What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

Yeah, both rh albums, my bloody valentine, blue album, remain in light, probably a couple others I'm not remembering. Some serious heavy hitter and steals coming off the board at a torrid pace
I have a couple more that could have gone rally high.

What's you Blue song votes @Buffaloes

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get some Steely Dan on my island, especially before Binky is up since he yelled at me for talking about them earlier. 

This is a classic and one of my favorites. Aja is a more complete album but this has a couple of my all time favorite songs. Yo Mama selects:

15.19 - Steely Dan - Can’t Buy a Thrill (1972)

1 - Do It Again

2 - Dirty Work

3 - Kings

4 - Midnite Cruiser

5 - Only a Fool Would Say That

6 - Reelin’ in the Years

7 - Fire in the Hole

8 - Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)

9 - Change of the Guard

10 - Turn That Heartbeat Over Again

Such a great debut album. I’m not messing around with my song choices:

Do It Again

Reelin’ In the Years
Updated with songs

I am still recovering from trauma on this one from college.  The guy next door to us had a tape he would play all the time.  Side A was Undone on repeat, side B was a song by somebody drafted but from an album that has not on repeat.  :wall:  
Poor Whitney and Megan who lived next to me freshman year and on various nights had to hear Billy Joel and others on repeat while I was up all night cramming for exams. 

dammit. I'm literally all over the place this afternoon.

nice day at the beach down here in MD- assateague island finally opened up this week, and even though it as supposed to thunderstorm all day, we rolled the dice to at least get a walk in. ended up beautiful all day. saw some of the wild horses. also one of the other beach-going groups took two baby goats (on leashes) to the beach for some reason. god bless the white trash riviera. water still freezing.

the way the picks have been going, I'm going to try to a hole as best I can here with a top to bottom favorite of mine...

15.... xxxxxx- xx xxxxx <redacted> ... dammit... don't do it, abrantes. :hot:  

15.... James Brown- The Payback 

the payback (please see interests in my profile at left <<<<<,)

mind power

apologies in advance for these being loooong, but that's part of what works best for me with this album. he's always been able to find that groove- but this one he allows to just stretch out and go. pretty much all his past albums, the songs just feel too short to me- like they were cut down from the actual version in the studio to fit on more standard LPs by the record company. not here. plus, I get the sense he started doing a lot of drugs between the previous album and this one...the funk and groove gets... dunno- filthier on the payback. love the idea of sitting on the beach on my island and just bopping the head along to these.

I'm probably not supposed to say Undone here, but "Undone"
I am still recovering from trauma on this one from college.  The guy next door to us had a tape he would play all the time.  Side A was Undone on repeat, side B was a song by somebody drafted but from an album that has not on repeat.  :wall:   
I was at a college party where The Blue Album was playing and someone had told me to put something on, or I wanted to put something on and I changed the song midway through Undone and a group of 4 or 5 guys got so incredibly mad at me. They were probably right, I was probably drunk and unaware of their approaching group singalong but I hadn't meant any harm, I just wanted to hear "Take Me Out" (or whatever it was at the time).

Yeah, both rh albums, my bloody valentine, blue album, remain in light, stripes, and probably a couple others I'm not remembering. Some serious heavy hitter and steals coming off the board at a torrid pace
yeah. 

I don't consider The Payback one of those heavy hitting classics... but I was waffling between about half a dozen albums that probably fit. one of which I wrote up twice before going with James (after looking at my list of albums so far). really hope it and the rest of them make it back to me.

PICK 15.21

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - EAT A PEACH

Songs

- Ain't Wastin' Time No More

- Melissa

Today is THE worst day for getting sniped since the tragic "George Harrison Incident".  I gotta get this now ...still on edge for at least another 5 albums.  
good lord...THIS one was still available?! it's a classics that shoudl've gone in the first few rounds run.

PICK 15.21

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - EAT A PEACH (1972)

Songs

- Ain't Wastin' Time No More

- Melissa

Today is THE worst day for getting sniped since the tragic "George Harrison Incident".  I gotta get this now ...still on edge for at least another 5 albums.  
This!!!  Was on my short list.  Have the original  vinyl right here.

First rounder in some drafts.

Mrs. Rannous said:
Foreplay/Long Time - Boston - So I've been anti- 8 minute guitar wankery songs in here, largely because I think they just repeat themselves over and over and so I take offense to the notion that the newer rock picks are "single groove" because that's literally what most of the old ones are to me. But this... this keeps changing and evolving and growing and getting better and better and better and should probably be one of the main touch points for when boomers talk about classic rock. I get the "first time reactions" to something like this.
Why do you think Ected wasn't exactly pleased when I took it?  That album wasn't like anything we'd ever heard.  I also got More Than a Feeling on my island.  The dude pretty much explains what makes it fanconsumatingtastic.
To think that this album was mostly written and performed by one guy, and in a lot of cases, he created most of the tech that is used in the album. Toss in the fact that it was done in 1976, makes it more incredible.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but I respect you guys when it comes to music.  Is ANYONE here familiar with the Hot Air Balloon rock opera?  

simey said:
I made a short video of the colony area that I have shown y'all in the past with pictures, so you can get an idea of the layout some. It's somewhat boring, and I'm attempting to upload it to youtube.  None of the cats are in it. They are hiding from the sun.  It is hot today. First sunny day in a week. My voice is a bit shaky in it from landscaping in the heat.   Here is a pic of when I first got the cat shack. The cat shack painted.  It is that color to try and match the storage units. I'll show you on the video it's newest version once it uploads.
I supposed we are to think that the BeeGees' "More Than A Woman" song "just happened" to be playing as you fired up the wagon?  

I was gonna put My Name is Jonas and Say it Ain't So on the playlist, but I would love some song feedback.  Anyone want anything different?  
If you need a tiebreaker - Jonas and Only in Dreams. But only if you need shoved off the fence. I figured out my one problem with this record when I tried to pick the songs - there isn't one. It's a sum-of-the-parts, which is why I went in other directions before. Great tier 2 option though. Need as many beginning-to-ender's as you can on your eternal island. 

since @PIK95 selected Life in a Glass House for shuffle, I thought this was worth a post

And 'Life In A Glasshouse', the album's finale, can be very hard going indeed, at least to begin with. Imagine Thom Yorke singing at a New Orleans funeral serenaded by Humphrey Lyttelton and a similarly grizzled-looking horn-playing chum of his who - according to Jonny Greenwood - had been let out of hospital, after undergoing open-heart surgery, the day before the session.
Brit jazz veteran Humphrey Lyttleton helps out on new album's free-form epic. Eight months ago, Radiohead were in the midst of the lengthy recording sessions that preceded Kid A. However, one track in particular - a predictably free-form, experimental number called Living In A Glass House - was proving tricky to complete. Unable to find a solution, guitarist Jonny Greenwood sat down and wrote a letter to the man he believed could help them out: Humphrey Lyttleton, septuagenarian jazz trumpeter and presenter of Radio 4's long-running panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. "It's probably an awful cheek and we're sure you're very busy," read Greenwood's suitably deferential missive, "but we're a bit stuck." Such politeness paid off and with Lyttleton's help 'Living In A Glass House' was eventually completed last summer. It's now set for release on Kid A's successor, Amnesiac, due for release on 4 June. "It's wild", says Lyttleton, sat in the dimly-lit back room of the Bull's Head, the Barnes pub where he and his band have enjoyed a 20-year residency. "It starts with me doing a sort of ad-libbed, bluesy, minor key meandering, then it gradually gets so that we're sort of playing real wild, primitive, New Orleans blues stuff." He lifts his trumpet and gives Q a short blast by way of explanation. "Skronnnk!"

Inevitably, Lyttleton, who during the 1950s was at the forefront of the trad jazz movement in Britain, had never heard of Radiohead before their collaboration. After borrowing OK Computer from his daughter and a brief meeting with Greenwood, the trumpet master and his usual quintet joined the rest of the band in a recording studio in Bayswater. "People had said that they were all crazy but in fact we had a good time", he says. But it took a while for both parties to get familiarized. "Nobody knew what anybody was going to do!" says Lyttleton. "They didn't want it to sound like a slick studio production but a slightly exploratory thing of people playing as if they didn't have it all planned out in advance. However, I detected some sort of eye-rolling at the start of the session, as if to say we were miles apart. They went through quite a few nervous breakdowns during the course of it all, just through trying to explain to us all what they wanted. Thom Yorke's behaviour was especially curious. "Thom was doing his vocals and he'd have vanished from view altogether", says Lyttleton. "He'd be sitting cross-legged in some sort of meditative posture at the bottom of the vocal booth."

The session lasted seven hours, leaving Lyttleton exhausted. "My chops were getting in a very ragged state," he says. "So when we finally got a take that sounded good to me, they said, 'Good, we'll go and have some food, then we'll come back and do some more'. I said, 'Not me'. It was a very heavy day."

Yorke recently described Amnesiac as "the sound of what it feels like to be standing in the fire". The album was recorded at the same time as Kid A but, according to the singer, "it comes from a different place" and is reputed to be more accessible than its predecessor. But if 'Living In A Glass House' is anything to go by, Yorke's lyrics May still be of the lemon sucking variety. "The words are very surreal, rather like Procul Harem's 'Whiter Shade Of Pale'", says Lyttleton, who received a letter of thanks from the band. "I wouldn't compare them, because I think Thom's are slightly better, but they're coming from the same sort of area."

tbh, I prefer DMB to billy joel. 

and I really don't like DMB.
Oh yeah, I made sure to pick the worst of 'em for my example and Joel is on someone's island IIRC, so no spotlighting. I remember listening to him all night one night studying for an exam. It completely ruined Billy Joel for me.

My buddy who lived in the room downstairs from mine was like, "Were you playing Billy Joel all night?" because it was an odd choice for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread