What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do Democrats want or not want Trump to win the 2024 republican nomination? (1 Viewer)

No, Democrats are scared to death of Trump

If he runs, I think he wins .... and if he wins, he has 4 years of undoing Biden policy and a possibility of more SC nominations .... that's why IMO CNN runs hate ad's on Trump every single day

If he runs, I think he wins .... and if he wins, he has 4 years of undoing Biden policy and a possibility of more SC nominations .... that's why IMO CNN runs hate ad's on Trump every single day
Any Republican would get to pick an open SC seat and undo Biden policies.

Donald has a little insurrection baggage.

I'm not a Dem and I'm scared to death of Trump.  I think he believes he's above the law.  I think he's vindictive which isn't a good trait when you have the launch codes.  I think he's not professional and that hinders our standing with other countries.  As an example, I'd prefer not to see boycotts at the 2026 World Cup we are co-hosting with Mexico and Canada.

I'm not a Dem and I'm scared to death of Trump.  I think he believes he's above the law.  I think he's vindictive which isn't a good trait when you have the launch codes.  I think he's not professional and that hinders our standing with other countries.  As an example, I'd prefer not to see boycotts at the 2026 World Cup we are co-hosting with Mexico and Canada.

and yet even as people think the above, the current President passes mandates, dictator-like decisions, had hurt our world standing just in these few short months ... Biden literally HAS done those things

Trump doesn't scare me at all

and yet even as people think the above, the current President passes mandates, dictator-like decisions, had hurt our world standing just in these few short months ... Biden literally HAS done those things

Our world standing has been much more receptive with our current president.  He doesn't ridicule the world leaders he doesn't admire (like the despots and dictators who were previously admired).  As far as his "dictator like decisions", he's passing mandates to try and help ALL of us get through this pandemic.  On a minor note, nobody has LITERALLY done these things you say.  🙂

How could you say "sign me up" for a guy who pulled Trump's act after he lost? How is that not remove this name from your pool of names you want?

The Republican Party has plenty of other options.

Not a Democrat. Don’t want Trump. I have voted for both Democrats and Republicans at the top of the ticket in my lifetime. Rhetoric varies between the two but the end results and trajectory  are always the same. More loss of privacy and freedom to gather/breathe freely. More restricted travel and invasive searches. More concentrated power control and wealth for the few at the top.

No, Democrats are scared to death of Trump...

Not Trump.

Poor white rural Christian America. These large block used to just not vote period. Now they've been mobilized and are incentivized to keep voting. We are talking "legacy votes" that will pass from generation to generation.

Black America has typically voted Democrat. In their households, children grew up being told by their parents to vote Democrat. The expectation was that those new grown up would tell their own children the same thing. But that's not true anymore. The Progressives have a stranglehold on Big Education. They control the feeder system.

Establishment Democrats are fighting a two front war. On one side is their previously held feeder system that will start to phase them out. On the other is a growing block of rural formerly low information white voters that were seen as too expensive to court for their votes for decades.

Poor white rural Christian America would gladly vote for Dan Crenshaw. Even Wesley Hunt. They would rather show up to the voting booth to vote for a Republican they don't like over any Democrat. But many Democratic Party voters will just refuse to show up if they don't like the candidate ( Hillary Clinton for example) Progressives just don't turn out at the voting booth consistently enough as well. They exist just enough to take some primaries and to risk splitting voters just enough for the GOP to take some wins.

Establishment Democrats made their bed and now they have to lay in it. They acted as if they'd rather lose to a Republican than see someone they couldn't control like Tulsi Gabbard take POTUS. Well they got their wish.

Trump is a means to an end, nothing more.

Long after Trump is gone, poor white rural Christian America is going to punish the entire Democratic Party for generations to come.

Never take apathy for granted. Never assume apathy will stay the status quo when the radical left kept spitting in people's faces. Intersectionality will become the new Maginot Line.

Barack Obama self destructed the Democratic Party in less than three full cycles. The kind of accolades he gets from the activist complicit MSM is completely ridiculous. Over time, one day history will finally come clean and just tell the truth in that he had absolutely no idea what he was doing and ruined the country in the process of cooking identity politics. Every vote for him was a vote to watch America burn. Some of you voted for him, I guess it's time to get the marshmallows, chocolate squares and graham crackers.

Some people actually want what's good for the country, not whats good for the party.
Absolutely. Shouldn’t we all want the two (or more) best qualified candidates to run, to maximize the chances we move forward as a country? Even a hyperpartisan voter should want that.

In no scenario is Trump the best R or independent. His presence as a candidate will only serve to debase the election process, and distract from meaningful discussion of relevant issues.

On top of that, there’s the near certainty of shenanigans associated with his candidacy, with potential for civil unrest and waste of legal resources if/when he loses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor white rural Christian America would gladly vote for Dan Crenshaw. Even Wesley Hunt. They would rather show up to the voting booth to vote for a Republican they don't like over any Democrat. But many Democratic Party voters will just refuse to show up if they don't like the candidate ( Hillary Clinton for example) Progressives just don't turn out at the voting booth consistently enough as well. They exist just enough to take some primaries and to risk splitting voters just enough for the GOP to take some wins.

I find this interesting. And I've sensed a little of this myself in people I know and talk to.

Do you have a thought on why this is?

Absolutely. Shouldn’t we all want the two (or more) best qualified candidates to run, to maximize the chances we move forward as a country? Even a hyperpartisan voter should want that.

In no scenario is Trump the best R or independent. His presence as a candidate will only serve to debase the election process, and distract from meaningful discussion of relevant issues.

On top of that, there’s the near certainty of shenanigans associated with his candidacy, with potential for civil unrest and legal waste if/when he loses.
So the goal then is not to win, but to have good candidates?  Even if Trump guaranteed a win?

Like I have said..If Hillary wins the nom, republicans would be salivating.  If Bernie wont it, who really IS bad for the country, republicans would be cheering in the streets.   So I don't get it.  Now if you wanna say Trump isn't the worst candidate, I get that.  I don't see much worse from a R side, but maybe I am off.

I know in general the thread has turned predictably into taking shots at each side.

Back to the topic, do you think Democrats should hope Trump is the nominee again? 
Purely from a strategic point of view, as in "which GOP candidate makes it more/less likely that generic Democratic candidate wins", most Democrats probably see Trump as the most beatable.*

From a best for the country point of view, most Democrats probably recognize that Trump being the GOP candidate is terrible for the country, even if he loses, and would prefer that he not be the candidate.

* Caveat (all IMO, of course) - Other GOP candidates being more/less beatable than Trump depends highly on how the GOP nomination plays out.  If Trump chooses not to run and instead plays kingmaker, fully endorsing the nominee, that nominee would have a much better chance to win than Trump himself.  If Trump runs, loses the nomination, and pulls his sore loser act encouraging his supporters to stay home (or encourages write-in votes for himself), the GOP nominee might well have no chance at all in the general.

I find this interesting. And I've sensed a little of this myself in people I know and talk to.

Do you have a thought on why this is?
As a lifelong non-voter with similarly apolitical friends, I think GG is incorrect. There are a lot of people who will be mobilized (again) purely to vote against Trump. In other words, I think the anti-Trump re-election voters will outnumber the pro-Trump ones. 

If Trump isn’t a candidate, I still think turnout will be decent, though it’s hard to know which previously disinterested voters will show up.

How could you say "sign me up" for a guy who pulled Trump's act after he lost? How is that not remove this name from your pool of names you want?

The Republican Party has plenty of other options.

to keep a Democrat from being next President and if Trump is the best way to stop that, I'm in

that's why Biden was elected - nobody really liked Biden, there were plenty of other options, the Democratic party felt Biden gave them the best chance and so Biden it was

if GOP think Trump is their best chance, it'll be Trump in 2024 

CNN everyday hammers on Trump still - a year after leaving office they dedicate media space to anti-Trump articles ... they're scared to death of him

Purely from a strategic point of view, as in "which GOP candidate makes it more/less likely that generic Democratic candidate wins", most Democrats probably see Trump as the most beatable.*

From a best for the country point of view, most Democrats probably recognize that Trump being the GOP candidate is terrible for the country, even if he loses, and would prefer that he not be the candidate.

* Caveat (all IMO, of course) - Other GOP candidates being more/less beatable than Trump depends highly on how the GOP nomination plays out.  If Trump chooses not to run and instead plays kingmaker, fully endorsing the nominee, that nominee would have a much better chance to win than Trump himself.  If Trump runs, loses the nomination, and pulls his sore loser act encouraging his supporters to stay home (or encourages write-in votes for himself), the GOP nominee might well have no chance at all in the general.
Excellent points.   I agree and hadn't thought about that.  A Trump endorsement would probably go a long way with a republican nominee

to keep a Democrat from being next President and if Trump is the best way to stop that, I'm in

that's why Biden was elected - nobody really liked Biden, there were plenty of other options, the Democratic party felt Biden gave them the best chance and so Biden it was

if GOP think Trump is their best chance, it'll be Trump in 2024 

CNN everyday hammers on Trump still - a year after leaving office they dedicate media space to anti-Trump articles ... they're scared to death of him
Yep.  The left in general hammers on Trump constantly.  Which makes me think they are scared of him too.  But then I ask why?  And I come back to the question of whether the left really believes in their message?  Or are they so fractured they fear they cannot win in 2024?   

Yep.  The left in general hammers on Trump constantly.  Which makes me think they are scared of him too.  But then I ask why?  And I come back to the question of whether the left really believes in their message?  Or are they so fractured they fear they cannot win in 2024?   

what did Trump really DO in those 4 years ?

we know he undone Obama things - he'll undo Biden ones too

he would have the opportunity to nominate SC judges - that's big

Trump and GOP is energy friendly - oil/drilling etc and Democrats/the left don't want that

Trump backed Israel - Democrats don't like that

Trump wasn't controlled by global warming fears - Democrats didn't like that

A lot of what Trump did goes against how liberal Democrats want things to go .... they know what he'll do if he gets back in, anti-Democrat things and they don't want to chance it, they'll do anything to stop it IMO

This has been answered dozens of times in this thread.

Not a thread cop.  Just trying to help you find the answer to the question you keep asking.
So since the question has been answered, will you be so kind to email the moderators and tell them to close the thread?  No need to talk more I guess?  You have decided.

Should we close every thread when an answer is given to a question?   BOOM.>Someone answered..Per Rich, thread should be closed now!

Not a thread cop.  Just trying to help you find the answer to the question you keep asking.

For the future, if the goal is real discussion, a quick copy and paste from 1 or 2 previous answers will be way more helpful than telling the person the question has already been answered dozens of times. 

So since the question has been answered, will you be so kind to email the moderators and tell them to close the thread?  No need to talk more I guess?  You have decided.

Should we close every thread when an answer is given to a question?   BOOM.>Someone answered..Per Rich, thread should be closed now!
This has nothing to do with thread cop.  You asked a question.  Lots of people answered.  You asked the same question over again, and people answered.  For the most part, all the answers from many different posters were the same.  You keep asking the same question and keep getting the same answer.  However, you have yet to acknowledge that the question has been answered at all, much less comment on the answer.

You do you, I guess, but seems like the next logical step on your part is not to just repeat the question, but to comment on the answer already provided.

No.  They don’t want him nominated.

Why?  
1) He will beat Biden this time, easily

2) he’s a massive threat to democracy

3) once he gets back in the White House, he will never leave again — he will push for a 3rd term and his spineless party will support that absurdity (along with any other nonsense he lobbies for)
From page 1

This has nothing to do with thread cop.  You asked a question.  Lots of people answered.  You asked the same question over again, and people answered.  For the most part, all the answers from many different posters were the same.  You keep asking the same question and keep getting the same answer.  However, you have yet to acknowledge that the question has been answered at all, much less comment on the answer.

You do you, I guess, but seems like the next logical step on your part is not to just repeat the question, but to comment on the answer already provided.
So I CAN do me?  After that diatribe you are now allowing me to do me?  Well I appreciate that very much.  Thanks

I’m not a Democrat but I’ll take a shot.

For me I don’t want him to run because I think he’s got a real shot at winning due to how bad the field will likely be for the Democratic nominees in 24.  Add to that the dissatisfaction many of us in the middle have with how Biden has done it could push votes that went for Biden last time back to Trump.  
From page 1

For the future, if the goal is real discussion, a quick copy and paste from 1 or 2 previous answers will be way more helpful than telling the person the question has already been answered dozens of times. 
Plenty of people answered the question already.  It doesn’t take very long perusing the thread from the beginning to see how this one got off course.

So the goal then is not to win, but to have good candidates?  Even if Trump guaranteed a win?

Like I have said..If Hillary wins the nom, republicans would be salivating.  If Bernie wont it, who really IS bad for the country, republicans would be cheering in the streets.   So I don't get it.  Now if you wanna say Trump isn't the worst candidate, I get that.  I don't see much worse from a R side, but maybe I am off.
Wouldn't that be best for the country?

This thread seems to (anecdotally) confirm what I have suspected: Democrats want what's best for the country, whereas Republicans want what's best for the party.

I am willing to throw in the caveat that Republicans seem to think that only Republicans are good for the country so by that logic, they want what's best for the country too.

This thread seems to (anecdotally) confirm what I have suspected: Democrats want what's best for the country, whereas Republicans want what's best for the party.

I am willing to throw in the caveat that Republicans seem to think that only Republicans are good for the country so by that logic, they want what's best for the country too.
Again these are not general rules. It’s all about Trump. when Trump goes away, a lot of this stuff goes away. 

If the Democrats ever seriously considered nominating Ihlan Omar to be our candidate, there would be plenty of Republicans who would  honestly tell you that they would support any establishment Democrat if that would eliminate the chance of Ms. Omar being elected. 

There are other reasons.  It seems to me to be a pretty standard part of a general political playbook to go after the most popular/visible person on the other side, especially when things aren't wildly positive on your own side.  Focusing too much attention on someone other than Trump would be a mistake, IMO, as it would give that person more credibility for their potential voting base.  Trump is the easiest one to go after.

If the only reason to hammer someone on the other side is because of fear, than does that mean that the right still fears H. Clinton?  And how do you explain the continued fascination with Obama?

There are other reasons.  It seems to me to be a pretty standard part of a general political playbook to go after the most popular/visible person on the other side, especially when things aren't wildly positive on your own side.  Focusing too much attention on someone other than Trump would be a mistake, IMO, as it would give that person more credibility for their potential voting base.  Trump is the easiest one to go after.

If the only reason to hammer someone on the other side is because of fear, than does that mean that the right still fears H. Clinton?  And how do you explain the continued fascination with Obama?
:shrug:

The answer is painfully obvious.  The Dems are worried that Biden has done such a poor job that POTUS is lost next election cycle no matter what.  That includes Trump.  I'm mean why else would you have people in here hoping for someone like Romney?   :lol:

supermike80 said:

Yes, at least to me, the goal is to have good candidates. Not to just "win at all costs". That's more of a sports mentality. This isn't a game.

I couldn't really speak to what "Democrats want" because I don't play for a team, so the bolded statement about having good candidates presented me a chance to post my perspective. I evaluate the candidates and choose between them regardless of party. For example, if 2016 were reversed where Trump was a D and Hillary was a R, I would have voted for Hillary as a R. Ironically I voted for GHWB over Bill Clinton in 1992.

And looking forward, I'll continue the process of evaluating both candidates and deciding. Will their party affiliation matter? Yes, but it isn't the deciding factor. For example, if Mitt Romney ran against Joe Biden, I would very much consider voting for Mitt.

I'm not at all "scared" of Donald Trump, nor emotional about it. Objectively speaking, Donald Trump cares about Donald Trump, not democracy. He would install himself as dictator in a second if he could. He supports strongmen leaders like Putin, Viktor Orban, heck even Kim Jong-un. Just calling it like I see it. I grew up in NYC in the 70s and 80s. That's the background from which I oppose Donald Trump, because the guy is a con-man, straight up. He unabashedly leverages division in the country and I don't understand the appeal. Some people are attracted to that, they want to "destroy the other side" and advocate a "national divorce strategy". Not me. That attitude really bothers me as an American.

So yes, please keep Donald Trump away from the nomination at all costs. Democracy is what's at stake with this guy. Not sure how that isn't obvious by now. 

So yes, please keep Donald Trump away from the nomination at all costs. Democracy is what's at stake with this guy. Not sure how that isn't obvious by now. 
All good till you threw this last sentence in.   Since some have not seen it as so obvious,  this makes no sense.  If Donald Trump is dangerous to democracy and he would lose in the 2024 election to the dems because he is so crummy, that should help the ,cause not hurt it.

Sorry I didn't see something as so obvious.   

All good till you threw this last sentence in.   Since some have not seen it as so obvious,  this makes no sense.  If Donald Trump is dangerous to democracy and he would lose in the 2024 election to the dems because he is so crummy, that should help the ,cause not hurt it.

Donald Trump being dangerous to democracy has nothing to do with "and he would lose the 2024 election to dems because he is so crummy". Not sure where that part came from. He can be dangerous to democracy all by itself.

If anyone doesn't think that it's obvious that he doesn't believe in democracy, queue up the call he made to the GA Secretary of State for starters.

Good topic by the way, thanks for starting it.  

Joe Bryant said:
For what it’s worth, I answered his question before he even started this thread. I think my answer parallels many subsequent answers in this thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/?do=findComment&comment=23793729

supermike80’s response:

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/?do=findComment&comment=23793942

Seems to me like this was a pretty simple question asked, question answered, answer accepted, exchange.

pinkham13 said:
Not a Democrat. Don’t want Trump. I have voted for both Democrats and Republicans at the top of the ticket in my lifetime. Rhetoric varies between the two but the end results and trajectory  are always the same. More loss of privacy and freedom to gather/breathe freely. More restricted travel and invasive searches. More concentrated power control and wealth for the few at the top.
 To the bolded, Biden is the only Democrat I have ever voted for in any federal office...and it was really against Trump, not for Biden at all.  Figured he would be better than he has been, but not by much.  Still miles ahead of Trump in every category for me, even though I might agree with some of Trump's policies more so than Biden's.

This to me is a "win at all costs" "if you aren't cheating your aren't trying" mentality that is in our sports also, just permeates all levels of society at this point and that is our biggest problem and the root cause of our divide IMO.

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
For what it’s worth, I answered his question before he even started this thread. I think my answer parallels many subsequent answers in this thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/?do=findComment&comment=23793729

supermike80’s response:

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/?do=findComment&comment=23793942

Seems to me like this was a pretty simple question asked, question answered, answer accepted, exchange.

No idea about the Jan 6 thread. I've read only a tiny fraction of the posts. 

I'm sure we have lots of the same questions asked and discussed in lots of different threads. 

My observation was telling someone the question has already been answered dozens of times usually won't lead to anything positive. Nor will repeatedly asking the same question. Mostly,  that was me thinking/whining out loud. 

I think a better question is if republicans want Trump to run?  He absolutely, unfortunately, has a chance to beat Biden but I think any moderate republican candidate would win easily. 

This seems to me the biggest disconnect in this conversation.

I think you might be the only one thinking that "crummy" and "dangerous to democracy" naturally leads to him losing the election.

This seems to me the biggest disconnect in this conversation.

I think you might be the only one thinking that "crummy" and "dangerous to democracy" naturally leads to him losing the election.
He already lost once..why not again??????

He already lost once..why not again??????
He could.  Maybe would.  But there happen to be a heck of a lot of people out there who don't think he was crummy or dangerous to democracy, want him to win, and some think he never even lost the first time.  

Do you think he'd have no chance to win?

Users who are viewing this thread