What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (2 Viewers)

I felt a ton of nostalgia taking the Andy Gibb pick this morning. In 8th grade I had the biggest crush on this girl who loved Andy Gibb. She had a poster of him in her locker, in her text book, and a lunchbox as well. I lost track of her; wonder how she took it when he died a few years later...

There was something about 1970s teen idols that set them apart from the ones before or since: Andy Gibb, Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Scott Baio, Willie Ames,  Donny Osmond, John Travolta- the stars of Tiger Beat. Nearly every girl I knew was obsessed by them. 

I've enjoyed having Tim in a music draft.  It's kind of funny that he has such a populist mix when that's been one of his bugbears in political threads.

But it's been great having 30 different drafters shooting at the jukebox theme from at least 30 different directions.  We're 80% into a 1500 pick draft and nobody has dropped out (I think).  Well, certainly nobody has stormed off and people were still talking about joining 25 rounds in.  :thumbup:
:D  Populism is fine for the arts. I love popular movies, music, novels. 

Politics are a different story. 

So it seems like the years I have left to pick either have no songs I feel strongly about or have 4-5 I really want to have and can't decide on. 

Plus, I'm trying to not repeat artists, but a couple of my favorite songs for my remaining years are groups I've already drafted. 

Stuck on on what songs to take next. 

So it seems like the years I have left to pick either have no songs I feel strongly about or have 4-5 I really want to have and can't decide on. 

Plus, I'm trying to not repeat artists, but a couple of my favorite songs for my remaining years are groups I've already drafted. 

Stuck on on what songs to take next. 
I think my '97 artist will be a repeat if that makes you feel better.  I'm trying to avoid it, but I love the song so darn much.  

I think my '97 artist will be a repeat if that makes you feel better.  I'm trying to avoid it, but I love the song so darn much.  
So far I have avoided any repeats - I have even avoided taking songs (but not artists) that I have used in other drafts. 

:D  Populism is fine for the arts. I love popular movies, music, novels. 

Politics are a different story. 
As you know, populism and populism are different.  Popular culture touches a nerve with the public, sometimes due to sheer quality or pure luck.  But a lot of the songs you've drafted were aimed directly at that nerve from point blank range.  Which makes them both populist and popular in my mind.

I'm not trying to be high brow.  Pop music has always been a business.  Songs were product for Phil Spector, Berry Gordy, David Geffen, Teddy Riley Max Martin, et.al. but when it's done right, a great pop song can transcend its boundaries and become one with its era, all within three or four minutes time.

I've enjoyed having Tim in a music draft.  It's kind of funny that he has such a populist mix when that's been one of his bugbears in political threads.

But it's been great having 30 different drafters shooting at the jukebox theme from at least 30 different directions.  We're 80% into a 1500 pick draft and nobody has dropped out (I think).  Well, certainly nobody has stormed off and people were still talking about joining 25 rounds in.  :thumbup:
I have to agree. I would appear that we don't share a lot of the same musical tastes in regards to recent music but I can almost guarantee if I turned on a radio station we would likely hear Tim's choices much more than mine. 

Actually, what several have in common is folk influence. 

I didn't know that when I decided I like them. But it makes sense to me: I've always been a folk music fan and a folk rock fan. When in preparing for this I read the Wiki write-ups for "Counting Stars" and "Hey There Delilah" and learned that both were essentially folk tunes, I said to myself "THAT'S why I like them so much." 
I love folk/mountain music.  Bluegrass does it for me.  But "I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me"?  What does that even mean?  Ick.

It means that she's never found true love. 

"I've Never Been To Me" has possibly the worst lyrics ever for a hit song, and they are accompanied by an enchanting and marvelous melody. But as terrible as the lyrics are, they're not exactly mysterious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How many folded up match books did you guys use to keep your on-the-ropes 8 tracks playing?
Wow - had completely forgotten about.  Touchy bastages, they were.  Between that and the rough treatment - even with the giant suitcase holders (red velvet lining ...) they didn't last much more than a year or so.  

Didn't matter too much since cassettes came around about that time anyway.

And Will Sheff is another of my favorite song writers of the past decade.  Okkervil River has released 7 very good/great albums since 2003.  

This is a stripped down live version of this song (album version is on Spotify):

21.xx  Okkervil River - Down Down the Deep River (2013)

And that's also why, all apologies to John Madden's Lunchbox, I really don't like very much electronic music, nor do I like metal. Both are IMO usually too far removed from the folk/blues/roots elements that I love so much. All of my favorite artists have some connection to these. 
That's ok. Blues and jazz music does nothing for me, despite numerous attempts to try and get into it. Funnily enough electronic music pioneer John Foxx said

Electronic music is blues for now: modern, urban folk music. When blues came to Chicago it went electric and now it’s mutating again. We have European folk music meeting American folk music.
It's easy to listen to the worst of a music style and make judgement calls on the whole scene. For me electronic music has a depth of sound that can't be match by guitar, drums and bass. I liken it to watching tv in HD vs watching it on a 12 inch black and white  screen. 

I don't know why, when I post here sometimes, that an empty nested quote box comes up and others it doesn't.

21.a        Def Leppard, "Armageddon It"  (1987)

This is always regarded as the second or third-most popular song on its album, if that, but is by far my favorite Def Leppard song.  I always enjoyed the band because they blended British new wave sensibilities with extensive guitar texturing and amazing-sounding harmony vocals, a major draw for me in my music playing and listening.  This song, I think, contains the group's best overall vocal performance in its long history, and I always appreciated how they set themselves apart with careful vocals (faithfully reproduced in live shows), lead and backing, spearheaded by uber-producer Mutt Lange.  This one has some outstanding guitar riffs and a great solo, too.  C'mon, Steve!  (RIP) 

21.b        Yes, "Heart of the Sunrise" (1971)

I always intended to take two songs from my favorite band, one from their "classic" incarnation and one from their "modern" era, and looks like I've managed to do that in what - in a really nice surprise for me - will be the third track drafted from its album.  This amazing progressive rocker clocks in at 10:37, beginning with an awesome show of righthanded dexterity by guitarist Steve Howe and the late (sniff) legendary bassist Chris Squire, backed by organ and harpsichord sounds from Rick Wakeman and a drumming clinic from Bill Bruford, who wrote some of this one in a rare compositional credit.  Then there's an extended Squire bass solo, followed by the development of the main lyrical theme.  Jon Anderson has never sung better in my opinion.  The various musical themes all circle back in at one point or another before the end, including many iterations of the opening riff.  The song is supposedly about being lost in a large, unfamiliar city, probably New York.  Interestingly for a Yes song, there are no three-part vocal harmonies, and indeed Squire contributes his distinct harmonies to only two lines.  It doesn't matter; this is a beauty.    

Home, Dierks Bentley, 2011

Listened to this song way too much while in Afghanistan.  a simple but great song. 

American Kids, Kenny Chesney 2014

• Georgia On My Mind Ray Charles 1960
  • I've Been Everywhere Johnny Cash 1963
  • Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley 1964
  • Last Train to Clarksville The Monkees 1966
  • Alabama Song The Doors 1967
  • Magic Bus, The Who, 1968
  • Carolina In My Mind James Taylor 1969
  • American Pie Don McLean 1971
  • City of New Orleans Arlo Guthrie 1972
  • Rocky Mountain High John Denver 1973
  • Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd 1974
  • Kashmir Led Zeppelin 1975
  • Traveling Man / Beautiful Loser Bob Seger 1976
  • New York New York Frank Sinatra 1977
  • Baker Street Gerry Rafferty 1978
  • The Devil Went Down to Georgia The Charlie Daniels Band 1979
  • Funkytown Lipps Inc 1980
  • America Neil Diamond 1981
  • Africa Toto 1982
  • China Girl David Bowie 1983
  • One Night in Bangkok Murray Head 1984
  • Living in America James Brown 1985
  • No Sleep Til Brooklyn The Beastie Boys 1986
  • Walk Like an Egyptian The Bangles 1987
  • Prison Bound Social Distortion 1988
  • Istanbul They Might be Giants 1990
  • Walking in Memphis Marc Cohn 1991
  • Tennesee Arrested Development 1992
  • Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle Nirvana 1993
  • Kensington Line Big Head Todd 1994
  • Santa Monica Everclear 1995
  • Carolina Blues Blues Traveler 1997
  • Wherever I May Roam Metallica w/ SF Symphony  1999
  • Sittin' at a Bar Rehab 2000
  • Shipping up to Boston Dropkick Murphys 2005
  • Especially in Michigan Red Hot Chili Peppers 2006
  • Home, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, 2009
  • Laredo Band of Horses 2010
  • Home, Dierks Bentley 2011
  • Hall of Fame The Script 2012
  • American Kids, Kenny Chesney 2014
  • Die for Alabama, Firekid 2015

22.a       John Mayer, "Belief" (2006)

I fell in love with Mayer's music with the release of his first album and have been genuinely saddened by his fall in popularity and its unmistakable cause - his self-revelation as a huge doosh.  Basically, mess with Taylor Swift at your peril; Mayer did, and deservedly lost.  Not that his problems were confined to that episode.  However, I continue to enjoy Mayer's songs, from his limited-range but powerful vocals to his immense songwriting talent to his amazing guitar chops, and particularly enjoy offerings from his first three records.  This musical homage to Sting is a wicked take on religion's pernicious influence on war, literal and moral.  Mayer steps away from his typical comfy octave-and-a-half and emulates Mr. Sumner admirably with his backing vocal part beginning at 3:05 over a chugging instrumental breakdown.  Terrific work on bass and drums by the studio pros in the rhythm section serves up a beautiful backdrop to the blues-tinged riffs and not-quite chords Mayer favors.  And anyone who misremembers Mayer as a shallow tool who only wrote bubblegum might have forgotten that not too many mainstream artists today take chances with lyrics like "What puts a hundred thousand children in the sand?/Belief can, belief can/What puts the folded flag inside his mother's hand?/Belief can, belief can".  Amen?    

22.b       Genesis, "No Reply at All" (1981)     

Like my favorite band Yes, Genesis experienced a bumpy transition from progressive rock titans to pop radio superstars, but unlike Yes, Genesis fully embraced the change and made a mint off of it.  As with Yes, I like both incarnations of the group.  "No Reply at All" is one of the songs that most clearly shows the musical transmogrification in progress as Phil Collins's musical vision began to guide the band, but Genesis still retained many of its art rock roots and they are on full display here in a fascinating mix.  The song is made, of course, by the Earth Wind & Fire horn section (like one other terrific Genesis song and many tracks from Collins' solo career), but listen beyond that and Collins' flawless vocal featuring lyrics about a miscommunicating relationship, and the song is a musical treasurehouse.  There's Collins' heavy-tom drumming keeping the beat, and a fantastic bass part by Mike Rutherford that closely tracks - but never quite mimics - what the horns are doing while doing a fantastic job of sounding like the player is slapping and popping when in fact he's using a pick.  Meanwhile, Tony Banks employs a rolling synth line played on a now-antique Prophet 5 using what sounds to me like crosshand technique, and the part is closely doubled by a palm-muted guitar.  Finally, there's a breakdown where the horns and the bass trade riffs over a 4/4 beat trying its best to sound like an alternate time sig.  Every instrument is maximized and nothing is wasted.  Fantastic song.   

Aerial Assault said:
22.a       John Mayer, "Belief" (2006)

I fell in love with Mayer's music with the release of his first album and have been genuinely saddened by his fall in popularity and its unmistakable cause -
He's currently touring with some of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, essentially replacing Jerry Garcia on lead guitar and some vocals.

Missed everything from yesterday, but :thumbup: to FUBAR for picking "Home" by Edward Sharpe, whenever that happened.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of theirs overall but that song is great and a hell of a live performance.

And last post, don't kill me Simey, but I was literally out and about and was afk all day from FBG.  It appears that we picked 20th and 21st rounds yesterday and are on 22nd right now.  So I'd owe 6 picks.  Can someone confirm whether this is correct?

And last post, don't kill me Simey, but I was literally out and about and was afk all day from FBG.  It appears that we picked 20th and 21st rounds yesterday and are on 22nd right now.  So I'd owe 6 picks.  Can someone confirm whether this is correct?
This is correct.

i must have a bad reputation.  :(  to answer you question, you are correct.

Round 22

Highway Patrolman - Johnny Cash - 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1biKak4BI9E

The Thrill Is Gone - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman - 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C56KoGpf2P0

I wanted to stick with the 1966-2015 parameters so that eliminated a lot of Cash's classics and I had other options for his late career revival, so I went with his haunting take on a Springsteen song.

This is the second time "Thrill" was drafted, and here as an interesting cover instead of the B.B. King classic version.

I know, and I'm glad about that.  I'd like to see a strong comeback album.  He's certainly young enough.   
I drafted a 2012 song of his earlier that was a comeback of sorts and took his career in a slightly different direction. I think he may just transition himself into a "musician" instead of a pop idol (although he was always trying to show off his musical chops, but I think his target audience didn't necessarily take to it).

I drafted a 2012 song of his earlier that was a comeback of sorts and took his career in a slightly different direction. I think he may just transition himself into a "musician" instead of a pop idol (although he was always trying to show off his musical chops, but I think his target audience didn't necessarily take to it).
I think that's exactly right.  Indeed, his albums since _Battle Studies_ have been along those lines as have his projects, and the sort of direction he's taking has a bonus of not putting him in the media spotlight as much as he was before, where he obviously wasn't real comfortable.  Hence the ranch in Montana, etc.  Good call and good pick from 2012. 

Users who are viewing this thread