What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't Get Cute - Defined by What? (1 Viewer)

battlestar

Footballguy
Wondering where the line is for this. Of course i have my specific situation in mind, but i am not asking for a roster decision. What i am wondering is if the notion of sitting a reliable and predictable QB2 (to pair with ARod) in Superflex for a high upside homerun swing replacement is the definition of "getting Cute". Do i dance with the one who brought me or take a leap and hope for the best?

Do you have examples? What are the situations?

Am i totally over thinking all of this? haha (hint - i think i am!)

Well in one league where I dug myself a hole by starting Mason and rams D, I am considering switching out Wilson and Ingram for Manziel and Gordon. That would probably be the definition of "getting cute." My opponent has Brady, Foster, Hilton, Maclin and Gronk plus others. Right now to me he looks like he will hammer me so I'm thinking of swinging g for the fence. In other leagues where I also have Manziel, I am leaving him on the bench for Sanchez and Wilson. In these matchups I seem favored or even. Just my opinion, up your mileage may vary.

At play-off time that old chestnut "dance with the one that brought you" always gets trotted out. But an equally sensible, if less snappy policy might be "dance with the one you've got most chance of scoring with".

Getting cute would be making a lineup choice based on anything other than who you expect to give your team the best chance to win.

Starting the higher ceiling guy if you're the underdog isn't being cute, it's taking more risk based on your perceived need.

Some examples of getting cute:

Starting manziel over your usual QB1 only because you drafted him and want to show people how smart you are.

Starting a local player only because you want to watch the game with extra interest.

Starting a player on Monday (or even Sunday) night only because your opponent will be done and you want the last chance to win.

Starting the defense playing against your opponents favorite team only because you want to make him really upset during the game.

Getting cute would be making a lineup choice based on anything other than who you expect to give your team the best chance to win.

Starting the higher ceiling guy if you're the underdog isn't being cute, it's taking more risk based on your perceived need.

Starting manziel over your usual QB1 only because you drafted him and want to show people how smart you are.
You are being contradictory here. Starting Manziel may be taking more risk, but he has a higher ceiling than most QB1's. The problem with Manziel is that he is a polarizing hot headed do*che combined with the fact that he's never started an NFL game before. So the detractors hate him and the supporters have his college record to go by. If Manziel blows up today, all the experts that hate him (which seemingly is everyone) will have him in their top 5 QB's.

I am most likely starting Manziel over Stafford because Julio is hurt and I don't have Douglas and my HB2 has been a revolving injury riddled revolving to which I am forced to start *gulp* TRich. I'm hoping Manziel will double as a HB2 and a QB1 to make up for stats. I don't think I'm getting cute, but I sure as h*ll am taking on risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are being contradictory here. Starting Manziel may be taking more risk, but he has a higher ceiling than most QB1's. The problem with Manziel is that he is a polarizing hot headed do*che combined with the fact that he's never started an NFL game before. So the detractors hate him and the supporters have his college record to go by. If Manziel blows up today, all the experts that hate him (which seemingly is everyone) will have him in their top 5 QB's.

I am most likely starting Manziel over Stafford because Julio is hurt and I don't have Douglas and my HB2 has been a revolving injury riddled revolving to which I am forced to start *gulp* TRich. I'm hoping Manziel will double as a HB2 and a QB1 to make up for stats. I don't think I'm getting cute, but I sure as h*ll am taking on risk.
I think his point was starting Manziel could be 'cute' depending on your motivation. If you really think he is your best option to win, it is not being cute. If you are going for some "I told you so" motivation, then it is.

Users who are viewing this thread