What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do Democrats want or not want Trump to win the 2024 republican nomination? (1 Viewer)

He could.  Maybe would.  But there happen to be a heck of a lot of people out there who don't think he was crummy or dangerous to democracy, want him to win, and some think he never even lost the first time.  

Do you think he'd have no chance to win?
I don't care what some people think.  Even with all that, who is sitting in the chair right now?

I don't think hed stand a chance of winning.   Personally.  

If Trump wins the Republican nomination, that leads to one of two results and both are bad, in my opinion. 

If Trump wins, which I think is 50/50 depending on the Dem opponent, he goes for an even bigger grift for him and his friends without fear of repercussion (what impeach him again?), and probably starts at his inauguration speech talking about a mandate and he should really have a third term since he had one stolen from him. Four years of him not leading but instead playing games in an attempt make money and gain power. Everything will be about him and never about the country.

If Trump loses, still 50/50, then he immediately claims it was stolen again, no matter the margin of defeat, fires up his base to storm local, state and national building in order to "save the country and steal back the vote". Have new hats, new flags and new emails asking for support for his legal lawsuits to win back the country. We will see Trump 2028 stickers before anyone actually calls the election for the Dems.

I would gladly take a Republican moderate who can lead with some normalcy over either of those choices. 

I would much rather have a 100% chance of a Republican president that is a reasonable person than a 50% chance of Trump with a 50% chance of a democrat.

It's not even close for me.

I'd probably take a 100% chance of a different Republican president than a 10% chance of Trump.  After everything that's happened with him, the things he will be emboldened to do if he gets re-elected now are terrifying to me.  There is no way he would ever relinquish power again.

My observation was telling someone the question has already been answered dozens of times usually won't lead to anything positive.
Fortunately that isn’t what happened in here.  People answered the question repeatedly and then were either a) ignored when they replied with a sincere answer, b) told they were responding emotionally, or c) badgered over and over again to answer the same question they’d already answered previously.

It isn’t some mystery.  It’s all available for perusal on pages 1-3.

Why should anyone provide a link back to pages 1-3 for the guy who had already ignored all those previous posts?  Better to just move on to another thread (which is what I’ve done, other than jumping back in here to address your comments which appear directed to the wrong people).

If Trump wins the Republican nomination, that leads to one of two results and both are bad, in my opinion. 

If Trump wins, which I think is 50/50 depending on the Dem opponent, he goes for an even bigger grift for him and his friends without fear of repercussion (what impeach him again?), and probably starts at his inauguration speech talking about a mandate and he should really have a third term since he had one stolen from him. Four years of him not leading but instead playing games in an attempt make money and gain power. Everything will be about him and never about the country.

If Trump loses, still 50/50, then he immediately claims it was stolen again, no matter the margin of defeat, fires up his base to storm local, state and national building in order to "save the country and steal back the vote". Have new hats, new flags and new emails asking for support for his legal lawsuits to win back the country. We will see Trump 2028 stickers before anyone actually calls the election for the Dems.

I would gladly take a Republican moderate who can lead with some normalcy over either of those choices. 
Me too, but they're all RINO's apparently...

Fortunately that isn’t what happened in here.  People answered the question repeatedly and then were either a) ignored when they replied with a sincere answer, b) told they were responding emotionally, or c) badgered over and over again to answer the same question they’d already answered previously.

It isn’t some mystery.  It’s all available for perusal on pages 1-3.

Why should anyone provide a link back to pages 1-3 for the guy who had already ignored all those previous posts?  Better to just move on to another thread (which is what I’ve done, other than jumping back in here to address your comments which appear directed to the wrong people).
OH
MY
GOD

Alex, dude, let it go.  You're going crazy now.  I've stopped replying for the most part, UNLESS I get the SAME responses as have been given on the first few pages.

You win.  You are the bestest poster here and we are all better that you are here to keep everyone in line.

Feel better now?

I don't care what some people think.  Even with all that, who is sitting in the chair right now?

I don't think hed stand a chance of winning.   Personally.  
Like I guessed, that's part of the disconnect in this discussion.

You're just not going to see the logic of the people here who aren't ignoring how some 74+ million people feel on this topic.

If Trump runs and loses in the primary, there is a good chance he’ll claim the voting was rigged and he’ll demonize the winner.  If this were to happen, will his supporters just fall in line with the Republican Party?

moleculo said:
This thread seems to (anecdotally) confirm what I have suspected: Democrats want what's best for the country, whereas Republicans want what's best for the party.

I am willing to throw in the caveat that Republicans seem to think that only Republicans are good for the country so by that logic, they want what's best for the country too.
I don’t know if it’s just Republicans, but some people are so entrenched in their “team”, they can’t even comprehend the possibility of decent candidates in opposing parties. They’re baffled by the concept of desiring multiple good choices for our political leaders, and by extension, voting for the other “side.”

Considering how arbitrary the distinctions between parties can be, seems pretty short-sighted.

moleculo said:
This thread seems to (anecdotally) confirm what I have suspected: Democrats want what's best for the country, whereas Republicans want what's best for the party.

I am willing to throw in the caveat that Republicans seem to think that only Republicans are good for the country so by that logic, they want what's best for the country too.
Oh come on.  :lmao:

These posts claiming some sort of moral high ground are the worst. 

I would much rather have a 100% chance of a Republican president that is a reasonable person than a 50% chance of Trump with a 50% chance of a democrat.

It's not even close for me.

I'd probably take a 100% chance of a different Republican president than a 10% chance of Trump.  After everything that's happened with him, the things he will be emboldened to do if he gets re-elected now are terrifying to me.  There is no way he would ever relinquish power again.
Exactly this.  My post got deleted because I called Trump what he is.  I wouldn't like the policies of a reasonable Republican president, but I can respect the person in the office and trust that the President wasn't out to enrich himself or settle scores or willfully violate the Constitution or any number of terrible things that I can envision Trump doing in a 2nd term.

Oh thats never ending.  democrats are all good, republicans are all bad.  And if democrats happen to do something bad, it's cause of republicans.  Yep.  Rinse and repeat.

Oh thats never ending.  democrats are all good, republicans are all bad.  And if democrats happen to do something bad, it's cause of republicans.  Yep.  Rinse and repeat.
The moral high ground over Trump is about the size of a mole hill.  So it ain't much, but yeah, for those that want Trump part of the equation or just to troll libs moving forward -- its not good for the country.

Unfortunately the Republicans have completely tied themselves to Trump.  100% in lockstep or you're out of the party.

So yea, you've completely succeeded any moral high ground you might have had.

The moral high ground over Trump is about the size of a mole hill.  So it ain't much, but yeah, for those that want Trump part of the equation or just to troll libs moving forward -- its not good for the country.
I didn;t mention Trump.  Your Trump fascination is never ending.

The comment was that the rule here is all republicans are bad and want bad things and thank God we have democrats that are always wonderful people that only care about their fellow man

The comment was that the rule here is all republicans are bad and want bad things and thank God we have democrats that are always wonderful people that only care about their fellow man
You don't need to mention Trump.  He is the republican party.  Period.

There goes the moral high ground.  Imagine if Slick Willy was still the leader of the democratic party.   We'd be in the same situation. 

OH
MY
GOD

Alex, dude, let it go.  You're going crazy now.  I've stopped replying for the most part, UNLESS I get the SAME responses as have been given on the first few pages.

You win.  You are the bestest poster here and we are all better that you are here to keep everyone in line.

Feel better now?
Anyone else find this response to be a tad ... emotional?

:lmao:   He's only the subject in your question starting this thread !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
Again these are not general rules. It’s all about Trump. when Trump goes away, a lot of this stuff goes away. 

If the Democrats ever seriously considered nominating Ihlan Omar to be our candidate, there would be plenty of Republicans who would  honestly tell you that they would support any establishment Democrat if that would eliminate the chance of Ms. Omar being elected. 
I wouldn't. I'd like to see her lose 40 states to 10.

She would still win.  California, NY, Massachusetts, Oregon,  Washington, Delaware, Connecticut,  Vermont, Minnesota, Rhode Island.

I wouldn't. I'd like to see her lose 40 states to 10.

She would still win.  California, NY, Massachusetts, Oregon,  Washington, Delaware, Connecticut,  Vermont, Minnesota, Rhode Island.
Prior to 2016 I would have agreed with you. But one of the things Trump demonstrated was that, in our fully tribalized nation, it is possible to excite the base and then get just enough of the party regulars to reluctantly pull the lever for you out of loyalty, or, more likely, out of distaste for the other party.

Do I think it would be much harder for a Democrat to pull off what Trump did? Yes, for various structural differences among the two parties' coalitions. But I also think that, in a hypothetical match-up between Ilhan Omar and, say, Marjorie Taylor Green, a lot of Dems would absolutely support her in order to stop what they viewed as "the crazies" from taking over. And as much as we'd like to think that a centrist alternative would emerge in such a case, I think there would be strong pressure against it because it would be seen as zero-sum: "A vote for [Bloomberg/Howard Schultz/whoever] is actually a vote for MTG!"

I still think Omar would lose pretty convincingly if she got the nomination (which she won't). But I also think 40-state landslides are a thing of the past, at least for the foreseeable future. Heck, look at Obama '08. Literally every single factor in that election broke his way, and he still only won by 7 points/200 EVs. And we're even more polarized now than we were then!

Here is the rare scenario where a strong 3rd candidate could actually win
Yeah, I mean that was a pretty extreme hypothetical which, as I said, don't think would ever actually happen. Let's think of a more realistic scenario that, in fact, came very close to happening: Bernie vs. Trump. If that had been the race in 2020, a lot of Democrats (myself included) who don't like Bernie would absolutely have felt compelled to vote for him in order to stop Trump, and they would also have been very reluctant to back a third-party candidate who would have almost certainly ensured a Trump victory behind a unified GOP.

(Of course, I think it's also not a coincidence that, when faced with that prospect, the Dems recoiled from Bernie and flocked to Biden, handing him the nomination almost overnight. The reason they chose that course and Republicans did what they did in '16 are complex, and I would never dream of oversimplifying it down to "Dems are smarter" or "Dems love their country more". But I do think there are structural differences between the parties that drove those disparate outcomes.)

How is it not emotional?  You came right put and said you don't care if he's beatable or not.  That makes no sense.  If he was guaranteed to lose why would you care if he got the nom?  He's gonna LOSE!!

what you say makes no sense at all 
But you see...he doesn't lose.  The claims he won when he clearly didn't...and people BELIEVE HIM because they believe everything he says.

He is bad for our country, period.  I don't know how this makes me emotional.  I don't want a guy who can't tell the truth about losing an election.  Especially one that his followers believe without question.

I'm a Republican who would like a normal Republican this time.  One that is honorable and respects our Constitution.  One that doesn't act like the drunk at the end of the bar with an opinion on everything, but very little in the way of rational thought.  One who doesn't feel the need to name call on Twitter because he or she, maybe thinks the President should be above that.  One that can accept defeat and not make up lies about it because his or her ego is too big to handle the fact that they lost.  Basically, I want a normal person in the Whitehouse.  Not a wildcard.

But you see...he doesn't lose.  The claims he won when he clearly didn't...and people BELIEVE HIM because they believe everything he says.

He is bad for our country, period.  I don't know how this makes me emotional.  I don't want a guy who can't tell the truth about losing an election.  Especially one that his followers believe without question.

I'm a Republican who would like a normal Republican this time.  One that is honorable and respects our Constitution.  One that doesn't act like the drunk at the end of the bar with an opinion on everything, but very little in the way of rational thought.  One who doesn't feel the need to name call on Twitter because he or she, maybe thinks the President should be above that.  One that can accept defeat and not make up lies about it because his or her ego is too big to handle the fact that they lost.  Basically, I want a normal person in the Whitehouse.  Not a wildcard.
Well, said. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread