What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Rookie David Johnson opened OTAs as the Cardinals' No. 4 back behind Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor, Marion Grice, and Kerwynn Williams.

"He ain't getting sh-t yet," said coach Bruce Arians, referring to Johnson's standing on the depth chart. Eventually, Johnson is likely to emerge as the 1B to Ellington's 1A in the Arizona backfield. Arians spoke of increasing his usage of no-huddle offense this year, which could suit Johnson's receiving-first skill set. Johnson is a passing-down/H-back hybrid.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Jun 1 - 3:49 PM
Doesn't that make him the 5th back? I see 4 names in front of him up there. Apparently being able to count is overrated in fantasy analysis.

Rotoworld:

Third-round pick David Johnson has reportedly "impressed coaches and players" with his pass-catching ability at spring practices.

Carson Palmer, in particular, has taken note. While Johnson showed major running limitations on college film -- he had a tendency to brace for contact and fail to finish runs -- he also exhibited exciting receiving skills in the open field. A cross between Larry Centers and Dorin Dickerson, Johnson will compete for a rotational role behind starter Andre Ellington.

Jun 8 - 4:03 PM

He's exactly like Ellington, only 3 inches taller, 25 lbs heavier, better hands, speed, and agility numbers. Oh and he's just like Dorin Dickerson too, if Dickerson had been a RB who put up 1400+, 1600+ and 2000+ total yds and 51 TDs over his last three years in college...... Oh he's also just like a pass catching FB. This is a strange time of the year.

I think we'll find out sooner than later that Carson Palmer wants a 6'1 pass blocker who was very good in college to a 5'9 speed bump.

Obviously this is the "silly season" time for fantasy enthusiasts like many of us here.

The coach speak and bull#### is so abundant, you have to take most everything with a grain of salt.

But combing through most of it, and just being "aware", well you can pick up a nugget or two here and there that may help you later on in the season.

The one thing I have found out about this "David Johnson talk", is no matter how you perceive it, he apparently is well liked by the team.

The one thing this absolutely screams to me, is this is one of the 2015 must handcuff scenarios as far as I'm concerned.

I am fairly high on Ellington, and while I might not be getting him as my RB1 anywhere, I will undoubtedly get him somewhere in a league or two.

I'm absolutely certain I will be handcuffing him with Johnson too.

Every season, there seems to be 3 or 4 scenarios where I think its mandatory to handcuff. (some work out, and some don't)

But this certainly seems like a scenario where I want to have that insurance, and its not like Arians and his cohorts don't mind feeding the RB plenty of work here and there.

I don't think I want any part of Stepfan Taylor or Kerwynn Williams, but protecting yourself with Johnson should be a no brainer. (especially since you can get him for almost nothing at this point, round 12 or later)

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rookie_Whisperer said:
Faust said:
He's exactly like Ellington, only 3 inches taller, 25 lbs heavier, better hands, speed, and agility numbers. Oh and he's just like Dorin Dickerson too, if Dickerson had been a RB who put up 1400+, 1600+ and 2000+ total yds and 51 TDs over his last three years in college...... Oh he's also just like a pass catching FB. This is a strange time of the year.
This guy was above average against South Dakota. I'm sure the NFL will be a breeze. He had a good combine.

Rookie_Whisperer said:
Faust said:
This guy was above average against South Dakota. I'm sure the NFL will be a breeze. He had a good combine.
19-146-2 against Western Illinois.

Rookie_Whisperer said:
And Andre Ellington went 15 for 61yds against Wake Forest in 2012, 15 for 72 against SC, and 15 for 59 against Furman. What is not to love? Maybe you love his career YPC? I'm not saying Johnson is a "can't miss" prospect, but he is certainly the best RB on that roster and it isn't close.

Andre Ellington

Clemson (Division 1-A)

2009 14 games 68 rushing attempts 491 yards 7.2ypc 4TD 11 rec 55 yards
2010 9 games 118 rushing attempts 686 yards 5.8ypc 10TD 12 rec 109 yards 1TD
2011 13 games 223 rushing attempts 1178 yards 5.3ypc 11TD 22 rec 109 yards
2012 12 games 212 rushing attempts 1081 yards 5.1ypc 8TD 14 rec 232 yards 1TD

Total 48 games 621 rushing attempts 3436 yards 5.5ypc 33TD 59 rec 505 yards 8.6ypc 2TD

Combine

5'9"
199 lbs

40 yard dash 4.49 4.59 4.7

Projected round 3

Bench

Vertical jump 34"

Broad Jump 10' 2"

20 yard shuttle

3 cone no full workout, hamstring on 1st 40 run

2015 NFL draft 6th round 187th pick 17th RB selected

NFL performance

2013 15 games 1 start 118 rushing attempts 652 yards 3TD 5.5ypc 57 targets 39 rec 371 yards 9.5ypc 1TD
2014 12 games 12 start 201 rushing attempts 660 yards 3TD 3.3ypc 64 targets 46 rec 395 yards 8.6ypc 2TD

Total 27 games 319 rushing attempts 1312 yards 6TD 4.1ypc 121 targets 85 rec 766 yards 9ypc 3TD

David Johnson

Northern Iowa (Division 1-AA)

2011 13 games 179 rushing attempts 822 yards 4.6ypc 9TD 33 rec 422 yards 3TD
2012 11 games 178 rushing attempts 1021 yards 5.7ypc 13TD 32 rec 383 yards 5TD
2013 11 games 222 rushing attempts 1286 yards 5.8ypc 10TD 38 rec 393 yards 4TD
2014 14 games 287 rushing attempts 1553 yards 5.4ypc 17TD 38 rec 536 yards 2TD

Total 49 games 866 rushing attempts 4682 yards 5.4ypc 49TD 141 rec 1734 yards 12.3ypc 14TD

Combine

6'1"
224 lbs

40 yard dash 4.3 4.4 4.51

Projected round 2-3

Bench 25

Vertical jump 41.5"

Broad Jump 10' 7"

20 yard shuttle 4.27

3 cone 6.82

2015 NFL draft 3rd round 86th pick 7th RB selected

D.J. Humphries overcomes slow start to offseason workouts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/14570/d-j-humphries-overcomes-slow-start-to-offseason-workouts

Excerpt:

David Johnson is the real deal: The rookie out of the University of Northern Iowa not only looks like the part of an NFL tailback, he can play like it, too. Overall, he looked impressive throughout OTAs and minicamp, showcasing his strength and quickness. But it was his versatility that caught my attention. Johnson ran in-between the tackles, bounced outside and also lined up as a receiver. His receiving skills also caught Carson Palmer's attention.

And Andre Ellington went 15 for 61yds against Wake Forest in 2012, 15 for 72 against SC, and 15 for 59 against Furman. What is not to love? Maybe you love his career YPC? I'm not saying Johnson is a "can't miss" prospect, but he is certainly the best RB on that roster and it isn't close.
I agree with you.

In most Dynasty drafts I've done the choice is between David Cobb or David Johnson. Where I had 2nd round picks I went Cobb due to situation. My leagues are 4 year rookie salary cap contacts though.

Rotoworld:

Third-round pick David Johnson reportedly looked like a "natural" catching the ball at Cardinals OTAs.

Per beat writer Kent Somers, 6-foot-1 Johnson "looks like he belongs with the receiver's group." Johnson was an extremely productive receiver in both college and high school, but his inside running ability leaves much to be desired on game tape. The Cardinals have likened Johnson to Andre Ellington skill wise. Johnson is a candidate to handle 7-12 touches per game as a rookie.

Source: Arizona Republic
Jun 14 - 1:42 PM

Last year I pegged Bradshaw to be good late value, and this year Johnson is giving me the same vibes. Arizona's run game should be better this year, especially because of Iupati. I don't feel like Ellington has a vice-like grip on this job, especially because Taylor became something of a goal line guy last year.

Also, the Cards this year kinda feel a lot like the Saints offenses from a few years ago. They've got big bodied sure hands guy over the middle (Fitz/Graham), some deep speed from non-dominant players (Brown/Morgan), and a lack of ground-pounding RB production. Palmer is no Brees, but he's saavy and accurate and isn't afraid to toss a deep bomb. Therefore, I expect this offense to produce by throwing to the RB.

David Johnson is a very competent pass-catcher.

Ellington is too, obviously. But I expect Johnson to play a major role in that portion of the offense. And by that I mean a guy who will be a matchup-dependent RB2 with injury upside that you can get in round 12+.

Looks legit to me. Ellington is not capable of carrying the load. Johnson/Ellington probably split this year with Johnson getting the GL. He's going to late in rookie drafts imo.

Lets see if he can block. I love how ff players get a hard on every off season only to see their rookie sleeper to suck. Freeman last year is a clear example of what I am talking about. On this forum everyone was saying he was a can't miss player. He sucked last year.

Ellington is still the guy until he gets hurt. With Johnson there Ellington is going to be fresher and do more. He isn't going to be overworked and has looked great in offseason workouts. Johnson will get some carries and some receptions but Ellington is their guy this year.

Lets see if he can block. I love how ff players get a hard on every off season only to see their rookie sleeper to suck. Freeman last year is a clear example of what I am talking about. On this forum everyone was saying he was a can't miss player. He sucked last year.

Ellington is still the guy until he gets hurt. With Johnson there Ellington is going to be fresher and do more. He isn't going to be overworked and has looked great in offseason workouts. Johnson will get some carries and some receptions but Ellington is their guy this year.
Well, I must admit, I was high on Freeman last year. And for the same reasons as I'm high on Johnson this year, the guys in front of him aren't that good.

What separates this Johnson from Freeman is that he was drafted to be the Ellington II. Arians wanted a guy like Ellington, maybe better.

I still have no *ucking clue what Smith was thinking in Atlanta when he drafted Freeman. I thought he was a sure bet to get some carries and contribute

and third downs, but Smith never gave Freeman a chance... maybe he just wanted to get fired.

Well, I must admit, I was high on Freeman last year. And for the same reasons as I'm high on Johnson this year, the guys in front of him aren't that good.

What separates this Johnson from Freeman is that he was drafted to be the Ellington II. Arians wanted a guy like Ellington, maybe better.

I still have no *ucking clue what Smith was thinking in Atlanta when he drafted Freeman. I thought he was a sure bet to get some carries and contribute

and third downs, but Smith never gave Freeman a chance... maybe he just wanted to get fired.
There was nothing wrong with Freeman. The hammerhead at HC was the problem and he finally got fired for incompetence. Inferior RBs were played ahead of him. Now the problem is RBBC.

Comparing Freeman to Johnson is like comparing a 1985 Datsun to 2015 F250. They are not remotely the same player athletically. Doesn't mean Johnson is going to be successful but Freeman never had a shot at hitting. Johnson has a shot at being the best RB in this class.

Comparing Freeman to Johnson is like comparing a 1985 Datsun to 2015 F250. They are not remotely the same player athletically. Doesn't mean Johnson is going to be successful but Freeman never had a shot at hitting. Johnson has a shot at being the best RB in this class.
Wait what? Best in this class?Well sure, technically any of the RBs in this class has a shot at being the best. In Johnson's case it is a long shot though

Negative. You need a certain level of athletic ability. Some of the RB in this class don't have it. Not saying it's likely but Johnson has the athletic traits needed.

Fantasy Benchwarmer said:

I think the bolded is a fair point. Admittedly, I'm on board the David Johnson train, but he won't see the field nearly as much if he isn't a decent blocker. -Of note, I did a quick search to try to dig up analysis on Johnson's blocking ability and found very little. His great receiving ability and overall well-rounded, yet not spectacular, skills make me think he should be at least decent on the blocking front... but we won't know until he is thrown out there and tasked with picking up an NFL blitz.

From what I have read about Johnson is that he is a willing blocker who does pretty well when asked to help in pass protection. From what I have seen of him in this area seems average to me. He certainly needs to work on technique as all rookies do.

I don't consider his blocking to be a strength or a weakness. At the same time he didn't face a lot of good competition, so it is somewhat hard to evaluate.

His blocking ability is definitely overshadowed by what he can do as a receiver.

Fantasy Benchwarmer said:

I think the bolded is a fair point. Admittedly, I'm on board the David Johnson train, but he won't see the field nearly as much if he isn't a decent blocker. -Of note, I did a quick search to try to dig up analysis on Johnson's blocking ability and found very little. His great receiving ability and overall well-rounded, yet not spectacular, skills make me think he should be at least decent on the blocking front... but we won't know until he is thrown out there and tasked with picking up an NFL blitz.
If you watch the three games of his plays that are available online, his blocking does appear inconsistent. His effort doesn't always seem to be there. Occasionally, he'll stay with a block throughout the play, but many times, he looked like he gave half the effort and barely slowed down the pass rusher.

I like his feet and think he will develop into a decent inside runner. From what I saw on tape, he showed potential
My thoughts exactly. He's Matt Forte.
Forte was an average athlete with good vision and instincts. Johnson is a workout warrior.
Their workout numbers are very close and Stump Mitchell agrees:

"[Johnson] reminds me a lot of Matt Forte," Cardinals' running back Stump Mitchell said in a recent radio interview. "You can put him outside and use him as a receiver and he's a good runner."

"He's a guy who has a lot of confidence in his ability to play," Mitchell said. "He's coachable. He's a smart young man, he's physical. He's going to make Andre (Ellington) pick up his game when given the opportunity.

"He has excellent hands and he's a bigger target to throw the ball to. He's going to be a big piece of the puzzle before this season is said and done."

Rotoworld:

David Johnson - RB - Cardinals
Coach Bruce Arians expressed displeasure with the Cardinals' running back position at Monday's press conference, adding the team intends to sign a free agent back.
Third-round pick David Johnson has been sidelined since early in camp with a hamstring injury, while Andre Ellington also missed about a week of practice with a similar ailment. Kerwynn Williams failed to impress in his reps with the first team. In order to make a move on Ellington's touches, Johnson needs to get healthy. He remains an intriguing pick in the double-digit rounds of drafts, particularly PPR due to Johnson's pass-catching skills.

Aug 10 - 4:53 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians expressed displeasure with the Cardinals' running back position at Monday's press conference, adding the team intends to sign a free agent back.

Third-round pick David Johnson has been sidelined since early in camp with a hamstring injury, while Andre Ellington also missed about a week of practice with a similar ailment. Kerwynn Williams failed to impress in his reps with the first team. In order to make a move on Ellington's touches, Johnson needs to get healthy. He remains an intriguing pick in the double-digit rounds of drafts, particularly PPR due to Johnson's pass-catching skills.

Was Ahmad Bradshaw with Arians in Indy?

Rotoworld:

Was Ahmad Bradshaw with Arians in Indy?
no

Johnson needs to get the pads on and start practicing or he'll find himself w/o an offensive role. He's already got an uphill battle with the step up in competition.

Keeping Palmer healthy and protected is a lot more important than having David Johnson.

Arizona's run game should be better this year, especially because of Iupati.
Agree. With the addition of Iupati, Shipley, and Humphries, their OLine should be one of the most improved run blocking units in the league.
Iupati was a weak link on the SF OL last year though he has become a name player to the casual fans ( non-fbgs). IF healthy he could help....but he's far from a sure thing.

Arizona's run game should be better this year, especially because of Iupati.
Agree. With the addition of Iupati, Shipley, and Humphries, their OLine should be one of the most improved run blocking units in the league.
Iupati was a weak link on the SF OL last year though he has become a name player to the casual fans ( non-fbgs). IF healthy he could help....but he's far from a sure thing.
Iupatis strength is run blocking. :yes:

PFF agrees with your "weak link" assessment as a pass blocker.

But as a run blocker he has been one of the 7 best guards (of 64) in 4 of 5 seasons and his other graded out at 12th overall. Twice he has #2, including last year.

Johnson needs to get the pads on and start practicing or he'll find himself w/o an offensive role. He's already got an uphill battle with the step up in competition.

Keeping Palmer healthy and protected is a lot more important than having David Johnson.
Agreed! It's been frustrating as David would have gotten chance to show his worth while Ellington was missing time too.

It's not like his talents have gone anywhere, but the injury is really working against him if he wants to get some carries this year.

Another Johnson might be entering the picture.

Cards kicking the tires on RB Chris Johnson.

===========================

Dianna Marie Russini@diannaESPN 1h1 hour ago

The Cardinals are pursuing RB Chris Johnson. They have offered him a 1 year deal per sources. Stay tuned to see if he says yes. #Cardinals

Bad timing on the injury. You have to love this kid's talent, though. Ellington is mediocre. Chris Johnson is over the hill, but might buy them some time until David Johnson can get healthy & get rolling.

Rotoworld take:

Cardinals RB David Johnson has been diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring injury.

Grade 1 pulls involve mild soreness and Grade 3 involves a serious tear/severe pain. Grade 2 injuries are somewhere in between, often resulting in some limping. Johnson, who still hasn't had one fully padded practice as an NFL player, should be considered week to week. The Cardinals are frustrated enough that they've made a contract offer to free agent Chris Johnson.

Aug 11 - 9:38 AM

Super bummer as a David Johnson dynasty owner. It seems as though he was brought in to be a bigger (and hopefully more durable) version of Ellington. And he is starting off his career dinged up, missing valuable time right now...

Still early for the youngster, but not an ideal start.

scothawk said:
If Chris Johnson comes in, then I guess someone is heading to PUP or IR. But who?
No one amongst Ellington/Johnson. Fairly certain Johnson isn't PUP eligible.Johnson just wouldn't start the year as the #2 (which he was pretty much gift wrapped the role if they could just see him in pads) Likely would have to make his mark on special teams or be an inactive. W/o being in pads for the foreseeable future hard to see him being any factor early on in season.

Arians isn't please with Kerwynn Williams (fumbles), Stephan Taylor (slowest RB in NFL today), Grice or any other RBs. Most/all won't make the team if Johnson (or another RB) is signed. Arians may it a point at his presser yesterday he was very displeased with his recent RB performances.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says David Johnson's (hamstring) lack of practice time is "killing him."

"There’s no way in hell I’m putting him out there (if he misses camp)," were Arians' typically blunt words. Johnson is dealing with a Grade 2 strain of his hamstring, and is considered week to week. It would behoove Johnson to be ready for Arizona's third preseason game, which is in 19 days. If he can't go for Arians' regular-season dress rehearsal, he could be buried on the depth chart come Week 1.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Aug 11 - 4:53 PM

Rotoworld:

FOX Sports 910 AM's Mike Jurecki said Cardinals rookie RB David Johnson (hamstring) will miss "at least another week."

Coach Bruce Arians has already said the missed practice time is "killing" Johnson, and vowed "there's no way in hell I'm putting him out there" if he misses camp. With Arizona set to bring in free agent Chris Johnson, David Johnson's shot at a rookie-year impact is decreasing by the day.

Aug 15 - 11:51 AM

Users who are viewing this thread