What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (2 Viewers)

Don't ask me. I merely heard this info from an insider. There's a lot more money to be made from being an early first round draft pick vs. being a late first round pick, and he's only going to go in the early first if he has a successful final year in college. Maybe that's it?

What does he possibly have to gain from playing another season?
Is it that much of a foregone conclusion that he is going to get drafted high? Not playing this year, and all those questions off the field, I actually ahve a tough time seeing him going in the first.

What does he possibly have to gain from playing another season?
Is it that much of a foregone conclusion that he is going to get drafted high? Not playing this year, and all those questions off the field, I actually ahve a tough time seeing him going in the first.
The fact he is seriously being discussed as a first rounder with all that's happened shows you how highly regarded he is.

The fact he is seriously being discussed as a first rounder with all that's happened shows you how highly regarded he is.
By who? Online draft writers? Fans on message boards? I would submit that there are ZERO serious discussions about this guy that we are privy to.

I don't mean to go after you here, not at all, but herd mentality among draft writers is chronic.

Every article you read with NFL scouts, they don't even seriously scout underclassmen until they declare. There are plenty of seniors to keep them busy. Once players declare, they have plenty of time to break them down. If you believe the timeline that NFL scouts claim they go by, they haven't even spent much time on his film, let alone seriously investigated him. It's December. Take a look at some December posts this time last year regarding the draft. It's amazing how off people are.

Massraider has a good point. DaRick Rogers comes to mind as one of those WR that had great talent but was a knucklehead off the field. I don't believe he even got drafted. DGB is a better prospect than DaRick but he might have even more baggage who knows.

Massraider has a good point. DaRick Rogers comes to mind as one of those WR that had great talent but was a knucklehead off the field. I don't believe he even got drafted. DGB is a better prospect than DaRick but he might have even more baggage who knows.
Which is pretty much my point, I think anything short of him winning the Heisman - which if i'm not mistaken is impossible for a WR, his draft spot has no room to positively change.

Pietaster2 said:
Don't ask me. I merely heard this info from an insider. There's a lot more money to be made from being an early first round draft pick vs. being a late first round pick, and he's only going to go in the early first if he has a successful final year in college. Maybe that's it?
He would have to win the Biletnikoff to be a 1st round pick and there's very little difference between rookie contracts after that.

It would be dumb for him to stay in school but it's par for the course.

I don't think it's a matter of draft position. I'm not sure why you would want to prove yourself at college v. getting paid in the pros. Besides going later than round 1 will take a year off the rookie contracts and put him 1 year closer to FA which is where he would make the real money if he lives up to the hype anyway. Just my logic. Players are going to start seeing other players burned by that extra option year and not be happy with it over time. Can't speak enough to the awfulness of that last CBA.

Why didn't he just go to E. Illinois and play this year if he wanted to prove anything? Dude makes very curious decisions. Waiting on combine metrics if he declares, then weigh the issues.

I don't think it's a matter of draft position. I'm not sure why you would want to prove yourself at college v. getting paid in the pros. Besides going later than round 1 will take a year off the rookie contracts and put him 1 year closer to FA which is where he would make the real money if he lives up to the hype anyway. Just my logic. Players are going to start seeing other players burned by that extra option year and not be happy with it over time. Can't speak enough to the awfulness of that last CBA.
Almost negates the value of being a 1st round pick. Unless you're going to be a high 1st round pick you might as well get picked at the top of the 2nd and be a free agent in year 5.

Plus whoever is going to represent him might not want to risk another year where he could get in trouble again and be undraftable.

Plus whoever is going to represent him might not want to risk another year where he could get in trouble again and be undraftable.
Well, he can't get representation until he's already decided to declare, because hiring an agent makes him ineligible to continue playing college football. So that won't be a problem.

Well, he can't get representation until he's already decided to declare, because hiring an agent makes him ineligible to continue playing college football. So that won't be a problem.
Players can talk to agents, just not sign with one. If he gets in trouble again he might have trouble finding a good agent.

Why didn't he just go to E. Illinois and play this year if he wanted to prove anything? Dude makes very curious decisions. Waiting on combine metrics if he declares, then weigh the issues.
He was expecting to play this year. Really he got screwed by Joe Mixon. OU would have appealed and likely gotten him eligible this year but backed off after the Mixon circus.

He was expecting to play this year. Really he got screwed by Joe Mixon. OU would have appealed and likely gotten him eligible this year but backed off after the Mixon circus.
They did actually file that appeal, and it was rejected. Good thing, too. The public backlash as he was out there playing every week during the Ray Rice/AP hoopla would have been bad.

DGB to enter draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/dorial-green-beckham-big-time-talent-with-risks-enters-the-draft/

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops confirmed today thatGreen-Beckham is entering the draft, leaving school without ever playing a down for the Sooners.

Based on talent alone, Green-Beckham is not only one of the best wide receivers in the draft but one of the best players at any position. At 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds with impressive speed (he was a state champion in the 100-meter dash in high school), Green-Beckham is a physical freak who has been compared to Randy Moss and would easily be a first-round draft pick if there were no character questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see dgb jumping someone in rookie drafts and going top three.
Hes from our town, doubt I can get him in the early second, traded up to the 1.04 - considering taking him there.

Hoping he somehow slips all the way to a late first early second in the NFL draft - I think he could break the streak of terrible WRs drafted by NE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another incredible talent with stupid written all over it or can he become one of the few who gets their act together ?

Yeah...I'd be ambivalent about drafting him for fantasy. Have to think there are GMs that will just punt on him. At least as an early pick.

I'd probably take a shot at him in the mid 1st round of rookie drafts. At that point, all the players have question marks. I'd prefer my question marks to come with elite game changing attributes.

As a DGB owner in a devy league, I have a vested interest. But I wanted to put some unbiased thoughts out there before the hype train picks up, as it already is on some other forums.

The outlook on some forums of his talent is really, really rosy.

He's not a perfect prospect if you set aside the off-field stuff. Not even necessarily a great one. His agility is questionable, his YAC ability is questionable and other than a play or two where he drives his legs through weak tackles on the highlights everyone has seen, it's hard to find film of him actually getting YAC. Which is fine, that's not really his game. He's 6'6" and he was just perfecting his high pointing skills before he got booted from the team.

That doesn't change that 75% of his highlights (and it's hard to find anything other than highlights) consist of him catching deep balls behind college defenses or skying for four TD's over the same crappy 5'9" college CB in the same game.

Hey, he could be an absolute stud. His production was increasing at an acceptable rate year to year for a great prospect if he kept playing, his big plays pass the eye test. But he is no can't-miss prospect even if you ignore the off-field stuff. I think we need to temper our expectations here.

I think it's one of three things:

1. He doesn't have the body of work available to us on tape to prove he's a complete WR.

or

2. He's not a complete WR, but can vastly improve because of his ceiling.

or

3. His "ceiling" is more a construct of the draftnik/dynasty community's collective hopes for another Calvin, inflated by his recognizable name and pedigree as a famous recruit, than any real potential to be an elite WR1. Maybe rather than Calvin or Moss or Green or even Evans, he's a taller Jon Baldwin (tall, straight line, minimal short area quickness and get-off ability, disappointing hands in comparison to his highlight reel).

We just don't have the tape to know for sure, it's tough to find anything other than highlights and his big game vs. Kentucky. Mike Evans mainly broke out his last year in school, and yet we had TONS more tape of him doing the types of things people freely attribute to DGB, plus a ton more ability to work the sideline and work back toward the QB. Maybe if DGB had played another year, and being higher profile and draft eligible, we'd have the tape to know for sure and he would have proven to be what many are saying he already is. But we can't know that.

Rotoworld:

Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Sooners

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham made his debut on Todd McShay's Big Board at No. 31.

"NFL teams will have to do a lot of digging into Green-Beckham's past behavior, as it led to his departure from Missouri and could serve as a significant deterrent to drafting him, depending upon what they uncover," McShay wrote. "But as a physical talent he has all the tools to be an excellent NFL receiver, with an outstanding combination of height, bulk and straight-line speed." Opinions on Green-Beckham's draft stock wildly vacillate. NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt wrote that Green-Beckham was "a big target who kind of just jumped up and caught the ball" at Missouri and "he really didn't have any route-running concepts." The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder "has the ability to be a similar pro prospect as A.J. Green and earn top-10 grades" based purely on skill, wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Source: ESPN Insider

Jan 29 - 9:33 PM

Rotoworld:

One NFC director of personnel questioned why a team would select Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham before the fourth-round.
"I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock," the executive told Lance Zierlein of NFL Media. "He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?" What this personnel director is commenting on falls under the "unknowns" label, and only teams will truly be able to weigh the value of DGB's talent and the information about the receiver on a personal level compared to other prospects.

Source: NFL.com
Feb 3 - 2:02 PM

Rotoworld:

One NFC director of personnel questioned why a team would select Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham before the fourth-round.
"I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock," the executive told Lance Zierlein of NFL Media. "He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?" What this personnel director is commenting on falls under the "unknowns" label, and only teams will truly be able to weigh the value of DGB's talent and the information about the receiver on a personal level compared to other prospects.

read: We have an early second round pick and are really really hoping he's still there for us

DaveL said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

read: We have an early second round pick and are really really hoping he's still there for us
No way he gets to the second. The pats will not pass on him if he drops to the end. And I think if he does fall that far, the Hawks will take a hard look at him to start the transition to a more pass oriented offense.

DaveL said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

No way he gets to the second. The pats will not pass on him if he drops to the end. And I think if he does fall that far, the Hawks will take a hard look at him to start the transition to a more pass oriented offense.
I've seen at least one mock with DGB going to Seattle.

DaveL said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

I've seen at least one mock with DGB going to Seattle.
After letting Tate & Harvin go because of locker room issues, would they take a risk on a potential "drama" guy? (honest question)

How is DGB with teammates?

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham has a "rare catch radius with [an] ability to pluck would-be interceptions and turn them into catches," according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
"Imposing physical specimen with outstanding height, weight and speed numbers," Zierlein wrote. "Smooth, effortless strides to chomp up cushion and blow by overconfident corners. Runs routes with forward lean and can activate second gear when he chooses." Zierlein recently interviewed an NFC director of personnel who didn't believe Green-Beckham should be taken prior to the fourth-round. "I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock," the executive said. "He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?"

Feb 4 - 2:24 AM

I have never heard of this type of skill mentioned by Zierlein

- ability to pluck would-be interceptions and turn them into catches

Isn't that just called a catch??

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham must perform well at the combine to stabilize his draft stock, according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
"The last time we saw Green-Beckham in a game was Dec. 7, 2013 (SEC Championship Game), as he was dismissed from Missouri last offseason and sat out the 2014 season after transferring to Oklahoma," Zierlein wrote. "However, given his rare athleticism, everyone is assuming he's going to test well at the combine, and he needs to meet high expectations for his workout. If he doesn't run a really good 40-yard dash, I think that's going to hurt him." Zierlein recently interviewed an NFC director of personnel who didn't believe Green-Beckham should be taken prior to the fourth-round. "I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock," the executive said. "He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?" The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder "has the ability to be a similar pro prospect as A.J. Green and earn top-10 grades."

Feb 7 - 3:58 PM

Users who are viewing this thread