What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (6 Viewers)

People who knock on your front door and then try to open it. This happens more often than you think. Just last weekend some dude with a clipboard was walking around the neighborhood. I usually never open the door for this type of solicitation and I did not in this case. He knocked, then 5 seconds later knocked again and immediately tried the door handle. What do people expect is going to happen if they manage to open the door? Like I'm going to be interested in their stupid ******** all of a sudden? If I ever forget to lock the door and I see some solicitor open my door, they might end up getting the sharp end of my fireplace poker.
What??
What happens if the door isn’t locked, he walks in? Seems like a good way to get shot
My thoughts exactly. Yikes.

Gotta be in some serious suburbia if this is a common occurrence.
Portland, Or.

I don't know what's going through their mind. How does the scenario play out in their head when they open the door and I'm there running for the nearest weapon?

People who knock on your front door and then try to open it. This happens more often than you think. Just last weekend some dude with a clipboard was walking around the neighborhood. I usually never open the door for this type of solicitation and I did not in this case. He knocked, then 5 seconds later knocked again and immediately tried the door handle. What do people expect is going to happen if they manage to open the door? Like I'm going to be interested in their stupid ******** all of a sudden? If I ever forget to lock the door and I see some solicitor open my door, they might end up getting the sharp end of my fireplace poker.
What??
What happens if the door isn’t locked, he walks in? Seems like a good way to get shot

Portland, Or.

I don't know what's going through their mind. How does the scenario play out in their head when they open the door and I'm there running for the nearest weapon?
imo, the only non-relatives/best friends who try your door handle after no one answers their ring or knock are people trying to break in to your house

my experience here is limited to one incident as a kid and a couple in college so may not be totally accurate, but there's no reason to test a door lock if you aren't intending to enter.

What??

Portland, Or.

imo, the only non-relatives/best friends who try your door handle after no one answers their ring or knock are people trying to break in to your house

my experience here is limited to one incident as a kid and a couple in college so may not be totally accurate, but there's no reason to test a door lock if you aren't intending to enter.

I know, but this last one was literally a person from PBS going door to door asking for money. I recognize the vests they wear and they come through the neighborhoods a lot. This has happened three times over having lived here two and a half years. And those are just the times I'm aware of. All three were different people though, all looked like solicitors/jehovah's witnesses. They went to everyone's door.

I do enjoy going to conferences but the number one thing I cannot stand; the people. Every time I go, it's just astounding to me the lack of respect and manners that are put on display by people that are supposed to be professionals.
Showing up late for sessions, being on your phone, computer or tablet and the most annoying of all, having a conversation with someone while the speaker is talking. I mean, what the hell is the matter with you?

I was at a networking event yesterday morning that was catered. I watched this dude spill his coffee on the floor, look down on it and just walked away. Never mind that there were napkins a couple feet away.

I was going to calmly teach him how to clean up after himself but instead just dropped a few napkins on the ground, used my foot to clean it up and threw it away.

What??

Portland, Or.

I know, but this last one was literally a person from PBS going door to door asking for money. I recognize the vests they wear and they come through the neighborhoods a lot. This has happened three times over having lived here two and a half years. And those are just the times I'm aware of. All three were different people though, all looked like solicitors/jehovah's witnesses. They went to everyone's door.

Sometimes criminals dress up like door to door salespeople so they don't raise suspicion as they try find unlocked doors. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but this person was either a criminal or one of the dumbest people on the planet. Anyone trying that should get the police called on them.

What??

Portland, Or.

Sometimes criminals dress up like door to door salespeople so they don't raise suspicion as they try find unlocked doors. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but this person was either a criminal or one of the dumbest people on the planet. Anyone trying that should get the police called on them.

I'm guessing they were the latter. I forgot to say, 2 of the three were elderly women. The other was the nerdiest looking guy imaginable.

How about people getting their estate planning or investment or medical advice from random dudes on a fantasy football message board instead of seeking out licensed professionals?

Anything to save a few bucks, I guess...
Every penny counts. Especially when all your dollars are now gone.

How about people getting their estate planning or investment or medical advice from random dudes on a fantasy football message board instead of seeking out licensed professionals?

Pretty much all the advice came down to "consult a lawyer".

Is this really a pet peeve of yours or are you just taking shots at fellow FBGs? Folks asking for information so they can make more informed decisions is a pet peeve? That’s an odd take.

Personally, I and many others find this board to be an invaluable source of info from good hearted individuals from all walks of life. We have lawyers, veterans, doctors, scientists, home inspectors, real estate moguls, mortgage lenders, boat builders, millionaires, athletes and so many more that have been there and done that. I doubt many, if any use this place as their only resource, rather rely on the collective pool of experiences from others.

This is a community. Even if we don’t always get along, we still help each other. It’s no different than asking a good friend for a little advice prior to speaking to the professionals.

This thread is 134 pages long so this may have been said. But when there is a driving scene in a movie or TV show and the driver is looking at the passenger far too long. Wife and I always see it and say "Annnnd crash!" You just cant look at the passenger seat person that long without veering off the path. Dumb

This thread is 134 pages long so this may have been said. But when there is a driving scene in a movie or TV show and the driver is looking at the passenger far too long. Wife and I always see it and say "Annnnd crash!" You just cant look at the passenger seat person that long without veering off the path. Dumb
So common, it was used for comic effect in Two and a Half Men.

Speaking of movies and tv, childhood flashbacks where people see themselves in the 3rd person. I remember people and locations but not what I looked like during the event.

what’s the deal with people who refuse to merge in *behind* you?
/Seinfeld

Yesterday I’m getting on the freeway - there’s ample room behind me. I’m signaling left to merge left into (light) traffic, and some bozo gasses it, hard charges ahead of me where there’s barely a car-length to the car ahead of me, only to then have to brake hard, cutting me off because they’re taking the exit (same on/off that I’m entering from).

All they had to do is slow down like, 1 mph, merge in behind me (at least 8 car lengths available) and take the ****ing exit.

It happens all the time. What TF is wrong with people?

People turn weird when they get behind a wheel. Like everything is a competition.

This isn't the top reason why I'm excited for driverless cars but it's way up there. Too many idiots driving around.

I mentioned in another thread how people drive like idiots in Oregon. Here's the most aggravating example from the past two years, and it happens consistently every day by at least 90 percent of the drivers (my scientific studies bear that out):

I'm in somewhat of a smaller town surrounded by a bunch of country roads to other even smaller towns, but there's a lot of traffic.

I travel around a lot officiating high school sports. So I've gone in every direction on all the various two-lane country roads through mostly farmland. On all of the major two-lane roads, there will be a 55 mph speed limit. The roads are all busy enough that it's very rare that you would ever have an opportunity to pass someone.

But there will then usually be very sporadic passing lanes (maybe one on my entire 30-mile trip on a given day). There will be signs alerting you to the fact that it's coming up. But they're all pretty short. So you do have to be ready to speed around the morons that you've just tailgated at 48 mph for the last 10 miles before the passing lane runs out.

Now, you might be thinking, oh, I bet they don't move out of the way or something. In other words, they'll stay in the new left lane. I only wish that was the problem. If it was, I'd just pass them on the right. But, no, that's not it.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE @)(*%)(*@)(&@$)(@&) who just spent the last 10 miles going 48 in a 55, will absolutely floor it as soon as they get to the passing lanes. Like, I know it's coming, and I'll put the hammer down and speed immediately up to like 80 and a lot of times I can't pass them before the passing lane runs out.

And, you guessed it, as soon as it goes back down to one lane, they go back down to 48.

I swear on your mother's life.

I mentioned in another thread how people drive like idiots in Oregon. Here's the most aggravating example from the past two years, and it happens consistently every day by at least 90 percent of the drivers (my scientific studies bear that out):

I'm in somewhat of a smaller town surrounded by a bunch of country roads to other even smaller towns, but there's a lot of traffic.

I travel around a lot officiating high school sports. So I've gone in every direction on all the various two-lane country roads through mostly farmland. On all of the major two-lane roads, there will be a 55 mph speed limit. The roads are all busy enough that it's very rare that you would ever have an opportunity to pass someone.

But there will then usually be very sporadic passing lanes (maybe one on my entire 30-mile trip on a given day). There will be signs alerting you to the fact that it's coming up. But they're all pretty short. So you do have to be ready to speed around the morons that you've just tailgated at 48 mph for the last 10 miles before the passing lane runs out.

Now, you might be thinking, oh, I bet they don't move out of the way or something. In other words, they'll stay in the new left lane. I only wish that was the problem. If it was, I'd just pass them on the right. But, no, that's not it.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE @)(*%)(*@)(&@$)(@&) who just spent the last 10 miles going 48 in a 55, will absolutely floor it as soon as they get to the passing lanes. Like, I know it's coming, and I'll put the hammer down and speed immediately up to like 80 and a lot of times I can't pass them before the passing lane runs out.

And, you guessed it, as soon as it goes back down to one lane, they go back down to 48.

I think it's a game they play, the longest caravan wins.

Keeping with the driving theme - people that constantly change speeds on the freeway. Once a week I visit a customer site that is ~200 miles away from me. Speed limit is 70, and I set my cruise on 74 and just chill, it's an easy drive, heavily populated with cars for only maybe 20 of the 200 miles. It always amazes me how many times I'll pass someone, and then within a few minutes here they come again passing me, and hauling bootie when they do it. And about half the time that happens, I'll end up passing them again at some point further down the road. I don't guess it has much affect on me so not sure why it's a peeve of mine but it just irks me when people vary their speeds that much.

Keeping with the driving theme - people that constantly change speeds on the freeway. Once a week I visit a customer site that is ~200 miles away from me. Speed limit is 70, and I set my cruise on 74 and just chill, it's an easy drive, heavily populated with cars for only maybe 20 of the 200 miles. It always amazes me how many times I'll pass someone, and then within a few minutes here they come again passing me, and hauling bootie when they do it. And about half the time that happens, I'll end up passing them again at some point further down the road. I don't guess it has much affect on me so not sure why it's a peeve of mine but it just irks me when people vary their speeds that much.
Maybe it's you and your busted up cruise control

What??

Portland, Or.

I'm guessing they were the latter. I forgot to say, 2 of the three were elderly women. The other was the nerdiest looking guy imaginable.
I don't care who they were, this is simply incomprehensible to me. In Texas, their life span, despite their age, sex or race, would be approximately 15 minutes. That's not an attempt at a brag, just a sad truth.

What??

Portland, Or.

I don't care who they were, this is simply incomprehensible to me. In Texas, their life span, despite their age, sex or race, would be approximately 15 minutes. That's not an attempt at a brag, just a sad truth.
Right?

Same thing here and I’m pretty far from Texas lol

I wish the country/world would adopt one universal sizing guideline for men's clothing. I absolutely cannot stand how one brand's XL is the equivalent of another brand's XXL. They should be made to all agree that a certain number of inches is S,M,L, etc. and have that be the standard everywhere. Not following it would be heavily punishable.

Also, I need to lose weight.

I wish the country/world would adopt one universal sizing guideline for men's clothing. I absolutely cannot stand how one brand's XL is the equivalent of another brand's XXL. They should be made to all agree that a certain number of inches is S,M,L, etc. and have that be the standard everywhere. Not following it would be heavily punishable.

Welcome to women's fashion for the last seventy years.

Brought my dog to the bar to chill after the being at the barber. Some drunk dude stumbles up to us mumbling something and then starts making out with my dog. SUPER ANNOYING when this happens!!
Maybe a higher class of bar?
My dog prefers these stools as its easier for him to sit on them. We done booths before, but I find we dont get the same service sitting in a booth compared to at the bar.

The same thing happens on a particular road here in wisconsin as well. So annoying.

I though women's sizes were more uniform. Isn't a size three a size three?

Until they no longer fit in a size 3 and start to blame the clothes manufacturer ;)

The same thing happens on a particular road here in wisconsin as well. So annoying.
26 between Oshkosh and Rosendale?

26 between Oshkosh and Rosendale?
It's just the ticket!!!

:no::no::no:

My mother was a legitimate size five. One day, she came home with a size ZERO dress that fit perfectly. WTF? What were the smaller women wearing? Imaginary numbers?

will have to dig but once read an interesting article about why women's sizing across various brands is so all over the map. feels like it was a Vanity Fair article, maybe.

all i really remember about it is thinking how furious i'd be having to grab 3-4 different sizes in every brand to have a chance at maybe one of them working out in the fitting room.

guys, you're a 34/32. you're going to be a 34/32 in every single brand available on the shelves.

will have to dig but once read an interesting article about why women's sizing across various brands is so all over the map. feels like it was a Vanity Fair article, maybe.

all i really remember about it is thinking how furious i'd be having to grab 3-4 different sizes in every brand to have a chance at maybe one of them working out in the fitting room.

guys, you're a 34/32. you're going to be a 34/32 in every single brand available on the shelves.
I will say this - when I buy golf shorts. I notice the black and blues run a touch smaller for some odd reason. I still wear the same size - but the darker always feel a touch snugger than the khaki color

I will say this - when I buy golf shorts. I notice the black and blues run a touch smaller for some odd reason. I still wear the same size - but the darker always feel a touch snugger than the khaki color
do the black and blue........ excite you?

The difference is that women are all over the board in body shape and curves. Men don't have curves to deal with in clothing sizing/tailoring.....if guys have a belly they just size up.

I do know Victoria's Secret bra sizing is way out of whack cuz they want women to feel like their chest is bigger than it really is. A 34DDD in Victoria Secret is a 34D in actual sizing when measured by a professional (and yes I have direct experience seeing this after an ex's bewb job)

Leaf blowers. Especially the leaf blowers parked outside my office window right now. There are two dudes with gigantic jet packs strapped to their backs and the sound like a million vuvuzelas. It's 10:45 in the morning. I had to tell a dude I'd call him back. ARGH!

Leaf blowers. Especially the leaf blowers parked outside my office window right now. There are two dudes with gigantic jet packs strapped to their backs and the sound like a million vuvuzelas. It's 10:45 in the morning. I had to tell a dude I'd call him back. ARGH!
The front door of our office is about 100 feet from a train tracks. Cargo trains all day long. And of course the dinging of the railroad crossing going up and down about 6 times a day......

Users who are viewing this thread