What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Changes you'd make to sports if it somehow wasn't about money (1 Viewer)

Soccer - needs trap doors and catapults. Yeah, land mines here as well.
I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games
Sporting KC? Gorgeous little stadium down there and fun atmosphere it looks like on TV
yes, very cool place...

But i've been to 2 games. 1-1 and 0-0 So i've been to 2 games, didn't get a result, and saw 2 scores and a bajillion FLOPS in 160 minutes of action. eff that
A tie is a result. It may even have been a good result for one team and a crappy one for the other.

I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games and watched a few euro league games... they are on to something there... they have continuous action, all gets done in a tidy 2 hours... it's just that 1-0 or 1-1 doesn't do it for me... and really shouldn't do it for anyone.

Make the requisite changes so that the average is just 3-2 and I'm a fan!
Oddly enough you just described hockey.

Seriously don't understand why you don't like hockey.

Sports should be separated completely from educational institutions at all levels.
The first seeds of this inevitable evolution have been planted. Technological advancements will gradually change the structure -- both educationally and physically -- of schools to the point where interscholastic sports will be completely unfeasible. It's an idea which has already way outlived its time.
I think as long as pro-leagues are allowed to have age floors more stringent than the at large labor age laws you'll have this problem to some degree. This semi-pro, farm system thing that's going on in baseball and football as a result is stupid. Remove the age limits, if you want to play for pay you can try to go pro. Otherwise enjoy a free college education and whatever else an athletic scholarship brings.

I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games and watched a few euro league games... they are on to something there... they have continuous action, all gets done in a tidy 2 hours... it's just that 1-0 or 1-1 doesn't do it for me... and really shouldn't do it for anyone.

Go to a live hockey game then. Surprised you said no hope there. Virtually continuous play, speed, precision, hard hits, hard shots, finesse, skill, tremendous work ethic and the guys stay out of trouble for the most part and defer to the team.
i've been to some minor league hockey games and i've been watching olympic hockey.

It's a fine game... i just can't relate to it because i can't skate... I've played soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, poker, etc... I just can't relate to ice hockey... at the core of it, the entire idea seems really dumb.
Go play it. So ####### fun.

It's like indoor soccer at a way faster speed and you can hit people.

Go to a live hockey game then. Surprised you said no hope there. Virtually continuous play, speed, precision, hard hits, hard shots, finesse, skill, tremendous work ethic and the guys stay out of trouble for the most part and defer to the team.
i've been to some minor league hockey games and i've been watching olympic hockey.

It's a fine game... i just can't relate to it because i can't skate... I've played soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, poker, etc... I just can't relate to ice hockey... at the core of it, the entire idea seems really dumb.
Go play it. So ####### fun.

It's like indoor soccer at a way faster speed and you can hit people.
The humor in the circumstance of a dentist playing ice hockey could only possibly be surpassed by a nose surgeon playing ice hockey.

Sporting KC? Gorgeous little stadium down there and fun atmosphere it looks like on TV
yes, very cool place...

But i've been to 2 games. 1-1 and 0-0 So i've been to 2 games, didn't get a result, and saw 2 scores and a bajillion FLOPS in 160 minutes of action. eff that
A tie is a result. It may even have been a good result for one team and a crappy one for the other.
yeah it's a result.. i suppose.. And i realize getting a tie on the road is a success for said road team.

But it's RIDICULOUS. Why even keep score if it's plausible for you to leave the contest without a winner and a loser.

yes, very cool place...

yeah it's a result.. i suppose.. And i realize getting a tie on the road is a success for said road team.

But it's RIDICULOUS. Why even keep score if it's plausible for you to leave the contest without a winner and a loser.
In games where their must be a winner or loser, like in a knock out round of a tournament, then there is OT and eventually pk's.

In a league game it is about points you acquire through out the season, not wins and losses per say. Three points for a win, one for a draw. The strategy of when to go for a win vs a draw is one of the fun items to watch for fans of the sport.

yes, very cool place...

In games where their must be a winner or loser, like in a knock out round of a tournament, then there is OT and eventually pk's.

