What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did Favre hurt his team by waiting so long? (1 Viewer)

Prime

Footballguy
Just like the title says. I'm with Favre, but I think he may have hurt his teams chances of sighning big time FA's by waiting so long. If he would have called a press confrence early before FA, said "I'll be bacK" ala swartzenegger, and told the world, "come to GB, and help me make a run" just maybe they would have been able to land some guys to help.

I just haven't seen this discussed from this angle.

I don't really think so. After all he led the league in picks last season and blew several opportunities to win. I wish he'd have retired personally as I don't think the Pack can step forward with him at the helm. He's still good enough to mask deficiencies at other positions. But not good enough to kill teams on his own.

Green Bay is simply not the draw to potential free agents that it once was.

Who did they really try to get that they did not land?

Arrington? Seems he talked to Favre anyway...not long before Favre announced...and Arrington says he almost convinced him.

I think it might have, Woodson didn't sign until Favre came back, maybe Arrington would have been more likely to sign if he knew Woodson had signed. GB did mention they tried to sign free agents before this.

I know for sure that he didn't help Green Bay by waiting so long.

I know for sure that he didn't help Green Bay by waiting so long.
:goodposting: I think it's hard to guess how much he possibly hurt the team, but I think we can be sure that all of this definitely did not help the team.

He didn't hurt or help. Green Bay is rebuilding, players knew this, and most weren't interested.
This is the correct answer. Anybody who looked to sign with Green Bay this year knew they weren't going to an immediate Super Bowl team. Green Bay had to dazzle players with money and/or a chance to play a prominent role on a team. Favre had nothing to do with it.

Filling in for my Bro.
Hilarious avatar... :) As to the poster's question -- yes, I think overall it did hurt. This circus is just getting dragged out too long and too often now with Favre. It'll happen again NEXT year if he doesn't immediately announce his retirement. It happened a bit LAST year too. This year has been horrible though...

This whole situation is just sad to watch. It reminds of when Dan Marino had trouble letting go. He shoulda retired like 2-3 years earlier, but dragged on...

Favre hurt the team by waiting.

Favre hurt the team by coming back.

Favre hurt the team by turning it over so much.

Favre is hurting the Packers. They can't move on as long as he is there. The GM and new HC have probably 3 years to get this turned around and they're going to burn one of those years giving a farewell tour to a guy who won't be there when the ship reaches its destination.

One of the first things that the new HC did was change out the weightroom, and he said that in his view the weight room was where team chemistry was built. Virtually every member of the Packers has been there in the offseason working out.

Favre is the exception.

This is a guy who doesn't dress in the same locker room as his teammates. This is a guy who said "I didn't know who it was in the huddle with me". He doesn't hang out with his teammates off the field, doesn't appear to try to build chemistry with them. He says that tutoring Aaron Rodgers isn't part of his job.

Favre is going to be an ugly, season-long distraction for what could be a pretty interesting Packer team this year. Additionally, if he plays the way his history suggests, he'll almost certainly cost us several wins with his utter lack of concern about ball security.

Of course, it'll be blamed on something else.

I really, really wish he'd have retired, but he's a bad gambler and bad gamblers never know when to leave the table.

Favre is hurting the Packers. They can't move on as long as he is there. The GM and new HC have probably 3 years to get this turned around and they're going to burn one of those years giving a farewell tour to a guy who won't be there when the ship reaches its destination.

One of the first things that the new HC did was change out the weightroom, and he said that in his view the weight room was where team chemistry was built. Virtually every member of the Packers has been there in the offseason working out.

Favre is the exception.

This is a guy who doesn't dress in the same locker room as his teammates. This is a guy who said "I didn't know who it was in the huddle with me". He doesn't hang out with his teammates off the field, doesn't appear to try to build chemistry with them. He says that tutoring Aaron Rodgers isn't part of his job.

Favre is going to be an ugly, season-long distraction for what could be a pretty interesting Packer team this year. Additionally, if he plays the way his history suggests, he'll almost certainly cost us several wins with his utter lack of concern about ball security.

I really, really wish he'd have retired, but he's a bad gambler and bad gamblers never know when to leave the table.
:goodposting:

it wasnt farves fault that he threw so many picks he was running for his life. he didnt hurt the team by coming back but he should have made the decision sooner. the packers could use him to teach a young qb.

it wasnt farves fault that he threw so many picks he was running for his life. he didnt hurt the team by coming back but he should have made the decision sooner. the packers could use him to teach a young qb.
This "running for his life" stuff is one of the most persistent and least true components of Favre mythology.In 2004, behind arguably the best offensive line the Packers have ever had in franchise history, Favre had a total of 65 sacks/knockdowns/hurries.

In 2005, despite throwing many more times, especially from behind in the fourth quarter, he had 104 sacks/hurries/knockdowns.

That's an increase of 39, which rolls out to about 2.5 extra sacks/hurries knockdowns per game.

Now, that doesn't exactly fit my definition of "running for his life". David Carr, down in Houston, had MUCH shakier protection and didn't feel a need to heave up it for grabs 29 times. In fact, in the history of pro football, there have been many, many bad quarterbacks playing behind really bad lines who didn't throw 29 picks in a season. Only three people in history have thrown more than that in a single season and only one in the last 40 years.

So I think it is totally Apologist to simply write off one of the worst seasons by a QB in NFL history to "running for his life" simply because his line was a notch below the best line in franchise history.

I've seen every game Favre has ever played. I've recorded lots of them and rewatched them. I'm telling you straight: Last year, his mechanics and footwork sucked, his decision making was almost non-existent, and he was a bad quarterback. If you took that #4 jersey off him and just judged him on what he was doing he didn't look like a very good quarterback.

The Favre Legend has some powerful mojo, and it causes people to not always see the MAN clearly. Favre has been put on a pedestal by his adoring fans, and a pedestal is not a natural place for a man. Inevitably, he'll fall off, and the higher the pedestal the more horrific the fall.

I think that Favre fans will be in for a very difficult year this year. I think that Packer fans will realize at some point that a change needs to be made.

This "running for his life" stuff is one of the most persistent and least true components of Favre mythology.In 2004, behind arguably the best offensive line the Packers have ever had in franchise history, Favre had a total of 65 sacks/knockdowns/hurries.

In 2005, despite throwing many more times, especially from behind in the fourth quarter, he had 104 sacks/hurries/knockdowns.

That's an increase of 39, which rolls out to about 2.5 extra sacks/hurries knockdowns per game.

Now, that doesn't exactly fit my definition of "running for his life". David Carr, down in Houston, had MUCH shakier protection and didn't feel a need to heave up it for grabs 29 times. In fact, in the history of pro football, there have been many, many bad quarterbacks playing behind really bad lines who didn't throw 29 picks in a season. Only three people in history have thrown more than that in a single season and only one in the last 40 years.

So I think it is totally Apologist to simply write off one of the worst seasons by a QB in NFL history to "running for his life" simply because his line was a notch below the best line in franchise history.

I've seen every game Favre has ever played. I've recorded lots of them and rewatched them. I'm telling you straight: Last year, his mechanics and footwork sucked, his decision making was almost non-existent, and he was a bad quarterback. If you took that #4 jersey off him and just judged him on what he was doing he didn't look like a very good quarterback.

The Favre Legend has some powerful mojo, and it causes people to not always see the MAN clearly. Favre has been put on a pedestal by his adoring fans, and a pedestal is not a natural place for a man. Inevitably, he'll fall off, and the higher the pedestal the more horrific the fall.

I think that Favre fans will be in for a very difficult year this year. I think that Packer fans will realize at some point that a change needs to be made.
And if anything, especially by your opinion on matters, he actually helped your sorry ### team by losing more games, thereby providing you with a better draft pick.Favre hasn't hurt the team nearly as much as the team has hurt themselves. Ron Wolf retired, Holmgrin was canned, they let almost the entire O-line go, and the entire organization has been going downhill ever since.

And dude, thank God you're not a Cowboys fan. Please turn in your Green Bay fan card. I don't think I've ever read a more bitter, disenchanted, negetive take on a team.

I think if you read that a little more closely, Emmit, I'm actually pretty high on the team; I think they were let down by their quarterback.

And I'd rather eat worms than be a Cowboy fan.

Favre is the exception.

BS....Read Aaron Rodgers quotes on what he says about Favre helping him.Dresses in a different locker room? Link?

Does not appear to build chemistry? According to you? Or the players that all have spoke out being happy he is coming back?

I think if you read that a little more closely, Emmit, I'm actually pretty high on the team; I think they were let down by their quarterback.

And I'd rather eat worms than be a Cowboy fan.
I think they were let down by a number of things...not just their QB.

This is most likely the way it goes down for the GB faithful. I believe he needs just 24 touchdown passes to overtake Marino for career passing touchdowns. Since he has had a ton of seasons with 20+ TD passes he could break the record this year but if he throws another 29 interceptions it will be tarnished for the short term. He also had what I believe was his first losing season as the starter last season so maybe that is his motivation. Good or bad, right or wrong the guy is playing this year and I hope he goes out on a good note....but it sure doesn't seem likely.

Favre is the exception.

I agree here as well. Had Favre retired in February, the team could have gone after a veteran QB to help Rodgers come along, one that wouldn't be such a cap issue as Favre is currently. As for the veterans that the pack could have brought in, why would they come here for 1 or more years anyway? The team is a bad team with or without Favre.

I didn't think the Pack were that far off at the start of last year to be honest. They shouldn't have let thetsome of their line go, and found some defense and they would have been contenders.

They let the line go, that got Ahman, Davenport, and even Gado hurt. Favre was running for his life tossing airballs (like a moron I agree)

The bottom line IMHO is they Packers brass is far more at fault then your once beloved gunslinger. The very thing you guys love him for is now the reason you're turning on him.

The the man play and like it. When he retires, the Pack can go back to the bottom of the division were they have been since Lombardi left.

That's like blaming a gun for killing someone. Ultimately it's Favre that is throwing the ball. He's been a bit notorious for forcing the ball in situations that didn't call for it, and got picked off. Last year was perhaps his worst. Sure, Favre could have had better protection. Sure, Ahman Green's injury didn't help matters. But it eventually has to fall on Favre's shoulders...

Favre is the exception.

You are pretty funny :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: for a :hophead: :rolleyes:

I didn't think the Pack were that far off at the start of last year to be honest. They shouldn't have let thetsome of their line go, and found some defense and they would have been contenders.

They let the line go, that got Ahman, Davenport, and even Gado hurt. Favre was running for his life tossing airballs (like a moron I agree)

The bottom line IMHO is they Packers brass is far more at fault then your once beloved gunslinger. The very thing you guys love him for is now the reason you're turning on him.

The the man play and like it. When he retires, the Pack can go back to the bottom of the division were they have been since Lombardi left.
The line did not get Ahman, Davenport and Gado hurt. Its football...did you see when they got hurt?Except that they were not at the bottom of the division since Lombardi left.

This myth that life after Brett means 20 years of bad teams is just ridiculous. I guess it will be impossible for Green Bay ever to have another good team again...can never find another good QB... :rolleyes:

The line did not get Ahman, Davenport and Gado hurt. Its football...did you see when they got hurt?Except that they were not at the bottom of the division since Lombardi left.

This myth that life after Brett means 20 years of bad teams is just ridiculous. I guess it will be impossible for Green Bay ever to have another good team again...can never find another good QB... :rolleyes:
No kidding. They should be able to just run down to the QB tree and pluck off another HOF QB.

Users who are viewing this thread