What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy Dez bryant Right now (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
This ought to be fun.

Coming off a night under the national spotlight where all anyone wants to talk about is how Dez messed up a route, dropped passes, and cost his team a penalty, and with the team going into a bye (and owners maybe needing another starter this week), it would appear that not a lot has changed with Dez Bryant: $million dollar talent, knuckle sandwhich head.

HOWEVER, something has changed with the Cowboys in the last two weeks and Dez bryant is getting ready to be the consistent beneficiary. It is time to buy Mr. Bryant.

Let's concede all the things talked about and say "Yes, all those things happened last night." But then let's step away from the emotional ledge and realize in order to get that much attention, your team must be giving YOU a lot of attention. Yes, Bryant dropped a big pass last night and everyone is buzzing about it and piling on. But you know what, I saw AJ, Megatron, and Wes welker do the same thing this last week or two too. All it means is THEY THREW TO HIM in the first place and that's what is important.

Yeah, Bryant sure did have an important foul called on him last night but you know what? I saw fitz cost Roberts a 70+ yard TD last week on a foul. Did Dez run the wrong route? He sure did. Brandon marshall and Eric Decker did too last week. The point being, nothing attracts a negative crowd like a crowd and this is piling on thick.

But here's the up side in all this. Bryant, over the past two weeks, has been targets 21 times. He had 8 catches last night for 100+. That's production. And it recently is becoming CONSISTENT TARGETS in the right direction. Romo is clearly and obviously looking at Bryant first on almost every single snap. go back and watch the replay if you didn't notice it already. On almost EVERY SINGLE snap, Romo does a quick look to Bryant first. If I own a player, I like that...a lot!

There has also been some recent articles discussing Big 12 WRs, in general that I think ties in exactly in what we are seeing in guys like Dez and Michael crabtree. Anyone else notice how crabtree, this year, is actually starting to come around and he's starting to get some of these quick slants and crossing routes thrown his way? Well, the articles have taken a look at how all these Big 12 kids really never see press coverage in college and how guys like Bryant, Crabs, and Blackmon, if you go back and look at them in college, always seemingly had 9 yards in front of them. So they come to the NFL and, of course, they struggle with it. Last year, with the lockout, there was essentially a year's training camp lost on teaching this. But this year, with a year in training camp, Crabs is coming around and Dez Bryant is looking better. Guess who is still struggling? The rookie Blackmon, who missed some reps in camp (and we've seen so far in games when the corners play up, he's almost a non-factor but in games where the corners lay off, he's getting catches).

So here we are, in the present and Romo is clearly starting to feed this matchup. Bryant IS responding and the talent and potential is obvious. Yes, he's not perfect, but keep in mind NONE of them are. Some are more consistent, sure, but all these guys start somewhere and, to me, its obvious that with Bryant, I'm seeing a phone booth opening with a man in a red cape coming out. This point in time is the time to get Dez Bryant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you didn't post this. Cause I've been targeting Bryant in all of my leagues after last night's game. Buy now. Emotional fantasy football players are the ultimate targets for me.

Let's concede all the things talked about and say "Yes, all those things happened last night." But then let's step away from the emotional ledge and realize in order to get that much attention, your team must be giving YOU a lot of attention. Yes, Bryant dropped a big pass last night and everyone is buzzing about it and piling on. But you know what, I saw AJ, Megatron, and Wes welker do the same thing this last week or two too. All it means is THEY THREW TO HIM in the first place and that's what is important.

Yeah, Bryant sure did have an important foul called on him last night but you know what? I saw fitz cost Roberts a 70+ yard TD last week on a foul. Did Dez run the wrong route? He sure did. Brandon marshall and Eric Decker did too last week. The point being, nothing attracts a negative crowd like a crowd and this is piling on thick.
Yeah, but Dez did this ALL in ONE game. It was a horrible game for him, and at the very least Romo's confidence in him is shaken.

This guy is garbage get over it
I suppose one man's trash is another man's treasure but the targets are there, the progression is there, and the production is there (He's currently in the same "garbage can" as Steve smith, Anquan Boldin, and davone Bess in terms of production.)

Thanks for your help.On topic:I am torn. I want the guy to do well. All season I have been "waiting to see" if Dez got his routes and mental issues in check - as was reported during camp. Last night was the first concrete proof: No. IF the targets keep up, he'll be a very solid WR2. But that is a big IF, after last night. Especially when Romo wasn't very confident in him prior to last night.

Yeah, but Dez did this ALL in ONE game. It was a horrible game for him, and at the very least Romo's confidence in him is shaken.
yes, its obvious Romo's confidence is shaken. I can tell by the 13 targets last night.

Thanks for your help.On topic:

I am torn. I want the guy to do well. All season I have been "waiting to see" if Dez got his routes and mental issues in check - as was reported during camp.

Last night was the first concrete proof: No.

IF the targets keep up, he'll be a very solid WR2. But that is a big IF, after last night. Especially when Romo wasn't very confident in him prior to last night
If these targets keep up, he'll be a lock WR1. The difference (in ppr, at least), between him having the ~19 points or so last night vs 30 is one TD and the yards that come with it. He's a red zone target. He's not going to end up without TDs all year. Keep in mind, he's currently, in ppr, ranked about WR30 and that is with NOT ONE TD. Even if he had just one TD every other game, that would put him at about WR 12-15 right now...that's Decker, Damaryius, Harvin, welker territory.I'm telling you guys: there is a VERY fine line between Dez being that knucklehead everyone likes to talk about and a guy you don't want to play against on Sunday and he's getting ready to cross that line.

I have been on the Bryant bandwagon since they drafted him because of his athletic ability. After watching him this year it seems like he is going to be one of those gifted athletes that never really get how to play the NFL game. In college you can overcome stupidity with ability. In the NFL that will only hapend once in awhile. Bryant is just not a smart football player and makes the same mistakes over and over again.

They need to get a guy who follows him around on field and tells him the proper things to do....like the guy who shadows him off the field.

He had 8 catches last night for 100+.
How is this an opportunity to buy low? Bryant's owner likely paid a relatively high price for him in your draft or auction, and he finally put up a starter-worthy performance. The time to buy low was two weeks ago. If the Bryant owner in your league is looking to sell right now, he's going to want to "sell high" after last night's performance.

I have been on the Bryant bandwagon since they drafted him because of his athletic ability. After watching him this year it seems like he is going to be one of those gifted athletes that never really get how to play the NFL game. In college you can overcome stupidity with ability. In the NFL that will only hapend once in awhile. Bryant is just not a smart football player and makes the same mistakes over and over again.
I guess Brandon Marshall is a guy similar things were said about and he's doing ok. Guys that come into the league with talent but questions is pretty normal and its not overnight for all these guys. Patience pays off sometimes. People had questions about Brady, Brees, Cruz, Bowe, Torrey Smith, Foster, Harvin, etc,etc, and these guys are some of the best in fantasy right now. Foster is actually a good comparable in the sense that before anyone knew him, he had a knock on him as a guy that had (perceived by most) had far less talent than a guy like dez has, but he was viable. But the knock on him was he didn't train right, didn't take care of his body right, didn't have the right focus. foster, himself, said in an interview last year that he finally took it seriously. Of course, everyone is different, but the opportunity is there. If nothing else, you know the cowboys aren't going to just wash their hands of this and call it a loss. If NOTHING else, you can probably play on Jerry Jones' ego to know that he is going to do anything he can to prove himself right on this guy.

How is this an opportunity to buy low? Bryant's owner likely paid a relatively high price for him in your draft or auction, and he finally put up a starter-worthy performance. The time to buy low was two weeks ago. If the Bryant owner in your league is looking to sell right now, he's going to want to "sell high" after last night's performance.
Two things: I didn't say "buy low". I said "buy now". There's a difference. Each league is different but if you read my initial post, I did outline a few reasons why a dez owner just might be ripe for selling right now, due to a few different factors. Remember, this is the shark pool. We are supposed to make the pre-emptive strikes, not talk about shooting fish in a barrell. Its not supposed to be an easy slam dunk, its supposed to be about a very good investment you can be making right now. Overall, though, especially in dynasty leagues, I'd say his price is about as low as it has ever been. but its not going to stay that way.

He is going into a bye week and in redraft I bet a lot of those owners will be ready to try and unload him after the big game and facing a bye week. Especially considering the drops and other issues.

Even if he had just one TD every other game, that would put him at about WR 12-15 right now...that's Decker, Damaryius, Harvin, welker territory.
Where are these TDs going to come from? The Cowboys are not a good offense right now, teams #### coverage towards Dez in the redzone because they don't respect the run. A TD every other game is best case scenario and very wishful thinking.

I am not sure how low you will be able to get him.

I was actually just offered Bryant for Antonio Brown (who just had his bye) and was all too happy to hit the decline button.

Last night was very, very close to being a 200 yard, 1 touchdown game. The guy is a beast. Yes, he's a bonehead, but so were Moss and T.O. Boneheads can be super productive fantasy receivers.

I'm not saying he's AJ Green or Calvin Jiohnson right now, but he has way too much potential to unload for what you're probably going to be getting right now. Sit tight on Bryant. I think he's a baby T.O.

Dez is going to have people with strong polarized opinions on his value. I see him as a huge risk but offering potential reward that exceeded almost any WR out there. The decision to buy or sell on him has as much to do with the make up and situation of your team as your opinion of Bryant. If you can afford to take the risk or need to hit the home run then Dez is not a bad option. If you feel playing it safe is the best way to go then avoid him.

:goodposting:

I guess Brandon Marshall is a guy similar things were said about and he's doing ok.
Marshall has been an absolute mess away from the football field (WAY worse than Bryant is ever likely to be), but in regard to football, his work ethic and ability has never been an issue. Marshall's issues don't really effect him football-wise (provided he's not in jail or suspended of course).Bryant is lazy and/or unprofessional (conditioning issues, not knowing the playbook, etc) - it's a 100% different issue entirely. He's still young, and may figure it out, but in his 3rd year it might be time to start worrying also.That said I agree that he'll likely see a career high in targets this year. Dallas still can't run block, Witten is either still hurting or starting to decline, and I'm not buying Ogletree as consistently demanding a bunch of looks. Dez is a tough guy to get a good read on IMO.

Two things: I didn't say "buy low". I said "buy now". There's a difference. Each league is different but if you read my initial post, I did outline a few reasons why a dez owner just might be ripe for selling right now, due to a few different factors.
Fair enough. It kind of sounded like you were proposing a "buy low" opportunity by listing all the reasons his owner would be down on him right now. In any case, I still think the time to buy was a couple of weeks ago. The time to buy a player is usually not immediately following his best game of the year. I own Dez in a redraft, and you could've taken him off my hands pretty easily a week or two ago. Now? Not so much. I'm not looking to ship him off just because he's facing a bye week. Don't underestimate the Bryant owner - he's not sitting there thinking, "Bryant got called for a foul last night, and now he's on bye! I need to get rid of him quick." He's more likely thinking, "Bryant had 100+ yards last night with an opportunity for much more. Finally I'm getting the value I paid for him, as long as he keeps getting targeted like this he'll be the WR I drafted him to be." I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't buy him, but now you're going to pay much more than you would've a couple weeks ago.

Romo's confidence level doesn't matter. He's looking for anyone he can potentially get rid of the ball to in his 1.1 seconds of time before getting crushed. Romo doesn't have the luxury of picking/choosing his targets right now.

Regarding the Tillman int for a TD. Romo has to share the blame for that one. Experts and NFL analysts today realized that Tillman jumped the route. Even if Dez ran the correct route Tillman would have picked it off. In the video you can see Romo rush the throw when the bliz was not picked up. This is a failure of the offensive line picking up the bliz, Romo rushing the throw not seeing Tillman jump the route and then Dez ran the wrong route. Perhaps Dez could have knocked the ball down if he ran the correct route who knows. But I have seen Romo do this before where he does not see a defender jump the route after being blizted. The Detroit Lions game from last year was another example when he threw a pick 6 and in that game Dez ran the correct route. See the videos below. The first one is the pick 6 from last night. The second one is the pick 6 from the Detroit Lions game in 2011. All the Dez haters can hate.

1. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/ef419b927d9d40058eb771d1dfe7921e

2. http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Carpenter-pick-6/bdfb4854-9d64-445f-ba45-208cdac50044

Two things: I didn't say "buy low". I said "buy now". There's a difference. Each league is different but if you read my initial post, I did outline a few reasons why a dez owner just might be ripe for selling right now, due to a few different factors.
Fair enough. It kind of sounded like you were proposing a "buy low" opportunity by listing all the reasons his owner would be down on him right now. In any case, I still think the time to buy was a couple of weeks ago. The time to buy a player is usually not immediately following his best game of the year. I own Dez in a redraft, and you could've taken him off my hands pretty easily a week or two ago. Now? Not so much. I'm not looking to ship him off just because he's facing a bye week. Don't underestimate the Bryant owner - he's not sitting there thinking, "Bryant got called for a foul last night, and now he's on bye! I need to get rid of him quick." He's more likely thinking, "Bryant had 100+ yards last night with an opportunity for much more. Finally I'm getting the value I paid for him, as long as he keeps getting targeted like this he'll be the WR I drafted him to be." I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't buy him, but now you're going to pay much more than you would've a couple weeks ago.
As a guy heavily invested in Dez, I can see it both ways. In a league where I picked up a bunch of good receivers late, I might be willing to deal him for a decent but not all star player just to get something more reliable at a position of need. On the other hand, mistakes aside, last night was a big fantasy game. I'm mixed on his value, and a good, fair offer might grab him.

Forget about his mental issues - His talent is overrated. There, I said it.

I don't get the TO comparisons. When Dez goes against elite CBs (like Seattle), he can't separate. He doesn't have the elite jumping ability of a Calvin or AJ Green. He doesn't have the top end speed either.

Yes, he's a talented WR, but his talent is not elite to overcome the lack of football IQ and refinement in his game.

Even if he had just one TD every other game, that would put him at about WR 12-15 right now...that's Decker, Damaryius, Harvin, welker territory.
Where are these TDs going to come from? The Cowboys are not a good offense right now, teams #### coverage towards Dez in the redzone because they don't respect the run. A TD every other game is best case scenario and very wishful thinking.
Sure, I'm not saying expect one every other week, just really illustrating that law of averages says he will have SOME vs. None and a few here and there makes a big difference in his ranking. As for where are they coming from, I believe the Cowboys are clearly a throw first team and they had a tendency last year to throw more than anyone in the redzone. Dez is clearly a redzone target. I think the opportunity is there.

:goodposting:
Again..never said buy low..said buy.

This argument seems to boil down to, "look at all the positive looks and attention that Dez Bryant got while the Cowboys QB and offense were having their worst game of the year." You don't need to blame Dez or assume he's garbage to assume that the Cowboys might not want to continue doing what they were trying to do last night.

As a Bryant owner, would you agree (especially in dynasty), that still, even today vs. 2 weeks ago, that his relative price is lower than it has ever been? Again, not rtying to make this a "buy low" thread, just discussing that he should be looked into for possible good things down the road, but price DOES seem to be something a lot of people like to factor in when discussing players here.

Forget about his mental issues - His talent is overrated. There, I said it.

I don't get the TO comparisons. When Dez goes against elite CBs (like Seattle), he can't separate. He doesn't have the elite jumping ability of a Calvin or AJ Green. He doesn't have the top end speed either.

Yes, he's a talented WR, but his talent is not elite to overcome the lack of football IQ and refinement in his game.
Did you read my initial post on the discussion re: separating. basically, this may be something he is learning on the fly. On the other: I know we can all split hairs on what we think is talent or not, especially comparing him to what is consensus to of the best in the league and especially if we are talking athleticism. But, clearly, when you watch the guy play, he exudes a lot of the stuff that makes for a great WR in this league. Tom Brady doesn't look like Cam Newton who doesn't look like Peyton manning, but they all have their ways.

Sounds good in theory, but in most of my leagues the Dez owner is a true believer who wouldn't sell for anything less than a huge price.

This argument seems to boil down to, "look at all the positive looks and attention that Dez Bryant got while the Cowboys QB and offense were having their worst game of the year." You don't need to blame Dez or assume he's garbage to assume that the Cowboys might not want to continue doing what they were trying to do last night.
they have laid 3 stinkers in a row.

Unloaded Ryan Williams for Bryant today, that seems like his value is low. If the Dez owner is frustrated with him it could be a good time to buy potential. In my case I needed WR more than a 5th RB

Unloaded Ryan Williams for Bryant today, that seems like his value is low. If the Dez owner is frustrated with him it could be a good time to buy potential. In my case I needed WR more than a 5th RB
Wow. If that is his value, I need to start sending some offers. Good deal, on your part.

One day Vick is going to put it all together too. It's right around the corner.
that's kind of a funny statement because it was only 2 years ago that Vick singlehandedly carried a TON of ff teams to championships andits not like he's irrelevant now. This isn't about finding the next Megatron+Rodgers rolled into one. Its just about a guy that is getting ready to increase in value.

makes sense on the surface. however, the Cowboys have pretty much been riding this same train for the last 3-4 years. They don't exactly change on a dime like a team such as the Broncos did last year or the Patriots might be willing to do. I mean, yeah, I'm sure they would love to come back next game and be more balanced, but they have been a passing team for several years now. i don't think that changes over the course of the next three months.

Sounds good in theory, but in most of my leagues the Dez owner is a true believer who wouldn't sell for anything less than a huge price.
That sounds about right. Though I bet a Dez owner would trade him for another hyped player that hasn't lived up to preseason expectations but still has done more than Dez. Like a Brandon Lloyd type. Maybe Doug Martin or Bradshaw. Basically, a player with hype, but less perceived upside and less risk.

That sounds about right. Though I bet a Dez owner would trade him for another hyped player that hasn't lived up to preseason expectations but still has done more than Dez. Like a Brandon Lloyd type. Maybe Doug Martin or Bradshaw. Basically, a player with hype, but less perceived upside and less risk.
I didn't make it clear, but I was talking dynasty. Redraft might be a different story, but in dynasty I have tried to pry Dez away from numerous owners over the past couple years and never had much success. He has always been valued like an elite player and I think it will still be tough to get him.

Ditto here. think this is the first year I have not had him on a team, along with Romo. Ahhhhh what a relief!

As a Bryant owner, would you agree (especially in dynasty), that still, even today vs. 2 weeks ago, that his relative price is lower than it has ever been?
I don't know that I'd say his price is relatively low right now. The 105 yards he put up last night is the most he's ever caught in his career. In fact, he's only had one other 100-yard game, and that was for 104 yards in 2010. Again, you're usually not getting a great price if you're buying right after a great game. Owners like to capitalize on good games by selling high, not low.In redraft, his owner just paid a relatively high price for him four or five weeks ago. He's probably not looking to sell Bryant at a discount now that he just had his best game of the year.I don't play dynasty, so I can't really comment on that. But if his owner has held onto him since 2010, I don't see why he'd suddenly be eager to unload him now. The only difference between Dez 2012 and Dez 2011 seems to be that he doesn't have a TD yet, but most astute owners (which I assume most dynasty owners are) are aware that TDs are fluky, and that if Bryant keeps getting targeted like this, his TDs will come.
But then let's step away from the emotional ledge and realize in order to get that much attention, your team must be giving YOU a lot of attention. ...All it means is THEY THREW TO HIM in the first place and that's what is important. ...But here's the up side in all this. Bryant, over the past two weeks, has been targets 21 times. He had 8 catches last night for 100+. That's production. And it recently is becoming CONSISTENT TARGETS in the right direction.
Speaking of Dez 2011, look at his target numbers from 2011. They're not really different for most of the year than the past two weeks have been. It's not like his targets these past two weeks indicate that he's suddenly going to explode into a top-5 WR. He was getting targeted pretty consistently last year and he was basically a WR2, which is what he is now and what you'll probably have to pay to get him. I'm not saying it's not worth trying to acquire him, but I don't see a huge BUY NOW opportunity here. He is what he is, a WR2 who might once in a while put up WR1 numbers, and his owner probably already knew that going into this year.

I didn't make it clear, but I was talking dynasty. Redraft might be a different story, but in dynasty I have tried to pry Dez away from numerous owners over the past couple years and never had much success. He has always been valued like an elite player and I think it will still be tough to get him.
This is the case in a number of my leagues as well. Then again, there is another Dez thread where dynasty owners are indicating that they are looking to sell. While the price may not be low, it may not be as high as it once was. Point is, he may finally now be available. In those leagues where an owner is now ready to sell (and I have already seen one Dez trade today), I would be buying.

This ought to be fun.Coming off a night under the national spotlight where all anyone wants to talk about is how Dez messed up a route, dropped passes, and cost his team a penalty, and with the team going into a bye (and owners maybe needing another starter this week), it would appear that not a lot has changed with Dez Bryant: $million dollar talent, knuckle sandwhich head. HOWEVER, something has changed with the Cowboys in the last two weeks and Dez bryant is getting ready to be the consistent beneficiary. It is time to buy Mr. Bryant.Let's concede all the things talked about and say "Yes, all those things happened last night." But then let's step away from the emotional ledge and realize in order to get that much attention, your team must be giving YOU a lot of attention. Yes, Bryant dropped a big pass last night and everyone is buzzing about it and piling on. But you know what, I saw AJ, Megatron, and Wes welker do the same thing this last week or two too. All it means is THEY THREW TO HIM in the first place and that's what is important. Yeah, Bryant sure did have an important foul called on him last night but you know what? I saw fitz cost Roberts a 70+ yard TD last week on a foul. Did Dez run the wrong route? He sure did. Brandon marshall and Eric Decker did too last week. The point being, nothing attracts a negative crowd like a crowd and this is piling on thick.But here's the up side in all this. Bryant, over the past two weeks, has been targets 21 times. He had 8 catches last night for 100+. That's production. And it recently is becoming CONSISTENT TARGETS in the right direction. Romo is clearly and obviously looking at Bryant first on almost every single snap. go back and watch the replay if you didn't notice it already. On almost EVERY SINGLE snap, Romo does a quick look to Bryant first. If I own a player, I like that...a lot! There has also been some recent articles discussing Big 12 WRs, in general that I think ties in exactly in what we are seeing in guys like Dez and Michael crabtree. Anyone else notice how crabtree, this year, is actually starting to come around and he's starting to get some of these quick slants and crossing routes thrown his way? Well, the articles have taken a look at how all these Big 12 kids really never see press coverage in college and how guys like Bryant, Crabs, and Blackmon, if you go back and look at them in college, always seemingly had 9 yards in front of them. So they come to the NFL and, of course, they struggle with it. Last year, with the lockout, there was essentially a year's training camp lost on teaching this. But this year, with a year in training camp, Crabs is coming around and Dez Bryant is looking better. Guess who is still struggling? The rookie Blackmon, who missed some reps in camp (and we've seen so far in games when the corners play up, he's almost a non-factor but in games where the corners lay off, he's getting catches). So here we are, in the present and Romo is clearly starting to feed this matchup. Bryant IS responding and the talent and potential is obvious. Yes, he's not perfect, but keep in mind NONE of them are. Some are more consistent, sure, but all these guys start somewhere and, to me, its obvious that with Bryant, I'm seeing a phone booth opening with a man in a red cape coming out. This point in time is the time to get Dez Bryant.
Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread