What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (2 Viewers)

Just to be clear, I am in no way advocating Randle. Don't shoot the messenger.

If I had a choice and we had to settle give me Alshon Jeffrey but no earlier than 37. Or Fleener at TE if he drops that low.

Looks like a top 5 toughest schedule to me.

2012 Regular Season Schedule WK DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET) RESOURCES 1 Sun, Sep 9 vsPhiladelphia 1:00 PM Tickets 2 Sun, Sep 16 @Cincinnati 1:00 PM Tickets 3 Sun, Sep 23 vsBuffalo 1:00 PM Tickets 4 Thu, Sep 27 @Baltimore 8:20 PM NFL Tickets 5 Sun, Oct 7 @New York 1:00 PM Tickets 6 Sun, Oct 14 vsCincinnati 1:00 PM Tickets 7 Sun, Oct 21 @Indianapolis 1:00 PM Tickets 8 Sun, Oct 28 vsSan Diego 1:00 PM Tickets 9 Sun, Nov 4 vsBaltimore 1:00 PM Tickets 10 BYE WEEK 11 Sun, Nov 18 @Dallas 1:00 PM Tickets 12 Sun, Nov 25 vsPittsburgh 1:00 PM Tickets 13 Sun, Dec 2 @Oakland 4:15 PM Tickets 14 Sun, Dec 9 vsKansas City 1:00 PM Tickets 15 Sun, Dec 16 vsWashington 1:00 PM Tickets 16 Sun, Dec 23 @Denver 4:05 PM Tickets 17 Sun, Dec 30 @Pittsburgh 1:00 PM Tickets

So when we're 2-7 heading into the bye, does Shurmur get whacked? :popcorn:
No way we are 2-7 going into the bye. With the influx of new talent we will be getting from the draft and the multiple trades down H&H are sure to pull off, we are gong to be stocked to the gills with fresh young 5th & 6th round talent.No way will be 2-7. . .optimist. 2-7 is best case right?

Cleveland Browns to conduct private workout today with USC tackle Matt Kalil, source says

Cleveland Plain Dealer

April 18, 2012

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Just eight days before the NFL draft, the Browns will travel to conduct a private workout today with top-rated USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil, a league source told The Plain Dealer.

The Browns have also hosted Kalil in Cleveland as one of their predraft visits.

Kalil (6-6, 306) is expected to go No. 3 to Minnesota, but the Vikings will listen to trade offers, and reports have surfaced recently that they might pass on Kalil. Minnesota is also reportedly pondering Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and possibly even Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

At the NFL Annual Meeting last month, Browns general manager Tom Heckert said that the Browns would have to consider drafting Kalil if he's available at No. 4. The other players the Browns are considering at No. 4 are Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Justin Blackmon, Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne.

The fourth overall pick seems high for a right tackle, but the Browns need a quality starter there and Kalil would certainly step in immediately and solidify the position. The Browns would also be set on the offensive line for at least the next six or seven years. Although he started at left tackle his final two seasons at USC, he did serve as a backup right tackle in 2009 and started one game at that spot against Boston College.

If Kalil falls to No. 4, the Browns would also most likely field offers from teams interested in trading up for a premier starting left tackle. Kalil has most often been compared to Browns five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas.

At the NFL meetings, Browns coach Shurmur acknowledged "that's a fair comparison.'' And ESPN's Todd McShay agreed on a conference call Tuesday, "Joe Thomas to me is a good comparison. I think Kalil has a little bit more -- I don't want to say nasty in him, but he's got a nasty side.''

McShay added, "In my opinion, Matt Kalil has a chance to be a top five, top seven, maybe at worst top ten left tackle in the NFL when it's all said and done. I know he needs to continue to get stronger, and I see that on tape. He's already bulked up to 306, and I have to believe with his work ethic and commitment that he's going to get there.''

Kalil also comes from a football family, with his father having played college ball and his brother Ryan a Pro Bowl center for the Panthers.

"He has the bloodline and he has the long arms you look for,'' said McShay. "He has big hands, he has the frame at 6-6 and five-eighths inches, and he moves extremely well. I keep hearing from people that say that they're talking to Minnesota and that they don't love Kalil, and maybe that's the case. But I'll be surprised -- if they stay at three, I'll be surprised if the pick is not Kalil."

If it's not, the Browns will have a lively 15 minutes when they're on the clock.
Is it getting smoky in here?

So when we're 2-7 heading into the bye, does Shurmur get whacked? :popcorn:
No way we are 2-7 going into the bye. With the influx of new talent we will be getting from the draft and the multiple trades down H&H are sure to pull off, we are gong to be stocked to the gills with fresh young 5th & 6th round talent.No way will be 2-7. . .optimist. 2-7 is best case right?
We knew it was going to be horrible on paper. Keep in mind though that two years ago we went into New Orleans and whipped the Super Bowl Champs, and blasted the Patriots at home. This is Colt's second year in the offense, and we may have a dynomite running back and some more receiver help. The young defense, which was #10, should improve. Not everyone is going to be as good as they look on paper.

Cleveland Browns to conduct private workout today with USC tackle Matt Kalil, source says

Cleveland Plain Dealer

April 18, 2012

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Just eight days before the NFL draft, the Browns will travel to conduct a private workout today with top-rated USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil, a league source told The Plain Dealer.

Kalil (6-6, 306) is expected to go No. 3 to Minnesota, but the Vikings will listen to trade offers, and reports have surfaced recently that they might pass on Kalil. Minnesota is also reportedly pondering Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and possibly even Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

At the NFL Annual Meeting last month, Browns general manager Tom Heckert said that the Browns would have to consider drafting Kalil if he's available at No. 4. The other players the Browns are considering at No. 4 are Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Justin Blackmon, Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne.

The fourth overall pick seems high for a right tackle, but the Browns need a quality starter there and Kalil would certainly step in immediately and solidify the position. The Browns would also be set on the offensive line for at least the next six or seven years. Although he started at left tackle his final two seasons at USC, he did serve as a backup right tackle in 2009 and started one game at that spot against Boston College.

If Kalil falls to No. 4, the Browns would also most likely field offers from teams interested in trading up for a premier starting left tackle. Kalil has most often been compared to Browns five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas.

At the NFL meetings, Browns coach Shurmur acknowledged "that's a fair comparison.'' And ESPN's Todd McShay agreed on a conference call Tuesday, "Joe Thomas to me is a good comparison. I think Kalil has a little bit more -- I don't want to say nasty in him, but he's got a nasty side.''

McShay added, "In my opinion, Matt Kalil has a chance to be a top five, top seven, maybe at worst top ten left tackle in the NFL when it's all said and done. I know he needs to continue to get stronger, and I see that on tape. He's already bulked up to 306, and I have to believe with his work ethic and commitment that he's going to get there.''

Kalil also comes from a football family, with his father having played college ball and his brother Ryan a Pro Bowl center for the Panthers.

"He has the bloodline and he has the long arms you look for,'' said McShay. "He has big hands, he has the frame at 6-6 and five-eighths inches, and he moves extremely well. I keep hearing from people that say that they're talking to Minnesota and that they don't love Kalil, and maybe that's the case. But I'll be surprised -- if they stay at three, I'll be surprised if the pick is not Kalil."

If it's not, the Browns will have a lively 15 minutes when they're on the clock.
It wouldn't be exciting, but 7 or 8 years of a line of Kalil, Mack, and Thomas should help keep whatever QB back there clean. Plus, my fat ### could probably rush for 1,000 yards or more consistently.

OR, it can be a legit smokescreen. Heckert is playing his hand masterfully.

2012 NFL Schedule - Browns Season Preview

Tough road ahead

Let's play "Find the win so the Browns can avoid going 0-16." They'll be huge underdogs in every game they play against much more talented teams except for these two: an away tilt at Indianapolis in October, where Andrew Luck may have his sea legs under him; and a home game against the Redskins in mid-December. Cleveland could realistically be 0-13 headed into that one.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/BROWNS

Gotta love that on the NFL's site :thumbdown:

2012 NFL Schedule - Browns Season PreviewTough road aheadLet's play "Find the win so the Browns can avoid going 0-16." They'll be huge underdogs in every game they play against much more talented teams except for these two: an away tilt at Indianapolis in October, where Andrew Luck may have his sea legs under him; and a home game against the Redskins in mid-December. Cleveland could realistically be 0-13 headed into that one. http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/BROWNSGotta love that on the NFL's site :thumbdown:
Rizzo says 14-2 :excited:

Heard Blackmon on the radio with Hooley... guy sounds like an ####### :thumbdown:
Missed it, I flip to Columbus radio when Hooley comes on. What did he say that came off so bad?
I just listened to the interview. Oof. Here's some character traits that I came away with for Mr. Blackmon:-Aloof-Uninformed-Noncommital -UnemotionalCouldn't really name one coach he met with when he visited. Seems like the type of player that will quit when things are bad. Or he could have been intentionally behaving this way because he doesn't want to play here.Hooley: "Do you want to be a Cleveland Brown?"Blackmon: "I want to be a Cleveland Brown if they want me to be a Cleveland Brown"

Just to be clear, I am in no way advocating Randle. Don't shoot the messenger. If I had a choice and we had to settle give me Alshon Jeffrey but no earlier than 37. Or Fleener at TE if he drops that low.
In my rant you can replace Randle with Jeffrey or Hill too. If we don't take one of the first 3 I don't want one until round 3.

Just to be clear, I am in no way advocating Randle. Don't shoot the messenger. If I had a choice and we had to settle give me Alshon Jeffrey but no earlier than 37. Or Fleener at TE if he drops that low.
In my rant you can replace Randle with Jeffrey or Hill too. If we don't take one of the first 3 I don't want one until round 3.
Point taken, but Jeffery was projected as a top 5 overall talent last year. I think the ceiling is the highest for him than either Hill, Randle, or even Kendall Wright. And I know they have big plans for Jordan Cameron but if for some reason Coby Fleener slips to 37 we have to consider it. He'll be as much (if not more) of a weapon than any of the second tier receivers.

2012 NFL Schedule - Browns Season PreviewTough road aheadLet's play "Find the win so the Browns can avoid going 0-16." They'll be huge underdogs in every game they play against much more talented teams except for these two: an away tilt at Indianapolis in October, where Andrew Luck may have his sea legs under him; and a home game against the Redskins in mid-December. Cleveland could realistically be 0-13 headed into that one. http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/BROWNSGotta love that on the NFL's site :thumbdown:
Yes, predicting the season in mid-April is such an exact science. What a dickbag.

Looks like a top 5 toughest schedule to me.

2012 Regular Season Schedule WK DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET) RESOURCES 1 Sun, Sep 9 vsPhiladelphia 1:00 PM Tickets 2 Sun, Sep 16 @Cincinnati 1:00 PM Tickets 3 Sun, Sep 23 vsBuffalo 1:00 PM Tickets 4 Thu, Sep 27 @Baltimore 8:20 PM NFL Tickets 5 Sun, Oct 7 @New York 1:00 PM Tickets 6 Sun, Oct 14 vsCincinnati 1:00 PM Tickets 7 Sun, Oct 21 @Indianapolis 1:00 PM Tickets 8 Sun, Oct 28 vsSan Diego 1:00 PM Tickets 9 Sun, Nov 4 vsBaltimore 1:00 PM Tickets 10 BYE WEEK 11 Sun, Nov 18 @Dallas 1:00 PM Tickets 12 Sun, Nov 25 vsPittsburgh 1:00 PM Tickets 13 Sun, Dec 2 @Oakland 4:15 PM Tickets 14 Sun, Dec 9 vsKansas City 1:00 PM Tickets 15 Sun, Dec 16 vsWashington 1:00 PM Tickets 16 Sun, Dec 23 @Denver 4:05 PM Tickets 17 Sun, Dec 30 @Pittsburgh 1:00 PM Tickets
3rd toughest based off of opponents winning percentages from last year.They had the top 5 up on 1 of the ESPN stations this morning.The Browns are the only sub .500 team from last year with a top 5 schedule this year. :unsure:

Cleveland Plain Dealer

April 18, 2012

Very.Heckert will probably be jumping for joy if someone trades up to 3 to take Tannehill or Richardson or Blackmon,

leaving him holding the possibility of taking the best LT in the draft.

I'd imagine him getting plenty of calls about the #4 at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
'NJDawgPound said:
'MAC_32 said:
Point taken, but Jeffery was projected as a top 5 overall talent last year. I think the ceiling is the highest for him than either Hill, Randle, or even Kendall Wright. And I know they have big plans for Jordan Cameron but if for some reason Coby Fleener slips to 37 we have to consider it. He'll be as much (if not more) of a weapon than any of the second tier receivers.
If Mel and McShay's available player board at 37 reads Fleener, Hill, Alshon, Randle, Mike Adams, and Weeden I hope the Browns actual board looks likeFleener (27 other prospects)AlshonRandleHillWeeden AdamsWe can probably get Alshon Jeffrey in the 3rd round, his name is Juron Criner.

'NJDawgPound said:
'MAC_32 said:
If Mel and McShay's available player board at 37 reads Fleener, Hill, Alshon, Randle, Mike Adams, and Weeden I hope the Browns actual board looks likeFleener (27 other prospects)AlshonRandleHillWeeden AdamsWe can probably get Alshon Jeffrey in the 3rd round, his name is Juron Criner.
I agree with your WR assessment. There is rarely any reason to take one in rnd 2. Complete players go early and speed guys can be obtained in rnd 4.Not sure I want Fleener, though. With 12 different holes to fill, it's hard to justify another TE, albeit the BPA.

'NJDawgPound said:
'MAC_32 said:
I agree with your WR assessment. There is rarely any reason to take one in rnd 2. Complete players go early and speed guys can be obtained in rnd 4.Not sure I want Fleener, though. With 12 different holes to fill, it's hard to justify another TE, albeit the BPA.
I would rather us not look at him either, but if things fall in line we should probably prepare ourselves for the pick. If we go with Rich, none of the top 3 WR's fall, we don't move up for any of them, and we don't see the value at need positions (CB, RDE, OLB, RT, LG), and we don't have a good trade down offer we may take him. Realistically, I don't think Fleener falls out of round 1 (NFL's a copycat league and the TE class sucks) and if he is there teams will be looking to trade up, but there's at least a chance it happens.If it does...I think Watson's a UFA after this season and would be very surprised if we re-sign him and I think Moore's only signed through 2013 too. These guys like Cameron, but enough to say we can't take Fleener? Doubt that.All this is just another reason I'm apprehensive about Rich early. The value's not there at WR if we wait and the top 3 don't fall and we need a play maker in the passing game. Fleener's the 4th best pass catching prospect imho. If we take Rich we have to find a way to get Floyd or Wright. Have to.

Heard Blackmon on the radio with Hooley... guy sounds like an ####### :thumbdown:
Missed it, I flip to Columbus radio when Hooley comes on. What did he say that came off so bad?
I just listened to the interview. Oof. Here's some character traits that I came away with for Mr. Blackmon:-Aloof-Uninformed-Noncommital -UnemotionalCouldn't really name one coach he met with when he visited. Seems like the type of player that will quit when things are bad. Or he could have been intentionally behaving this way because he doesn't want to play here.Hooley: "Do you want to be a Cleveland Brown?"Blackmon: "I want to be a Cleveland Brown if they want me to be a Cleveland Brown"
We had this guy on the team a few years ago, hi Braylon :hey:

I just listened to the interview. Oof. Here's some character traits that I came away with for Mr. Blackmon:

-Aloof

-Uninformed

-Noncommital

-Unemotional

Couldn't really name one coach he met with when he visited.

Seems like the type of player that will quit when things are bad. Or he could have been intentionally behaving this way because he doesn't want to play here.

Hooley: "Do you want to be a Cleveland Brown?"

Blackmon: "I want to be a Cleveland Brown if they want me to be a Cleveland Brown"
We had this guy on the team a few years ago, hi Braylon :hey:
Would be shocked if we take him at #4.Has to be Richardson or Claiborne.

Heckert pre-draft presser on now.
mind tossing some updates?
media doing its best to pry info...Heckert doing his best to hide team's intentionsHe did say they have a clear cut order on their top 4 guys.
I'm coming away with they know exactly what they are doing with the 4th pick, barring trade. Like you said, no ties in their early rankings.Blackmon is a great kid and great football player.Highly unlikely we move up to #3 to get our #3 rated player (assuming Luck/RG3 1/2).

AP Browns reporter Tom Withers...

@twithersAPHeckert on top picks: "Everybody wants a 10-year Pro Bowler. I'll take a 2-year Pro Bowler over a bust."
Heckert: "Everybody is on the same page here (with No. 4)."
Heckert says he would have no hesitaton taking a running back at 4.
Heckert sees the top 3 or 4 picks as immediate starters.

AP Browns reporter Tom Withers...

@twithersAPHeckert on top picks: "Everybody wants a 10-year Pro Bowler. I'll take a 2-year Pro Bowler over a bust."
Heckert: "Everybody is on the same page here (with No. 4)."
Heckert says he would have no hesitaton taking a running back at 4.
Heckert sees the top 3 or 4 picks as immediate starters.
Heckert said Browns have given 18 players first-round grades.
Heckert: "It's not a great linebacker draft."

So, is it fair to say they're after Kalil and Richardson/claiborne in that order?

At least from what I read on my own this morning, and your updates, it seems that what I got from between the lines.

ps: thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I very much agree that Richardson is the pick.

The ONLY thing that would change that, IMO, is if Kalil were to fall to 4 (tho the only way I see it, is the Vikes trading out of #3)

I'm going to draft a Brown on my FF team... Holy Shnikies.

Cleveland Browns GM Tom Heckert: "We'll get one of our top two guys'' at No. 4

Mary Kay Cabot

Cleveland Plain Dealer

BEREA, Oh. -- Browns general manager Tom Heckert is conducting his pre-draft press conference at the Browns facility this morning. Reload for updates:

* Heckert said the Browns are happy to stay at No. 4 and take a really good playe. He didn't rule out trading down.

* "Everybody's on the same page here,'' Heckert said of the front office and coaching staff in regard to No. 4.

* Heckert said he knows who the Browns will take at No. 4 if they stay there, He didn't share.

* He stressed the draft is not just about No. 4. The Browns also the have the No. 22 and No. 37.

* He said it's a misconception that Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill flew up boards after a great workout. He said he's about the same as where he's been. "I've never really seen a bad workout,'' he said. "It's a workout.''

* As for trading back, he said "if there's a similar player, why not? Why wouldn't you do it.''

* On drafting a right tackle: "If you can get a good one, it's great. We do have guys that can play there, but we're looking for one.''

* He said he views the top three or four picks as starters next season.

* He added that the Browns would have no problem taking a running back despite so few running backs going high anymore.

* He said he has enough guys rated similarly at No. 4 to get a position of need in addition to the best available player. The question was about whether or not the Browns would go defense and draft Morris Claiborne at No. 4.

* He admitted that "you have to be careful'' about drafting receivers high. "That position's been up and down'' in the league.'' Does that mean he's leaning away from Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon?

* He said the Browns have 18 players with a first-round grade and that one of them should be available at No. 22.

* He said "you have to have three legit corners in this league.'' (That means the Browns will most likely add a couple somewhere in this draft).

* He said Morris Claiborne stacks up well with last year's first-round pick and former LSU teammate Patrick Peterson. "Patrick's superfast, but they're both really good players.''

* He said "we know we'll get one of our top two guys.'' Of course, he wouldn't reveal who the top two are.

* Heckert said of Justin Blackmon "He's a great kid and a great football player.'' (In response to some analysts saying Blackmon is a character concern).''

* He said "we like Colt. He looks great by the way. If we find a guy we like better, we'll bring him in.''

* He said quarterback Brandon Weeden's age (28) is a factor, but not necessarily a dealbreaker. He wouldn't say if he views him as a starter.

* He didn't completely rule out coming out of this draft with a starting quarterback.

* He said the Browns went to work out USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil because he could slide to the Browns at No. 4. The Vikings are expected to take Kalil at No. 3, but are considering their options.

* Heckert said Mike Holmgren lets him do his job, but that they're in constant communication and on the same page.

* Heckert said from a college standpoint, Blackmon stacks right up there with the caliber of an A.J. Green or Julio Jones.

* He said it's not a great linebacker draft. That's not to say the Browns won't draft one or two.

* He said the Browns top running backs on their board (which includes Trent Richardson, Boise State's Doug Martin and Virginia Tech's David Wilson) can all catch and block too.

* He described Blackmon and Richardson as "class, class guys. We're hoping we can get a guy like that.''

* He said he wouldn't do the same trade this year that he did last year with Atlanta, trading down from No. 6 to No. 27 and picking up a bunch of extra picks, including this year's No. 22 overall.

@twithersAPHeckert on Richardson and Blackmon: "Those two guys are class, class guys and hopefully we can get those type of guys."
Heckert: "We need guys who can score points."
It's Rich or Blackmon.If Kalil slips we burn the phones to move back and get Floyd. If we don't get an offer we like, see above.As much as I like Rich I think we really need to go Blackmon or Floyd and look at RB between picks 22 and 100.

@twithersAPHeckert on Richardson and Blackmon: "Those two guys are class, class guys and hopefully we can get those type of guys."
Heckert: "We need guys who can score points."
It's Rich or Blackmon.If Kalil slips we burn the phones to move back and get Floyd. If we don't get an offer we like, see above.As much as I like Rich I think we really need to go Blackmon or Floyd and look at RB between picks 22 and 100.
Love draft talk.Love how fans of the same team can see so many different aspects or situations.I for one think Blackmon is not an option. I think if Kalil falls to 4, we draft him 100% over Richardson.But in the end, TRich goes #4 to us, would be my final guess.

If it's Kalil or Rich and we go Kalil I'll be doing a lot of this :banned:
haha. I see what you're saying... We need offense, without question.But Kalil... oof... He's once in a blue moon type of a guy. In this scenario, Id be happy with whomever we take.but Im with ya on wanting Richardson, for no other reason than we were lame in the free agent pool.

Users who are viewing this thread