What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

Yea, cj2k just kept pounding the rock for a couple yds here and there, and Arians was fine with it....I guess if ur blowing out ur opponent mite as well run cj into the ground vs. give the explosive rook a good look?? Cj's explosion is gone! But he's working fine as a filler I ges.

I'm holding in redraft hoping for FG gold in the 2nd half of the season
he went 22-110-2 (5 ypc) and 1-40...CJ was very good last game.

Chaka said:
Still got 10 touches. More than I would have thought from reading this thread.
This is true, but keep in mind that Arians was still pounding away with CJ well into the 3rd quarter when the game was already well out of reach. DJ only got 4 second half touches.

Arians seems insistent that he wants to bring the rook along very slowly, even when it seems an opportune time in a blowout against a bad defense.

Banger said:
Manster said:
Yea, cj2k just kept pounding the rock for a couple yds here and there, and Arians was fine with it....I guess if ur blowing out ur opponent mite as well run cj into the ground vs. give the explosive rook a good look?? Cj's explosion is gone! But he's working fine as a filler I ges.

I'm holding in redraft hoping for FG gold in the 2nd half of the season
he went 22-110-2 (5 ypc) and 1-40...CJ was very good last game.
I admit I only watched some of the game, and did not know his final stat line.....what I did see, he looked slow.

What's this guy's value now with Ellington possibly coming back and the coaching staff clearly valuing CJ2K as the backup?

Contemplating dropping him for Ryan Matthews...

Redraft he's close to worthless. Arians won't lean on a rookie. Dynasty hold because he looks really good when he plays and he could be a 3 down back.

Redraft he's close to worthless. Arians won't lean on a rookie. Dynasty hold because he looks really good when he plays and he could be a 3 down back.
This is what I am thinking. May have to let him go for someone with more potential for impact like Andrews

Im holding for another week. But yea, last week was not a good sign. And with Ellington coming back.....glad I have him in a dynasty too.

Still got 10 touches. More than I would have thought from reading this thread.
This is true, but keep in mind that Arians was still pounding away with CJ well into the 3rd quarter when the game was already well out of reach. DJ only got 4 second half touches.

Arians seems insistent that he wants to bring the rook along very slowly, even when it seems an opportune time in a blowout against a bad defense.

Maybe pounding away with CJ had more to do with CJ that DJ. I think Arians knows what he has with DJ and most of all that there is a future with him. However Arians is more concerned with this years goals I'm sure he figures they have a great shot at getting to the big dance and CJ has the experience if he can produce at a high level.

Patience people. He has ubertalent. He is behind the most injury prone RB in Ellington and an old, over the hill RB who isn't playing SF every week. He could be a league winner at the end of the year.

Patience people. He has ubertalent. He is behind the most injury prone RB in Ellington and an old, over the hill RB who isn't playing SF every week. He could be a league winner at the end of the year.
I really hated having to drop him this week but between injuries and bye weeks I had no choice.

I have a feeling it will turn out as well as me dropping CJ anderson last year.

He'll split carries with some RB off the street if Ellington or CJ0K get hurt. Arians won't ride him this year. He missed half of camp and is a rookie. He's not worthy in Arians eyes.

He'll split carries with some RB off the street if Ellington or CJ0K get hurt. Arians won't ride him this year. He missed half of camp and is a rookie. He's not worthy in Arians eyes.
Probably but I think as the season progresses the likelihood of that happening diminishes.

This might be true this week and next, but I think you could easily be off base at some point later this season.

Despite his value perceived to have gone down his snap count percentage and touches are steadily going up every week.

Snap count percentage: 8.1%, 27.1%, 31.6%

Touches: 1, 6, 10

Despite his value perceived to have gone down his snap count percentage and touches are steadily going up every week.

But what happens to that when Ellington returns?

I guess we'll see. I think Ellington and CJ will eat into each other's touches and DJ's snap count and touches increase little by little. The good news is that this week will be very telling on Arian's plans for DJ this year.

I guess we'll see. I think Ellington and CJ will eat into each other's touches and DJ's snap count and touches increase little by little. The good news is that this week will be very telling on Arian's plans for DJ this year.
I think you have Johnson smeared sunglasses on. Arians is in charge of a 3-0 team that is humming right along with CJ and a soon to be added Ellington back into the mix. DJ is going to see spot duty and kick returns at best unless another significant injury occurs. I own him in a redraft and it sucks because you can see who has the supreme talent is but it won't matter in Arian's eyes. He's nothing but an Ace sitting next to two bowers at the moment.

A fumble and a dropped easy TD so far in the first quarter. Not what we need to see here.

All DJ on that last drive with game on line. Targeted on the final 4th down attempt.

He's emerging.

His time is coming. These are the type of guys you love when the weather turns and the season gets a little older. Great talent guys that are relatively fresh tend to have some strong games down the stretch.

David Johnson - RB - Cardinals
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said after Sunday's Week 4 loss that David Johnson "played like a rookie today."
Johnson totaled 81 yards and scored a 23-yard receiving touchdown, but Arians wasn't happy with the third-round pick's performance. "He dropped a touchdown pass pass, he fumbled a ball, and he played like a rookie today," Arians said. Johnson operated as the Cardinals' passing-down back behind Chris Johnson. It's possible that role will go back to Andre Ellington next week.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Oct 4 - 9:05 PM

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said after Sunday's Week 4 loss that David Johnson "played like a rookie today."

Johnson totaled 81 yards and scored a 23-yard receiving touchdown, but Arians wasn't happy with the third-round pick's performance. "He dropped a touchdown pass pass, he fumbled a ball, and he played like a rookie today," Arians said. Johnson operated as the Cardinals' passing-down back behind Chris Johnson. It's possible that role will go back to Andre Ellington next week.

"Ouch."

I'm not familiar with Arians prior to the Steelers. I've never seen him be hard on a player. He seems like a really smart guy though. In a weird way it could be a good thing as Arians is trying to get him to live up to his potential and thinks being hard on him is the best way to do it.

You coached like a rookie too buddy. Who calls a play where you throw a pass to a rookie RB on 4th and 3 with the game on the line and you have Fitz and Brown at WR.

He's talking bad about DJ because

1) He doesn't like him.

or

2) He wants DJ to be the workhorse for the stretch run but knows he can't give him that role if he keeps making mistakes like today.

Based on what we've seen on the field so far this year talent wise and the fact that he keeps having a role late in the game with the game on the line I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

He's talking bad about DJ because

1) He doesn't like him.

or

2) He wants DJ to be the workhorse for the stretch run but knows he can't give him that role if he keeps making mistakes like today.

Based on what we've seen on the field so far this year talent wise and the fact that he keeps having a role late in the game with the game on the line I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
I really hope it's the option # 2

I'm not familiar with Arians prior to the Steelers. I've never seen him be hard on a player. He seems like a really smart guy though. In a weird way it could be a good thing as Arians is trying to get him to live up to his potential and thinks being hard on him is the best way to do it.
Sounds about right.

Can understand Arians' frustration - that fumble on the kickoff gave the Rams great field position, and then the drop in the end zone was an easy catch that he should have made. That said, like any typical "parent", Arians is focusing more on the negative rather than the good things DJ did.

Likely motivation since he doesn't want DJ to think the game is too easy considering his hot start, and to keep focused.

I think David Johnson has a huge future. With that being said CJ will continue to be the starting RB (as he as looked very solid and is veteran whom Arians now trusts), and Andre Ellington will be given every opportunity to be the third down, pass catching back as well.

If Ellington stays healthy he is a dynamic home run hitter and a 3rd year veteran.

That is the Cardinals RB situation this season barring anymore injuries to any of the backs.

Next season this will be David Johnson's backfield no question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arians: David Johnson odd man out in RB corps
10404.jpg

Coach Bruce Arians indicated David Johnson will be the odd man out in the Cardinals' running back corps moving forward.
Chris Johnson has been anointed Arizona's lead back, while a now-healthy Andre Ellington is likely to take over David Johnson's old "nickel back" role. "It’s not hard, because the young guy sits," Arians said, referring to David. We wouldn't bet against David Johnson making noise later this season, but for now he's on the fringe of roster worthy and droppable in 12-team leagues. At least, until Ellington gets injured again.
Source: azcardinals.com
Oct 7 - 8:00 PM

Not surprising. Still glad I own him in Dynasty. It seems he's not going to be given a chance this year though.

Well that's disappointing. Guess Arians thinks he can win a super bowl with any ol' RB back there. He did think he could count on Ellington as a workhorse back last year so there's that.

I guess Arians is taking tips from John Fox and thinks rookies are supposed to just watch from the sidelines.

Until Ellington is back in massage therapy, that is.

Ellington will probably get hurt again at some point.

Johnson looks like a complete stud too, I'm going to hold on.

Dynasty this guy is a huge buy if the owner is sleeping on him, IMO.

Yeah I'm definitely not cutting bait in redraft and probably won't until it's very clear and way too late. This backfield is going to be a gold mine for whatever RB he decides to roll with and DJ has shown to be the most talented out of all of them.

I'm holding on with DJ as my #5 RB.

If given the opportunity, this is the kind of talent that can deliver FF championships a la Jeremy Hill circa 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't cut bait either unless there was a no-brainer WW gem available.. DJ is the epitome of a high upside stash. He's flashed a tremendous ceiling, plays on a high powered offense and is likely the most talented amongst his competition. Don't get me wrong, CJ has looked great recently but given his age/wear & tear I wouldn't be surprised to see him slow down considerably as the season progresses. Also, I really don't have much faith in Ellington remaining healthy for an elongated period of time.

In a lot of ways, this mirrors the Christine Michael situation expect DJ has actually lived up to the hype on his touches.

Imo DJ's situation this year reminds me a lot of CJ Anderson's last year where you know he's more talented than the guys ahead of him and would run away with the workhorse with goal line carries role if given a chance on a pretty efficient offense. Probably wouldn't have the upside that CJA had last year but borderline RB1 numbers nonetheless.

I think what everyone here needs to realize, is to hold on tight and think about what is probably going to happen.

Most agree that Ellington may well be injured yet again.

At some point, CJ2K will begin to slow down too, and that will likely happen down the stretch, or GASP~! he could get injured as well.

So is it too far out of the picture that A- Ellington stays gimpy or re-injures himself, and B- CJ2K begins to slow down too...?

I'm betting that in week 9 it may well be a totally different picture in Arizona.

Now, full disclosure- I had David Johnson in 3 leagues (out of 4) to start the year, and for various reasons I dropped him and only own one share.

He is sitting on the wire in one of those leagues, and I am thinking about a way to pick him back up before the weekend.

All this discussion and situation could massively change with another injury to Ellington, or Chris Johnson also.

I believe in the guys talent, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bench spot on some teams for that small chance of an explosion late season if the right things take place.

You know, while I am on it, Ellington is being massively slept on also.

People everywhere are cutting ties and I think thats a bit too hasty.

Its not like Arians didn't smother him with work last season, even though it was known he wasn't fully healthy.

Actually acquiring BOTH Ellington and DJ is probably a decent idea, if you have the bench space.

TZM

I honestly hate Arians and hope that Cardinals lose their next 4 games and then understand they need to play this kid.

addicted2ff said:
Imo DJ's situation this year reminds me a lot of CJ Anderson's last year where you know he's more talented than the guys ahead of him and would run away with the workhorse with goal line carries role if given a chance on a pretty efficient offense. Probably wouldn't have the upside that CJA had last year but borderline RB1 numbers nonetheless.
The difference in that situation is Chris Johnson has one thing going for him that Ball and Hillman did not last year in that Chris Johnson pass protects well. That is the part you can't underestimate because Palmer IS the beginning and end of all hopes of a SB run for the Cards.

They can lose ANY other player on that team and still compete but we all know its over if they lose Palmer. That, along with the fact that Chris Johnson has been effective, is what drives this move. He will either have to get hurt or get really ineffective to push him out of the top two right now and, sadly, I think even if he becomes inept, he stays top two for the pass protection and 3rd downs.

As a #free DJ founding member, I want nothing more than DJ to get in there but I don't think it happens barring injury to one of the other two. That injury of his killed his chances this training camp. Had he been healthy, he would have been the clear #1 RB on this team right now.

Users who are viewing this thread