What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

I think the two biggest things to look for are no fumbles and even more important, he doesn't let Palmer get beat up. If he can succeed in those two, the stats should be there.
This is my biggest concern.. One blown assignment that leads to a huge hit could lead to a benching. He won't have a long leash in that department.
Is the 4th string RB a better pass blocker?
Taylor is an excellent pass blocker.

I think the two biggest things to look for are no fumbles and even more important, he doesn't let Palmer get beat up. If he can succeed in those two, the stats should be there.
This is my biggest concern.. One blown assignment that leads to a huge hit could lead to a benching. He won't have a long leash in that department.
Mine as well. Nothing is more important to the Cards than keeping their old, injury prone, stud QB healthy for the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little worried on the first blitz pick up it looked like he got stunned a little but he didn't miss any plays and has continued to do a great job in that regard.

I was a little worried on the first blitz pick up it looked like he got stunned a little but he didn't miss any plays and has continued to do a great job in that regard.
This was a major concern of mine but I saw 2-3 really nice blitz pick ups that resulted in an extension of the play. I think he's a really good 3 down back in this league which is becoming a dinosaur. If he finishes up strong this year and CJ doesn't return, I think he's a second rounder in a redraft.

.....and add a receiving TD to the mix. Now clean up that fumbling problem son an you will have all pro written all over you for years to come.

Dodged a bullet that STL didnt recover that fumble. It was a wierd looking play. I think it may have been a HB run/pass option. Regardless, he does need to firm up the ball secuirty issues.

But all owners have to love the 22 touches 114 yards and a TD while still in the 3rd quarter.

What about this kerwynn work? Just protecting the main guy? I know the Rams have been feckless, but it was only. 14 point game.
I think the announcers speculated something about Johnson sitting b/c of the fumble but he was in on the very next play and of course caught the TD after that.

20 rushes is a lot in 3 quarters. I think DJ was just getting rest. Williams has looked pretty good tho as a COP option. Another concern for Ellington owners IMO.

What about this kerwynn work? Just protecting the main guy? I know the Rams have been feckless, but it was only. 14 point game.
I think the announcers speculated something about Johnson sitting b/c of the fumble but he was in on the very next play and of course caught the TD after that.

20 rushes is a lot in 3 quarters. I think DJ was just getting rest. Williams has looked pretty good tho as a COP option. Another concern for Ellington owners IMO.
Williams was in on the whole drive after the DJ TD, I believe. But then DJ got more work later, so I think that it is probably not a huge concern.

Yeah nothing to see here. Arizona plays this Thursday and DJ goes from 7 touches a game to 24 with a game to go 4 days later. It was the smart move.

Love this kid so much I'm considering starting him over the likes of Gurley, DWilliams, CJA, and JStew.
Wow - I would lower the euphoria a bit here. I could certainly see DJ over CJA, but none of the other three.
Yeah, FWIW, pump the brakes just a little. I also have DWill, JStew and DJ, and will be starting all 3 this week. But if I had to choose 2 of the 3, DJ would be the odd man out this week.
Hope it's not bad form to say I told you so.

Because I told you so.

Outscored everyone of those 3.

And FWIW, I benched Gurley for him. Not happy I was right that Gurley would #### the bed but happy I had the balls to sub him out for DJ right before kickoff.

I benched Gurley for DJ also. Seemed like kind of a no brainer given how bad the st Louis O has been recently.

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
The only concern I have is that Kerwynn Williams eats into his workload a bit given that he looked good on his limited opportunities. Arians didn't pull the "I don't like rookies" thing yesterday, but Williams and Taylor got some meaningful touches in a close game. Maybe it was due to the fact that it's a quick turnaround to the Thursday game and Arians didn't want to overwork DJ.

This article mentions that DJ did very well in pass protection, which obviously is key for Arians. For those that watched, can they confirm?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000595717/article/fortytwo-things-we-learned-from-week-13

A more physical runner with superior pass-catching skills, the December David Johnson proved to be an upgrade on the November version of Chris Johnson, who had averaged just 2.89 yards per carry over the past month. Arizona's touchdown leader for the season, the younger Johnson has joined Hall of Famer Gale Sayers as the only rookies in NFL history with four rushing scores, four receiving scores and a kickoff-return touchdown. He excelled in blitz pick-up Sunday, easing concerns about Carson Palmer's safety going forward.

Good day. Good pass protection. Probably could have picked up a few more points had the game not worked out the way it did. Nice player to have in the FF playoffs.

Tough matchup Thursday. Leaning toward playing him anyway and hoping he catches more passes in a tight game.

Vikings are down at least 2 possibly 3 starters on defense on a short week. RB's tend to tear it up on Thursday night. It is all systems go from my perspective!

Tough matchup Thursday. Leaning toward playing him anyway and hoping he catches more passes in a tight game.
Even if the Vikes were healthy on D, I don't see this as a tough matchup considering the defenses that Arizona has already plowed through. Also, Vikes are showing they are propped up by an easy schedule and do not have an offense to play from behind with. I see Arizona getting up early and forcing a lot of 3 and outs, which would lead to another heavy volume game for DJ.

This article mentions that DJ did very well in pass protection, which obviously is key for Arians. For those that watched, can they confirm?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000595717/article/fortytwo-things-we-learned-from-week-13

A more physical runner with superior pass-catching skills, the December David Johnson proved to be an upgrade on the November version of Chris Johnson, who had averaged just 2.89 yards per carry over the past month. Arizona's touchdown leader for the season, the younger Johnson has joined Hall of Famer Gale Sayers as the only rookies in NFL history with four rushing scores, four receiving scores and a kickoff-return touchdown. He excelled in blitz pick-up Sunday, easing concerns about Carson Palmer's safety going forward.
I watched most of the game and agree that he did a great job on blitz pickup, there were a few plays where there was a free defensive player bull rushing Carson and David squared up and stopped that player in his tracks. The other thing I like about David is that he really seems like a nice guy. Every interview I have seen he is soft spoken, friendly, thoughtful responses to questions, and speaks well. Definitely screams maturity for a young back, just like Arians and other players have said as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOg2y9LEMvw

I watched most of the game and agree that he did a great job on blitz pickup, there were a few plays where there was a free defensive player bull rushing Carson and David squared up and stopped that player in his tracks. The other thing I like about David is that he really seems like a nice guy. Every interview I have seen he is soft spoken, friendly, thoughtful responses to questions, and speaks well. Definitely screams maturity for a young back, just like Arians and other players have said as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOg2y9LEMvw
Thanks for the link

That's the stuff you like to hear. I'll be rooting for this guy going forward .

What's everyones thoughts on DJ moving forward once Ellington gets back? Seems like yesterdays showing against a tough pass rush has cemented him into the feature back role, with ellington as a COP, getting maybe 5-8 touches a game>?

What's everyones thoughts on DJ moving forward once Ellington gets back? Seems like yesterdays showing against a tough pass rush has cemented him into the feature back role, with ellington as a COP, getting maybe 5-8 touches a game>?
Who knows what Arians is thinking, but that sounds about right - similar to when CJ was the lead dog. Maybe Ellington gets a handful of touches to give DJ a breather, but I doubt much more especially given Ellington's injury history.

And it's not like Ellington gives much of a change of pace other than maybe a bit more elusiveness. DJ is just as fast and can catch as well as Ellington, and brings a lot more power. Maybe DJ is not quite there yet in pass pro relative to Ellington, but as noted above, the rookie seemed strong there yesterday.

David Johnsons the best back on that team, I think he will share carries naturally but I think he's the lead dog ROS.

Another good read on Johnson from ESPN. Good sign that he impressed Palmer with his pass pro.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/120999/david-johnsons-teammates-expected-a-breakout-game-from-cardinals-rookie-rb
Good stuff.

Loved this part of what BA said per DJ. Pretty good comparison actually.

--------------

Johnson's ability to run and catch Sunday moved Arians to draw a comparison to a potential Hall of Famer.

“He brings a heavy-down back that is very similar to the likes of a young Edgerrin James,” Arians said.

Any worry about Williams taking carries from DJ are laid to rest with this. "Arians’ plan was to rest Johnson in the fourth quarter, not just because Arizona plays Minnesota on Thursday but because after running 35 times in the team's first 11 games, Johnson’s body needed the break. But after Arizona’s other two running backs were sidelined --Stepfan Taylor by injury and Kerwynn Williams by cramps -- Arians had to play Johnson again." I had issues with Arians usage of DJ earlier this year but being an armchair QB doesn't measure up to a NFL HC. He knows what he is doing. I think we all just need to sit back and reap the rewards, for some of us, of a draft night diamond in the rough. He may just solve the Le'Veon Bell hole in my lineup.

