victory. Multiple flex brings this choice about, as opposed to just having flat out more WR positions for example. If someone is better at picking out WR talent, give that ability credence through roster variability. Same goes for RB depth. QB is a little different because its often just a case of viable volume going to first in best dressed.

Head to head actually makes fantasy football fun. Never connected with total points leagues, just end up coming across with competing with myself.

Don't get the hate on the 2 QB start leagues --- makes for a much more strategic and balanced league. A 1-QB start league, especially this year, gives very little VBD, to the point where it is almost pointless to even have the position. I mean, geez, we are looking at Matt Stafford/Russell Wilson at QB10 -- outside of Rodgers and Brees, are they really going to score much different than QB3?...But, open up the roster to 2 QB starters and all of sudden you are looking at Bradford/Cutler/Freeman as your low-end starter...

EDIT: Taking a look at current QB ADP on MFL ( http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2013/adp?COUNT=30&POS=QB&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=-1&IS_PPR=-1&IS_KEEPER=0&IS_MOCK=-1&TIME=) :

1) Rodgers

2) Brees

3) Newton

4) Brady

5) Kaepernick

6) Luck

7) Matt Ryan

8) P-Manning

9) RGIII

10) Stafford

11) Wilson

12) Romo

--- You can easily make the case for any of those players finishing in the Top 5.

Don't get the hate on the 2 QB start leagues --- makes for a much more strategic and balanced league. A 1-QB start league, especially this year, gives very little VBD, to the point where it is almost pointless to even have the position. I mean, geez, we are looking at Matt Stafford/Russell Wilson at QB10 -- outside of Rodgers and Brees, are they really going to score much different than QB3?...But, open up the roster to 2 QB starters and all of sudden you are looking at Bradford/Cutler/Freeman as your low-end starter...
That a big reason why 12 teamers (and 10) are not optimal in any way shape or form.

That a big reason why 12 teamers (and 10) are not optimal in any way shape or form.
Not quite sure what you meant with that statement -- are you saying optimal league size should be bigger?

I didn't realize Russell wilson was guaranteed to score the same amount as matt stafford. That's why they play the game!

I didn't realize Russell wilson was guaranteed to score the same amount as matt stafford. That's why they play the game!
If you re-read what I wrote, the point I was making was not specifically about who is going to score what, but that, in general, the QB10 (the last "starter" in a 10-team league) will probably not finish too far behind QB1-3 in PPG. Henceforth, rendering the position close to pointless as there is little value in drafting/starting QB "X" over QB "Y". Essentially it is on par with Kickers - which, to me, is an utterly use-less/skill-less position in FF.

The results from Part 1 have locked us into a 12-team league. The results from these polls will lock in future options.

12 teams or less and I'll prefer a 2 QB lineup.

12-16 and I'll prefer superflex

more than 16, prefer 1 QB.

I see there is already a No vote for decimal scoring. I can't fathom the reasoning behind not using decimal scoring, so perhaps those who vote against it can post their reasoning.
:shrug:

I think ties are an integral part of the game (especially in straight H2H, though I voted for and prefer All-Play). If two teams' starting lineups put up equal performances, the result should reflect that. Assigning wins and losses, and determining playoff berths, by tenths or hundredths of points (to say nothing about bench scoring tiebreakers, which I particularly loathe) has always seemed somewhat arbitrary to me.

But then again, I enjoy watching soccer, so take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt. :mellow:

If you re-read what I wrote, the point I was making was not specifically about who is going to score what, but that, in general, the QB10 (the last "starter" in a 10-team league) will probably not finish too far behind QB1-3 in PPG. Henceforth, rendering the position close to pointless as there is little value in drafting/starting QB "X" over QB "Y". Essentially it is on par with Kickers - which, to me, is an utterly use-less/skill-less position in FF.
Even if QB10 were to score nearly as many points per game as QB1 (which has not been the case year in and year out)...you still have to decide who you think QB10 will be. You can't tell me I didn't have an advantage last year drafting Matt Ryan in the 5th round when some other guy took Eli in the 4th. The problem with your argument is that you need to know WHO is going to score every week. Last time I checked, you can't draft have the tenth highest scoring QB every week. Last year a bunch of people thought Philip Rivers would be great value as QB12. How'd that work out?

