What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Yeah the majority of games are Sunday-Monday, you have to sign up for them before 1pm Sunday. Last night was just the appetizer. Hyde is 6200.

Really bummed I do not see 1pm only contests on FD right now. Those were most profitable last year for me for whatever reason.

And the 50 player 50/50s seem to have gone by the wayside until you get up to $10 contests. Only seeing 100 player and 20 player at the lower limits. Does this even matter? Makes the $5 double/triple ups more attractive now? I don't recall seeing 10 person $10 50/50s last year either.

Doesn't seem like many are on the Hill train if Thursday lineups are the gauge. McCoy highly owned 35-40%, but Charles was not. Graham and Sanders from my lineup were played the most by others, about 25% across the board. Ellington was used alot as well.
Sunday only and 1pm only games are up now for 50/50s. You can also create your own for H2H.

$500 in play this weekend. Won $1500 last year and I'm willing to play with all of it, so I guess it's 33% of my bankroll (although I only bothered to load $500 back).

why do all rosters seem really cheap on QB?

(sorry for all the noob questions)
Because Shaun Hill is dirt cheap. He gets 15 points and it's the equivalent of having had Lynch on your roster last night. Pretty easy to expect 15 points vs the crummy Minn D imo.

Other cheap QBs, same thing goes. I feel like they're somewhat easier to predict based upon matchup than WRs and TEs.

Because Shaun Hill is dirt cheap. He gets 15 points and it's the equivalent of having had Lynch on your roster last night. Pretty easy to expect 15 points vs the crummy Minn D imo.

Other cheap QBs, same thing goes. I feel like they're somewhat easier to predict based upon matchup than WRs and TEs.
To add to what Hulk said, I'm typically looking for around $350-400 per point from the QB spot. If I can get that out of a cheaper QB, which is a more predictable position due to opportunities per game, I'm all over it b/c it allows me to spend more money on very volatile positions, like TE and WR.

Highly recommend the How to Optimize Fanduel Lineups article that Buzzard put out on the 26th of August. Goes in depth as to the thinking behind what you need from each position (think $ per point) and strategies for both GPP, H2H and 50/50 games.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14Buzzard_Fanduel_Lineup_Optimization

For me, I'm pretty much in line with his thoughts at QB -- cheap in 50/50 and H2H and best Stud value + stack in GPP.

To add to what Hulk said, I'm typically looking for around $350-400 per point from the QB spot. If I can get that out of a cheaper QB, which is a more predictable position due to opportunities per game, I'm all over it b/c it allows me to spend more money on very volatile positions, like TE and WR.

Highly recommend the How to Optimize Fanduel Lineups article that Buzzard put out on the 26th of August. Goes in depth as to the thinking behind what you need from each position (think $ per point) and strategies for both GPP, H2H and 50/50 games.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14Buzzard_Fanduel_Lineup_Optimization

For me, I'm pretty much in line with his thoughts at QB -- cheap in 50/50 and H2H and best Stud value + stack in GPP.
Yeah, I'm more likely to pay for a better one to get an ideal stack in a GPP, however I used Hill with no stack in GPPs this week. He's just so cheap. I can't believe he isn't on every single roster atm

Yeah, even knowing he was going to be on a TON of rosters, I couldn't help myself. 12.5 points is $400 / point. Just too good to pass up knowing I can hopefully make a difference with contrarian picks elsewhere.

To take it one step further, what does Vegas think of the game and what are predictions for Hill. Dodds is predicting 16-17 points for Hill, giving us a reasonable margin for error getting to that 12-14 point range where we are at least keeping ourselves in the game.

Vegas has STL at -4.5 and the O/U is 43.5 last time I looked (don't quote me on that). They're basically predicting a 24 - 19.5 kinda game. Even giving 2 TDs to the running game, Hill factors into the equation with a TD ... although the Vikes are likely to stack the box forcing a pass. Dodds has him at 1.4 TDs, which seems pretty accurate, giving a slight edge to the ground game.

4 total scoring drives should give you somewhere around 260 yards (assuming Austin keeps them at a healthy 35 yard line start). I think it's safe to assume another 60-100 yards on all other drives puts them safely over 300 total yards. Last year the rams had 65% of their yards in the passing game...new team, new numbers (which makes early season predictions so hard), but I think you can assume Hill ends up somewhere between 175-250 passing the ball.

175 and 1 TD gives you 11 points -- add a pick and you're still stiting at 10 pts, or $500 / point. Not good, but not terrible considering it was such a small % of your money and you're stacked in other areas.

250 and 2 TDs gives you 18 which is $277 a point. A huge advantage at QB and stacked at WR/TE. For example, Manning would have to score 36+ points this week to go $277 / point, then you're still sitting at a disadvantage at WR/TE vs my squad due to the rise in volatility the lower you go down the list at those positions.

Sorry, long post, but it gives you an idea of my thought process on why Hill was a good choice for the week.

Actually, while Hill is on my roster & on many of Condia/1ucror's rosters.... he wasn't commonly owned in any of the 50/50s I'm in that began last night.

Could I ask someone with experience to spend 5 mins explaining this to me. I keep seeing this talked about here and the ads on Sirius NFL.

-This is a weekly pool I enter (Betting amounts vary?) and winners are paid out weekly? Size of pools vary?

-Is it a salary cap format like the $35k one for FBguys?

-If I join, do I get some kind of FBG's bonus?

What else do I need to know before starting this?

It seems like easy money...no?

Got stuck with Ellington in all of my Thurs lineups.

Only $20 riding on it, but not the optimal way to start the season! :rant:

Played several small-stakes tournies... and used some combination of three ideas...the first two not necessarily using high-variance players, but rather high-variance situations.

--Ladarius Green's role is possibly being badly underestimated

--The Lions beat the hell out of the Giants (who might be dreadful this year)

--Stud-loaded teams with Hill + cheap D + cheap K

Basically took a shot on a couple of Week 1 unknowns where I had a hunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I ask someone with experience to spend 5 mins explaining this to me. I keep seeing this talked about here and the ads on Sirius NFL.

-This is a weekly pool I enter (Betting amounts vary?) and winners are paid out weekly? Size of pools vary?

-Is it a salary cap format like the $35k one for FBguys?

-If I join, do I get some kind of FBG's bonus?

What else do I need to know before starting this?

It seems like easy money...no?
-Not a pool. There are many seperate games going. Head to head matchups, leagues (from 3 to 10 teams), 50/50 leagues (usually 10 to 50 teams, top 1/2 win), and GPP (garunteed prize pools, basically big contests where the top 5-10% win large sums).

-Yes, salary cap format, prices change each week.

-Not sure if FBGs offers the 1st timer bonus anymore. Probably. You get up to $200 matched on your initial deposit, but it credits to your account slowly, not fully vesting until you've played enough money.

Played several small-stakes tournies... and used some combination of three ideas...the first two not necessarily using high-variance players, but rather high-variance situations.

2 & 3 intersect in a bunch of my lineups. Freese in 1/2 my lineups and Detroit D in all of mine. They're going to shred Eli imo.

Actually, while Hill is on my roster & on many of Condia/1ucror's rosters.... he wasn't commonly owned in any of the 50/50s I'm in that began last night.
Man, I got stuck facing him in a bunch of leagues. Hopefully I made the right picks elsewhere. Still have a few ellington picks I'm stuck with which won't help.

Considering Dwyer now as a very cheap RB pick.
I think the beneficiary of Ellington missing time is probably Palmer (and Floyd and Fitz) rather than Dwyer.
Agree generally but Dwyer will get a lot more touches than he would of. Lack of talent makes me shy away from picking him even at his very low price. May throw him in there once or twice but so far not loving what those savings do for me.

Can you pick who you want to play?

For example, if I sign up tonight, can I get in a match with one of you guys to try it out?

For example, if I sign up tonight, can I get in a match with one of you guys to try it out?
Potentially. I'm FBG_Hulk over there, should be easy enough to find me. I'm done with bets for the week though, but you could easily join a 50/50 or GPP I'm in.

I just joined...deposit was matched with promo code PD200.

Signed up on my phone, pretty easily.

Will check it out on my computer tonight.

How do you get your money out if you wish to "checkout"?

You can choose who you want to face in H2H games. Best option for testing it out a week - use the bookmarklet app on the previous page and cherry pick a handful of $1 head to head matchups against people with little or no experience. Don't join a matchup against someone with a thousand wins. My general rule of thumb is for anyone with less than 100 NFL wins. I also tend to avoid people with few or no NFL wins if they have 5,000 NBA or MLB wins, figuring that they are at least competent.

Minimum amount you could reasonably spend - 5-10 x $1 H2Hs, maybe a $2 50/50 game as well. That's pretty minimal to just test it out.

After 'retiring' from 6 big money leagues this year, I caved and joined Fan Duel yesterday.

This is exactly what I needed. No trades, no waivers, no sleepless nights. Love tweaking with the salary cap, though I've done it so many times already onall 10 of my teams that I couldn't name you one starting roster.

Looking forward to this thread throughout the year.

I just joined...deposit was matched with promo code PD200.

Signed up on my phone, pretty easily.

Will check it out on my computer tonight.

How do you get your money out if you wish to "checkout"?
Via Paypal
Any other options?

(hate paypal)

Edit:

Looks like they will pay by check as well (7-10 days).

Bob Barker said:
Where do you go to see % ownership on fanduel? Do they have hat info on draft kings also?
On my phone I just click on the player in my lineup (or someone else's lineup).

FYI, I just checked the 50/50s I'm in that began on Thursday. Shaun Hill owned between 4% and 10% of the time. More expensive leagues tended to have a higher % of Hill.

donkey said:
andrewd173 said:
Condia:

Hill, mccoy, charles, colston, Malcom floyd, julio, graham, freese, jets

Alex smith, mccoy, charles, colston, e sanders, Malcom floyd, graham, freese, lions

Hill, mccoy, charles, colston, Malcom floyd, Demarcus thomas, julio thomas, freese, eagles
He has the exact lineup as the first posted in H2H against me except replace Jets with eagles.
condia, $5 GPP:

Hill, McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Colston, E. Sanders, D. Bryant, J. Graham, Gould, Patriots

wdcrob said:

Yeah you're going to see a lot of cheap QB + cheap D + cheap K this week for sure. Hill and Carr will be used a lot. Jets, Lions, Buccaneers, Vikings will be used a lot. Freese and Parkey probably will be the most used kickers

It's just smart. The majority of those defenses are under $5,000 and those kickers are under $5,000. Spending in the $5,000 range on QB, we're talking about $45,000+ to spend on the skill positions. You can really have a loaded roster. The key is which skill players to take, that is what's going to separate these ineups, which is the case any other time anyways

For me though, I like to stack QB and WR in GPP, so I have a very specific QB/WR combo I'm throwing out there as well as an expensive WR unit. I gotta hope that not only do my cheaper RB's do work, but also the receivers who I spent quite a bit on to really tear it up

If you have a very cheap value play at RB or WR, I'd abandon the cheap QB strategy to kind of maximize it all because you'll have the money left to finish off your roster. Otherwise, it makes a ton of sense to go cheap at QB/D/K and just loading your roster with studs

Bob Barker said:
Where do you go to see % ownership on fanduel? Do they have hat info on draft kings also?
Draftkings wont have it until game time. Reason, you can still switch players out after the contest locks on Thursday -- think it locks an hour before game time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm seeing Hill between 2 - 9% on FanDuel and Foles closer to 10 - 15%.

HurryUpSundays said:
After 'retiring' from 6 big money leagues this year, I caved and joined Fan Duel yesterday.

This is exactly what I needed. No trades, no waivers, no sleepless nights. Love tweaking with the salary cap, though I've done it so many times already onall 10 of my teams that I couldn't name you one starting roster.

Looking forward to this thread throughout the year.
You'll have sleepless nights if you want to win, that's all I can say. A lot of intuition and knowledge of the game goes into it, but their are so many other factors and raw data that needs to be compiled to compete. Vegas plays a big part in who you need to start, which isn't something you really think about in year long leagues. Player prop bets, understands the information that is useful and not. The first few weeks of daily are a blast. But once you start to lose week in and week out, you turn into a robot and that's really what it takes to have the edge and win from week to week. With your yearly league, you have only so many options to choose from and a loss 1 week doesn't hurt you too bad. On daily, their are a ton of options to choose from at each position, on top of a salary cap. It really is a lot more like work than you'd expect. Regardless, I love it. I can't get enough of the research and time consumed to create the best lineups every week

Shonn Greene @ KC for $4100 on Draftkings -- anything to see there?

Sounds like he'll be in line for 10 - 15 touches and potential goal line work.

Vegas has the Titans at 20.5 points in a FG loss. Offense is likely to be spread out and pass dependent, but to me, that just means more touches for Greene early in the year as he's by far the more advanced blocker out of their RBs.

Dodds has Greene at 11 - 45 - 0.4 and 1 - 6. I tend to lean closer to 11 - 40 - 0.5 and 3 - 10.

Either way, he probably has a floor around 4 and an upside around 14. I'm guessing he'll also be lightly owned.

Thoughts?

I looked at Greene but I'm just worried he will be closer to that floor number than the upside. If he starts off poorly then he may lose carries to Sankey. I see Dwyer(if ellington is confirmed out) with a similar floor and upside at 1200 dollars less and I'm having trouble getting too excited about him.

The NFL season kicks off in 32 hours. Week 1 projections for Dodds and Tremblay are already up... but they haven't been combined with the FD and DK salary amounts.
Coming.

These aren't ready for prime time yet, but you can check them out if you want.

On the Daily

FanDuel variations

Still working out the kinks, but properly working versions of those plus the Interactive Value charts should be up before tomorrow night's game.
As a former Footballguys subscriber, I am wondering if it would be worth the $30 to renew my subscription for Maurile's daily football league information alone? All of the other content would be a bonus. In other words, do you guys think it would be stupid not to pay the $30 for Maurile's info if a guy was serious about trying to turn a buck or two at Fanduel or Draftkings?

Vegas has the Titans at 20.5 points in a FG loss. Offense is likely to be spread out and pass dependent, but to me, that just means more touches for Greene early in the year as he's by far the more advanced blocker out of their RBs.

Dodds has Greene at 11 - 45 - 0.4 and 1 - 6. I tend to lean closer to 11 - 40 - 0.5 and 3 - 10.

Either way, he probably has a floor around 4 and an upside around 14. I'm guessing he'll also be lightly owned.

Thoughts?
Do you really want to put money on Shonn Greene... on the road.... in Arrowhead... potentially splitting time with Sankey?

As super value RBs I like Ingram (4200) against Atlanta, and JStewart (3300) against TB, as more likely to score TDs, as well as get more receptions than Greene (3 receptions for him is too high IMO when they have Sankey and McCluster. He had 6 receptions in 11 games last year). If Ingram and Stewart can approximate what they did in the preseason, should provide solid value.

Greene has that "40 yard" floor, but Ingram and Stewart have higher ceilings IMO. I figure with Cam's rib issue, Stewart and Tolbert should get the goal line work.

BTW this is all for some long-shot tournament lineup. I wouldn't roll with any of the 3 in cash games.

I kinda like Ingram in GPP but think I only actually used him once. Stewart looked good this preseason but maybe he has let me down more in the past(in leagues not daily games) that I just cant pull the trigger on using him.

andrewd173 said:
Condia:

Hill, mccoy, charles, colston, Malcom floyd, julio, graham, freese, jets

Alex smith, mccoy, charles, colston, e sanders, Malcom floyd, graham, freese, lions

Hill, mccoy, charles, colston, Malcom floyd, Demarcus thomas, julio thomas, freese, eagles
I hadn't really given Malcolm Floyd much thought but I guess the logic here is that Peterson takes away Allen?
I haven't played much at Fanduel, but over the short time I have played, it didn't take long to hear/learn about Condia. With his "legendary" status, how is it, do you think, that he maintains a "high winning percentage" (I assume he does) week after week, year after year? It would have to be, more than anything, that there are still schools upon schools of guppies (like me, at first) swimming around at Fanduel, just waiting to be gobbled up by Sharks. If Condia really is winning gobs of cash on a consistent basis, it seems that one could study his lineups week in and week out and join him in the feeding frenzy. Can't be that simple now, can it?

My initial thinking going into week one was to build my teams around McCoy/Charles, due to their guarantee of high-volume touches, and great values like Hill and Maclin floating around. To my surprise, Condia is doing exactly that (in a few of his lineups, anyways). Kinda makes me feel like I actually am getting a handle on the daily fantasy winning formula, although I have only played it for a relatively short time.

How do you get the 100% deposit bonus up to $200? I have an account that was made in 2011 but never deposited, only won some money from free entries. I tried https://www.fanduel.com/footballguys but it doesn't do anything when logged in and I click on play now. I see no options when adding funds to input a promo code and am forced to use a 75% deposit bonus instead.

Looking like you probably can't unless it's a brand new account. Sucks.

Thoughts?
Do you really want to put money on Shonn Greene... on the road.... in Arrowhead... potentially splitting time with Sankey?

As super value RBs I like Ingram (4200) against Atlanta, and JStewart (3300) against TB, as more likely to score TDs, as well as get more receptions than Greene (3 receptions for him is too high IMO when they have Sankey and McCluster. He had 6 receptions in 11 games last year). If Ingram and Stewart can approximate what they did in the preseason, should provide solid value.

Greene has that "40 yard" floor, but Ingram and Stewart have higher ceilings IMO. I figure with Cam's rib issue, Stewart and Tolbert should get the goal line work.

BTW this is all for some long-shot tournament lineup. I wouldn't roll with any of the 3 in cash games.
Yeah, probably right. I'm assuming he catches a higher volume of passes being the lead back this week in wisenhunts offense (SD RBs combined for a TON of catches last year).

Looking for a cheap, contrarian flex. Ellington has forced me to do some shifting around on draftkings GPP.

nastynate said:
Yeah, even knowing he was going to be on a TON of rosters, I couldn't help myself. 12.5 points is $400 / point. Just too good to pass up knowing I can hopefully make a difference with contrarian picks elsewhere.

To take it one step further, what does Vegas think of the game and what are predictions for Hill. Dodds is predicting 16-17 points for Hill, giving us a reasonable margin for error getting to that 12-14 point range where we are at least keeping ourselves in the game.

Vegas has STL at -4.5 and the O/U is 43.5 last time I looked (don't quote me on that). They're basically predicting a 24 - 19.5 kinda game. Even giving 2 TDs to the running game, Hill factors into the equation with a TD ... although the Vikes are likely to stack the box forcing a pass. Dodds has him at 1.4 TDs, which seems pretty accurate, giving a slight edge to the ground game.

4 total scoring drives should give you somewhere around 260 yards (assuming Austin keeps them at a healthy 35 yard line start). I think it's safe to assume another 60-100 yards on all other drives puts them safely over 300 total yards. Last year the rams had 65% of their yards in the passing game...new team, new numbers (which makes early season predictions so hard), but I think you can assume Hill ends up somewhere between 175-250 passing the ball.

175 and 1 TD gives you 11 points -- add a pick and you're still stiting at 10 pts, or $500 / point. Not good, but not terrible considering it was such a small % of your money and you're stacked in other areas.

250 and 2 TDs gives you 18 which is $277 a point. A huge advantage at QB and stacked at WR/TE. For example, Manning would have to score 36+ points this week to go $277 / point, then you're still sitting at a disadvantage at WR/TE vs my squad due to the rise in volatility the lower you go down the list at those positions.

Sorry, long post, but it gives you an idea of my thought process on why Hill was a good choice for the week.
Thank you, Nate, for sharing this info! I was waffling a bit on Hill, but you are right. He is just too damn good a value not to use in the 50/50's and H2H formats this week.

For guys that played fanduel last year for their tournaments with what will likely be like 40000 entries plus, were the top winners last year absolutely astronomical weeks? I mean I assume with that many entries the answer is obviously yes so I've been trying to craft super high upside teams. Find myself also trying to stack like many in this thread have said as I'd imagine for instance a combo like Ryan/Julio or Luck/TY etc if the connect for a couple bombs that is the type of day you need to actually cash in a field so large. I just ask because I ran through so many different lineups I wanted a fresh opinion so asked a buddy who knows his stuff and explain the setup and he gave me a lineup which I really don't see as the type of lineup that could place highly in this type of tourney but maybe I'm off base.! Plus I admittedly thought it was no ppr when I now see it's actually 0.5 ppr so my thinking was skewed a bit but I was looking at a lot of boom bust guys like Hilton, Cordarelle, even Desean or Mike Wallace etc if I needed money elsewhere, so now knowing its 0.5 ppr that might change slightly.

For informational purposes the lineup he gave me (in his defense he decided this in like five minutes so I doubt it'd be he finals lineup and he had $300 to spare I believe) was Kaepernick, Montee, Vereen, Mike Floyd, Colston, Wayne, Graham, McManus and Jets D. It's not a bad lineup and Has guys that could blow up but I just feel like the ceiling of guys like Colston and Wayne etc isn't high enough to actually place as high as you need to in this huge lottery. Sorry for the rambling I've just been all about fanduel these past few days since signing up.

Users who are viewing this thread