What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family controversy - Wedding Invitations (1 Viewer)

Nothing posted has convinced me that a cash bar is tacky. Still don't see any problem with it. I would graciously accept the bride & groom paying for my drinks, but I can pay for them myself if I have to. Not a big deal at all.

Yea very nice gesture on his part, but maybe a little late notice. He just assumed you were taking off. He's probably more disappointed that you're not staying to party and get hammered with everyone. Nothing wrong with working, but me personally I would bag the half day and party with my buds.
These guys are generally not the "get hammered" type, though I suppose the occasion may loosen them up a bit. I'd take off the full day under most circumstances, but I am out of town for a long weekend beforehand and will be taking Mon/Tue off during that week as it is and I'll be in catch-up mode. I'm leaning towards maybe partying a bit and spending the night at the hotel and then just going to work as usual on Friday AM.

I just wasn't expecting him to be so stunned that I was planning on working. Just seems kinda odd to book a room for all of us without clearing it with us first as well.

Not a big deal, thanks for the comments.

Nothing posted has convinced me that a cash bar is tacky. Still don't see any problem with it. I would graciously accept the bride & groom paying for my drinks, but I can pay for them myself if I have to. Not a big deal at all.
I don't like the word tacky, but just not something i would do.

Like i mentioned, you invite people to a wedding and then they have to pay if they want to drink just doesn't compute with me with regards to hosting an event for people.

Same way where I wouldn't invite people to a wedding and then have the desserts be a la carte with a price tag for each desert.

I don't like the word tacky, but just not something i would do.

Like i mentioned, you invite people to a wedding and then they have to pay if they want to drink just doesn't compute with me with regards to hosting an event for people.

Same way where I wouldn't invite people to a wedding and then have the desserts be a la carte with a price tag for each desert.
I went to a very nice wedding for a cousin that had a open bar for 90 minutes or so after the wedding but before the reception. Once we went into the reception I was surprised to see the open bar had ended and it had gone to a cash bar. IMO If you're going to not go full cash bar, purchase a couple kegs of good beer and a couple cases of good wine and at least offer complimentary wine/beer and allow guests to purchase liquor drinks if they so choose. Going full cash bar at a wedding reception is kinda weak.

What if it was a byob wedding? I don't have a problem with them. My fiancee lives in a pretty small, farmish type town. They literally have one stoplight in the entire city limits. The weddings are generally very cheap, because if you make $10 an hour, you're making great money. The last two weddings we went to were cash bar, and I wasn't offended at all, we sat at picnic tables during the ceremony. It's just not something we wanted to do with our personal wedding. We opted for fake rose petals in our centerpieces on the tables (in a vase full of water with a floating candle, they look real as can be saved about $500), Chinette plates, forks etc instead of "real ones", which saved close to $1k. And then spent that 1500 on three kegs, a bunch of wine and a few bottles of liqour for our two drinks. I guess it really depends on the wedding. We decided we'd rather serve a bit nicer meal and free drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if it was a byob wedding? I don't have a problem with them. My fiancee lives in a pretty small, farmish type town. They literally have one stoplight in the entire city limits. The weddings are generally very cheap, because if you make $10 an hour, you're making great money. The last two weddings we went to were cash bar, and I wasn't offended at all, we sat at picnic tables during the ceremony. It's just not something we wanted to do with our personal wedding. We opted for fake rose petals in our centerpieces on the tables (in a vase full of water with a floating candle, they look real as can be saved about $500), Chinette plates, forks etc instead of "real ones", which saved close to $1k. And then spent that 1500 on three kegs, a bunch of wine and a few bottles of liqour for our two drinks. I guess it really depends on the wedding. We decided we'd rather serve a bit nicer meal and free drinks.
With byob, expectations are set beforehand. Cash bar is usually a blindside you get once you're there.

Bumping this ditty as the sister from the original post just sent her wedding invites out. Invite is Adults Only. Not any happier about it - but I will keep my trap shut and just choose not to attend. And it's the niece that I am closest with.

Bumping this ditty as the sister from the original post just sent her wedding invites out. Invite is Adults Only. Not any happier about it - but I will keep my trap shut and just choose not to attend. And it's the niece that I am closest with.
It's nice that you came back a year later for more punishment.

Something tells me that this is exactly what she wants.

Or you could find a babysitter like a reasonable person.

You guys are living in the past. I acknowledged it was here decision - just like it's mine.

And it's way tacky to invite single men in their 20's without a plus 1

You guys are living in the past. I acknowledged it was here decision - just like it's mine.

If I'm single why would I WANT to bring a date?

:pickle:

Not for much longer.

Can't believe you came back for round 2. So you're snubbing the niece you're closest to, to make a personal stand? Wow dude, I feel sorry for ya. Being a grandfather, haven't you figured out that it's about family and not individual agendas? Get over yourself.

Talk about living in the past. I'm 30 and my wife is 27. I can't even count how many weddings we've been to over the past 4 years. No one gets invited with true "guests" anymore. People will invite serious significant others and name them on the invitation. Zero times have I seen people bring someone who would be a stranger to the couple. Maybe, MAYBE it's something you offer people in the bridal party as a courtesy/thank you.

Like the Lannisters?

Talk about living in the past. I'm 30 and my wife is 27. I can't even count how many weddings we've been to over the past 4 years. No one gets invited with true "guests" anymore. People will invite serious significant others and name them on the invitation. Zero times have I seen people bring someone who would be a stranger to the couple. Maybe, MAYBE it's something you offer people in the bridal party as a courtesy/thank you.
Really? Sounds bizarre - why would a single guy even want to go to a family wedding - half the place is off limits (in my neighborhood)..

That was my thought too. I'm 27 and have been attending a few a year for awhile now, usually with people in generally the same circles (obviously). I don't think I've been to any wedding where a single twenty-something gets to invite a guest, assuming they're not in a serious relationship. I get invited by name on the wedding invites for my girlfriend's friends, and vice versa her for mine....but never just "Person X and Guest".

Really? Sounds bizarre - why would a single guy even want to go to a family wedding - half the place is off limits (in my neighborhood)..
Because you love and care about your family member and want to celebrate their day with them?

you gotta be shtick

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that opinions now are the same as they were when you brought this up the first time. It's not about you. It never will be. As for the +1 thing, I don't see the big deal one way or the other. Especially to the level of "tacky".

Users who are viewing this thread