What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chime in with your Burress strategy (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
I am uncertain what to do with him. I did pick up Hixon. I could use the Plaxico's roster spot to pick up a player who could help me in the playoffs although I admit I am having difficulty dropping him to waivers. Why? I there any chance he could help at all in weeks 14, 15 and 16? is he a no brainer drop and if so enlighten me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut him & be over it. Dumb-a@@ is done. That's redraft & dynasty (unless your bench is way bloody deep)...

Career = :toast: He will probably get a 3 1/2 year sentence if convicted, and probably serve at least 2 of it. That makes him 33 when he gets out. Having been out of football for two years at that time, don't expect him to have any value until he's 34 the following season, if any at all then.

Career = :toast: He will probably get a 3 1/2 year sentence if convicted, and probably serve at least 2 of it. That makes him 33 when he gets out. Having been out of football for two years at that time, don't expect him to have any value until he's 34 the following season, if any at all then.
Interesting, you're a good poster thanks for the post just wondering what you're basing this on?

Interesting, you're a good poster thanks for the post just wondering what you're basing this on?
the law doesn't support his conclusion. Little, Jones, and Lewis were all involved with a death. I doubt blasting a hole in yourself will warrant much more than what they saw.

I don't think any lawyer can defend that he had an unregistered gun in a city that makes you license your 2nd Amendment right (you don't have to register your freedom of speech do you?)

Anyway, Vick lost his career because of dog fighting, because the Law focused on him and made an example.

Bloomberg is doing that with Burress here and he will not let go.

I'm cutting Burress ....... in all my leagues.

the law doesn't support his conclusion. Little, Jones, and Lewis were all involved with a death. I doubt blasting a hole in yourself will warrant much more than what they saw.
Why don't you research the NYC gun laws before you make incorrect assertions.If Plex is convicted of the crimes that he is in the process of being charged with, the MINIMUM, MANDATORY sentence is 3-1/2 years in jail. Couple that with the specific statements made by the Mayor of NYC yesterday stating that "he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". Doesn't take much more than a crayola to connect those dots.

NYC Homer... Having unregistered guns in NY, not goooood. They do not play games nor should they. He got himself the best attorney in the business for a reason, because this is serious. If he doesn't do the mandatory... I will be shocked. Although on ESPN they've been saying their working on a plea deal which would get him probation and community service... bs if you ask me.

In terms of sentence...I can't see any wiggle room. Sounds like it's a MANDATORY 3.5.

I think the only question is how much of that sentence he's going to serve.

Why don't you research the NYC gun laws before you make incorrect assertions.If Plex is convicted of the crimes that he is in the process of being charged with, the MINIMUM, MANDATORY sentence is 3-1/2 years in jail. Couple that with the specific statements made by the Mayor of NYC yesterday stating that "he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". Doesn't take much more than a crayola to connect those dots.
According to state law, a person carrying a gun without a permit faces 3 ½ to 15 years in prison if prosecutors prove that the person intended to use the weapon on another person. If intent to use cannot be proved, the person may still face felony charges that could result in up to seven years in prison.
- posted by Aaron RudnickiI'd be more than willing to wager that he won't do 3.5 years.

Dynasty owner, can't just dump him right now, but I won't get anything of value, so I hold.

This was the last straw. Fortunately, the league I owned him in is a mainly a re-draft league (Keep 2), but I cut him this weekend and added Hixon. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

We know that he is being charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon (both Class C felonies), which could result in a prison sentence of 3½ years to 15 years if he is convicted. From what I have read and seen on TV, the NY District Attorney's office has a strict policy of only pleading Class C felony charge down to Class D felony charges at best. Class D felony charges provide for a minimum of 2 years in jail.

Honestly, I don't see how the best attorney in the world can get Burress from avoiding jail time. There are indisputable facts that he had a loaded, unregistered gun and shot himself. It doesn't seem to me that it will be that difficult to prove those facts beyond a reasonable doubt. I think he definitely gets a minimum of 2 years assuming they plead down to a Class D felony. There is no way Burress' attorney will be able to plead it down any lower based on what I have read and heard since NYC is very tough with their gun laws and seemingly have a "can't lose" case against him.

We should hear more in the coming days since Burress reports to the Giants today, but I am very doubtful at this point that Burress will play again for the NY Giants given that he hasn't had much of an impact this season and that they can cut him before he is due a $1M roster bonus on 12/10.

It's possible the NYG might just decide to keep him for the rest of the season, though, since it only costs them an additional $1M. I am doubtful of this, though, since before this incident he has proven himself to be a clubhouse cancer. If you are still hesitant in cutting Burress and can afford the roster space, keep him for one more week and see whether or not the Giants pay him the $1M on 12/10. That is basically the deadline for the NYG to decide what they are doing with him this season. I am doubtful the NFL punishes him while the charges are still pending in this case.

In terms of sentence...I can't see any wiggle room. Sounds like it's a MANDATORY 3.5.I think the only question is how much of that sentence he's going to serve.
If found guilty. His lawyer is the one that got P Diddy off.
I am not an expert on the P Diddy case, but I have seen some TV lawyers say that the P Diddy case was much different in that there were witnesses that turned against P Diddy to testify against him at the same time they also had civil suits against P Diddy. In the end a jury poll revealed that the jury didn't believe those witnesses b/c they were also suing P Diddy and the jury thought they were trying to profit off the incident. I am highly doubtful that the circumstances in the Burress case will lead to the jury not believing a witness. It's so cut and dry. He didn't have a gun license in NY, he had a loaded gun, he shot the loaded gun. The fact that he went to the hospital for treatment and gave a fake name already....along with the fact that people will testify that they saw him with the gun is something any attorney won't be able to get him off from. Burress will definitely do time, even if his attorney is successful and pleads it down to a Class D felony.

According to state law, a person carrying a gun without a permit faces 3 ½ to 15 years in prison if prosecutors prove that the person intended to use the weapon on another person. If intent to use cannot be proved, the person may still face felony charges that could result in up to seven years in prison.
- posted by Aaron RudnickiI'd be more than willing to wager that he won't do 3.5 years.
Pretty big backpeddle from your earlier comparables of "no jail time" for guys like PacMan and Ray Lewis (who was found not guilty).

Pretty big backpeddle from your earlier comparables of "no jail time" for guys like PacMan and Ray Lewis (who was found not guilty).
That's not what I said. I initially said he wouldn't do 3.5 years so where's my backpeddle? Where did I say "no jail time"? You should spend a little less time with the crayolas and read before responding.

That's not what I said. I initially said he wouldn't do 3.5 years so where's my backpeddle? Where did I say "no jail time"? You should spend a little less time with the crayolas and read before responding.
The original poster stated that he thought Plax would serve 2 years. You replied that the poster didn't know the law and gave a bunch of completely "off point" examples to support your assertion. All of your examples served little or no jail time. Since then people with more knowledge of the situation have weighed in corroborating the view that Plex is in hot water and likely to serve hard jail time. A back peddle in my book, but go pour another cold one and bask in the memory that once again you prevailed in an internet message board debate.

The original poster stated that he thought Plax would serve 2 years. You replied that the poster didn't know the law and gave a bunch of completely "off point" examples to support your assertion. All of your examples served little or no jail time. Since then people with more knowledge of the situation have weighed in corroborating the view that Plex is in hot water and likely to serve hard jail time. A back peddle in my book, but go pour another cold one and bask in the memory that once again you prevailed in an internet message board debate.
He said "He will probably get a 3 1/2 year sentence if convicted, and probably serve at least 2 of it." You are the one backpedalling by changing your tune from sentence time to time served. I stand by my statement that he won't be sentenced to 3.5 years. I expect him to do some time (sentenced to), but not 3.5 years because the intent to use that weapon on someone else will likely be hard to prove. The other examples aren't off point. People initially thought those guys were going to see significantly more time and the reality is that after they went through the court process (may not be true in Pacman's case) that the outcome was different.

He said "He will probably get a 3 1/2 year sentence if convicted, and probably serve at least 2 of it." You are the one backpedalling by changing your tune from sentence time to time served. I stand by my statement that he won't be sentenced to 3.5 years. I expect him to do some time (sentenced to), but not 3.5 years because the intent to use that weapon on someone else will likely be hard to prove. The other examples aren't off point. People initially thought those guys were going to see significantly more time and the reality is that after they went through the court process (may not be true in Pacman's case) that the outcome was different.
Intent to use has nothing to do with the 3.5 year minimum mandatory sentence.

According to the quote by rudnicki it does. If there's no intent it gets bumped down to a charge without the 3.5 min but still could be as much as 7 years.

According to the quote by rudnicki it does. If there's no intent it gets bumped down to a charge without the 3.5 min but still could be as much as 7 years.
Wow, there's tons of information out there about this, and you are worrying about one post in this thread?The 'intent' has nothing to do with the 3.5 year minimum, like I said. It has been all over the news and all it takes is a google search to confirm. If you are going to disagree, please post a link of what your source is. Referencing a post in a thread on footballguys as a legal source is more than a bit silly.

Hopefully I can clarify some of the confusion in the last few posts.

There are 2 charges against Burress:

1) PL265.03(1)(b): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second Degree

2) PL265.03(3): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second Degree

The first charge makes it illegal for a person to possess a loaded firearm “with intent to use the same unlawfully against another.” The second charge removes the “intent” requirement, and generally prohibits possession of a loaded firearm outside of a person’s home or place of business.

There is no way they will be able to prove the first charge, but it appears that the second charge will be pretty easy to prove given all that we know right now.

Both of these charges are Class C felonies and subject to jail terms no less than 3.5 years if convicted.

So intent has everything to do with a 3.5 year minimum sentence, but that is only for the first charge which seems like it will not be proven. Intent has nothing to do with the second charge, which appears easy to prove.

I'm in a redraft league and I'm dumping him for a waiver pickup tonight. Our play-offs are the next three weeks and it looks like Plexi will be out at least for the first two. I have a bye this week, so I don't need him anyway. I already have Hixon, but I'm hoping to replace Plexi with Toomer. If not, I'll add another QB or D for depth instead. Anything is better than dead weight. Given his current situation, I'm confident he'll clear waivers. If I make it to the championship game and it looks like there's even a possibility he might be back, I may pick him up again. But at this point he's a high risk low reward kinda guy so he's not worth a bench spot. This is the play-offs, certain depth in the bench is way more useful than uncertainty on the roster. Besides, as the play-offs progress, the number of teams that can make pickups diminish accordingly.

NorrisB said:
JohnnyU said:
Thanks NorrisB, and you're one of my favorite posters. I'm basing my statements on the facts of NY laws. Correct me if I'm wrong on the 3 1/2 yrs thingy, and me saying he would serve 2yrs is pure speculation on my part. I don't back down saying his carrer is :toast:. If he serves 2 yrs he would be 33 when he gets out, and I believe I already mentioned that he wouldn't become relevant for another year, putting him at 34. That's why I think he is :toast:

I am dropping him in my Dynasty league for Hixon. I've had it with Burress. My league only has 14 roster spots, and I am not going to waste a spot on this idiot.

Is it just me or does the penalty seem a little extreme?
So was the murder rate in NYC not too long ago.As for what to do with Plax, well I traded him away before the season started so don't I look smart now. :rolleyes: Seriously though, I would not hesitate to just drop him in redraft, but hold him in dynasty if you have room; unless you can find a willing trade partner. Yeah right.

Do we just notice that because of someone prominent involved? I'm sure "extreme" does apply to "Joe Six Pack", lol.
The only reason I'm aware of the penalty is because someone prominent is invovled. If his intent was to harm someone I understand the 3 1/2 years but I really believe he was carrying it for protection and that is why I wonder if a little extreme.

Do we just notice that because of someone prominent involved? I'm sure "extreme" does apply to "Joe Six Pack", lol.
The only reason I'm aware of the penalty is because someone prominent is involved. If his intent was to harm someone I understand the 3 1/2 years but I really believe he was carrying it for protection and that is why I wonder if a little extreme.
I hear ya, but NYC decided to get tough on guns and say that if you want to risk carrying a loaded one in our community without a permit for it, then you'll go to jail for at least 3.5 years without exception. So from that perspective, I cannot feel bad for Burress. He had a permit in Florida previously. He knows he needs a permit. He might not have known it was a minimum 3.5 year sentence for a conviction, but he was stupid enough to carry one around loaded without a permit. He's lucky that he was shot and the bullet didn't go in someone else's direction. I can't feel sorry for anyone who is stupid enough to be carrying a loaded weapon without a permit. He should have hired body guards if he thought his life was in danger or actually gotten a permit.

The only reason I'm aware of the penalty is because someone prominent is invovled. If his intent was to harm someone I understand the 3 1/2 years but I really believe he was carrying it for protection and that is why I wonder if a little extreme.
What if he was just "carrying it for protection" and shot someone else? After all he did shoot himself, and that speaks voumes for his ability to handle a gun :wink: I rest my case, lol.

What if he was just "carrying it for protection" and shot someone else? After all he did shoot himself, and that speaks voumes for his ability to handle a gun :wink: I rest my case, lol.
you guys are right "the law is the law" but still feel it's a little harsh. Just want to state I don't own a gun and never will. It's my belief that they will only bring you trouble and Plax is an example of that.

Like I said before he will get off light.

Now this: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/gia...0,1574126.story

This will be used as a reason for the gun. Thus he gets off with less than the 'mandatory'. Stupid...yes. Put himself in that situation..yes, but he won't be getting 3.5 years...or any jailtime as this story helps him.

He's done for FFL teams this year however.

' said:
Hopefully I can clarify some of the confusion in the last few posts.There are 2 charges against Burress:1) PL265.03(1)(b): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second Degree2) PL265.03(3): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second DegreeThe first charge makes it illegal for a person to possess a loaded firearm “with intent to use the same unlawfully against another.” The second charge removes the “intent” requirement, and generally prohibits possession of a loaded firearm outside of a person’s home or place of business.There is no way they will be able to prove the first charge, but it appears that the second charge will be pretty easy to prove given all that we know right now.Both of these charges are Class C felonies and subject to jail terms no less than 3.5 years if convicted.So intent has everything to do with a 3.5 year minimum sentence, but that is only for the first charge which seems like it will not be proven. Intent has nothing to do with the second charge, which appears easy to prove.
:thumbup: Now that being said, there will be a plea deal and Plax will not do any time!! Guilty plea deal also = a winning case by the Manhattan DA's office.His career as a NY Giant will also be over! Upper management is fuming that there were other players with Plax that night while he was in possesion of a loaded firearm! Look for Pierce to be charged with OGA and Tampering with Physical Evidence!

This will be used as a reason for the gun. Thus he gets off with less than the 'mandatory'. Stupid...yes. Put himself in that situation..yes, but he won't be getting 3.5 years...or any jailtime as this story helps him.

Unless the judge wants to set a precedent that go against the minimum requirements of the law, he will be going to jail. I don't see how the Steve Smith case affects the Burress case one bit as far as NYC is concerned. He broke a law and they will try to convict him for it. He will be getting 3.5 years if convicted one of the current charges or perhaps just 2.0 years if he pleads it down to a Class D felony. His only way out of this is if there are no witnesses and they can't prove it was his gun, which appears to be very unlikely based on everything reported to date.

' said:
Hopefully I can clarify some of the confusion in the last few posts.There are 2 charges against Burress:1) PL265.03(1)(b): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second Degree2) PL265.03(3): Criminal possession of a weapon in the Second DegreeThe first charge makes it illegal for a person to possess a loaded firearm “with intent to use the same unlawfully against another.” The second charge removes the “intent” requirement, and generally prohibits possession of a loaded firearm outside of a person’s home or place of business.There is no way they will be able to prove the first charge, but it appears that the second charge will be pretty easy to prove given all that we know right now.Both of these charges are Class C felonies and subject to jail terms no less than 3.5 years if convicted.So intent has everything to do with a 3.5 year minimum sentence, but that is only for the first charge which seems like it will not be proven. Intent has nothing to do with the second charge, which appears easy to prove.
:banned: Now that being said, there will be a plea deal and Plax will not do any time!! Guilty plea deal also = a winning case by the Manhattan DA's office.His career as a NY Giant will also be over! Upper management is fuming that there were other players with Plax that night while he was in possesion of a loaded firearm! Look for Pierce to be charged with OGA and Tampering with Physical Evidence!
Apparently the Manhattan DA's office has a VERY strict policy of not pleading down Class C felony gun charges ANY LOWER than to Class D felony gun charges. The only way he does no time is if he is tried and is found not guilty based on everything I am hearing.

Unless the judge wants to set a precedent that go against the minimum requirements of the law, he will be going to jail. I don't see how the Steve Smith case affects the Burress case one bit as far as NYC is concerned. He broke a law and they will try to convict him for it. He will be getting 3.5 years if convicted one of the current charges or perhaps just 2.0 years if he pleads it down to a Class D felony. His only way out of this is if there are no witnesses and they can't prove it was his gun, which appears to be very unlikely based on everything reported to date.
While I agree, you are not on the jury of his peers. That's why there are lawyers. He will pay a boatload in fees and probably fines but get off light.

While I agree, you are not on the jury of his peers. That's why there are lawyers. He will pay a boatload in fees and probably fines but get off light.
I agree I am neither, but like I said in my last post, the Manhattan DA's office has a VERY strict policy of not pleading down Class C felony gun charges ANY LOWER than to Class D felony gun charges. It is not possible for him to plead down to no jail time based on the precedent set by the Manhattan's DA office. The only way he does no time is if he is tried and found not guilty.

I agree I am neither, but like I said in my last post, the Manhattan DA's office has a VERY strict policy of not pleading down Class C felony gun charges ANY LOWER than to Class D felony gun charges. It is not possible for him to plead down to no jail time based on the precedent set by the Manhattan's DA office. The only way he does no time is if he is tried and found not guilty.
That's what is gonna happen. They have to prove the Class C. They can't. They can prove he's an idiot but they are idiots for charging him with Class C and not Class D.

FUBAR said:
Dynasty owner, can't just dump him right now, but I won't get anything of value, so I hold.
Same boat here.Wish I had traded him early in the year when his value was high. Now there really is no choice but to hold.

That's what is gonna happen. They have to prove the Class C. They can't. They can prove he's an idiot but they are idiots for charging him with Class C and not Class D.
Why can't they? All they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was in possession of a loaded gun without a permit. The gun accidentally was fired (and hit him), so it obviously was loaded. The only thing left to prove is that Burress was in possession of it. Seems like he is going to jail to me. I have no idea how he could get off with a not guilty verdict based on what we have heard so far about the incident.

Why can't they? All they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was in possession of a loaded gun without a permit. The gun accidentally was fired (and hit him), so it obviously was loaded. The only thing left to prove is that Burress was in possession of it. Seems like he is going to jail to me. I have no idea how he could get off with a not guilty verdict based on what we have heard so far about the incident.
OJ killed 2 people and is free.

No more than most gun control measures. Criminalize what law abiding persons might feel justified in doing do just so you can throw the book at or tack another charge onto the gangbangers and street thugs. Wonderful and so effective. How many thugs have left their guns at home thanks to this law?BTW, in my jurisdiction, a local mayor would have nothing to say about how a felony case is prosecuted. Both the prosecutors and the judges are state employees and the mayor has no leverage on them unless he holds some influence with the governor.There's also a chance of jury nullification here as well. I can see where a jury might aquit if the jury believes Burress wasn't doing anything else illegal and was carrying for his own personal protection and had an accident with the gun. That's why his attorney would point to the Steve Smith story and other NFL player stories in the press. He wants to get it out into the general public (the potential jury pool) because he may not be able to get it in front of the jury in the courtroom depending upon how tight the presiding judge is.

OJ killed 2 people and is free.
Yea, but nobody witnessed him committing the murders even if there was a preponderance of evidence suggesting he did it.In Burress' case, he dropped his loaded gun to the floor and it shot him in the leg. Plenty of people saw he had a loaded gun in his possession.

Users who are viewing this thread