In a league game it is about points you acquire through out the season, not wins and losses per say. Three points for a win, one for a draw. The strategy of when to go for a win vs a draw is one of the fun items to watch for fans of the sport.
great, then do that for every game. I paid for a ticket, give me a legitimate result.. a winner or a loser.. This isn't little league

I'm ok with 162 games in baseball, but the schedule is a mess. There needs to be more double headers. There needs to be more day games that kids can go to as well. MLB teams need to work within their regions with public school calendars to make sure there is a game if at all possible when school is out. Playoff games need to be during the day. The World Series needs to be during the day. Kids aren't staying up until first pitch at 9 when the game takes 4 hours on top of that.

I also am agreeing more and more that divisions and conferences and those breakdowns in all sports need to be done away with. Baseball needs to go back to just the AL and NL and balance the schedule completely with interleague. And pick a set a rules - DH or no DH throughout. I'd actually prefer no DH throughout, but I don't care as long as they pick one.

I would also get rid of September call ups and do that in April - the first month you have the expanded roster and then May 1 you drop down to 25 for the rest of the season.

yes, very cool place...

great, then do that for every game. I paid for a ticket, give me a legitimate result.. a winner or a loser.. This isn't little league
In this particular instance you're not looking very big picture-ish. A soccer league playing a home-and-away round robin schedule gives you exactly the kind of result you say you want. One game, even if it's the one you happen to be attending, is only a small part of determining which team is the best.

Sports should be separated completely from educational institutions at all levels.
The first seeds of this inevitable evolution have been planted. Technological advancements will gradually change the structure -- both educationally and physically -- of schools to the point where interscholastic sports will be completely unfeasible. It's an idea which has already way outlived its time.
I think as long as pro-leagues are allowed to have age floors more stringent than the at large labor age laws you'll have this problem to some degree. This semi-pro, farm system thing that's going on in baseball and football as a result is stupid. Remove the age limits, if you want to play for pay you can try to go pro. Otherwise enjoy a free college education and whatever else an athletic scholarship brings.
You're looking at this a little too narrowly. Middle schools and high schools will give up interscholastic sports first, possibly because there won't ever be enough kids physically congregated together at any one time. The days of the 1,000+ high school student bodies may already be numbered by the advance of educational tools and techniques. Teen competitive sports will be run by local governments, not the schools. The coaches, or at least the top local administrators, may become elected positions.

And after that, you might have colleges wondering if Northeastern isn't doing it right.

You're looking at this a little too narrowly. Middle schools and high schools will give up interscholastic sports first, possibly because there won't ever be enough kids physically congregated together at any one time. The days of the 1,000+ high school student bodies may already be numbered by the advance of educational tools and techniques. Teen competitive sports will be run by local governments, not the schools. The coaches, or at least the top local administrators, may become elected positions.

And after that, you might have colleges wondering if Northeastern isn't doing it right.
You're assuming schools are learning facilities and not institutionalized day care facilities. I think you're wrong in that assumption, particularly now when we've got both parents working in so many households. Maybe if we get to some point where people don't have to work for a living your ideas make sense, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

You're assuming schools are learning facilities and not institutionalized day care facilities. I think you're wrong in that assumption, particularly now when we've got both parents working in so many households. Maybe if we get to some point where people don't have to work for a living your ideas make sense, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
None of my thoughts are ever about soon. I've been advocating for legal use of marijuana since 1972.

But things change. And they're changing in the schools, too. There's more than one way to run a day care, we just haven't gotten around to talking about it yet.

NBA full court instant win shot. Now it doesn't matter how far down you are. A line on the court defines it. This would eliminate the 2 hours it takes to play the last 30 seconds. Nobody watched the current NBA crap anyway.

The "semi-pro" thing works perfectly for hockey. They've got the best system in place to move kids (16+) towards the pros. The other pro leagues need to take a look at how the CHL, AHL and NHL function together.

NBA full court instant win shot. Now it doesn't matter how far down you are. A line on the court defines it. This would eliminate the 2 hours it takes to play the last 30 seconds. Nobody watched the current NBA crap anyway.
somebody is watching it.

But if I had an NBA team in my own town, I would love it, but i can't even imagine trying to be a season ticket holder... 41 games?

like with baseball... 81 games.. yeah right.. i wouldn't even goto 81 games (even 1/2 of them actually) if i was retired and the games were free, and I really like baseball.

But I don't know WHY anyone would watch the NBA regular season.. the playoffs are PLENTY of basketball and it takes MONTHS to complete... I applaud the NBA for being the only league that CONSISTENTLY rewards the best team with the trophy, but I feel like they could still do it and eliminate one round from the playoffs.

1/2 the distance to the goal line should still be enforced on penalties, but you should have to gain the true yardage of the penalty to get a first down.

1st and 10 play from the 10 yard line results in a hold for a 10 yard penalty.

It's now 1st and 20 from the 5 (instead of 1st and 15) and the 1st down is now the 25 yard line (instead of remaining at the 20).

The "semi-pro" thing works perfectly for hockey. They've got the best system in place to move kids (16+) towards the pros. The other pro leagues need to take a look at how the CHL, AHL and NHL function together.
I think MLB and the minor leagues do a great job in baseball too. That and the NHL model are what I think football and basketball need to move to. NBA is sort of coming along with the D-League, but they need to open it up to all players of legal age to work - not just the current NBA age/college experience floor - and expand the number of teams.

Baseball - 3 balls a walk. Little quicker game and seems fair - why should you get more misses?
one of the worst trends in baseball was when sabermetric guys figured out that it was beneficial for guys to take pitches. Used to be a decent number of first pitch swing guys and you wouldn't see these 20 pitch duels where there was a million foul balls... it's horrible for baseball.

In the 80 and early 90's the Royals start time was 7:35 and games routinely ended around 10:00. Now they start at 7:10 are I feel lucky when they end around 10:00

At some point I don't want MORE.. I just want less and higher quality.

But for some reason (always money) companies just keep thinking i want more and more.. movies are getting longer... Anchorman 2 was nearly 2 HOURS... no comedy should be 2 HOURS. Wolf of Wall Street was 3 hours... it should've been 2:25

Baseball should be 2:30 on average... at this point if they can't fix it i'd be willing to goto 7 innings.. ANYTHING.

I think MLB and the minor leagues do a great job in baseball too. That and the NHL model are what I think football and basketball need to move to. NBA is sort of coming along with the D-League, but they need to open it up to all players of legal age to work - not just the current NBA age/college experience floor - and expand the number of teams.
My problem with the D-League is that the teams are not actual farm teams. IMO, each team should be forced to own a D-League team. From there:

-have two drafts. One for college/intl players and one for high school players (high school players would have to declare for NBA draft).

-if you're drafted from high school, you get a set deal and have to play in the D league for two years minimum

-if you choose the college route, you have to play for 3 years min.

Benefits:

-keeps the college system alive (probably makes it better since you'd have to stay in school for 3 years)

-vastly improves the D-League. Stick those teams in medium size cities near their parent team and they're going to sell a heck of a lot better than what they currently do (imagine LeBron in the D League for two years)

-the play in the D-League is terrible because the players couldn't care less about their team. They just want a contract. On a true farm team, they'd be getting much better, more directed coaching, improving the level of play.

-NBA play would also benefit by having kids more NBA ready by the time they're eligible for a call-up and protect them from having to dole out $XM contracts to 18 year old kids.

Baseball - 3 balls a walk. Little quicker game and seems fair - why should you get more misses?
one of the worst trends in baseball was when sabermetric guys figured out that it was beneficial for guys to take pitches. Used to be a decent number of first pitch swing guys and you wouldn't see these 20 pitch duels where there was a million foul balls... it's horrible for baseball.

In the 80 and early 90's the Royals start time was 7:35 and games routinely ended around 10:00. Now they start at 7:10 are I feel lucky when they end around 10:00

But for some reason (always money) companies just keep thinking i want more and more.. movies are getting longer... Anchorman 2 was nearly 2 HOURS... no comedy should be 2 HOURS. Wolf of Wall Street was 3 hours... it should've been 2:25

Baseball should be 2:30 on average... at this point if they can't fix it i'd be willing to goto 7 innings.. ANYTHING.
I do have to admit that as much as I love baseball as I get older run and business and have a family, having a clock that I know is going to hit zero at some pretty easily defined period is a hell of lot easier to deal with than first pitch and no end in sight.

I think what baseball needs to do beyond my play games when kids can actually see them idea is to change the rules for stepping off the mound and out of the box. Once you are in the batters box, you are in there unless a ball knocks you out or you try to get to first. No time outs. No readjusting your batting gloves 60 different ways. You go in and stay in. And the same thing with pitchers. Once you are on the rubber you stay there, catch the ball from the catcher, and you have a fairly hard 15 second clock to get the next pitch out. That's more than enough time to pick a pitch and get it back to the plate.

I think you kill a lot of dead time in baseball just doing that. Some of these guys (Jeter is one of them) would take 5 minutes between pitches if he could get away with it.

That's why I suggested making the strike zone bigger. Also enforce the rules against guys leaning out into the strike zone. There's this assumption that people want high scoring games, I'm not sure that's true, but you can't have higher scoring games and shorter games in baseball.

That's why I suggested making the strike zone bigger. Also enforce the rules against guys leaning out into the strike zone. There's this assumption that people want high scoring games, I'm not sure that's true, but you can't have higher scoring games and shorter games in baseball.
They don't need to expand the strike zone - they just need to enforce the one that is written. But tomato tomahto. I agree. There needs to be more called strikes.

My problem with the D-League is that the teams are not actual farm teams. IMO, each team should be forced to own a D-League team. From there:

-have two drafts. One for college/intl players and one for high school players (high school players would have to declare for NBA draft).

-if you're drafted from high school, you get a set deal and have to play in the D league for two years minimum

Benefits:

-keeps the college system alive (probably makes it better since you'd have to stay in school for 3 years)

-vastly improves the D-League. Stick those teams in medium size cities near their parent team and they're going to sell a heck of a lot better than what they currently do (imagine LeBron in the D League for two years)

-the play in the D-League is terrible because the players couldn't care less about their team. They just want a contract. On a true farm team, they'd be getting much better, more directed coaching, improving the level of play.

-NBA play would also benefit by having kids more NBA ready by the time they're eligible for a call-up and protect them from having to dole out $XM contracts to 18 year old kids.
I like your ideas. Although I often consider an end to the current contract system altogether. That'd probably be too chaotic for people to handle though.

They don't need to expand the strike zone - they just need to enforce the one that is written. But tomato tomahto. I agree. There needs to be more called strikes.
I said that above too - enforce what's on the books. There is no high strike anymore.

I think we all THOUGHT we wanted higher scoring games until we realized that that meant significantly longer games, more pitcher changes, etc.

We thought we wanted video game numbers for home runs and stuff... but we don't.

I like a good solid 3-2, 4-2 kind of baseball game I don't really want 1-0 deadball era stuff, but even WORSE than that is 10-8 kind of stuff with 3.5 hour games.

I think your strike zone idea is good, as is the "shot clock" for pitchers and not letting batters step out. That not only cuts time, but cuts time that has NO VALUE at all to the fan at the park or on TV.

Does TV or the stadium have motivation though to speed it up? do longer games generate more revenue through additional ads or additional concession sales?

Benefits:

I like your ideas. Although I often consider an end to the current contract system altogether. That'd probably be too chaotic for people to handle though.
Let's hear it. Chaos is hugely underrated. Hell, I'm all for ending pro sports drafts.

:goodposting:

Basketball - you get fouled you get choice of ball and fresh clock or shots....no more fouling strategy...

Benefits:

Let's hear it. Chaos is hugely underrated. Hell, I'm all for ending pro sports drafts.
No more drafts. At will employment + players can "quit" whenever they want and try to get a job elsewhere. Like I said - total chaos, probably some teams folding (unless they expanded revenue sharing) because they can't secure quality talent.

A player would be considered "tackled" in football when somebody from the other team penetrated them. Did I mention that players wouldn't wear pants? Players wouldn't wear pants.

Hockey is one of the few sports that is better live than on TV.

An American football game could be tidily wrapped up in two hours with no commercial interruptions and a little rethinking of how the clock should work. An average NFL game has 130 plays in it. With about six seconds a play and 25 seconds to spot the ball and snap it again, those 130 plays should take about 70 minutes to run. We should stop timing the effing game altogether and just make it 130 plays long. There's no reason to stop the #######ed clock just because the ball went out of bounds or the pass was dropped.

Also, closed leagues are a crime against the American fan.
Watched some Rugby Sevens this weekend. Their clock worked like soccer; didn't stop except for major injury. It was also only 7 and 10 minute halves. Wicked quick games!!! Their tournament had them play multiple games in a day. Tons of fun to watch.

fans could throw #### at golfers
I'm all for ending the ridiculous "silence" aspect of golf.
and tennis.

every other athlete can perform under pressure... why can't these shmucks?
Do know much about Tennis, but golf the guy has to concentrate, so I understand the need for quiet. At least can we get rid of the Fan who screams after a drive? Those guys are truly annoying.

Hockey is one of the few sports that is better live than on TV.

An American football game could be tidily wrapped up in two hours with no commercial interruptions and a little rethinking of how the clock should work. An average NFL game has 130 plays in it. With about six seconds a play and 25 seconds to spot the ball and snap it again, those 130 plays should take about 70 minutes to run. We should stop timing the effing game altogether and just make it 130 plays long. There's no reason to stop the #######ed clock just because the ball went out of bounds or the pass was dropped.

Also, closed leagues are a crime against the American fan.
Watched some Rugby Sevens this weekend. Their clock worked like soccer; didn't stop except for major injury. It was also only 7 and 10 minute halves. Wicked quick games!!! Their tournament had them play multiple games in a day. Tons of fun to watch.

fans could throw #### at golfers
I'm all for ending the ridiculous "silence" aspect of golf.
and tennis.

every other athlete can perform under pressure... why can't these shmucks?
Do know much about Tennis, but golf the guy has to concentrate, so I understand the need for quiet. At least can we get rid of the Fan who screams after a drive? Those guys are truly annoying.
do they have to concentrate any more than a guy hitting a clutch free throw in the final seconds of the game? How about anymore than a QB who's trying to lead a last second drive in the super bowl.

Baloney... those golfers and tennis guys should have to suffer through noise also.

Only argument they have going in tennis is that I think a decent amount of the way you read the ball can come from the sound it makes coming off the racket

I'd mandate short shorts in all pro sports... Except hockey, it's perfect - all the players are down to earth, there is constant action, and did I mention how tough and athletic all the players are? To summarize, all sports are awful, except hockey, it is perfect. Did I mention how tough and athletic all the players are? Imagine running a marathon in 10 minutes... Now do it on ice skates while wearing 60 pounds of gear. Did I mention how approachable all the players are?

Baseball: Make plug-outs (peg-outs whatever) legal. To make it fair the batter can carry the bat with him around the bases.
Would the batter be allowed to get a hit from first base? Could he lead off towards the mound and hit a pick-off attempt into left field to get to second?

Or is the bat just for elbows and knees?

Basketball - you get fouled you get choice of ball and fresh clock or shots....no more fouling strategy...
I think you're on to something, but they'd still stop the clock and have another good chance at a steal on the inbounds play.How about one foul shot + the ball starting with 5 minutes left in the game for non-shooting fouls committed against a team leading by 8 or more points. Shooting fouls are two shots (three on a 3-pointer) + the ball.

In the last two minutes it goes to two foul shots + the ball.

Makes the first 35 minutes of a college game much more meaningful in determining the outcome. Add in my earlier idea about one time out per half and it will be almost non-stop action throughout until the end and quicker games. :crazy: after re-reading that mess.

Users who are viewing this thread