What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Johnson, Retired (2 Viewers)

He planted, shifted a little bit and it buckled and fell immediately.

Could be anything, likely tendon. Looked like a couple patella injuries I've seen.

It was just a matter of time.

Also, since didn't see it mentioned, it's a PCL for Ellington. See you in 5 weeks...maybe.

Rookie RB David Johnson. One touch, 54 yard reception for a touchdown.

Ellington is apparently out for awhile.

RB Chris Johnson 'CJ2K' didn't exactly impress. He didn't catch a single pass and only averaged 3.7 per carry (10 carries for 37 yards) whereas Ellington was over 5 yards a tote (12 carries for 69 yards).

Hmnn... Not sure about the Arizona coaching staff but I would sure like to see more of that rookie RB David Johnson fella.

I would expect Chris Johnson to get the bulk of the work while the rookie learns his protections. DJ will be worked in and is obviously the long term solution.

I would expect Chris Johnson to get the bulk of the work while the rookie learns his protections. DJ will be worked in and is obviously the long term solution.
I agree that pass protection is a big reason why DJ won't replace CJ but it seems that Chris has slipped.

------------

.John Psilas@OnTheJohnJohn 2h2 hours ago

@CecilLammey @SigmundBloom @LizLoza_FF If Ellington is out, how long before DJohnson supplants CJohnson? Do I walk or run to add him?

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 2h2 hours ago

Sigmund Bloom retweeted John Psilas

DJohnson definitely >>> CJohnson on the waiver wire, but both will get used a lot. Have Moncrief as top WW in PPR

​---

Danny Goldberg@dannygberg 1h1 hour ago

@SigmundBloom Where do you have David Johnson?

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 1h1 hour ago

At moment have Moncrief 50+% FAAB WW pickup, James Jones 20-40%, but that is always adjustable to your league scoring/lineup/bidding style

Arians calls Chris Johnson 'our lead dog'

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said RB Chris Johnson would be Arizona's "lead dog" if Andre Ellington (PCL) is forced to miss any time.
The elder Johnson out-touched rookie David Johnso 10-to-1 against the Saints, though the rookie took his only touch 55 yards to the house. Both players missed most of training camp, but Arians obviously trusts the veteran more than the rookie. David should get some looks if Ellington misses, but Chris should easily out-touch him the next several weeks. Both are great waiver additions.
Source: Arizona Republic
Sep 14 - 8:17 AM

He looked faster than 4.50 there.
That's because he runs a 4.40.
OK, I was just going by his official combine time.
NFL Draft Scout shows his best time as a 4.30 and worst time as 4.51, with his 40 time then as a 4.40.
OK. I don't know where that site got those numbers from. His widely reported official time was 4.50.

I doesn't really matter at this point. He looked plenty fast in pads running away from the Saints defense.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said RB Chris Johnson would be Arizona's "lead dog" if Andre Ellington (PCL) is forced to miss any time.
The elder Johnson out-touched rookie David Johnso 10-to-1 against the Saints, though the rookie took his only touch 55 yards to the house. Both players missed most of training camp, but Arians obviously trusts the veteran more than the rookie. David should get some looks if Ellington misses, but Chris should easily out-touch him the next several weeks. Both are great waiver additions.
This makes sense for now. Im thinking DJ will be a solid flex play all season. No way he isn't getting a handful of touches each game.

This makes sense for now. Im thinking DJ will be a solid flex play all season. No way he isn't getting a handful of touches each game.
Especially with what he did with his only touch of the game, which essentially ended it.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday he believes it's "not healthy" to thrust rookies into prominent roles.
Arians said this when asked about David Johnson's role moving forward. "I want them to earn it," Arians said of increasing Johnson's usage. Johnson played just five snaps in Sunday's Week 1 win over the Saints, but will have more put on his plate with Andre Ellington (PCL) facing a 1-3 week absence. For now, however, Chris Johnson will be the Cardinals' starting tailback.
I understand where Arians is coming from but I would think sealing a win with a huge 55-yard play with 1:44 left in the game would earn DJ something.

He's not going to play much this year. He's already, on the surface, the Cards best RB but Arians will sit his butt on the sideline. It builds character. #rolleyes

I swear to God if he doesn't play this kid he's ######ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have little doubt that DJ is talented and will eventually take over as lead back but I'm worried Arians might pull the same shenanigans when Ellington was a rookie or DJ just isn't ready yet because the transition from small school to NFL is too big to be the lead back right away. I think Arians doesn't trust him yet, hence why he wasn't in the whole game, yet acknowledges his talent with a play designed to purposefully get the ball in his hands.

Arians is the most stubborn coach of all time. Do not underestimate his willingness to ride the inferior player because the far better player is a rookie.

Arians is the most stubborn coach of all time. Do not underestimate his willingness to ride the inferior player because the far better player is a rookie.
Yeah. Plan A for Arians is to keep winning with a veteran like Chris Johnson. They have a playoff team and can win games with their defense and passing game. As much as I hate to admit it my gut reaction is that DJ gets worked in slower just in time for the playoff run.

