What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (1 Viewer)

The kid is still making mistakes, but here's hoping yesterday was when the light really turned on for him and we'll continue to see results the rest of the way. With his size, speed and strength, he's got a bright future if he commits himself to his craft.

Didn't follow him coming out of college. What's his work ethic said to be like?
He's been a good boy

Pamper sorta weak effort in minicamp and OTAs, excellent ever since

Has stayed late to work on drops, study, film....been a good boy

We all knew he was a long term investment but this week was a good sign. Seems to have a little chemistry with Mariota which bodes well.

I got Devante Parker/DGB/Randell Cobb all making a bid for my WR3 spot. Dallas shut down WRs pretty good lately, so I think I start Parker over DGB on Monday night for some potential playoff drama, but still thinking about DGB. Anybody else thinking about starting DGB for playoffs? Seems uber risky even after this last performance. Randell "stone hands" Cobb has seen his targets trend down for 5 weeks straight now and if he didn't get that garbage fumble recovery TD I woulda lost. Hes been hot garbage for a month now. I wish DGB got some real experience earlier in the season. I have a feeling he's be a no brainer start by now if he had the right opps early in the season. Shame. :no:

Kendall Wright was just declared out.

Have to imagine that the Titans won't be able to run much on the Jets, leaving Mariotta to throw it a lot.

Can we trust DGB to do it again, even if Revis is covering him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Have to imagine that the Titans won't be able to run much on the Jets, leaving Mariotta to throw it a lot.

Revis is a concern, I guess, but I'm more concerned about DGB feeling overwhelmed by being the WR1 with Wright out. I didn't think DGB played very well when Wright missed weeks 9 thru 11. I like DGB more if Wright is there to take the defense's attention.

He should be heavily targeted, though, so might be worth a shot in ppr.

Revis is a concern, I guess, but I'm more concerned about DGB feeling overwhelmed by being the WR1 with Wright out. I didn't think DGB played very well when Wright missed weeks 9 thru 11. I like DGB more if Wright is there to take the defense's attention.

He should be heavily targeted, though, so might be worth a shot in ppr.
I agree - he might not be up to task yet with all the attention. But as you say, he should get a lot of targets. Revis is a blanket - even if not what he used to be - but DGB has a big size advantage that Mularkey may try to take advantage of. All it takes is one big play for DGB to put up some good fantasy points.

The Jets don't cover the TE with a CB but really should this week, but since they don't...

Douglas was limping last game and sat for a bit. He IS playing.

Mularkey said Andrew Turzilli and McBride will play "extensively." If I were Jets, I'd put Revis on DGB, Cromartie on Douglas, and make others beat me.

TZ played far more than McBride this summer and offseason. Last week when Douglas went down, Mularkey went with Sankey at WR, not McBride so I think Turzilli's the third guy here after DGB and Douglas.

He was the fastest WR over 6-3 of all WR prospects heading into the draft. For almost two years now, as the safeties are swarming Walker, Whis+Mularkey have felt a WR should be able to get open deep. Hunter and DGB have barely pulled this off a few times. What they also do is lull the WR to sleep by having him run deep for many of the running plays and as a result the effort is not there by the time it comes for the deep pass.

This is like Turzilli's specialty. A guy that barely had any stats in college. I strongly think he does this role.

That would mean DGB is more like Hunter most of this year and Douglas is in Wright's spot. McBride backed up Wright/Douglas this summer.

That would put DGB and Douglas with roles that could yield 5/6 for 70/80 and TZ looking at 1-50 or 2-100 type stats.

If Turzilli burns their 3rd CB, maybe they switch because(again) they won't have the S to help, he'll be busy with Walker. I doubt they do though. Mariota has an arm but not the best touch on deep throws.

I think this has the making of a blowout unless Mariota puts up some MVP type wow performance. Titans only hope is McBride's quickness and Turzilli's speed are underestimated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm giving the kid a start today after holding him all year. Over Funchess and Marvin Jones. He seems to be improving and is getting more looks.

. for dynasty. Traded Dez for him (got some picks back too), and looking forward to his development into next year.

positive re TZ, not so much re DGB

Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 1h1 hour ago
Mularkey: Game wasn't too big for WR Andrew Turzilli. Ran good, precise routes. Proud of him. Can do more on special teams. #Titans

Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 1h1 hour ago
Mularkey: The more that's put on DGB, it's more of a strain on him. Not a bad thing, it's where we are right now. #Titans

Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 1h

1 hour ago
Mularkey: A lot of young WRs think if disrupted on release, need to speed up. Not the case. Just need to get where they need to go. #Titans

TZ has had a very positive effect on DGB. Like I said earlier he sorta outdid him, out-hustled, studied more etc in rookie, mini, and OTAs. Then DGB got to work in TC and showed up prepared.

These two talk.and were together in a zillion camp pictures. It seemed they had that good sports bond where they push each other but also help each other.

Right now is exactly like camp. UDFA seems to know what he's doing and be well prepared(he played all three spots which DGB doesn't do), DGB seems a bit lost....next step is it clicks for DGB.

I'm very curious how the week will go. DGBs got his buddy back to talk to and...very curious

Titans could have went into the year with 3 fast WRs over 6-4. I have no idea how that would have gone with their putrid OC, but I would guess a decent OC could work something up while most teams dress 5-10 to 6 foot CBs.

My prediction- If Butler covers Walker, then DGB will do well

TZ got a lot of love this week and that's exactly how the offseason went. DGB will step up now with a "look at me" performance.

My prediction- If Butler covers Walker, then DGB will do well

TZ got a lot of love this week and that's exactly how the offseason went. DGB will step up now with a "look at me" performance.
Told ya...I don't know why but he and Turzilli feed off each other so well

I wonder what happens next week

What are thoughts about him this week? I suspect a large contingent are forced to start him with the other Beckham out. He's the best FA out there for my league so I'm interested in his prospects against Houston. Admittedly haven't seen much of him yet.

What are thoughts about him this week? I suspect a large contingent are forced to start him with the other Beckham out. He's the best FA out there for my league so I'm interested in his prospects against Houston. Admittedly haven't seen much of him yet.
I don't know, quite unsure.

They went back to sending short guys deep despite having fast big men who are extremely good at it.

Mariota throws a real strong deep ball that is somewhat difficult to go up and get.

Mett has a sweet deep throw that can end up real soft and floating.

Despite saying TZ would have an expanded role, Mularkey gave McBride his first taste of offense. He never got open and seemed to get pulled for Douglas and/or Douglas was in that spot on passing downs while McBride was in on rushing downs.

He also said no big deal about McBride's KR mistake but Andrews and Douglas returned a few before McBride was allowed back in.

So there's a whole "you're not doing what you say and you're starting to panic" going on with OC Michael and Mularkey. This makes it very hard to read.

Sending Douglas deep is dopey with DGB and Turzilli around. That little bugger...for Mett to hit him deep he'd almost have to fire it and get him in stride and...that's not his style.

Everyone I talk to explains it as McBride needed to play O before the season was over, it was shown he's not ready, TZ will be back in and get that expanded role.

BUT

Kendall Wright has decided to play with 2 broken ribs. I hate this idea. Zero to play for, serious health concern for his own lungs and organs etc with the "right" shot at his ribs and....isn't he also going to most likely wind up sitting because he took a shot and it hurts too much? So he'll get a "good job toughing it out" and contribute little which will force them to sit TZ or McBride as inactive. I am still waiting for a trainer to step up and say ya don't play with broken ribs and a flack jacket, you play with cracked ribs and a flack jacket. Maybe his wife or mom or...someone should, right? With "nothing" to gain, the Titans have an unusual opportunity to get three rookies experience and Mett too. I really wish they'd seize that.

When Wright is there, DGB is often times the 3rd WR and Wright and Douglas are opposite each other. They are ineffective every time. Somewhere in the 2nd Q, DGB plays a bunch more than when the game started, like he's subbing for each in spots, and then DGB produces. That waiting is brutal and they don't learn and just start DGB/play him as a starter.

The Texans DL smile a ton-they llllove playing the Titans broken OL. They get in there so fast and so easily it truly looks like their dream matchup. Fisher would have his QBs move and put in a FB to protect and the O would basically stay the same. Under Michael, the plan is to snap N fire it ASAP so there's 8000 short passes against a D that can really apply pressure well. This doesn't favor DGB at all but them keeping Douglas and Wright both in.

IF IF IF Mularkey were to have an intelligent game plan. The Texans are not that good on pass D and TZ and DGB could totally destroy them deep with Mett's arm and their FB could totally help buy time.

I understand your concern for FF and this week.

I had to pickup a Ravens WR I really don't know of (from TEN Chattanooga IIRC).

I put a cursory lineup in and I am...ya know what, Mett's arm is going to find DGB deep at some point. I can't handle starting a no name Raven and losing. I'm plenty used to being grumpy with OC Michael's choices so...I'm going DGB. Mett is the perfect QB for him with his arm and I just can't go with the Ravens guy. Looking at Texans roster, they literally have no one that can go up and stop a high pass to DGB. Everything is there if only OC Michael would call it as such for DGB

Based on his production over the last few weeks, there's a solid chance Jonathan Joseph shadows him. Joseph has been PFF's #1 cover CB since week 9. I suspect they'll double Walker quite a bit and shadow DGB with Joseph. Let the chips fall where they may with the rest of that offense.

Based on his production over the last few weeks, there's a solid chance Jonathan Joseph shadows him. Joseph has been PFF's #1 cover CB since week 9. I suspect they'll double Walker quite a bit and shadow DGB with Joseph. Let the chips fall where they may with the rest of that offense.
Teams rarely man up against the Titans when Wright plays. He's too fast/quick. Zone is very effective so they just do that, 90 some odd percent of the time.

If man, Wright always gets #1 CB.

Joseph was on him last time and then Douglas if out.

I think most important for Texans is to NOT allow the easy dump off to Wright and give the DL time to get to him, so I doubt they change it

Texans play a zone of sorts on Walker, like many teams. One guy runs with him but 2-3 are nearby and once the ball is in the air they are all crashing to it. Looks sneaky/schemy to start but by the fourth they are cheating so much it looks like 3-4 guys on him.

Turzilli was inactive so Kendall Wright could try and play through broken ribs.

How'd DGB do?

Oddest of odd things how he and TZ feed off each other. It goes back to camp, and when he was re-signed...been telling ya all year.

Whatever it is, Titans need to not only deal with that but give the two huge fast rookies some ideas for offseason plans together. They enter their first offseason together probably with no plans other than to rest on the couch and ....veterans or coaches need to suggest things. I have no clue about Justin Hunter in 2016, but he too can join in this 6-4 fast crew and workout together watch tape or whatever.

Maybe go visit Mariota on vacation in Hawaii?

DGB has been such a good boy. I'm fearful of this offseason bringing an issue. New staff probably, maybe new GM....players are going to have to keep an eye on each other

It's a pretty good sign that he didn't pull any nonsense his first year. Seems like most character concerns, if they gonna pull crap, do it right away, and either burn out, or wise up.​

Also, maybe a good thing that he was a 2nd round pick for Tennessee, he was kind of able to fly under the radar this year, perhaps.

I was as doubtful as any about his chances, his background is sketchy, and I'm risk-averse, but so far, so good.

Last day to add players to our keeper roster and I gobbled him up with Perriman (we're able to keep one rookie and I'll have to decide between them and Ajayi). Love his upside with Mariota next year.

Last day to add players to our keeper roster and I gobbled him up with Perriman (we're able to keep one rookie and I'll have to decide between them and Ajayi). Love his upside with Mariota next year.
I'd like to see Ajayi be more than a 3rd down back and stop looking like one.

Today, Wright is 7 mil and could be gone, DGB is a starter and they discuss often getting the ball to him. He was shut down by the Texans CB and will probably be by Vontae but it's fine for a rook to get silenced by a quality CB. Year two he's supposed to have learned. Anyway, I'd go with him over Perriman. Steve Smith, Aiken, Perriman. Amidst this mess they even added Givens and 6-3 Butler has stepped up nicely as has 6-5 Daniel Brown. Perriman's size is suddenly unspecial. I have no doubt he's a supreme athlete over them but those waters got muddied this year while he was out. DGB has the keys to the castle

I am a fan of the guy, so far kept his head on straight.   Now the talent and athletic ability can start to talk, with any luck.

According to ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky, Dorial Green-Beckham and Rishard Matthews will "ideally" be Tennessee's Nos. 1 and 2 receivers.
Not surprising, but notable. DGB flashed big-time upside during the second half of his rookie season last year and is expected to take the next step and become Marcus Mariota's No. 1 receiver in year two. Matthews was signed to a three-year, $15 million pact in March. This leaves Kendall Wright fighting for snaps in three-wide sets as the early favorite for slot duties, but rookie Tajae Sharpe could push him. Behind them are Justin Hunter and Harry Douglas.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 9 - 9:20 AM

According to ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky, Dorial Green-Beckham and Rishard Matthews will "ideally" be Tennessee's Nos. 1 and 2 receivers.
Not surprising, but notable. DGB flashed big-time upside during the second half of his rookie season last year and is expected to take the next step and become Marcus Mariota's No. 1 receiver in year two. Matthews was signed to a three-year, $15 million pact in March. This leaves Kendall Wright fighting for snaps in three-wide sets as the early favorite for slot duties, but rookie Tajae Sharpe could push him. Behind them are Justin Hunter and Harry Douglas.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 9 - 9:20 AM
I love Kuharsky. I listen to his show most every day and read his articles as well. In the offseason you either are a player he likes or you're not. There's no in-between. 

The only thing to glean from this is that he actually said Hunter could breakout. Something positive for him is surprising from PK.

They'll keep 5 WRs, six according to many as a common guess. Not 4.

Their O that barely used the WR has added two WR coaches to the mix, one is an OC. They kept their intriguing guy from the CFL. Coaching wise they really stepped it up for the WRs. This group needed it because with the odd usage and limited usage under Whis, it's hard to evaluate anyone. Hunter, Wright...you name it, they played worse under Whis. This is one of the positions Robinson mentioned needs cleaning up. They need to be 'pushed' and a decision made upon them.

Last year's two best plans were a group of WRs and RBs and TE working in the slot as a high school like split end to keep the D on edge as to who would be there. Also much of camp, they had big WRs outside, fast little bugger in the slot. Whis also said there would be many deep routes to take advantage of speed/height combos and there wasn't except for the 1000 decoy routes run.

No one has a secondary that can match up favorably with two 6-4 athletic freaks and super quick Wright. Doesn't matter if they don't throw them ball or if they don't catch it or if the O is so predictable the DB has a lifetime to recover. On paper(only) they have an amazing WR corps of 1st and 2nd round starters with tons of potential.

Rishard was signed because he doesn't drop the ball.

Douglas was signed last year for this reason but, he didn't play very well and never looked comfy.

McBride is very fast and very well drilled. He didn't get in til late and was holy wow nervous and then finally calmed down in week 16 or 17. A player rated pretty highly that fell unexpectedly in the draft now has a year under his belt.

Sharpe caught a million passes in college and was signed for his route running and hands. He's 6-2. The writeups on him are either glowing or not. No one seems to think he could be average.

Demaris Johnson was signed late in the year to return kicks. Curiously he's the only one I've heard the staff even mention much. They plan to use a WR as a return man this year and are done with RBs doing it. Andrews was the only one mentioned as having done a good job at it and he did fumble too but he could be the backup. They did not say Demaris had the job or anything just how they started to transition to WR returns last December and didn't have the time. (Yeah how long does it take) Anywho he never played last year so he's a curious signing. Many articles this offseason, the authors even forgot he was on the team- that's how much of an afterthought he was.

Andrew Turzilli is the fastest tall WR you have ever seen until you remember Hunter was lauded for his speed. No idea who is faster in games but holy can they get deep in a hurry. 

The Titans are being tight-lipped on their new offense thus far. All we know is Delanie will block more and HE said he doesn't expect as many catches.

Rookie minicamp is Friday and it'll be the first time they can even run 11 on 11. That should be our first glimpse of the new O and it should get the coaches talking.

I asked a couple Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Cincy writers and they all expect the same based upon the previous coach they used to cover-big outside, small quick guy in slot. That's what I expected and I guess I got some confirmation. That was Whis' best plan and suits their personnel.

Hunter and Turzilli are excellent students and perform extremely well in camp. Hunter has been one of the best WRs in the NFL in preseason each year. His issues are when the reps aren't there anymore or the O as I mentioned etc. I strongly doubt he gets cut because he regularly outperforms everyone in the summer. How will all the other guys show up to camp? Will they know the plays? DGB did not last year and 'grew up quick' with Turzilli's help and those two bonded in a great way pushing each other. Wright 'bucked' at the new O and Whis called him out for not running the routes completely- he didn't want him curling back or adjusting because the QB is under pressure. Those two butted heads and Whis became more critical of Wright and...I don't know how he'll adjust to a new O.

I don't think it changes and it'll still be the 1st and 2nd rounders starting- Hunter and DGB outside with Wright in the slot.

Whis moved Wright outside and made him play 'the big role' and his stats plummeted. The previous OC had no O, just Wright run over the middle 5 yards deep and catch a pass. It was brutal but still no one could cover Wright and he had nearly 100 catches. I don't know that he can catch the ball in traffic like Welker and Edelman, he's going to need to. He is fantastic at snap N throws or take two steps and turn. He can catch it and scoot so very quickly. 

The way I look at it is first one to mess up gets subbed for and did that sub produce? Then it'll be how far down the depth chart did the camp starter fall? I know this isn't uncommon it's just ya gotta start with the first n second rounders as the starters.

If I had to predict today I would say their six are- DGB, Hunter, Douglas, Matthews, McBride, and Turzilli

Sharpe gets cut n planned for PS but he gets claimed by someone else. Wright gets exposed and his 7 mil contract is sent packing and/or traded.

McBride or Wright over Douglas is very possible as they play better but the coaches like Douglas so there's that disconnect.

I think Wright is more n more uncomfy in the NFL as he gets older. With a TE happy coach and the wonderful Delanie around, they're not gonna tolerate struggles from the slot. They'll skip the third WR and use Delanie if need be. 

Mine is a very unpopular opinion but small Wright can't block well and if they are doing anything like a Pittsburgh or Jax offense then the WRs better block well. DGB is phenomenal one play shakey the next. He'll be fine. Hunter is a fine blocker. They finally have backs good enough to even discuss downfield blocking and I expect this will be (not the only but) yet another knock on Wright. IMO he's similar to Austin in STL and potentially they are better off with traditional roles.

Dorial Green-Beckham is working his way back from a hamstring injury.
It's unclear when or how long he's been dealing with the injury. Green-Beckham seems to be okay but it could take him a couple weeks to get back to full speed. "He has some work to do," said coach Mike Mularkey. DGB missed most of OTAs with a similar injury last season. Despite an inconsistent rookie year, the 23-year-old should start opposite Rishard Matthews in 2016.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter
May 13 - 4:50 PM

I hope this issue wont linger for the season. As an owner in a dynasty league, these are the injuries that make you sweat a little.

I hope this issue wont linger for the season. As an owner in a dynasty league, these are the injuries that make you sweat a little.
He is Isaac Bruce II in this regard and like him, DGB needs to get his own trainer. A Sooners friend of mine said he pulled his hammy at Missou and OU so...cmon. It's stretching, it's diet, it's time to spend some of those big bucks and have a trainer take over.

With a good and getting better defensive unit and the tandem of Murray/Henry (Mularkey), I'm expecting the Titans to run the ball more than your average NFL team.  That might be "balanced" but still less than the rest of the pass happy NFL.

Delanie Walker had a career year with Mariotta.  Not sure if the rookie QB was using him as a security blanket.  

I like DGB; just tempering expectations on what could be a run first team and one with a different leading receiver each week.

With a good and getting better defensive unit and the tandem of Murray/Henry (Mularkey), I'm expecting the Titans to run the ball more than your average NFL team.  That might be "balanced" but still less than the rest of the pass happy NFL.

Delanie Walker had a career year with Mariotta.  Not sure if the rookie QB was using him as a security blanket.  

I like DGB; just tempering expectations on what could be a run first team and one with a different leading receiver each week.
In theory they might want to be a run first team, but in that division I can see them playing from behind a lot.

Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Titans

Dorial Green-Beckham (hamstring) is practicing in full at OTAs.
DGB missed some time at voluntary workouts, and our last blurb had him being sidelined. We're using this as a way to relay he's 100 percent healthy. Speaking after Tuesday's first OTA, Mariota said of Green-Beckham, "The dude is a stud. ... (We have to) find ways to get him the football and let him do his thing."

Have to believe it to see it, but certainly a good sign when your QB talks you up like that.

Like this

Have to agree with this one...

and don't you hate when you get a guy your not totally comfortable, but he's being hyped by every other fantasy player. That's what is happening to me at the moment. Got DGB in a trade and now I have to think he will be a future star, which I doubt. And I'm not sure I doubt it because of DGB, but because of Titans. It will be a run first team with unproven rising QB. Somehow I can't see the "Randy Moss" in him, but  I see this situation more similar to Justin Hunter- a lot of hype and no gain. Hope I'm totally wrong... 

Have to agree with this one...

and don't you hate when you get a guy your not totally comfortable, but he's being hyped by every other fantasy player. That's what is happening to me at the moment. Got DGB in a trade and now I have to think he will be a future star, which I doubt. And I'm not sure I doubt it because of DGB, but because of Titans. It will be a run first team with unproven rising QB. Somehow I can't see the "Randy Moss" in him, but  I see this situation more similar to Justin Hunter- a lot of hype and no gain. Hope I'm totally wrong... 
Well to be fair the hype is mostly from the FF community rather than beat writers and league sources. The recent press on him hasn't exactly been effusive, yet he's still going in the 3rd round in dynasty startups. I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but DGB has shown little-to-no progression as a WR since his sophomore year of college, which in terms of production i would term as decent - good, and in terms of technical skills I would rate as below average. He was drafted by the NFL based on his HS recruiting grades, and is being over-drafted by FF owners for presumably the same reason. How "Randy Moss" became a possible comp or entered this thread, I'll never understand.

Well to be fair the hype is mostly from the FF community rather than beat writers and league sources. The recent press on him hasn't exactly been effusive, yet he's still going in the 3rd round in dynasty startups. I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but DGB has shown little-to-no progression as a WR since his sophomore year of college, which in terms of production i would term as decent - good, and in terms of technical skills I would rate as below average. He was drafted by the NFL based on his HS recruiting grades, and is being over-drafted by FF owners for presumably the same reason. How "Randy Moss" became a possible comp or entered this thread, I'll never understand.
This is totally untrue.

He was very wet behind the ears when the Titans got him. He (and Cobb) didn't bring a work ethic to the NFL but an "I'm a star" attitude like many rooks do. DGB got outplayed and outhustled in rookie camp by Turzilli. He didn't pick up the plays well either.

Before camp, he got with TZ and they went through the playbook together. When camp started DGB came ready to work. He shook whatever spring attitude he had.

There was on interview on the Titans site where I even forget whom was being interviewed. In the background, like day two of camp, you saw DGB go by the Jugs machine and the veterans come over and talk to him, practice with him a bit, and cheer him on. 

Shawn Jefferson didn't exactly have success with Titans WRs (in their 2 and 3 TE offense) but he is a well known loud type coach and seemed to get real good results in getting guys to 'move it' and hustle in practice. If I'm not mistaken Gase wanted him in Miami to coach their impressive young WRs.

DGB was pushed by TZ all camp and he pushed back too. It's not common to have a 6-4 guy as your hustler type but those two bonded and it was just what DGB needed. 

Early on DGB wasn't very good. He looked uncomfortable and like the speed of the game was too much for him. You could tell he was thinking too much.

About midseason, Wright and Hunter got hurt. Ready or not, you're the man DGB.

It took him a couple weeks and he wasn't wholly comfortable but he had two games with roughly 5 catches for 120 yards. 

For a not ready rookie, for a guy that sat the year before, two of eight(guess) impressive games is fine. We needed to see something and he showed it.

Year two is often about reliability and becoming 'the man' on the team. 

Things will be easier in year two for him. It's not easy to be the only WR on the field at times. Most people miss that when discussing their 3 TE offense. It wasn't pretty, Mularkey was the former TE coach and a former TE himself, and they were the worst team in football. There's no pig with lipstick there. It was ugly.

Mularkey is riding him and the other WRs. He wants more than 36 catches from his best WRs. It was just OTAs but every reporter noticed the attention the WRs were getting. His OC is a former WR coach and his WR coach is a former OC. The WRs improvement is the focal point this summer.

If you don't think Bratkowski, Robiskie, and Mularkey can get DGB and others to step up well that's your prerogative but to say he never progressed totally ignores last season and is untrue

This is totally untrue.

He was very wet behind the ears when the Titans got him. He (and Cobb) didn't bring a work ethic to the NFL but an "I'm a star" attitude like many rooks do. DGB got outplayed and outhustled in rookie camp by Turzilli. He didn't pick up the plays well either.

Before camp, he got with TZ and they went through the playbook together. When camp started DGB came ready to work. He shook whatever spring attitude he had.

There was on interview on the Titans site where I even forget whom was being interviewed. In the background, like day two of camp, you saw DGB go by the Jugs machine and the veterans come over and talk to him, practice with him a bit, and cheer him on. 

Shawn Jefferson didn't exactly have success with Titans WRs (in their 2 and 3 TE offense) but he is a well known loud type coach and seemed to get real good results in getting guys to 'move it' and hustle in practice. If I'm not mistaken Gase wanted him in Miami to coach their impressive young WRs.

DGB was pushed by TZ all camp and he pushed back too. It's not common to have a 6-4 guy as your hustler type but those two bonded and it was just what DGB needed. 

Early on DGB wasn't very good. He looked uncomfortable and like the speed of the game was too much for him. You could tell he was thinking too much.

About midseason, Wright and Hunter got hurt. Ready or not, you're the man DGB.

It took him a couple weeks and he wasn't wholly comfortable but he had two games with roughly 5 catches for 120 yards. 

For a not ready rookie, for a guy that sat the year before, two of eight(guess) impressive games is fine. We needed to see something and he showed it.

Year two is often about reliability and becoming 'the man' on the team. 

Things will be easier in year two for him. It's not easy to be the only WR on the field at times. Most people miss that when discussing their 3 TE offense. It wasn't pretty, Mularkey was the former TE coach and a former TE himself, and they were the worst team in football. There's no pig with lipstick there. It was ugly.

Mularkey is riding him and the other WRs. He wants more than 36 catches from his best WRs. It was just OTAs but every reporter noticed the attention the WRs were getting. His OC is a former WR coach and his WR coach is a former OC. The WRs improvement is the focal point this summer.

If you don't think Bratkowski, Robiskie, and Mularkey can get DGB and others to step up well that's your prerogative but to say he never progressed totally ignores last season and is untrue
*semantics*

let me rephrase, DGB was nowhere near NFL-ready (relative to other incoming rookies) last season, and is still behind where you would expect an average NFL starter to be in terms of WR skills. His FF value is based more on expectation (or potential is a nicer term) than just about any other player imo

Users who are viewing this thread