What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Changes you'd make to sports if it somehow wasn't about money (1 Viewer)

NFL- Narrow goal posts by 3 feet on each side. Before soccer style kickers great kickers were around 60-65% That is a good risk factor. Narrowing the FG width would put way more of a risk factor into the game. Go for it Or kick? Be more aggressive instead of trying for a 3?

NFL- Narrow goal posts by 3 feet on each side. Before soccer style kickers great kickers were around 60-65% That is a good risk factor. Narrowing the FG width would put way more of a risk factor into the game. Go for it Or kick? Be more aggressive instead of trying for a 3?
agree, field goals are boring and those guys have gotten so good it's time to punish them for their success like a democratic congress

Soccer - get rid of the dumb offsides rule.
I used to completely agree with you here and think that rule was stupid.

However, I had it explained to me by someone in the know in the soccer world how that rule is important and getting rid of it would damage the game.

In a complex discussion i had with a bunch of soccer guys over how to fix the game (that of course they didn't realize needed fixing).. i proposed a lot of things to increase scoring.. bigger goal, smaller field, not allowing the goalie to have gloves, smaller soccer ball, having one player that could only play on the offensive side of the field thus creating constant 11 on 10 matchups, etc.

Anyway.. after a lot of beers and them tiring of my conversation we deduced that larger goal was the only reasonable option.

The take home being... yes, these are the type of conversations i have with my RL friends also over beers.

Basketball - you get fouled you get choice of ball and fresh clock or shots....no more fouling strategy...
I think you're on to something, but they'd still stop the clock and have another good chance at a steal on the inbounds play.How about one foul shot + the ball starting with 5 minutes left in the game for non-shooting fouls committed against a team leading by 8 or more points. Shooting fouls are two shots (three on a 3-pointer) + the ball.

In the last two minutes it goes to two foul shots + the ball.

Makes the first 35 minutes of a college game much more meaningful in determining the outcome. Add in my earlier idea about one time out per half and it will be almost non-stop action throughout until the end and quicker games. :crazy: after re-reading that mess.
I don't think you need to get that complex...to avoid the inbounds issue, if they choose possession, they get the ball in the backcourt with the opponent starting in the frontcourt.

Sports should be separated completely from educational institutions at all levels.
The first seeds of this inevitable evolution have been planted. Technological advancements will gradually change the structure -- both educationally and physically -- of schools to the point where interscholastic sports will be completely unfeasible. It's an idea which has already way outlived its time.
:lmao:

Basketball. A sport that could be great. Eliminate the last four minutes takes an eternity crap which punishes a team that's built a lead by turning it into a hack-a-thon, free throw shooting contest. The team that gets fouled gets to chose whether it takes the free throws or takes it out of bounds with a clock reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, I had it explained to me by someone in the know in the soccer world how that rule is important and getting rid of it would damage the game.

Anyway.. after a lot of beers and them tiring of my conversation we deduced that larger goal was the only reasonable option.
yeah, getting rid of the offside rule is a non starter. The game would simply not work. The rule could be tweaked but it can not be eliminated.

As a soccer fan, I always thought there was one very simple rule change that would not disrupt thousands and thousands of soccer fields around the world by forcing new sized goal posts to be purchased.

I would just simply limit the keeper to only use his hands inside of the 6 yard box instead of inside of the entire 18 yard box. So many crosses are handled by the keeper and that would be mostly gone, allowing for significantly more scoring chances per game.

Sports should be separated completely from educational institutions at all levels.
The first seeds of this inevitable evolution have been planted. Technological advancements will gradually change the structure -- both educationally and physically -- of schools to the point where interscholastic sports will be completely unfeasible. It's an idea which has already way outlived its time.
There's a place where sports teams are already separate from schools at all levels. It's a place called, "everywhere in the world outside the US."

Allow open hit-by-pitch in College and MLB. #### walks. If a batter gets three balls it's open season on the next pitch. Get out of the way, strike out, or wear one in the hip.

Horse Racing - allow horses to come back and defend their Derby titles... only being eligible once is dumb.
Like your initial post, but this idea sucks. You get one shot to win a Kentucky Derby. As a 3 year old. Period. That being said, champions can defend their Breeder's Cup titles. Several have repeated, including Mizdirection (Jim Rome's horse) and Wise Dan last year, and one horse (Goldikova) won 3 in a row.The following horses have won the same Breeders' Cup race at least twice:

Classic: Tiznow (2000, 2001)

Filly & Mare Turf: Ouija Board (2004, 2006)

Distaff: Bayakoa (1989, 1990), Royal Delta (2011, 2012) From 2008 to 2012, this race was known as the Ladies' Classic.

Mile: Miesque (1987, 1988), Lure (1992, 1993), Da Hoss (1996, 1998), Goldikova (2008, 2009, 2010), Wise Dan (2012, 2013)

Sprint: Midnight Lute (2007, 2008)

Turf: High Chaparral (2002, 2003), Conduit (2008, 2009)

Turf Sprint: Mizdirection (2012, 2013)

Filly & Mare Sprint: Groupie Doll (2012, 2013)

The following horse(s) have won two different Breeders' Cup races:

Zenyatta, Distaff in 2008, Classic in 2009.

Beholder, Juvenile Fillies in 2012, Distaff in 2013

Secret Circle, Juvenile Sprint in 2011, Sprint in 2013

The following horse(s) have won the same Breeders' Cup race three times:

Goldikova, Mile (2008, 2009, 2010).

The oldest horse to win a Breeders' Cup race is Calidiscopio, age 9, who won the Breeders' Cup Marathon in 2012.

Baseball - 3 balls a walk. Little quicker game and seems fair - why should you get more misses?
But for some reason (always money) companies just keep thinking i want more and more.. movies are getting longer... Anchorman 2 was nearly 2 HOURS... no comedy should be 2 HOURS. Wolf of Wall Street was 3 hours... it should've been 2:25
Movies are horrible because they are too short. Everything has to wrap up in 90 minutes, plot be damned.

Mr. Ected said:
Short Corner said:
Rove! said:
Basketball - you get fouled you get choice of ball and fresh clock or shots....no more fouling strategy...
Football - no more grounding outside of the pocket or spiking to stop the clock. Also restart the clock when the ball is respotted.
Should the NFL get the clock stop to re-spot the ball on a first down like NCAA?
hell no

For Nascar:

Have them race all season to get down to the top 16 drivers. Have a Nascar SuperTournament at the end of the year. Seed the drives 1-16 based on how they finished the end of the year.

Have a single elimination tournament. So driver 16 faces driver 1 in the first round. 10 laps, winner advances. So they do it bracket style until 2 remain. Then they run a 25 lap, winner take all for the championship.

No pit stops. Just balls to the wall racing to advance and win.

NFL: If a player has to leave the game twice for injury (meaning, that the refs have to stop the clock to allow trainers to come get him) then that player is not allowed to re-enter the game. That should put an end to players faking injury to stop the clock.

For Nascar:

Have them race all season to get down to the top 16 drivers. Have a Nascar SuperTournament at the end of the year. Seed the drives 1-16 based on how they finished the end of the year.

Have a single elimination tournament. So driver 16 faces driver 1 in the first round. 10 laps, winner advances. So they do it bracket style until 2 remain. Then they run a 25 lap, winner take all for the championship.

No pit stops. Just balls to the wall racing to advance and win.
That would make the playoffs as exciting as the old qualifying format. :sleep:

for nascar, end your season before the nfl starts

for NHL, MLB, and NBA, shorten your season, a LOT

for all pro leagues, less teams in the playoffs

and finally, for NCAA football, go to a central scheduling system so teams cannot choose to play the McDonalds Burger College football team

NCAA Division 1 football: Make 8 conferences of 12 teams. Top 2 teams in each conference play for the conference championship. The 8 conference champs go to they playoffs.

The schedule could be that you play each conference opponent once, or play 9 conference games and 2 out-of-conference games (which don't count toward standings, so there's no penalty for playing a top team from another conference).

I like the relegation idea. The bottom team in each conference gets relegated and the top 8 Division 2 teams get promoted.

Users who are viewing this thread