:shrug:

I think ties are an integral part of the game (especially in straight H2H, though I voted for and prefer All-Play). If two teams' starting lineups put up equal performances, the result should reflect that. Assigning wins and losses, and determining playoff berths, by tenths or hundredths of points (to say nothing about bench scoring tiebreakers, which I particularly loathe) has always seemed somewhat arbitrary to me.

But then again, I enjoy watching soccer, so take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt. :mellow:
how about we score every yard as a point, TDs are worth 60 points, Field Goals are worth 30 points, receptions are worth 5 points, etc.

Down with decimals!

Even if QB10 were to score nearly as many points per game as QB1 (which has not been the case year in and year out)...you still have to decide who you think QB10 will be. You can't tell me I didn't have an advantage last year drafting Matt Ryan in the 5th round when some other guy took Eli in the 4th. The problem with your argument is that you need to know WHO is going to score every week. Last time I checked, you can't draft have the tenth highest scoring QB every week. Last year a bunch of people thought Philip Rivers would be great value as QB12. How'd that work out?

Your point is a fair one, but, unlike RB and WR, QB is a pretty consistent position and generally 7/8/9 out of Top 10 pre-season ranked QBs will finish inside the Top 10. Outside of injury, who has really bombed in Chris-Johnson-Like-Fashion at the QB position? -- Eli last year, Rivers' the last 2? I really cannot think of any other QBs who, in recent years, have played/scored significantly lower than their ADP (I'm sure I am missing a few).

H to H with VP as the primary ranking followed by W / L then total points for tiebreaker. Multi flex spots for WR RB and TE.

Creates diverse drafting strategies.

Mr. Irrelevant, on 15 May 2013 - 14:20, said:

Just Win Baby, on 13 May 2013 - 17:57, said:I see there is already a No vote for decimal scoring. I can't fathom the reasoning behind not using decimal scoring, so perhaps those who vote against it can post their reasoning.
:shrug: I think ties are an integral part of the game (especially in straight H2H, though I voted for and prefer All-Play). If two teams' starting lineups put up equal performances, the result should reflect that. Assigning wins and losses, and determining playoff berths, by tenths or hundredths of points (to say nothing about bench scoring tiebreakers, which I particularly loathe) has always seemed somewhat arbitrary to me.But then again, I enjoy watching soccer, so take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt. :mellow:
If one player has 99 yards and a TD and another player has 90 yards and a TD, do you call that "equal performances"? I don't. But not using decimal scoring treats it that way.

I voted

1) 1 QB. I would rather have a superflex and make the flex position a QB/RB/WR/TE, but that wasn't an option. Since I like 12 team leagues, 1 QB it is.

2) H2H. Yes I know luck comes into play, but it keeps a lot more teams in play for a playoff spot. Since I have 6 teams making the playoffs, usually only 2 or so team are eliminated by Week 11.

3) Yes - one flex. I would have 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE. One flex is enough, especially in a 12 team league.

4) No, with the exception of the 1/2 PPR rule that I prefer.

My league uses three flex positions (require 1RB/2WR/1TE - then three at those positions of your choice, with a max of 3RB, 5WR or 2TE). Allows for six line-up possibilities.

Decimal scoring has been received very well since we switched in 2005, although we did have a tie in a late-season game in 2011 that decided a division champion.

We also play head-to-head games, but use a form of victory points that is the basis for our league standings. You get points for a win, but also for how your team ranks each week in total offense (9 starters) and total defense (9 IDP starters).

I can't imagine we will ever switch to a 2QB starting line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread