What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crabtree (1 Viewer)

the question now is - Is he worth a spot on your team?

obviously he is not a starter even in a start 28 WR league. ok im a bit bitter, but still in a start 3 WR league he is not a starter.

the next question is he worth holding on your bench in case he may blow up?

It wouldnt be as bad if Smith wasnt playing well, but he looked really good tonight. I was thinking of making a move for him while his value is down, but after watching tonight, im not sure i even want him.

It wouldnt be as bad if Smith wasnt playing well, but he looked really good tonight. I was thinking of making a move for him while his value is down, but after watching tonight, im not sure i even want him.
Smith played well? He played better, but still had 2 picks and a lot of balls batted down. He's much of Crabtree's problem, not the other way around.

My take based on articles, puff pieces, Maiocco blurbs, etc. is that Crabtree has to pay his dues to the team to earn their trust and confidence. I thought he looked great out there tonight as a "team player" and made a big-time play. The tipped interception wasn't his fault, and speaking of that - he was targeted in the red zone on it. Overall, I think this is a positive step towards Crabtree earning the confidence of his coaches and QB. It also helps that he is the most talented WR on the team. Basically, if Crabtree buys into the system the way Davis did last year, Singletary will make sure to feed him the ball. Buying into the system (aka the "Singletary brand") is very important to the Niners' coaches - in Davis' case, it was more important than consistent production.

I do not own Crabtree in any leagues because his cost was too high (like a borderline WR1), but after tonight, I am going to try to target him relentlessly because he showed heart and I'm confident he will turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith played well? He played better, but still had 2 picks and a lot of balls batted down. He's much of Crabtree's problem, not the other way around.
Crabtree is his own problem. He doesn't put the needed effort in the film room and it shows in his option routes. Smith doesn't trust him to make reads and given his effort on INTs (ie I would rather have a punter/kicker/extra QB out there trying to make the tackle), the last place you want to make a mistake on an option route is on his side of the field. The offense will move forward without him. No more dumming down the playbook, like last year, to accomodate one player.

Crabtree haters will need to do something soon: :shrug:

This kid is incredibly talented. In fact, one of the most talented WRs in the game today. In my main keeper/ppr league i had to reach for him and pick him at #37 (keeper start draft). He is that good. Has he been off his game thus far? Of course he has. But the talent in there to be a top 3-5 WR in the future, whether he realizes that talent is anyone's guess, but i love to be on the ride to find out.

My take based on articles, puff pieces, Maiocco blurbs, etc. is that Crabtree has to pay his dues to the team to earn their trust and confidence. I thought he looked great out there tonight as a "team player" and made a big-time play. The tipped interception wasn't his fault, and speaking of that - he was targeted in the red zone on it. Overall, I think this is a positive step towards Crabtree earning the confidence of his coaches and QB. It also helps that he is the most talented WR on the team. Basically, if Crabtree buys into the system the way Davis did last year, Singletary will make sure to feed him the ball. Buying into the system (aka the "Singletary brand") is very important to the Niners' coaches - in Davis' case, it was more important than consistent production.I do not own Crabtree in any leagues because his cost was too high (like a borderline WR1), but after tonight, I am going to try to target him relentlessly because he showed heart and I'm confident he will turn it around.
Agreed. He was in my lineup this week and I have been concerned but after that catch he made a couple moves and showed that he needs the ball more. After the tip and that endzone look/target I do go away feeling better. That said I still need his targets to get up towards 6+ before I consider starting him again. Hopefully he doesnt do/say anything to end up back in the dog house. Crabtree obviously gives SF a better chance to win but Singletary will not hesitate to send a message possibly at the cost of a W. Glad this was a Mon night game as the box score doesnt tell the whole story. :lmao:

My take based on articles, puff pieces, Maiocco blurbs, etc. is that Crabtree has to pay his dues to the team to earn their trust and confidence. I thought he looked great out there tonight as a "team player" and made a big-time play. The tipped interception wasn't his fault, and speaking of that - he was targeted in the red zone on it. Overall, I think this is a positive step towards Crabtree earning the confidence of his coaches and QB. It also helps that he is the most talented WR on the team. Basically, if Crabtree buys into the system the way Davis did last year, Singletary will make sure to feed him the ball. Buying into the system (aka the "Singletary brand") is very important to the Niners' coaches - in Davis' case, it was more important than consistent production.I do not own Crabtree in any leagues because his cost was too high (like a borderline WR1), but after tonight, I am going to try to target him relentlessly because he showed heart and I'm confident he will turn it around.
I agree with this assessment!

I agree with this assessment!

I agree with the assessment that he played a great team game last night despite the lack of stats. Wouldnt be shocked if Singletary raves about him this week. That being said I dont think I can start him next week.

Crabtree is his own problem. He doesn't put the needed effort in the film room and it shows in his option routes. Smith doesn't trust him to make reads and given his effort on INTs (ie I would rather have a punter/kicker/extra QB out there trying to make the tackle), the last place you want to make a mistake on an option route is on his side of the field. The offense will move forward without him. No more dumming down the playbook, like last year, to accomodate one player.
I think you're way off on the bold, at least concerning the tipped ball INT last night. He grabbed at the defender as he was falling down and slowed him up a little, then he got back off the ground and dove at him again hitting his legs. I thought he made an excellent effort on that one. I've seen tipped INTs where the WR just keeps running his route away from the defender that picked it off.

ConstruxBoy said:
Short Corner said:
tim_whatley said:
Go deep said:
I think you're way off on the bold, at least concerning the tipped ball INT last night. He grabbed at the defender as he was falling down and slowed him up a little, then he got back off the ground and dove at him again hitting his legs. I thought he made an excellent effort on that one. I've seen tipped INTs where the WR just keeps running his route away from the defender that picked it off.
I am talking about the pick 6 from week 1LINK

mdlane said:
I agree with this. I think last night he was purely a decoy (he did draw extra coverage from NO) and was relegated to making hustle plays. I actually was impressed with him getting down field and making some blocks, going after the guy on the INT, and running hard even though alex smith didn't even bother to look his way. I actually think he is a quality buy low guy right now ... granted you are still putting your eggs in the Alex Smith basket.

From what I saw last night, Alex looked his way several times but got flushed out of the pocket or was indecisive. So I'd say it was a product of a good defense, and a QB that still needs more experience.

He has tremendous talent and will be really good some day, but should be benched until some day comes. Which means don't drop the guy, he could be very valuable towards the end of the year.

This is a perfect buy low situation...sharks?

The one thing I saw last night, which I have not seen so far this year, was his intensity. He was blocking hard, working for Alex when he was flushed out of the pocket, and when he did get the ball (his only catch) he fought for extra yards. I have been a huge Crabtree hater up until last nights game...I believe I will be targeting him in my leagues.

mdlane said:
I agree with this. The concern I had with Crabtree heading into the season was Smith...namely was he good enough to make use of Crabtree. While Crabtree wasn't a part of the offense last night for the most part, Smith showed me that he's legit so while there will be some games Crabtree simply doesn't produce, I think the chances are better that he'll get his at some point.

mdlane said:
My take based on articles, puff pieces, Maiocco blurbs, etc. is that Crabtree has to pay his dues to the team to earn their trust and confidence. I thought he looked great out there tonight as a "team player" and made a big-time play. The tipped interception wasn't his fault, and speaking of that - he was targeted in the red zone on it. Overall, I think this is a positive step towards Crabtree earning the confidence of his coaches and QB. It also helps that he is the most talented WR on the team. Basically, if Crabtree buys into the system the way Davis did last year, Singletary will make sure to feed him the ball. Buying into the system (aka the "Singletary brand") is very important to the Niners' coaches - in Davis' case, it was more important than consistent production.

I do not own Crabtree in any leagues because his cost was too high (like a borderline WR1), but after tonight, I am going to try to target him relentlessly because he showed heart and I'm confident he will turn it around.
I agree with this. The concern I had with Crabtree heading into the season was Smith...namely was he good enough to make use of Crabtree. While Crabtree wasn't a part of the offense last night for the most part, Smith showed me that he's legit so while there will be some games Crabtree simply doesn't produce, I think the chances are better that he'll get his at some point.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, you're throwing out all of week one and most of last season.Smith had a decent game last night, but I'm sure most of this season's remaining games, he'll go back to the old awful Alex Smith.

mdlane said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, you're throwing out all of week one and most of last season.
Smith looked really good last season

mdlane said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, you're throwing out all of week one and most of last season.
Smith looked really good last season
I don't know if I'd say he looked "really good" last season, unless by that you mean one of the bottom third starters in the league.

Does anyone know if Singletary 'signed on' to the high draft pick choice of Crabtree, or was this a decision he inherited when he got the coaching job?

I watched some of the 49ers today. Wow were they bad. Just unbelievably awful in every facet of the game.

Their pop gun offense is a complete joke, particularly the passing game. Look at these target numbers from today:

Josh Morgan - 1

Vernon Davis - 6

Michael Crabtree - 8

Frank Gore - 13

The lack of creativity is just astounding. If Smith isn't handing off to Gore, he's dropping back and looking for him in the flat as a first read.

Singletary's "rah rah" act is wearing thin. He and his staff are being badly outcoached on a regular basis. The 49ers have more talent than the Seahawks and the Chiefs. They shouldn't be losing to these teams, but they're not only losing, they're getting dominated. Everything Kansas City tried worked today. They got a sack off a three man rush. They scored a long touchdown on a gimmick trick play. They completely shut down the Niner offense.

It's hard to evaluate Crabtree, Davis, and Morgan in the context of a team that's afraid to throw the ball more than 3 yards downfield with a QB who fears for his life every time he drops back.

I blame it on the coaching. This staff has no balls, no brains, and no imagination.

Let's just hope it won't be long until they have no jobs.

spider321 said:
akaoni said:
With the turnover at OC am I wrong to start looking to buy Crabtree low?
In a redraft, yes.In a dynasty, no.
I agree with this.It's really hard to get excited about Crabtree in redraft. He'll have a good game sooner or later, but thus far there has been no indication that he'll emerge as a reliable weekly play. In dynasty I think he's still a quality option, particularly for rebuilding teams. He's probably not as a good as I thought he was, but he can still be a perennial 1000 yard guy. We're not seeing it right now because he isn't getting enough quality looks.

akaoni said:
With the turnover at OC am I wrong to start looking to buy Crabtree low?
I tried to buy low last week but it didn't work out. I'm less optimistic about him now. I think there are probably a couple of guys on the waiver wire that will put up better numbers this year.

From Mike Sando's blog on the NFC West, quoting David White of the San Francisco Chronicle:

"Crabtree says he was merely doing his job and did not run the wrong route on a pass that was intercepted. Crabtree: 'All I can do is my job. I can't really worry about what Alex is doing. Even though that's my quarterback, and I'll always have his back, whoever the quarterback is, I'm just doing my job.' That does not appear to be a quote born of maturity. It looks like more evidence Crabtree and Smith aren't in sync."

Not a good sign of Crabtree and Smith being on the same page, and not an indicator of improvement. Although the new offensive coordinator may turn things around, I'm not as optimistic about Crabtree as I was before. Doesn't sound like he wants to put in any work to improve himself, and he's basically throwing Smith under the bus with the whole "whoever the quarterback is" talk.

samuel OUT this sunday.

does this make crabs startable, or is philly front 7 too tough?

gb @phi

rodgers - 19/31 188/2/2

jennings - 5/82/1

phi @det

hill - 25/45 335/2/2

calvin - 4/50/1

phi @jax

garrard - 13/30 105/0/1

msw - 2/34/0

deadskins @phi

mcnabb - 8/19 125/1/1

moss - 0/0/0

above games with samuel, of course.

Thinking of dropping Crabtree in a redraft to pick up Demaryius Thomas. Crabtree does not appear close to scratching the surface of my lineup anytime soon. Neither would Thomas. Wondering which could pan out and be option down the road.

When upper half of the draft drafted players don't pan out and they languish on your fantasy bench, how do others guage their rosterability?

It seems to make sense that if I am waiting for Crabtree to develop into the starter I thought he would have been by now, that I should be willing to wait for another player, who was not on a redraft board during the pre-season but is showing a good possibility to be develop into the starting WR I had hoped Crabs to be. Basically, need to wait on 2 guys - neither of which could crack line up now, but should be better down the road - which would be better? Go with the better.

Im actually starting crabtree for the first time this year this week and sitting malcom floyd. Got a bad feeling about SD getting up early again and not passing. Samuel is out for philly, they are gonna have to throw agaisnt philly this week..

Thinking of dropping Crabtree in a redraft to pick up Demaryius Thomas. Crabtree does not appear close to scratching the surface of my lineup anytime soon. Neither would Thomas. Wondering which could pan out and be option down the road.When upper half of the draft drafted players don't pan out and they languish on your fantasy bench, how do others guage their rosterability? It seems to make sense that if I am waiting for Crabtree to develop into the starter I thought he would have been by now, that I should be willing to wait for another player, who was not on a redraft board during the pre-season but is showing a good possibility to be develop into the starting WR I had hoped Crabs to be. Basically, need to wait on 2 guys - neither of which could crack line up now, but should be better down the road - which would be better? Go with the better.
its hard to crack a line up when you avg 4 points a game and 10 is your season high output.... :confused:

Im actually starting crabtree for the first time this year this week and sitting malcom floyd. Got a bad feeling about SD getting up early again and not passing. Samuel is out for philly, they are gonna have to throw agaisnt philly this week..
Have to throw? Are you saying this because you think Kolb will generate a lot of points vs the 49ers defense?Its the Eagles run defense that has shown the most vulnerability.

Have to throw? Are you saying this because you think Kolb will generate a lot of points vs the 49ers defense?Its the Eagles run defense that has shown the most vulnerability.
I agree.if I'm sf I run 50x.

I just think Philly will really stack up against the run this week leaving the pass vulnerable. Just a gut feeling. I think if their is ever a week to play crabtree this is it...

gary mexico said:
I got the same two guys and have Floyd in right now. Comes down to which qb I can trust more, and I just cant trust Smith to get Crabtree the ball consistently

I'm going Kenny Britt over Crabtree this week.. Hope Britt can keep putting up some points

gary mexico said:
I got the same two guys and have Floyd in right now. Comes down to which qb I can trust more, and I just cant trust Smith to get Crabtree the ball consistently
Floyd will be covered by one of if not the best corners in the league this week while facing Oakland, so I don't see many passes coming his way. I would look elseware and maybe even a one week waiver wire fill in over Floyd this week.

gary mexico said:
Floyd will be covered by one of if not the best corners in the league this week while facing Oakland, so I don't see many passes coming his way. I would look elseware and maybe even a one week waiver wire fill in over Floyd this week.
I'm not actually pimping floyd, but I'm not so sure that's true.aso might follow him, or he might just cover his half of the field --- in any case, jackson has had a ton of success vs oakland in the past, and I don't think rivers is shy about throwing at whoever aso covers.

Call it a gut feeling, but i think Crabtree comes through this week. This is the week! Last week he showed some signs of life, and remember, Crabtree is still in his 2nd year. This guy will be an absolute stud in the future, the question is WHEN? I think it starts this week, and Crabtree takes his place as the #1 passing option in the 49rs offense.

Of course i've been dissappointed by this guy before. I still love him in my dynasty league, but in my redraft, there are questions. He hasn't started in either for a while, but this week he is in the starting lineup. My other 2 WRs are 1st and 2nd round picks, so he has tough competition to live up to, but i have a feeling he does.

(the above is a post filled with absolutely no useful information, it is packed with "gut feeling" and wishful thinking. Caveat Emptor).

Call it a gut feeling, but i think Crabtree comes through this week. This is the week! Last week he showed some signs of life, and remember, Crabtree is still in his 2nd year. This guy will be an absolute stud in the future, the question is WHEN? I think it starts this week, and Crabtree takes his place as the #1 passing option in the 49rs offense.Of course i've been dissappointed by this guy before. I still love him in my dynasty league, but in my redraft, there are questions. He hasn't started in either for a while, but this week he is in the starting lineup. My other 2 WRs are 1st and 2nd round picks, so he has tough competition to live up to, but i have a feeling he does.(the above is a post filled with absolutely no useful information, it is packed with "gut feeling" and wishful thinking. Caveat Emptor).
sick call bro

Oops

Ouch

Users who are viewing this thread