What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Changes you'd make to sports if it somehow wasn't about money (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
There are a lot of things fans of a variety of sports would do to change the sport - i'm sure of this - but many of the changes one might make to their favorite sport may result in that sport generating less revenue, and since sports are a business, that change won't happen.

But let's live in fantasy land and flesh out the changes you'd make to your favorite sports (or maybe changes that would cause you to follow a sport you don't watch).

MLB - shorter season (100 games sounds right) - whatever changes are necessary to make the average game time get back down to 2 hours 15-30 min, all teams play under the same rules, all playoff series are best of 7 games (WS - best of 11)

NBA - shorter regular season (honestly about 50 games sounds right) - less teams make playoffs, but keep best of 7 format.. something must be done in basketball in general to clean up the last 2 min of a game to get rid of the ridiculous end of game fouling strategy. Rim to raise to 11 ft for pros.

NFL - season length of 16 seems great - eliminate divisions, less teams make playoffs, Superbowl Saturday... take measures to reduce game time which is swelling towards 3 hr. 30 min back down to under 3 hrs (shorter play clock?)

Tennis - 4 majors - Australian Open in March, French Open in early May, Wimbledon in July, US Open in mid-September (every major has a roof to use for minimizing rain delays), less masters tournaments, longer off-season

Soccer - increase goal size by 15-20% to make scoring a less random encounter and thus reduce the incidence of ties which plague the sport.

Nascar - I don't think anything they could do would get me to watch

Hockey - I don't think anything they could do would get me to watch

College Football - eliminate all conferences - Division 1 is split up into sections (like euro soccer) Best 30 teams, next 30 teams, next 30 teams, etc. Eliminate the ridiculous blowout games where Alabama is favored by like 50 over some team (that's not a sport), run it more like a legit sports league. Bottom 5 teams drop into the conference below, top 5 teams move up into the top conference.

College Basketball - same thing as stated above. in each 30 team league the top 8 teams will make the playoffs and we'll have best of 7's to have a legit champion.

Poker - if you're favored by 70% or better when the money goes into the pot in all-in setting for tournament poker you win the pot outright, we're going to eliminate bad beats.

Golf - less players allowed to enter majors - the field size these days is ridiculous

That is all - tl; dr and all

Replace actual seasons with a (statistically) large number of computer-simulated games. Whichever team wins the most games in the simulation is declared the champion. No more bad beats.

NBA games would be played on a court in my backyard

Last edited by a moderator:
My son has one spot in his mouth where an adult tooth was supposed to show up but never did. He still has one of his "baby" teeth there.

I'm suing his dentist because it is a statistical abomination.

Winner of the race gets a billion dollars immediately after the race. Last place gets shot in the head.
if you changed it to winner has live secks with kate upton and loser has to have gay secks with the next to last guy we'd be getting closer
So two dudes banging would get your attention? Interesting..

Bowling - have random pins nailed to the floor that can't be knocked over...oh, a land mine in the lane wouldn't hurt either.

Soccer - needs trap doors and catapults. Yeah, land mines here as well.
I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games and watched a few euro league games... they are on to something there... they have continuous action, all gets done in a tidy 2 hours... it's just that 1-0 or 1-1 doesn't do it for me... and really shouldn't do it for anyone.

Make the requisite changes so that the average is just 3-2 and I'm a fan!

Winner of the race gets a billion dollars immediately after the race. Last place gets shot in the head.
if you changed it to winner has live secks with kate upton and loser has to have gay secks with the next to last guy we'd be getting closer
So two dudes banging would get your attention? Interesting..
no, mainly i just want to see their redneck fan base all have heart attacks simultaneously

I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games and watched a few euro league games... they are on to something there... they have continuous action, all gets done in a tidy 2 hours... it's just that 1-0 or 1-1 doesn't do it for me... and really shouldn't do it for anyone.

Go to a live hockey game then. Surprised you said no hope there. Virtually continuous play, speed, precision, hard hits, hard shots, finesse, skill, tremendous work ethic and the guys stay out of trouble for the most part and defer to the team.

I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games and watched a few euro league games... they are on to something there... they have the illusion of continuous action, all gets done in a tidy 2 hours... it's just that 1-0 or 1-1 doesn't do it for me... and really shouldn't do it for anyone.

FYP

In the same vein as a lucky spectator taking a half court shot in basketball, have a fan return a kickoff for haltime entertainment. If he busts it for a TD, he wins $xxxxxx of money.

Go to a live hockey game then. Surprised you said no hope there. Virtually continuous play, speed, precision, hard hits, hard shots, finesse, skill, tremendous work ethic and the guys stay out of trouble for the most part and defer to the team.
i've been to some minor league hockey games and i've been watching olympic hockey.

It's a fine game... i just can't relate to it because i can't skate... I've played soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, poker, etc... I just can't relate to ice hockey... at the core of it, the entire idea seems really dumb.

An American football game could be tidily wrapped up in two hours with no commercial interruptions and a little rethinking of how the clock should work. An average NFL game has 130 plays in it. With about six seconds a play and 25 seconds to spot the ball and snap it again, those 130 plays should take about 70 minutes to run. We should stop timing the effing game altogether and just make it 130 plays long. There's no reason to stop the #######ed clock just because the ball went out of bounds or the pass was dropped.

Also, closed leagues are a crime against the American fan.

Horse Racing - allow horses to come back and defend their Derby titles... only being eligible once is dumb.

An American football game could be tidily wrapped up in two hours with no commercial interruptions and a little rethinking of how the clock should work. An average NFL game has 130 plays in it. With about six seconds a play and 25 seconds to spot the ball and snap it again, those 130 plays should take about 70 minutes to run. We should stop timing the effing game altogether and just make it 130 plays long. There's no reason to stop the #######ed clock just because the ball went out of bounds or the pass was dropped.

Great posting about football!

what do you mean about closed leagues?

Soccer - make a back court violation like basketball - no passing back once you cross midfield. And no passing back to the goalie.

And for God's sake just stop the clock to eliminate the fake injuries and "I just can't find anyone open" 30 second throw-ins.

The #1 thing I would like to see in the 4 major sports would be seeding the entire playoffs regardless of conference/league

This isn't 1922 where teams have to travel 9 hours by bus from NY to St. Louis.

Memphis is 6 games over 500 in the NBA West and currently out of the playoffs.

They would be a #3 seed in the EAST.

My quick changes would be 1 timeout per half in basketball. Hockey gets 1 per game and they're fine.

6 fouls in College Basketball. I hate when the refs call 2 quick ticky tack fouls on a stud early and he sits for the rest of the half.

No getting the ball at half court after a time out. Make them go the full length of the court.

You leave the dugout or bullpen during a fight in baseball you get kicked out. On that note, quit giving warnings the first time there's a HBP. So dumb.

Bigger goals in hockey or at the minimum reduce pad sizes to old school sizes. Too much space taken up in the nets.

The #1 thing I would like to see in the 4 major sports would be seeding the entire playoffs regardless of conference/league

This isn't 1922 where teams have to travel 9 hours by bus from NY to St. Louis.

Memphis is 6 games over 500 in the NBA West and currently out of the playoffs.

They would be a #3 seed in the EAST.
Love it.. why not just eliminate conferences and divisions altogether. Just have a balanced schedule where everyone plays each team a fixed number of times and you'd have a much clearer picture of who was truly the best. Might not even need a playoffs if the regular season was put together right.. especially in a sport like baseball

Great posting about football!

what do you mean about closed leagues?
American sports leagues are cartels and monopolies which restrict the number of entrants. They are first, foremost and solely about enriching the franchisees and the average fan in the average town is fracked.

And for God's sake just stop the clock to eliminate the fake injuries and "I just can't find anyone open" 30 second throw-ins.
it is such a simple fix but the games rulers are so stuck in the dark ages it may take another 20 years before FIFA realizes how simple this mess is to fix.

Shortening the baseball season immediately comes to mind. An 162 game season into a best of 5 series is just ridiculous. They might as well flip a coin.

Change MLB playoffs to end in October (more in season and some post season doubleheaders) and in cold weather cities, play the playoff games earlier. When a game is in late October in Detroit or Boston, it shouldn't be about the TV money to schedule it for 9:00 at night. Start the game at 1:00. It's ridiculous that most of the season is played in scorching heat and sun, while the most important games are played in 30 degrees and darkness.

Baseball salary cap. Spending inequality has ruined the sport.
Cap and more importantly salary floor and in my reseeding the entire league for playoffs model.

I would give worst teams top draft picks as usual and award the division winners with an extra $10M in cap space the following year.

Say cap is 150M

The 6 division winners would enter the 2015 season with a cap of 160.

I used to hate on soccer also, but then i went to a couple MLS games
Sporting KC? Gorgeous little stadium down there and fun atmosphere it looks like on TV
yes, very cool place...

But i've been to 2 games. 1-1 and 0-0 So i've been to 2 games, didn't get a result, and saw 2 scores and a bajillion FLOPS in 160 minutes of action. eff that

Sports should be separated completely from educational institutions at all levels.
The first seeds of this inevitable evolution have been planted. Technological advancements will gradually change the structure -- both educationally and physically -- of schools to the point where interscholastic sports will be completely unfeasible. It's an idea which has already way outlived its time.

Users who are viewing this thread