Any worry about Williams taking carries from DJ are laid to rest with this. "Arians’ plan was to rest Johnson in the fourth quarter, not just because Arizona plays Minnesota on Thursday but because after running 35 times in the team's first 11 games, Johnson’s body needed the break. But after Arizona’s other two running backs were sidelined --Stepfan Taylor by injury and Kerwynn Williams by cramps -- Arians had to play Johnson again." I had issues with Arians usage of DJ earlier this year but being an armchair QB doesn't measure up to a NFL HC. He knows what he is doing. I think we all just need to sit back and reap the rewards, for some of us, of a draft night diamond in the rough. He may just solve the Le'Veon Bell hole in my lineup.
Mine too. Just in time, hopefully.

I apologize in advance for the lag. You'll see it on the first snap but it eases up quickly. It may pop up here and there through-out the videos as well, I'm not really sure how to fix it.

D. Johnson Week 13 @ STL Part 1

D. Johnson Week 13 @ STL Part 2

My observations:

He has a 40 point ceiling.
I meant to say thanks for putting this together last night, but I fell asleep during the second video.

In the first video I saw Johnson use several jump cuts effectively. On on play he strings two jump cuts together, one outside then the second to cut back inside where there was a hole. He is doing a better job of getting low and finishing runs when there is nothing else there. Something I did not see much of from him in college or preseason. He has gotten better at that.

Suppose I should watch the second video now that I am awake. :)

Biabreakable said:
SameSongNDance said:
I apologize in advance for the lag. You'll see it on the first snap but it eases up quickly. It may pop up here and there through-out the videos as well, I'm not really sure how to fix it.

D. Johnson Week 13 @ STL Part 1

D. Johnson Week 13 @ STL Part 2

My observations:

He has a 40 point ceiling.
I meant to say thanks for putting this together last night, but I fell asleep during the second video.

In the first video I saw Johnson use several jump cuts effectively. On on play he strings two jump cuts together, one outside then the second to cut back inside where there was a hole. He is doing a better job of getting low and finishing runs when there is nothing else there. Something I did not see much of from him in college or preseason. He has gotten better at that.

Suppose I should watch the second video now that I am awake. :)
For his size he can accelerate laterally very quickly, it's fun to watch. I think he had a little trouble anticipating holes early on in the game and left some yards on the field but this was his first legitimate work of the season. Considering his overall performance (especially pass pro.) and I think he did an excellent job. I just know, as it pertains to fantasy, that he's one of the last RBs I'd want to face right now. He has relatively fresh legs and is a threat to take it the distance on any given touch.

It doesn't hurt watching fellow rookie Todd Gurley on the other side while Johnson went to work. And he sat out the 4th

First off let me say thank you to SangSongNDance for the videos you've been putting up and a double thank you for not adding some ####ty hip hop track to em.

Now that that is out of the way I think the best thing I saw out of that performance was the fact that even though he may have had some negative yardage runs, none of them were due to him trying to do to much. When he saw nothing developing in front of him he just dropped the pads and took what he could get.

I remember a knock on him before the draft was that some were saying he was hesitant to initiate contact. I can't say that I've seen that at all this year.

This is setting up to be a destruction by Johnson.

KFAN in Minnesota reports Vikings NT Linval Joseph (foot), FS Harrison Smith (hamstring), and SLB Anthony Barr (groin) have all been ruled out for Thursday night's game against Arizona.
A Vikings defense that played above its head in the first half of the season has crumbled the last three weeks, and will now be without three of its best players on Thursday night against the Cardinals' No. 1-ranked offense. Joseph is one of the league's premier interior run stuffers. Smith is a difference-making safety. Barr can cover, rush the passer, and stop the run.
Source: KFAN Minnesota
Dec 8 - 10:06 PM

I can't help but be sad when I read all these posts. :(

I had this guy on every team, but had to drop him for a variety of reasons.

I did manage to get him back onto one squad though, so firmly still on board. :excited:

The kid is in a good position and may well help me win a championship on said team.

You gotta wonder how he will be viewed at next years drafts if he explodes the next few weeks and does great into the postseason for the Cards.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread