What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (2 Viewers)

Talk about expectations - dude shares his name woth boyh A.J. Green and Odell Beckham

-QG
Dude has the potential to blow them both out the water.
Seeing as Beckham averaged 100+ receiving yards per game last year, I'm going to say that's unlikely.

Unless he's the best WR in the history of the NFL, his stats are highly unlikely to ever consistently "blow them both out the water."

Talk about expectations - dude shares his name woth boyh A.J. Green and Odell Beckham

-QG
Seeing as Beckham averaged 100+ receiving yards per game last year, I'm going to say that's unlikely.

Unless he's the best WR in the history of the NFL, his stats are highly unlikely to ever consistently "blow them both out the water."
I'm not talking about rookie year. I will say that IF he can stay on the field, he will have a better career than OBJ. Green might be a little tougher. Feel free to mark this comment for 5 years from now.

Last edited by a moderator:

-QG

I'm not talking about rookie year. I will say that IF he can stay on the field, he will have a better career than OBJ. Green might be a little tougher. Feel free to mark this comment for 5 years from now.
You went from blow Green out of the water to might be a little tougher in two posts. How much backpedaling will you be able to do in 5 years? You might end up a younger guy by then.

-QG

You went from blow Green out of the water to might be a little tougher in two posts. How much backpedaling will you be able to do in 5 years? You might end up a younger guy by then.
I'm not backpedaling. I stick to blowing OBJ out. Green's a superior talent to OBJ (tho that's for another thread), so it naturally makes sense that DGB and Green will be closer as WRs. Is that hard to understand? Not saying it's impossible, just tougher than OBJ.

Character issues have derailed players like this for me. Just seems like Josh Gordon redux. No thanks.
Nobody's heard from DGB since he got to Oklahoma. That's a pretty good sign.
The bad thing is we havent heard positive or negative words on him since he got to Oklahoma. He might be another DHB. Most of his stats (when he actually has played) were padded against cupcake teams. He's struggled against better DBs historically. The NFL is full of "better DBs". I'll pass until late in the draft. There's been plenty of tall, "fast" WRs that have washed out of the league within 3 years. He doesn't have the mental capacity or the discipline to do what it takes at this point. So therefore, he's not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick in rookie drafts.

Character issues have derailed players like this for me. Just seems like Josh Gordon redux. No thanks.
The list of players who are washing out of the league for character problems is getting pretty long. NFL GM's are going to stop taking early pick chances on these guys.

The list of players who are washing out of the league for character problems is getting pretty long. NFL GM's are going to stop taking early pick chances on these guys.
I think it's madness to consider this guy a 1st round pick.

Mom was a crackhead. She almost killed him in the womb with drugs. He was adopted by his high school head coach. Doesn't know his biological father.

Arrested twice for pot-related issues at Mizzou, one of which involved a pound of weed in the car.

Finally dismissed after a broken dorm door, and an 18 year-old girl shoved down some stairs.

Obviously what he needs is a million dollar signing bonus, and no one to answer to. :doh:

he looks stiff to me and his cuts are slow and lumbering.

Not sure he's a good fit for the NFL outside of a run as fast as possible down the field and throw it up to him type.

he looks stiff to me and his cuts are slow and lumbering.

Not sure he's a good fit for the NFL outside of a run as fast as possible down the field and throw it up to him type.
You don't have to outrun coverage when you're 6'6"
Tragically, the police don't care how tall you are.
Serious question: how many of these chronic head cases DGB is being compared to have been able to go an entire year without shooting themselves in the foot? No idea what NFL teams will think when they interview him/check his background, but it's got to count for something that he was practicing all season at a major program on a zero-tolerance deal and was never in the news once.

It's possible DGB is more Dez than Gordon.

His on-field ability is still in question, I agree with those who don't find his tape particularly special. Talking purely off-field here.

I think it's madness to consider this guy a 1st round pick. Mom was a crackhead. She almost killed him in the womb with drugs. He was adopted by his high school head coach. Doesn't know his biological father.

Arrested twice for pot-related issues at Mizzou, one of which involved a pound of weed in the car.

Finally dismissed after a broken dorm door, and an 18 year-old girl shoved down some stairs.

Obviously what he needs is a million dollar signing bonus, and no one to answer to. :doh:
Having trouble understanding how the things you point out about his parents and adoption have anything to do.... With anythingYou realize the same morons who have dgb mocked anywhere from the 1st to 3rd round are the same morons that have winston mocked as pick 1.01. Despite, "off the field issues"

There's a good chance taking Winston is a mistake as well.

The circumstances surrounding his childhood matter for the same reasons NFL teams look into that stuff.

Who will help him make good decisions? There's no support staff, really no one in his personal life that cares about him.

Also, he's a WR. Good ones are available every year, tall good ones are available every year, good free agents available every year. This isn't a QB, or a stud DE, or a shutdown CB.

From a football perspective, not a fantasy one, taking this guy in the 1st round is pretty foolish.

He has had some issues in the past but not for nothing as a condition of enrolling at OU he had to agree to drug testing, continue rehabilitation, and was under a zero tolerance policy with dismissal for one failed drug test which I assume never happened because he never got dismissed.

He has had some issues in the past but not for nothing as a condition of enrolling at OU he had to agree to drug testing, continue rehabilitation, and was under a zero tolerance policy with dismissal for one failed drug test which I assume never happened because he never got dismissed.
This is what I'm saying. That has to count for something when you're talking about how bad his off-field concerns are. Not many of these chronic knuckleheads can keep clean and off the radar for an entire year.

Passing a drug test is just one part of it. There's no test for smacking women, or for driving in a car with a pound of weed.

One year is one year. A lot of players have held it together for one year, gotten their money, then fell apart.

The scary part is, that's the best thing he has going for him, from a character standpoint: 'Haven't messed up this year!'

Passing a drug test is just one part of it. There's no test for smacking women, or for driving in a car with a pound of weed.

One year is one year. A lot of players have held it together for one year, gotten their money, then fell apart.

The scary part is, that's the best thing he has going for him, from a character standpoint: 'Haven't messed up this year!'
Were Gordon, Blackmon, or Dez able to stay out of the news for a year early in their careers (or now)? It's not much, but it means that when put into a no-tolerance, no do-overs scenario with his future at stake he walked the line and we didn't hear a peep. That's more than you can say about Gordon, for example.

Mom was a crackhead. She almost killed him in the womb with drugs. He was adopted by his high school head coach. Doesn't know his biological father.

And this stuff is on him? Pretty weak.

It's not 'on him' in the sense that it's his fault.

But when trying to assess risk, you're dang right that it matters, and is a negative mark in a scouting report. Feel free to pretend it doesn't matter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362711-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

— After seeing Dorial Green-Beckham in person before the Super Bowl, I started asking NFL scouts what they've heard about his year at Oklahoma. As one Southwest scout assigned to Oklahoma told me, "He's completely turned his life around. Big brother moved in, whipped his ### and took control. He's on the straight-and-narrow since leaving Mizzou."

— As teams get together at headquarters to group scout players, one director of scouting told me he was "very surprised" by Green-Beckham's speed on tape. "He has a lot more scoot than I saw back in January."

Bracie Smathers said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362711-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

— After seeing Dorial Green-Beckham in person before the Super Bowl, I started asking NFL scouts what they've heard about his year at Oklahoma. As one Southwest scout assigned to Oklahoma told me, "He's completely turned his life around. Big brother moved in, whipped his ### and took control. He's on the straight-and-narrow since leaving Mizzou."

— As teams get together at headquarters to group scout players, one director of scouting told me he was "very surprised" by Green-Beckham's speed on tape. "He has a lot more scoot than I saw back in January."
Give him big brother of the year.

massraider said:
doowain said:
I think it's madness to consider this guy a 1st round pick. Mom was a crackhead. She almost killed him in the womb with drugs. He was adopted by his high school head coach. Doesn't know his biological father.

doowain said:

It's not 'on him' in the sense that it's his fault.

But when trying to assess risk, you're dang right that it matters, and is a negative mark in a scouting report. Feel free to pretend it doesn't matter.
There is risk he busts as an NFL WR because he doesn't know his biological father? And his mom was a crack head?

Are you just making ignorant statements or do you have examples to back this up?

There is risk he busts as an NFL WR because he doesn't know his biological father? And his mom was a crack head?

Are you just making ignorant statements or do you have examples to back this up?
What I believe is that when the NFL tries to predict whether a guy with a history of drug problems and violence towards women can pull it together,ONE THING they will look for a support network that will help him mature.

He is about to be a 22-year-old kid with 6 figures in the bank. Where does he go in the offseason? Who helps him manage his money?

It's not his FAULT he's the product of a messed-up childhood, but that frankly doesn't matter to NFL teams. It's the hand he's dealt, and if NFL teams can't find a responsible adult within 20 miles of him, that's going to be seen as a negative.

I also have no idea if he doesn't have someone like that already. Perhaps his football coach/adoptive father is that person. Perhaps his older brother is. Or maybe his high school coach couldn't care less now that he's not helping that guy's career, and maybe his older brother is an opportunist that just wants to cash in.

I believe the factors that sold New England on Aaron Dobson was his intelligence.

Belichick said he put Dobson through the intelligence wringer — game film, discussions, chalk talk on the whiteboard — and he passed with flying colors.
Patriots are know for their complicated playbook. So I won't be mocking DGB to the Patriots.

I believe the factors that sold New England on Aaron Dobson was his intelligence.

Belichick said he put Dobson through the intelligence wringer — game film, discussions, chalk talk on the whiteboard — and he passed with flying colors.
Patriots are know for their complicated playbook. So I won't be mocking DGB to the Patriots.
Cleveland, you can buy the Jersey now. Not even a question.

"I watched every target to him in 2013, and he has no idea what he's doing, but he changes games," Mayock said.

:lol:
Pretty scathing evaluation for someone whos watched every one of his targets, dude has a very brief college career and has more than a handful of huge plays in addition to highpointing defenders at will.

What I believe is that when the NFL tries to predict whether a guy with a history of drug problems and violence towards women can pull it together,ONE THING they will look for a support network that will help him mature.

He is about to be a 22-year-old kid with 6 figures in the bank. Where does he go in the offseason? Who helps him manage his money?

It's not his FAULT he's the product of a messed-up childhood, but that frankly doesn't matter to NFL teams. It's the hand he's dealt, and if NFL teams can't find a responsible adult within 20 miles of him, that's going to be seen as a negative.

I also have no idea if he doesn't have someone like that already. Perhaps his football coach/adoptive father is that person. Perhaps his older brother is. Or maybe his high school coach couldn't care less now that he's not helping that guy's career, and maybe his older brother is an opportunist that just wants to cash in.
Agreed.

When your dealing with risk assessment everything counts for something.

Rotoworld:

In two games Matt Harmon charted, Oklahoma/Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham lined up on the left side 95.8 percent of the time.

In fact, DGB never lined up as an edge receiver on the right side. Again, these were games against Toledo and Arkansas State from Green-Beckham's Missouri days. This is an amazing figure on its own, though, and Quinton Patton out of Louisiana Tech had a similar side restriction. The piece is very in depth and worth your time. Tl;dr Green-Beckham is a ridiculous talent.

Source: Football Guys
Feb 17 - 12:19 PM

-QG

He's no JStew.

Off the field concerns are one thing...but I'm still trying to find game tape where he CONSISTENLY takes over a game or befuddles opposing CBs. Hell, everyone has a "highlight" reel. My family are huge Missouri fans and they never really mentioned DHB (oops...Freudian slip!) as a guy to watch. As I posted previously...he disappears against better talent. Doesn't have the ability to just overtake a game. He's another Blaine Gabbert...sure looks purdy in shorts! But good luck to him if he makes millions for basically being tall.

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham "might be the most physically gifted wide receiver in this class," ESPN's Todd McShay believes.

"Even though he's raw and has had off-field issues, he still could be a late-first-round pick," McShay wrote. "What he's going to have to answer for are two marijuana-related charges while at Missouri, and an incident that caused him to be investigated for burglary and assault last offseason and subsequently kicked off the team." Zierlein recently interviewed an NFC director of personnel who didn't believe Green-Beckham should be taken prior to the fourth-round. "I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock," the executive said. "He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?" The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder "has the ability to be a similar pro prospect as A.J. Green and earn top-10 grades" based purely on skill, wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 18 - 9:13 PM

Users who are viewing this thread