Have to admit, I thought DJ would see maybe 5-7 touches this week. I'm surprised CJ was leaned on so much more than DJ. The matchup with CHI is a favorable one, so I'm hoping DJ can markedly outperform CJ next week.

He did that last year at QB by not looking for a better free agent and helped his team lose in the playoffs because of it. One of the dumbest moves I've ever witnessed a coach make.

Then do we just cut bait on DJ for CJ? I already have Foster and can't clog up too many roster spots with Cardinals runners.

Have to admit, I thought DJ would see maybe 5-7 touches this week. I'm surprised CJ was leaned on so much more than DJ. The matchup with CHI is a favorable one, so I'm hoping DJ can markedly outperform CJ next week.
The converse to that is if the Cards beat the Bears, Arians may not be compelled to change things up even if DJ outperforms CJ.

Do not underestimate the stubbornness of John Fox when it comes to rookies. :D

(which is probably why Jeremy Langford will not see the field much at all unless the second coming of the Black Plague takes out 2-3 other RB's in Chicago first)

TZM

Do not underestimate the stubbornness of John Fox when it comes to rookies. :D

(which is probably why Jeremy Langford will not see the field much at all unless the second coming of the Black Plague takes out 2-3 other RB's in Chicago first)

TZM
Well Forte putting up 141 on 24 carries might be the reason for keeping Langford on the bench. But otherwise I agree about Fox, he is a stubborn one.

So what are we basing the notion that Arians is stubborn upon? 2013 with Ellington as a rookie? Because that is really the only time I see in his coaching record where he kept the "best" RB on the bench in favor of a lesser talent (Mendenhall) and Ellington still got 175 touches that year. I think it is also possible that, like pretty much everyone in here, at the time he thought that at his size Ellington wasn't suited for the touches that a 3 down RB warrants.

Everywhere else it seems that he had little more than multiple middling talents and when he had a good one (FWP and PIT Mendenhall) he treated them like a workhorse.

Well Forte putting up 141 on 24 carries might be the reason for keeping Langford on the bench. But otherwise I agree about Fox, he is a stubborn one.
True, I know that Forte did well yesterday, but one night does not a season make.

It seemed to me that it was basically the Forte show, and he was the majority of their offense.

(also realize I am not necessarily predicting a massive decline in Forte)

I just know Father Time catches up to each and every back, unless Forte is one of those 1 in a 1,000....and to be honest he may well be.

When I look at Chicago, that is a team in complete dysfunction.

They lost a closer game yesterday than probably we all thought they would.

When the eventual 1-2 blowouts occur, I think we are going to see the implosion, and Cutler should be a part of it.

I can see every scenario where they let Langford run, and he could** be the lone brightspot for the future of that team.

It will almost certainly take a complete team blowup or an injury to Forte for those that to occur though.

TZM

True, I know that Forte did well yesterday, but one night does not a season make.

It seemed to me that is was basically the Forte show, and he was the majority of their offense.

(also realize I am not necessarily predicting a massive decline in Forte)

I just know Father Time catches up to each and every back, unless Forte is one of those 1 in a 1,000....and to be honest he may well be.

When I look at Chicago, that is a team in complete dysfunction.

They lost a closer game yesterday than probably we all thought they would.

When the eventual 1-2 blowouts occur, I think we are going to see the implosion, and Cutler should be a part of it.

I can see every scenario where they let Langford run, and he could** be the lone brightspot for the future of that team.

It will almost certainly take a complete team blowup or an injury to Forte for those that to occur though.

TZM
If we are talking about a potential benching in Chicago (and not an injury replacement) I think Jimmy Clausen sees the field before Langford.

So what are we basing the notion that Arians is stubborn upon? 2013 with Ellington as a rookie? Because that is really the only time I see in his coaching record where he kept the "best" RB on the bench in favor of a lesser talent (Mendenhall) and Ellington still got 175 touches that year. I think it is also possible that, like pretty much everyone in here, at the time he thought that at his size Ellington wasn't suited for the touches that a 3 down RB warrants.

Everywhere else it seems that he had little more than multiple middling talents and when he had a good one (FWP and PIT Mendenhall) he treated them like a workhorse.
There's that and there's the fact that DJ was pretty much a ghost the entire game until Ellington got hurt.

. I think Arians doesn't trust him yet, hence why he wasn't in the whole game, yet acknowledges his talent with a play designed to purposefully get the ball in his hands.
Yup, a play where he was in the pattern rather than having to pass block.

Obviously, with AE out, they're going to have to give him more reps in practice and try to accelerate his learning curve.

:goodposting:

...and every David Johnson owner hopes that he get up to game speed, performs like a beast and there will be no more Andre Ellington after this season.

addicted2ff said:
Chaka said:

There's that and there's the fact that DJ was pretty much a ghost the entire game until Ellington got hurt.
That seems like a pretty thin additional data point.

Users who are viewing this thread