What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Defensive player of the year (1 Viewer)

Top defensive player 2009

• Charles Woodson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darrelle Revis

• Elvis Dumervil

• Patrick Willis

• Other

• Total voters

JJP

Footballguy
Willis led the NFL with 152 tackles, Dumervil led with 17 sacks. Woodson, Sharper, Samuels and Byrd all had 9 ints, Revis had 6 but was a monster locking down on everyone he faced.

Like Rex has said, when you have a guy that can cover like Revis you don't ask him to do anything else and Woodson can't cover like Revis.

That said, there was little doubt in my mind that the guy with the more flash was going to get the award...

And IMO, you can't go horrible "Wrong" with that... Predictable, yes, but wrong? Nah, Woodson had a tremendous year and Hats off to him.

Top defensive player = Woodson. Top defensive back = Revis. If that makes any sense at all. It goes along the lines of what Reaper said.

Only 2 guys belong in the discussion.
:D Having watched them both, A LOT, I would have gone Revis. He is a game changer. The good news is that he has time to win this award multiple times.He will evenutally go down as one of, if not the, greatest corner to ever play the game.

Like Rex has said, when you have a guy that can cover like Revis you don't ask him to do anything else and Woodson can't cover like Revis.That said, there was little doubt in my mind that the guy with the more flash was going to get the award...And IMO, you can't go horrible "Wrong" with that... Predictable, yes, but wrong? Nah, Woodson had a tremendous year and Hats off to him.
Well put. Woodson is more flashy. I guess breaking up passes or forcing a QB to look to another receiver will never make the ESPN highlight reels. But Revis had an amazing season.

I certainly don't think you can argue too vehemently about this, both were deserving in their own way. You might argue that you would rather have Revis than Woodson if you were building a team, but that's a specious argument that can be made almost any year. Would you want Jerome Harrison above any other linebacker if you were building a team from scratch?

Charles Woodson had a helluva year. But Im gonna have to dig deep to recall the last time a D-MVP's team gave up a 50-burger in a playoff game. Woodson's secondary allowed 5Kurt Warner TDs?? I guess they got it right. I dont know. Seemed like Sharper turning NO around was the correct call, imo.

Like Rex has said, when you have a guy that can cover like Revis you don't ask him to do anything else and Woodson can't cover like Revis.

That said, there was little doubt in my mind that the guy with the more flash was going to get the award...

And IMO, you can't go horrible "Wrong" with that... Predictable, yes, but wrong? Nah, Woodson had a tremendous year and Hats off to him.
Well put. Woodson is more flashy. I guess breaking up passes or forcing a QB to look to another receiver will never make the ESPN highlight reels. But Revis had an amazing season.
Woodson played 989 snaps and faced 76 pass attempts. So, he was targeted 7.7% of the plays he was on the field.Revis played 1008 snaps and faced 111 pass attempts. So, he was targeted 11.0% of the plays he was on the field.

The Packers (540) faced 39 more pass attempts than the Jets (501). So, Revis was targeted on 22.2% of his opponent's pass attempts. Woodson was targeted on 14.1%.

Woodson played 989 snaps and faced 76 pass attempts. So, he was targeted 7.7% of the plays he was on the field.Revis played 1008 snaps and faced 111 pass attempts. So, he was targeted 11.0% of the plays he was on the field.

The Packers (540) faced 39 more pass attempts than the Jets (501). So, Revis was targeted on 22.2% of his opponent's pass attempts. Woodson was targeted on 14.1%.
I know everyone has seen that list of WRs that Revis covered/shut down this year... could this have more to do with the fact that Revis faced a lot of the best WRs in the game, a lot of true #1s? Maybe Woodson covered some more 1a/1b types?I'm just throwing this out there... I don't really care enough to look up the stats... :thumbdown:

ETA: I wasn't very clear. I was saying, maybe Woodson played against teams with a better second option, so if Woodson had good coverage the opposing QB went to the 1b receiver. I know Revis faced a lot of true #1 WR so the QB would be more inclined to force it into tight coverage, or might think his stud WR could make a tough catch against good coverage. So using targets is tricky.....

Last edited by a moderator:

OK, so Revis was targeted more. But who gave up more completions between the two and yardage? I will be shocked if Revis allowed more catches and yardage. I've always felt Woodson was more of a gambler; he'll make big plays but he may open himself up to get burned more. Even Devin Aromashadu caught 8 passes on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even Devin Aromashadu caught 8 passes on him.
On him? he was covering him on every play? I highly doubt that. And for those talking about the playoff game, keep in mind the amount of zone Green Bay was forced to play in that game due to injury. Without Al Harris and Atari Bigby (and Will Blackmon and Pat Lee), that secondary was severely limited.

Profootballfocus has a nice collection of stats to compare.

Completion %: Revis 37.9% to Woodson 51.3% (Revis thrown at 111 times, Woodson 76 times)

Touchdowns allowed: Revis 2 to woodson 5

Passs defensed: Revis 23 to woodson 8

Ints: Woodson 9 to Revis 6

TDs: Woodson 3 to Revis 1

Woodson also involved in rushing the passer with 2 sacks, 2 hits and 6 QB pressures. Revis not at all.

They indicate Woodson was much stronger in run support (not clear how this is calculated).

Overall their statistics give the nod to Woodson

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Users who are viewing this thread