What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dating Advice - I blew and now acting on emotion. Is there anything I can do now? (2 Viewers)

It's over. Seems like it has been over for her for a few months now. Grieve for a bit, since this seems like your first real relationship, then put it behind you and move on. Lots of people have mentioned hitting the gym, I'd also recommend learning a musical instrument. It's a good distraction, and eventually can be a good outlet for whatever you're feeling. It also makes you more interesting (well, somewhat depending on the instrument chosen). I don't know that you're ready to jump right back into dating other folks right now either, even casual sex, seems like you need to get your head together a bit first.

If she was at all interested in keeping this thing going, she'd have let you know, in definite terms, by now. Time to let it go. Learn from it and figure out where you want to go from here - without her.

She did say out loud that she wasn't sure that she was actually ready for this relationship after her past ones, and that my lack of relationship experience are both real issues and made her have to understand what was next for us.
here comes the wind-up

She sort of hinted at dating outside of us, and that we could find our way back to each other
and she grooved a 102 mph fastball right over the plate

it's over. sorry. she told you but in a way that a woman trying not to hurt someone's feelings would.

sucks, but she's gone and since you don't live near there isn't even a chance of the old "rocking the Coke machine" ending.

It’s actually painful to think of the dating opportunities here, and he doesn’t even want it. Marriage is great and all but man, relish those single days. Relationships fizzle, it happens. There is nothing more therapeutic and life-affirming than a new fling, especially if you can find women who are a little off-kilter, maybe a couple DUIs. The crazier the better at this stage. Nothing is hotter than a girl with chipped nail polish and a raspy voice.

She did say out loud that she wasn't sure that she was actually ready for this relationship after her past ones, and that my lack of relationship experience are both real issues and made her have to understand what was next for us.
here comes the wind-up

She sort of hinted at dating outside of us, and that we could find our way back to each other

it's over. sorry. she told you but in a way that a woman trying not to hurt someone's feelings would.

sucks, but she's gone and since you don't live near there isn't even a chance of the old "rocking the Coke machine" ending.
This.

I'm an old man, with ancient dating experience, but this is obvious to anyone not invested in the relationship (i.e. everyone but you). Dude... it's hard to hear and hard to accept, I get it. But please, for your own sake, take the advice that us sage veterans are giving you and let it go. Don't play games, don't hold on to any attempts to reach out, don't expect anything except what you are getting now... radio silence.

I give the relationship a .5% chance of working out if you move on now. Things may resolve themselves in the future... stranger things have happened. What I can guarantee is that there is a 100% chance the relationship will fail if you continue to pursue it, and make a fool of yourself in the process.

Again, I get it... it hurts. You can suffer for months or years if you continue to try to resurrect things. Or, pull the band-aid off and it'll hurt for a few weeks.

Oh, and if/when she reaches out... treat/talk/text her like you would a guy friend. Short, factual, few details, etc. It's not a game, it's your sanity and well being at stake.

You're now George Costanza and you should do the opposite of whatever you think is right. Every time you think she's perfect, amazing, you blew it etc. Just remember how bad you're hurting......she's knows your hurting that bad......and she doesn't care.
This seems a little harsh. I think she may still care. But, she has to balance that care with her lack of desire to continue the relationship.
Disagree. If she cared he was hurting, she'd have responded. Even if it's just a.....I need time or I'm done. She's mad at him because now he's come through too late. After a relationship is over, women are ice cold. Feels almost heartless to the guy.
Again, men do exactly the same things.

As far as I can tell, she just doesn't want to be "mean" and tell him to go away. Most poeple suck at that. It's always preferable to just ssay the words, but most just can't/won't. And it can be much harder for women because they are taught they have to be "nice".

Aye bro, sorry but it's over. You said you've been together about a year? Don't make this a 2 year relationship, the second of which you're the only one in it....mopping about a chick you knew for 12 months.

Feel bad for yourself for a few weeks, and then get out on the scene. Cuffing season is coming up, you might not even be out as long as you'd expect. Anything can happen, but you gotta get out and take those first steps.

here comes the wind-up

This.

I'm an old man, with ancient dating experience, but this is obvious to anyone not invested in the relationship (i.e. everyone but you). Dude... it's hard to hear and hard to accept, I get it. But please, for your own sake, take the advice that us sage veterans are giving you and let it go. Don't play games, don't hold on to any attempts to reach out, don't expect anything except what you are getting now... radio silence.

I give the relationship a .5% chance of working out if you move on now. Things may resolve themselves in the future... stranger things have happened. What I can guarantee is that there is a 100% chance the relationship will fail if you continue to pursue it, and make a fool of yourself in the process.

Again, I get it... it hurts. You can suffer for months or years if you continue to try to resurrect things. Or, pull the band-aid off and it'll hurt for a few weeks.

Oh, and if/when she reaches out... treat/talk/text her like you would a guy friend. Short, factual, few details, etc. It's not a game, it's your sanity and well being at stake.

So, you're saying there's a chance?

Last edited:
here comes the wind-up

This.

So, your saying there's a chance?
What was all that one in a million talk?

Again, men do exactly the same things.

As far as I can tell, she just doesn't want to be "mean" and tell him to go away. Most poeple suck at that. It's always preferable to just ssay the words, but most just can't/won't. And it can be much harder for women because they are taught they have to be "nice".
yeah

it's really, really, really difficult to sit down and have the "it's over" conversation. most times you can just feel it in the air and realize it's time to move along.

different if you're married/living together/have children together. then a "we need to talk" exit is necessary.

it cuts both ways. in the end nobody wants to be a jerk... directly... to someone they care(d) about.

Look - it totally sucks right now. We all know that. But that's part of it. You mentioned you don't have a lot of dating experience - well, you have some now.

If she comes back she does. If not, there are a TON of women out in the world. And that, my friend, is what makes the next step so much fun. You've learned some things about yourself and the next woman in your life will benefit from that. Or the one after that.

I'm not good at meeting women. I don't even know where. I am so afraid that a year from now, I'll be on my own like I was before this girl that has made me a wreck.
I don't know where to go, I don't have much of a game....I'm not a bad looking person, I have a good career, and I'm a good person. I'm not a disaster in any sense, but I don't know much about meeting women and then going from there.
That probably adds to my current state. I am so afraid that I threw something aside that was great and now I am alone again.

As for meeting women, sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone. If you're the type of guy who just goes home after work, change that.

Do you have any hobbies? Running, sports, movies, etc....? Join a meet-up group in your city and meet some new people. Easier said than done, but what the heck. Try something new.
Chief's 'go to' is to hang out by the shovel section at the local Home Depot, and as solo women come by, he leans in and asks, "can you dig it?"

here comes the wind-up

This.

Yep, this is sage advice. My wife and I celebrated our 29th this weekend. We have been together since basically high school, so my dating experience is obviously dated, but anyone with a nose on their face can see this for what it is. You guys grew apart. It happens. She went to lunch with you as closure for herself. She was thinking "Let me see if I still have any kind of feelings for this guy," and she got the answer that it is not to be. The whole "seeing other people" is like the death phrase for any relationship. It either means they are already actively seeing someone or they are saying this to completely manipulate you--either are equally abhorrent and are the things ex's do.

Let's face it, if she comes back tomorrow and says, "Wow, all these things you said are just amazing and I am so glad you are going to change all these things about yourself," you will ultimately hate yourself and the relationship will fail because you wouldn't be true to yourself and be able to keep it up. Don't be desperate. You remind me of a guy at a car lot that falls in love with a car. Salesman comes back and says we need more down and the monthly payment will go up. You want the car so badly that you sign a contract with money you don't have and a payment you can't afford and then what ultimately happens? You lose the car to a repo, not before your credit and life are destroyed.

Relationships are give and take, but when it becomes an 80/20 or even a 70/30 proposition, it will not last.

Where I disagree with others (and yes I am a 53 year old guy), please work on yourself. Don't jump in the dating water right now. All you will do is further confuse yourself and possibly worse yet, end up finding someone great (but you won't recognize it) and end up causing them pain like you are feeling now. Women love guys that have their sh.. together and are confident. Play the long game. Get your head and body in a good place and you will find Ms. Right down the road.

I kinda skimmed your post b/c was long, seems like she should've come out and said she wanted the relationship to be over, after all you dated for 15 months not 3, just to help with context what age range are we talking about here?

This situation was covered in depth in the movie Swingers. Check it out. All the answers to your questions are in that film. If you can’t figure out your path forward after watching Swingers, nobody in here can help you.

Sorry that you are hurting OP but the girl is gone. It happens. Life sucks now but It will get better. Keep yourself busy. Hit the gym with a mission. Improve your golf game. Find a new hobby. There are so many women out there and you have been given the opportunity to kick the tires on a bunch of them and find a great one.

Breaking news:

She provided an update: I need guidance. It doesn't mean good news - she just opened a line of communication which appears good.
I don't know what she wants to actually talk about and maybe she's opening a line of communication to cut my head off.

Reminder. I am so "in" on and want to make things right - she is the girl of my dreams and I made huge mistakes in taking her for granted. I don't know that she wants me back. In all honesty, if she wants a future still so I am still cautious, but I want to put it all out there. I said a lot in my long-winded message, but more to come.

"Hi, I did get the flowers that was a nice gesture. Let's talk tomorrow after work."

I haven’t read through this thread so I apologize if my answer is repetitive and redundant with others. I’ve had experience with long distance relationships. Unfortunately—and this is my opinion only—the fact that she brought up the idea of dating outside of your relationship—while at the same time her relationship with you is starting to feel more and more sterile (not as many phone conversations, not as many visits in person, sterile sounding texts..etc) is a pretty telling sign. If I was a betting man—I would bet that she’s probably already seeing other people. Your best move is to move on and be the best version of you possible. The more you act and look like damaged goods—the less desirable you look and are to future potential partners and to the woman being discussed in this thread. Invest in yourself—start killing it at work and make more money, work out more and get yourself in the best health ever, engage in hobbies and learn about new things so that you always have cool/new/exciting things to talk about. Regardless—with all of that said—I wish you all of the best with your situation.

Any disc golf leagues nearby? Happy hours with coworkers (do people do that anymore)? Immerse yourself in anything else right now, seems like you need it. Having a good time without thinking about her at all will feel amazing, and it’s the first step to realizing you’ll be fine without her.

That's also a struggle. I am so messed up. This is what I am thinking about and I don't really have any good distractions. I just want things back but know it's out of my control now. I hope this gets better.
Hang in there man, you will get through it. Set up a Tinder profile and use this freedom to your advantage as well. Us old guys didn’t have the dating apps, take advantage. 😉

Breaking news:

She provided an update: I need guidance. It doesn't mean good news - she just opened a line of communication which appears good.
I don't know what she wants to actually talk about and maybe she's opening a line of communication to cut my head off.

Reminder. I am so "in" on and want to make things right - she is the girl of my dreams and I made huge mistakes in taking her for granted. I don't know that she wants me back. In all honesty, if she wants a future still so I am still cautious, but I want to put it all out there. I said a lot in my long-winded message, but more to come.

"Hi, I did get the flowers that was a nice gesture. Let's talk tomorrow after work."
Tell her you need space

I am honestly so nervous. I did take this as good news originally. I just hope she wants to keep going.

I am going to be self-reflective, tell how that I am sorry, that I love her and tell her how much I will do the things that she recognized

Gonna be honest with you, man, I'd prepare for the worst. I know you've heard this repeatedly in here, but it sounds like she tried to gently break up with you, and she has now realized that you didn't really take the hint. I would expect her to be a little more forceful, honest, and vocal about it when you talk - i.e. she's going to try to make sure she gets her point across better this time. As said above, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I am honestly so nervous. I did take this as good news originally. I just hope she wants to keep going.

I am going to be self-reflective, tell how that I am sorry, that I love her and tell her how much I will do the things that she recognized
Don't want to be a downer, but this is 100% going to be her telling you it's over. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong, but you need to prepare for that. Don't let it hit you like a ton of bricks. And your response should be "Understood, I wish you all the best with your life...". No groveling, don't ask for a reason, an explanation or rational. Don't ask "what did I do wrong?". Let it go. Be a man (sorry if that sounds unwoke, but that's the way it is).

Gonna be honest with you, man, I'd prepare for the worst. I know you've heard this repeatedly in here, but it sounds like she tried to gently break up with you, and she has now realized that you didn't really take the hint. I would expect her to be a little more forceful, honest, and vocal about it when you talk - i.e. she's going to try to make sure she gets her point across better this time. As said above, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
this

when i was around..... 18-19.... i didn't get the hint, sent flowers, got the "hey, thanks for the flowers... let's talk" line and it went............ as expected.

all these years later we're friendly and if i ran in to her we could have a great conversation and all, but that relationship door slammed shut. and then she sealed it forever.

Don't want to be a downer, but this is 100% going to be her telling you it's over. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong, but you need to prepare for that. Don't let it hit you like a ton of bricks. And your response should be "Understood, I wish you all the best with your life...". No groveling, don't ask for a reason, an explanation or rational. Don't ask "what did I do wrong?". Let it go. Be a man (sorry if that sounds unwoke, but that's the way it is).

This is a definite possibility and maybe the biggest probability.

I don't know, given her lack of recent response, that I wasn't even going to get a response.

She could have chosen to not respond, or even make it clear on message that she was done or needed space, etc. She has always been a strong communicator and has strong opinions about how a healthy relationship for her looks like. Obviously, in the past 2-3 months, things have not been healthy for her.

It's possible she has given enough signs - not talking as much in August, not seeing each other, etc. to where she just wants to be clear tonight so avoid any uncertainty for me.

I also am questioning everything now. I don't know that the word 'gesture' is a good thing. It almost feels like "thanks for trying, but".....

I hope I'm wrong.

The positive side of me is that she did need space, maybe me putting myself out there in my message helped her see that I am recognizing some of my issues. Maybe that she could have just chosen to not reply would have said a lot, and is willing to have a conversation could indicate there is something left.

this

when i was around..... 18-19.... i didn't get the hint, sent flowers, got the "hey, thanks for the flowers... let's talk" line and it went............ as expected.

all these years later we're friendly and if i ran in to her we could have a great conversation and all, but that relationship door slammed shut. and then she sealed it forever.

I may not have gotten the hint, but I also have been in this relationship for 15-16 months before things have gone backwards.
From a positive point of view, I hope that I have at least opened the door to her. I do think our relationship has been important to her as well. Maybe it's too little too late, probably may be the answer, but I'm trying to be positive. I don't know that I was expecting a response even though that would be unlike her.

If she does end it, please make up a story about feeling partially relieved because as luck would have it you met an amazing woman on Tinder and there’s a spark there that you haven’t felt in a long time.

How old are you?

I can't figure out if this is a troll attempt - nicely done, if so
It’s quite a revelation, after you go around acting like female affection is a rare commodity to be guarded at all costs, to find that it’s more like a spigot that’s open full blast and you can drink to your heart’s content. I was very much like this dude in my early 20’s. If it’s a troll job, he deserves an Oscar.

Breaking news:

Hmmm if you have plans and are busy, don't change them. If you take the call/meeting or whatever, have little to no expectations. And, finally, if she breaks up with you there's nothing you can say so less is more. Don't beg, don't complain, etc. If anything say that you appreciate her telling you directly, that you appreciated the relationship, and you wish her the best. No more.

Then hang up and have a good cry if need be. But don't initiate contact again if you want any chance of her coming back.

this

I may not have gotten the hint, but I also have been in this relationship for 15-16 months before things have gone backwards.
From a positive point of view, I hope that I have at least opened the door to her. I do think our relationship has been important to her as well. Maybe it's too little too late, probably may be the answer, but I'm trying to be positive. I don't know that I was expecting a response even though that would be unlike her.
Being positive is good (and do your best to sound positive on the phone), but to continue your door analogy it's quite possible that she tried to shut the door gently at your lunch meeting but you forced it back open with your flowers and now she needs to shut it more firmly and lock it.

this

Being positive is good (and do your best to sound positive on the phone), but to continue your door analogy it's quite possible that she tried to shut the door gently at your lunch meeting but you forced it back open with your flowers and now she needs to shut it more firmly and lock it.
Yep, that's what this could be. I'm trying to mentally prepare for that.

5 Stages of Grief
  • denial <- where you are
  • anger <-find anywhere but your phone call to experience this
  • bargaining <- find anywhere but your phone call to experience this
  • depression
  • acceptance

Last edited:
5 Stages of Grief
  • denial <- where you are
  • anger <-find anywhere but your phone call to experience this
  • bargaining <- find anywhere but your phone call to experience this
  • depression
  • acceptance
Acceptance usually equals copious amount of sex (quite possibly with her later amongst others).

It's the best stage! So, try to get there as reasonably soon as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread