What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (5 Viewers)

Why don't all potato chip manufacturers recognize that the objectively best way to open a bag of chips is by pulling at each side, yet so many still insist on using the world's strongest super glue to seal their bags shut and offering the "tear here" solution as the only way to open.
Also, cereal bags that tear vertically instead of opening up horizontally the way they're supposed to. Why is this such a difficult engineering problem?
I have said this before, but I also hate the cereal bags that are shorter than the box. The bag should extend longer so no cereal gets in between bag and box

Why don't all potato chip manufacturers recognize that the objectively best way to open a bag of chips is by pulling at each side, yet so many still insist on using the world's strongest super glue to seal their bags shut and offering the "tear here" solution as the only way to open.
Also, cereal bags that tear vertically instead of opening up horizontally the way they're supposed to. Why is this such a difficult engineering problem?
I have said this before, but I also hate the cereal bags that are shorter than the box. The bag should extend longer so no cereal gets in between bag and box
Especially since we're literally paying double now what it cost a couple years ago. And in many cases, it's double the price for less cereal. Those skinny boxes aren't fooling anyone, you #&@)#(-_&&####

Especially since we're literally paying double now what it cost a couple years ago. And in many cases, it's double the price for less cereal. Those skinny boxes aren't fooling anyone, you #&@)#(-_&&####
I think you mistook them for Oedipus.

Front row stand up turn around making arm motions for everyone else to stand up guy
This is when a slingshot becomes a good thing to have on you.
People who stand up for the entire ballgame. This old man with bad feet needs to sit some of the time.

Our organization has phenomenal seats. The seats in front of us are even more phenomenal. Why pay all that money for SEATS and not use them for their intended purpose????

(Obviously you can still stand during big 3rd/4th downs and exciting plays. )

I work with a manager that seems very intelligent. Does well at his job. But I loathe having to talk to him because he is a habitual "like" user. I have found myself counting how many times he uses it in a single meeting. I generally lose count and interest after the first 30 or so. It baffles me that someone that seemingly intelligent doesn't hear himself and realize how many people that don't know him well likely think he is an idiot because of the way he speaks.

Being harassed by multiple salesman in a wholesale club that I pay a membership for. Go into my local BJs today and 20 feet into the door is a guy sitting at a table asking if I need any home improvement. Turn the corner, ATT booth with a guy asking who my carrier is/guarantees he can save me money. Waiting at the deli, guy walks up to me with an iPad asking if I’ve ever considered solar. Finally, walking out and a guy asks if I would be interested in one of those tub over tub bathroom replacements.

Being harassed by multiple salesman in a wholesale club that I pay a membership for. Go into my local BJs today and 20 feet into the door is a guy sitting at a table asking if I need any home improvement. Turn the corner, ATT booth with a guy asking who my carrier is/guarantees he can save me money. Waiting at the deli, guy walks up to me with an iPad asking if I’ve ever considered solar. Finally, walking out and a guy asks if I would be interested in one of those tub over tub bathroom replacements.

They have had a few of these in costco lately as well.... I'm hoping it is a short-lived trend.

People who say things in an effort to sound intelligent that are actually incorrect, eg, "between you and I", pronouncing mischievous as "mis-CHEE-vee-us"

I have two of these I deal with regularly. The “you know” guy is very smart and generally articulate until I noticed our interactions increased recently. He throws a “you know” into virtually every sentence. The “whatnot“ guy is even worse, since he is senior executive in my organization and makes himself sound like an idiot. In addition to “whatnot” he also uses “and stuff” constantly. I even heard him say “and stuff and stuff” one time.

Im getting irritated just typing this.
You know, I think you make a good point. :lol:

Ambiguously phrased medical history forms. If the answer matters, phrase it clearly. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

"Are you under the care of a physician?" - for 50 years I assumed this was just asking if I have regular check-ups. Now I'm unsure if it's that, or asking if I have a current problem that I'm being treated for.

"Are you sexually active?" - When I was a teenager/20s I assumed this was a question about whether I had ever had sex. Now I'm pretty sure it's not that, but don't know if the yes/no threshold is about frequency? Number of different partners?

"Do you have headaches?" - Doesn't everyone have SOME headaches? How often is enough to mention?

If a store allows such parasitic salespeople to harass their customers, I would think hard before entering the store again. For a membership club, that is grounds for canceling my membership.

If a store allows such parasitic salespeople to harass their customers, I would think hard before entering the store again. For a membership club, that is grounds for canceling my membership.
Related to that, I don't want adverts in my online bank info. Stuff it.

Ambiguously phrased medical history forms. If the answer matters, phrase it clearly. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

"Are you under the care of a physician?" - for 50 years I assumed this was just asking if I have regular check-ups. Now I'm unsure if it's that, or asking if I have a current problem that I'm being treated for.

"Are you sexually active?" - When I was a teenager/20s I assumed this was a question about whether I had ever had sex. Now I'm pretty sure it's not that, but don't know if the yes/no threshold is about frequency? Number of different partners?

"Do you have headaches?" - Doesn't everyone have SOME headaches? How often is enough to mention?
I just had to fill one of these out this morning for my annual audiogram. The form listed 87 different ailments (Headaches was on there, as was Allergies, and Coughing, and Diarrhea, etc. The question said "Do you have any of these?" and the options are:

1. Yes
2. In the past
3. Never

What constitutes me saying Yes? If I have one of them at this very moment? What if it was last week? I've had half of these in the past, and probably will have them again in the future, so do I mark Yes or In the Past? Does In the Past secretly mean "I used to but not anymore?" I ended up just marking Never for everything because ultimately I figured I'm there for an audiogram only, this isn't my regular doctor's office, they don't really need to know my history because they're not going to examine me or "do anything" to me.

I'm juuuust a bit over "influencers". Most seem like a major waste of time.
I was never "under" influencers. Like ever. Never saw the point.
One of my main takeaways from the Fyre Festival documentary is that I'm not cut out for the event business. If you would have come to me and told me you wanted to pay 6 figures to influencers to talk up your event, I would have said it was a stupid waste of money. Instead, having a bunch of 20-somethings gush on social media that "ZOMG FYRE FESTIVAL IS GONNA BE LIT" totally worked. Just baffling.

I guess this could go in the commercials thread. But there are a few radio ads I have heard lately where some, presumably younger woman, is talking and she draws out the last consonant sound of her words. it annoys me to no end. Hard to describe, and ever harder to type it out so it makes sense, but when you hear it, you'll know what I mean

Why do fast food drive throughs all put the menu in a spot where you can't see it until you're at the front of the line of cars and the person taking orders is impatiently asking what you want?
Or worse, when some of the menu is blocked by the speaker or something else.

I suspect they don't care about this kind of stuff anymore because they'd rather you use their app.

Why do fast food drive throughs all put the menu in a spot where you can't see it until you're at the front of the line of cars and the person taking orders is impatiently asking what you want?
In case there is no line. If you were back looking at the sign, other cars would use that opportunity to cut you, or honk and scream if they can't get around you. That WOULD create some epic battles and accidents. I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess. And yes, it annoys me also that its so close to ordering. A cheap second sign would be the answer imo.

Renumbering highway exits. I am in the Greater Boston area, and someone had the great idea of increasing the numbers of the exits by like 43 or 51 or some random number. On top of that, they also decided things that had directional letters (N-S-E-W) needed to be changed (now A-B-C-D). To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any new entrances or exits, they aren't building any new connectors or flyovers, and literally everything about the highway system is slated to stay the same. THEN WHY ARE THEY CHANGING ALL THE EXIT NUMBERS!!!!!! I used to know where I was going with the old numbering system (say Exit 36E). Now I have no idea what the new number of the exit I want is (that exit now could by Exit 81C for all I know) . . . or when it's coming up to get in the proper line to exit). D-U-M-B.

I guess this could go in the commercials thread. But there are a few radio ads I have heard lately where some, presumably younger woman, is talking and she draws out the last consonant sound of her words. it annoys me to no end. Hard to describe, and ever harder to type it out so it makes sense, but when you hear it, you'll know what I mean
it's called "vocal fry" and was wildly common for a few years but seems to have tailed off for the most part.

kind of an evolution of the Valley Girl affect updated and popularized for the 2000s.

I'm juuuust a bit over "influencers". Most seem like a major waste of time.

I am pretty sure i can go months without knowing that influencers exist. Influencers seem to be relegated to a certain part of the internet that i do not go to.
Cannot achieve no influencer status until you are also ignoring whoever brought this influencer to your attention.

Yeah influencers are lame. So great, don't follow them.

But if you are watching some other content where they make you annoyed by showing how terrible influencers are, that's the thing that needs to be gone from your life, not the influencer

Renumbering highway exits. I am in the Greater Boston area, and someone had the great idea of increasing the numbers of the exits by like 43 or 51 or some random number. On top of that, they also decided things that had directional letters (N-S-E-W) needed to be changed (now A-B-C-D). To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any new entrances or exits, they aren't building any new connectors or flyovers, and literally everything about the highway system is slated to stay the same. THEN WHY ARE THEY CHANGING ALL THE EXIT NUMBERS!!!!!! I used to know where I was going with the old numbering system (say Exit 36E). Now I have no idea what the new number of the exit I want is (that exit now could by Exit 81C for all I know) . . . or when it's coming up to get in the proper line to exit). D-U-M-B.
The Feds mandated that Interstate exit numbers reflect the closest mile marker (which is based on how far they are into that particular state, going from west to east and from south to north). It's even worse outside New England where there is more mileage within each state.

If these aren't interstates, then no idea.

The Feds mandated that Interstate exit numbers reflect the closest mile marker (which is based on how far they are into that particular state, going from west to east and from south to north). It's even worse outside New England where there is more mileage within each state.

Yeah the old random exit numbers suck. Mileage exit numbers ftw

it's called "vocal fry" and was wildly common for a few years but seems to have tailed off for the most part.

kind of an evolution of the Valley Girl affect updated and popularized for the 2000s.
Had no idea it actually had a name! Learned something new!

Old were sequencial

This is a epidemic of crisis proportions in NYC. Every white woman under the age of 35, seemingly. It's awful.

only reason i know this is because of an NPR news story some years ago. pretty sure they pointed to Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie as the reason for the spike in this type of speech.

Old were sequencial
Well yeah. So are these. if I'm traveling I know the distance between exit 31 and exit 54. I don't know the difference between 6 and 7. And then if they build a new exit what it's going to be 6.5?

Old were sequencial
Well yeah. So are these. if I'm traveling I know the distance between exit 31 and exit 54. I don't know the difference between 6 and 7. And then if they build a new exit what it's going to be 6.5?
6A. See 7A and 8A on the NJ Turnpike. Both added after the turnpike opened.

Old were sequencial
Exactly!!!!! I can't wait for them to change the NJ turnpike.

Old were sequencial
Dunno if the rule applies to roads that are controlled by state authorities — and the portion below exit 6 isn’t part of the interstate system.

Old were sequencial
Dunno if the rule applies to roads that are controlled by state authorities — and the portion below exit 6 isn’t part of the interstate system.
Am I still on route 700? I thought that ended lol

Sponsored listings showing up first in product searches on Amazon, eBay, etc.

I get when I put in generic search terms - sure, show me the sponsored ones first. But when I put in a very specific search with the brand and actual name of the product, I don't want to scroll through multiple sponsored items that are only loosely related before getting to the one I was obviously looking for.

Old were sequencial
Yes, and that was a dumb way to do it. You end up with Exit 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, etc because of that

Users who are viewing this thread