What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Cubs interested in ... Stephen Drew?

The addendum has all kinds of (well-tempered) hot stove-ness:

It’s conceivable that the Cubs are, like the other teams, looking at Drew as a possible starter at second base (Sherman’s language actually reads that way), but I doubt it. That would be an admission, already, that either (1) Javier Baez will start the year at AAA, or (2) Starlin Castro will be traded this offseason, as well as an admission that Tommy La Stella’s role on the Cubs is strangely unclear. Plus you throw in Luis Valbuena, who could slide over to second base when Kris Bryant comes up … I just don’t see Drew coming in as a starter for the Cubs at second base absent a huge, roster-shaking trade on the horizon. That, too, is possible, but definitionally unlikely.)

Not only did Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo not back down from his end-of-season comments about the team making the playoffs in 2015, he upped the ante Thursday, declaring them World Series-worthy.

"It's [winning the NL Central] going to happen this year," Rizzo said at a Cubs caravan stop at Jacob Beidler Elementary School in Chicago. "It's what we're going to do. We're going to play and we're going to win the NL Central, you can quote me on that. We should be the team, with all due respect to every other team, we're going to do some things this year. That's what we're going to put our sights on and we're not going to accept anything else.

"It [winning the World Series] will be fun. Once we do, we're going to figure out how we're going to do it again. That's a long ways away. That's nine or 10 months away. Right now we're focused on the convention, then spring training, and becoming a team and going from there." Rizzo got a head start on this weekend's fan convention -- a place where optimism reigns annually. And like a lot of fans, the players also are buying in for 2015. Right-hander Jake Arrieta spoke a few minutes later and didn't back down.

"I expect the guys to have that same sort of mindset," Arrieta said. "Especially starting with a clean slate. New season, a lot of new faces. Optimism is a good thing to have.

"I know in 'Back to the Future' we win it in 2015, which is kind of crazy, to say the least. We'll do our best to make sure that happens." The Cubs still have many questions, including how their young players will develop, but Rizzo believes talent will overcome.

"The good thing, with the talent we have on this team, is one guy can go through a rut while the other 7-8 pick him up," he said.

The Cubs added star pitcher Jon Lester this winter along with catchers Miguel Montero and David Ross and a new manager, Joe Maddon.

Jason Motte joined the bullpen and Chris Denorfia will split time in left field. Rizzo and shortstop Starlin Castro made the All-Star team last season, and they have a group of talented young players ready to break out. But they haven't yet. And no one knows if they're ready for prime time. Players like Javier Baez and Jorge Soler might need more seasoning.

It's unknown if Rizzo was speaking from the heart or had his comments preplanned.

"I was saying this to my family when everything was going down with Lester and Maddon and signing the other guys, 'You know for the rest of my career I should be on a contending team now.' And that's exciting."

The Cubs believe they are getting closer and closer, while Rizzo thinks they're already there after five straight fifth-place finishes.

"After the [Jeff] Samardzija and [Jason] Hammel deal you kind of sensed as an organization that, that was it. Now it's time to start winning. Them putting the stamp on going out and getting Lester is huge. With Joe being our manager now it's going to be great for the talent that we have, utilizing the talent that we have."

Maybe Hollywood will get this one right.

"They're smart," Rizzo said. "'Back to the Future' said we're going to win in 2015. We're going to be a fun team."

I like it. Fowler is an underrated fielder imo. Decent bat. Good OBP. Not the speedy steals guy he was once made out to be, but a solid addition for a team that needed a veteran outfielder.

I like it. Fowler is an underrated fielder imo. Decent bat. Good OBP. Not the speedy steals guy he was once made out to be, but a solid addition for a team that needed a veteran outfielder.
On fangraphs: Over the last 3 season, 13 players qualify as CFers. He's far and away the worst of them.

If you knock the innings down to average 250 innings per season, so 750 total innings there over the last 3 years, there are 52 CFers

Want to guess where Dexter Fowler ranks?

On fangraphs: Over the last 3 season, 13 players qualify as CFers. He's far and away the worst of them.

If you knock the innings down to average 250 innings per season, so 750 total innings there over the last 3 years, there are 52 CFers

i can taste the salt from here

This is why I say he's underrated. The defensive metrics don't tell the whole story here. This is as close as I can find to something that kind of backs me up on this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like his glove (though not his arm).

Last edited by a moderator:
They needed some outfield help. Valbuena and Fowler is basically a wash so I don't get why they had to include Straily.

Bryant won't be up until May so Olt will probably start the year at 3rd. Alcantara will be Maddon's new Zobrist.

Eephus said:
Captain Hook said:
Wrigley said:
I'm assuming this move means Bryant will be with the big club
not set in stone but Highly Likely he starts at 3B
If Theo is as smart as everyone says he is, Bryant will stay in Iowa long enough for the Cubs to get the 7th year of control.
From what I've read, he needs only 9 more days in the minors for the Cubs to get that. I'd be surprised if they keep him down through April, unless Olt learned to hit this offseason. I think there's a growing sentiment among Cubs watchers and fans alike that OK, we understand the organization is being patient and playing it smart here, but it's also not Bryant's fault the rules are what they are and he clearly deserves to be in the majors. Any additional delays would be very bad PR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
Captain Hook said:
Wrigley said:
If Theo is as smart as everyone says he is, Bryant will stay in Iowa long enough for the Cubs to get the 7th year of control.
Selling tickets and the quest to be over .500 this year will trump the 7th year

This is why I say he's underrated. The defensive metrics don't tell the whole story here. This is as close as I can find to something that kind of backs me up on this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like his glove (though not his arm).
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2015/01/can-fowler-improve-defensive-cf-numbers-with-the-cubs-he-wouldnt-be-the-first-to-do-so/

Eephus said:
Captain Hook said:
Wrigley said:
Selling tickets and the quest to be over .500 this year will trump the 7th year
That's not very smart

:grad:

Especially since there will be about 10,000 less seats available for purchase, per game, until The Great Bleacher Cluster#### of 2015 is resolved

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2015/01/can-fowler-improve-defensive-cf-numbers-with-the-cubs-he-wouldnt-be-the-first-to-do-so/
:goodposting:

Patrolling CF in Houston and Colorado is no treat. I wonder if there are some split stats out there to show if his numbers improve away from those places.

:bowtie:

Welp, that's one can't miss prospect setting himself up to miss. Who else can we break down next? ;)

Welp, that's one can't miss prospect setting himself up to miss. Who else can we break down next? ;)
Cubs GM Jed Hoyer reiterated Thursday that Baez is projected to open the year as the team's starting second baseman, but added that Baez will have to "earn his playing time," MLB.com reports. "He has to make more contact to stay in the big leagues," Hoyer said.

Cubs GM Jed Hoyer reiterated Thursday that Baez is projected to open the year as the team's starting second baseman, but added that Baez will have to "earn his playing time," MLB.com reports. "He has to make more contact to stay in the big leagues," Hoyer said.
#gobbler

#gobbler
He'll crush in that scoring system. 1.1.

#gobbler
He'll crush in that scoring system. 1.1.
Him, or BJ Upton

Vogelbach is a fun prospect because he's fat. I'm always skeptical of guys who are 1B in the low minors because they have nowhere to go on the defensive spectrum.

He barely hit his weight last year in A ball so he needs to step it up. His future may not be in Wrigley because Schwarber or Bryant may eventually end up at 1B.
Vogelbach should be traded to an AL team - his only position is hitter

Users who are viewing this thread