What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (3 Viewers)

Found a new one and maybe it's been addressed here.

Our sons have flag football practice and games on Sunday. There is one field used for this and it gets very crowded on game day. Parking is tough to find and space to set up your chairs can be tight.

Yesterday, between games, there was a husband, wife and maybe a 10 year old girl all in folding chairs cheering on their 7ish year old son/brother. The games have about 10-15 minutes between them, so once a game is over, you pack up and let the new group of parents sit down. Not this family. They waited until their son talked to the coach, got his snack, came over with his snack, helped him open the snack all the while just camping out in their spots. Meanwhile, our game is about to begin and they are taking up about 15 feet or so with their chairs.

Finally, they get up and start to pack up at what I will generously call a glacial pace. Put things nicely into a some sort of bag, slowly begin to fold-up the chairs and have TWO people put the chairs in the chair bags. Just oblivious to the fact that other people would like to set up their chairs and watch their son play football. Finally, I had enough and just started setting up right next to them to send a message. The dad got a little huffy, but I ignored him.

Youth sport fan etiquette 101 -- Once your game is over, you pack up your stuff and you move immediately so others can set up and watch their game. It's just polite. The self absorbed oblivion that some of us wear on a daily basis has got to be a gigantic pet peeve of mine over all. Be aware of others. Be courteous. It's not hard.
Did you explain your situation and ask them if they could shift their stuff away from the field boundary so you could set up for your kid's upcoming game?

No, I seethed silently behind them before sending a purpose pitch high and tight. I shouldn't have to explain etiquette 101 to people. This is common decency. We live in a society.

Our sons have flag football practice and games on Sunday. There is one field used for this and it gets very crowded on game day. Parking is tough to find and space to set up your chairs can be tight.

Yesterday, between games, there was a husband, wife and maybe a 10 year old girl all in folding chairs cheering on their 7ish year old son/brother. The games have about 10-15 minutes between them, so once a game is over, you pack up and let the new group of parents sit down. Not this family. They waited until their son talked to the coach, got his snack, came over with his snack, helped him open the snack all the while just camping out in their spots. Meanwhile, our game is about to begin and they are taking up about 15 feet or so with their chairs.

Finally, they get up and start to pack up at what I will generously call a glacial pace. Put things nicely into a some sort of bag, slowly begin to fold-up the chairs and have TWO people put the chairs in the chair bags. Just oblivious to the fact that other people would like to set up their chairs and watch their son play football. Finally, I had enough and just started setting up right next to them to send a message. The dad got a little huffy, but I ignored him.

Youth sport fan etiquette 101 -- Once your game is over, you pack up your stuff and you move immediately so others can set up and watch their game. It's just polite. The self absorbed oblivion that some of us wear on a daily basis has got to be a gigantic pet peeve of mine over all. Be aware of others. Be courteous. It's not hard.
Did you explain your situation and ask them if they could shift their stuff away from the field boundary so you could set up for your kid's upcoming game?

No, I seethed silently behind them before sending a purpose pitch high and tight. I shouldn't have to explain etiquette 101 to people. This is common decency. We live in a society.
I hear you. It might be worth the conversation though, I bet they'd react positively and there'd be one less oblivious family out there as a result. I know you can be diplomatic and charming when the situation calls for it.

did you try crop dusting?

I hear you. It might be worth the conversation though, I bet they'd react positively and there'd be one less oblivious family out there as a result. I know you can be diplomatic and charming when the situation calls for it.

I believe you have me confused with somebody else good sir. ;)

I believe you have me confused with somebody else good sir. ;)
Nope. You just proved my point. :bowtie:

Does the cost of condiment packets come directly out of the paycheck of the drive-thru employee? If I order 3 meals and then ask for ketchup, why in the world would you think handing me two little packets is going to satisfy my request?

On the flip side, Taco Bell franchisees must be swimming in cash... they will hand me a bag that already has Mild and Hot packets in it, and if I ask for Fire they just grab an entire handful and toss them in on top...

Popeyes with their honey is the worst. About twice a year we get Popeyes. Asking them for honey is like I’m pulling money out of the employees personal savings account.

Street parking in the suburbs. There’s a reason you have a garage, and it ain’t storing junk.

For reference, my neighbor parks his two boats, and the ginormous trucks used to haul them, on the street. One set is in front of his house, blocking his driveway. I’m OK with that. I’m less enthusiastic about the ones he parks in front of me and my neighbor’s property, across the street from his home.

The net effect is a narrow corridor, between boats and trucks, and three different mailboxes being blocked. And he only sporadically uses the boats, so suburbia has effectively become his dry dock.

I’ve considered reporting the boats as abandoned, as he technically shouldn’t park them on the street at all. And no vehicle can remain in the same spot for over 24 hours. But my wife, and not wanting a war with the neighbors, have kept my irritation internalized. 🤬

Times like these make me appreciate the onerous HOA we have. This crap wouldn't survive a day without action from Karen and Chad in our HOA.

Also, isn't it illegal to block a mail box?
Illegal to park within 4 feet of a driveway, a boat on the street, or to park any vehicle in one place over 24 hours. So he’s breaking several laws. AFAIK, you can block a mailbox in Hawaii legally, if it isn’t right next to the driveway (ours is).

The thing is, by taking action, I become Chad.

Street parking in the suburbs. There’s a reason you have a garage, and it ain’t storing junk.

For reference, my neighbor parks his two boats, and the ginormous trucks used to haul them, on the street. One set is in front of his house, blocking his driveway. I’m OK with that. I’m less enthusiastic about the ones he parks in front of me and my neighbor’s property, across the street from his home.

The net effect is a narrow corridor, between boats and trucks, and three different mailboxes being blocked. And he only sporadically uses the boats, so suburbia has effectively become his dry dock.

I’ve considered reporting the boats as abandoned, as he technically shouldn’t park them on the street at all. And no vehicle can remain in the same spot for over 24 hours. But my wife, and not wanting a war with the neighbors, have kept my irritation internalized. 🤬
The passive aggressive thing would be to park your least valuable vehicle in front of your house as often as possible. Also ask your neighbor to move his stuff when you attempt to do that, if their vehicles are there. Invent some kind of phantom driveway/garage repairs that never seem to complete as a reason why you need to park in front of your house.
Yeah, thought about doing that. But I like leaving my car unlocked, and avoiding getting inundated with bird sh!t. Moreover, I’d have to claim the rarely vacated street spots.

Plus, he would then know for certain when I eventually report his vehicles to the po-po.

The thing is, by taking action, I become Chad
Pfft, a Chad would have been calling the cops before the first 24 hours were up. It's gone on long enough for anyone to want to take action. Your neighbor creating a narrow corridor has created a hazard. Don't worry about being a bad neighbor to him, be a good neighbor for everyone who has to travel through the corridor.

Last edited:

Just set your chairs in front of theirs.

You believe a person will react positively? For real? I guess there could always be a first. Hypothetically. As part of some thought exercise in philosophy class.

Just set your chairs in front of theirs.
They are right up on the sideline so if we put our chairs in front of theirs it'd be in the field of play.

You believe a person will react positively? For real? I guess there could always be a first. Hypothetically. As part of some thought exercise in philosophy class.
I do, assuming you ask politely and get them to employ a little empathy.

Ovens that have timers that don't do seconds.

I think you are overestimating the preciseness of oven cooking.
It's more a habit thing. On the microwave I type 2:00 if I want two minutes. If I type 8:00 on the oven, same manufacturer, it is 8 hours.
How often do you cook something in the oven for 8 minutes?
I cook homemade flatbreads for 16 minutes and rotate halfway through.

I also make a loaf of bread where I cook for 15 minutes with lid on dutch oven, then 30 minutes off. Then I add five minutes at a time until it looks right.

Hot pretzels. Bagels. All sorts of things that need to be flipped require short timers.

I use the oven timer because it is on the oven. And I am using the oven. Sometimes while I am using the oven I warm up my coffee in the microwave or I warm up something else. And every once in while I accidentally set the oven timer for too many minutes out of habit after having just used the microwave.

I need to know if this is just me being randomly angry or this annoys other.

Maybe I have ask me everything kind of vibe..... We are walking around with computer in your pocket.

Yet my wife, my parents, co workers just ask a thousand questions that would take 30 seconds to answer. What time is this? Do you know this? When is this? Like im the gate keeper of answers
10000%
I've been keeping count, and I'm pretty sure it's 7 days running where my wife will ask me what the weather is going to be like today. Each time she asks, I purposefully and obviously pick up my phone to go to the weather app and read it off to her. Today, I walked over and picked up HER phone, which was sitting on the counter in front of her and did the same thing. Passive aggressive much?
going on like 17 years in a row here, gb

Ovens that have timers that don't do seconds.

I think you are overestimating the preciseness of oven cooking.
I think he got his oven in 1952. I haven't seen an oven without seconds since the timer ceased to be an actual clock mechanism.
Ours only shows seconds when it is in the final minute. Otherwise, minutes only.
Ditto and it can be annoying. If you want to use the oven timer for something else, non oven related, and you put in:30 and hit start. It goes to 30 minutes. I mean whatever..use the microwave timer..but it is a legit pet peeve

Is it?

My wife lacks the ability to simply ask me to something. She will hint, be passive aggressive, get upset, anything except actually ask me to do whatever it is she wants.

Drives me up the walls.

My wife lacks the ability to simply ask me to something. She will hint, be passive aggressive, get upset, anything except actually ask me to do whatever it is she wants.

Drives me up the walls.
This sounds similar to my life. My wife will not answer a simple question on my first ask. No question, ever, regardless of subject or emotional content or setting. She just doesn't do that. Seriously, never, she just doesn't do that. She answers what she thinks "I'm driving at."

After years together I figured out that her family used questions as a way to "get at" and then criticize the person being asked. And she was the youngest in a household of 8. So by the time she was in elementary school her "defend yourself against questions" reflex was ingrained. "Where is the salt shaker?" comes across, to her, as "you put the salt shaker in a stupid place."

I adjusted long ago and we communicate, actually communicate well most of the time. I just follow the path around the landmines.

People that wait at street corners not intending to cross in either direction in the immediate future, Just waiting.

Back away ten feet please so every car approaching the crosswalk doesn't have to slow down to a stop because it looks like you are crossing.

I guess I need to specify I am talking about corners without stoplights and in a state where you must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk as described.

Not sure if other states don't require you to yield, but if there are, somebody from that state would surely point out that they don't have to yield, wondering what's the issue.

Also this is a brand new subdivision and surrounding area so it is not some old relic of a town.

Thanks for listening. Have a blessed day.

what’s the deal with people who refuse to merge in *behind* you?
/Seinfeld

Yesterday I’m getting on the freeway - there’s ample room behind me. I’m signaling left to merge left into (light) traffic, and some bozo gasses it, hard charges ahead of me where there’s barely a car-length to the car ahead of me, only to then have to brake hard, cutting me off because they’re taking the exit (same on/off that I’m entering from).

All they had to do is slow down like, 1 mph, merge in behind me (at least 8 car lengths available) and take the ****ing exit.

It happens all the time. What TF is wrong with people?

/Seinfeld

Yesterday I’m getting on the freeway - there’s ample room behind me. I’m signaling left to merge left into (light) traffic, and some bozo gasses it, hard charges ahead of me where there’s barely a car-length to the car ahead of me, only to then have to brake hard, cutting me off because they’re taking the exit (same on/off that I’m entering from).

All they had to do is slow down like, 1 mph, merge in behind me (at least 8 car lengths available) and take the ****ing exit.

because far too many people lose their humanity when they enter the protection of the steel chamber and become entitled weenuses - even if they weren't before.

/Seinfeld

because far too many people lose their humanity when they enter the protection of the steel chamber and become entitled weenuses - even if they weren't before.

There are quite a few people in this world who can’t see 10 seconds into the future. Like when they cut three people off and get stuck at the light. They didn’t get anywhere and now they got three people pissed at them. Every once in a while, somebody gets out of the car and addresses the situation.

/Seinfeld

There are quite a few people in this world who can’t see 10 seconds into the future. Like when they cut three people off and get stuck at the light. They didn’t get anywhere and now they got three people pissed at them. Every once in a while, somebody gets out of the car and addresses the situation.
I read an article recently that suggested that as many as 35% of people have no Internal dialogue.

Just empty headed vessels moving among us, who only think when forced to do so.

When encountering them, Hanlan’s Razor is a very useful mental tool. Assume ignorance or stupidity rather than malice. That way you don’t take their idiocy personally.

/Seinfeld

I read an article recently that suggested that as many as 35% of people have no Internal dialogue.

When encountering them, Hanlan’s Razor is a very useful mental tool. Assume ignorance or stupidity rather than malice. That way you don’t take their idiocy personally.

“Empty-headed vessels” will likely be my favorite line of the day

Last edited:
“Empty-handed vessels” will likely be my favorite line of the day
If that % is accurate it’s a truly terrifying thought.

Working a retail booth at a county fair every year as part of what I do, I’ve interacted with a wide swath of humanity - and I believe it.

I am envious in some ways. I have a constant yammering internal dialogue. They say ignorance is bliss.

/Seinfeld

There's another whole thread on this....I'm a 35% jerky

People that wait at street corners not intending to cross in either direction in the immediate future, Just waiting.

Back away ten feet please so every car approaching the crosswalk doesn't have to slow down to a stop because it looks like you are crossing.

I guess I need to specify I am talking about corners without stoplights and in a state where you must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk as described.
You probably mean like every 10th car.

Pet peeve - people in cars that don't' yield to pedestrians in crosswalks

Not sure if other states don't require you to yield, but if there are, somebody from that state would surely point out that they don't have to yield, wondering what's the issue.

Also this is a brand new subdivision and surrounding area so it is not some old relic of a town.

When my wife and I go on walks, we'll run into this quite often when we have to cross busy roads. We're in a state where cars are supposed to yield. But I don't want to be the moron stopping traffic. I can wait a few seconds. So we always try to back away from the curb. But that wasn't enough. So now we back away from the curb and basically turn our backs on the road to make it clear that we're not expecting the cars to stop for us. That seems to do the trick. I'm pretty sure we're the only ones on earth doing this. You're welcome, empty vessels.

People who knock on your front door and then try to open it. This happens more often than you think. Just last weekend some dude with a clipboard was walking around the neighborhood. I usually never open the door for this type of solicitation and I did not in this case. He knocked, then 5 seconds later knocked again and immediately tried the door handle. What do people expect is going to happen if they manage to open the door? Like I'm going to be interested in their stupid ******** all of a sudden? If I ever forget to lock the door and I see some solicitor open my door, they might end up getting the sharp end of my fireplace poker.

/Seinfeld

People turn weird when they get behind a wheel. Like everything is a competition.

When my wife and I go on walks, we'll run into this quite often when we have to cross busy roads. We're in a state where cars are supposed to yield. But I don't want to be the moron stopping traffic. I can wait a few seconds. So we always try to back away from the curb. But that wasn't enough. So now we back away from the curb and basically turn our backs on the road to make it clear that we're not expecting the cars to stop for us. That seems to do the trick. I'm pretty sure we're the only ones on earth doing this. You're welcome, empty vessels.
This is the balance people need to figure out. Cars should yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk. The key is in the crosswalk or activity entering. People walking shouldn't just think cars should stop. I thank you for standing back until ready to cross. Most likely if you pause for 2 or 3 cars it would be clear for you to cross without backing everyone one up.

I do enjoy going to conferences but the number one thing I cannot stand; the people. Every time I go, it's just astounding to me the lack of respect and manners that are put on display by people that are supposed to be professionals.
Showing up late for sessions, being on your phone, computer or tablet and the most annoying of all, having a conversation with someone while the speaker is talking. I mean, what the hell is the matter with you?

No moops. I don't mean every tenth car.

Have a blessed day.

No moops. I don't mean every tenth car.

Have a blessed day.
You live in an alternate world if you think that every car that approaches a crosswalk stops. I think 10% is probably overestimating

People who knock on your front door and then try to open it. This happens more often than you think. Just last weekend some dude with a clipboard was walking around the neighborhood. I usually never open the door for this type of solicitation and I did not in this case. He knocked, then 5 seconds later knocked again and immediately tried the door handle. What do people expect is going to happen if they manage to open the door? Like I'm going to be interested in their stupid ******** all of a sudden? If I ever forget to lock the door and I see some solicitor open my door, they might end up getting the sharp end of my fireplace poker.
What??
What happens if the door isn’t locked, he walks in? Seems like a good way to get shot

What??
What happens if the door isn’t locked, he walks in? Seems like a good way to get shot
My thoughts exactly. Yikes.

Gotta be in some serious suburbia if this is a common occurrence.

Users who are viewing this thread