What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Implications from MNF Game (2 Viewers)

Need opinions.
I have owner A with a 5 point lead and Burrow. Owner B has Allen. Game cancelled, so back to team A with 5 point lead.

Both owners can play their QB's tomorrow. However, it looks like KC will win and then Buffalo has nothing to play for. They are either #2 or #3.

Is it fair for team B with Allen if he only plays part if the game? Cinn. needs to beat Balt. so Burrow should play the whole game.

Should they just be co champs?

Sorry, not sorry, but everyone in the world is going to die (Hamlin's life was not cut short, fortunately). This seems kind of like a microcosm of covid to me. Shut down the world because people are dying prematurely. As if it's going to help. I know it was difficult for the Bills' players. But I have had numerous extremely horrible days in my life where it was miserable just to be alive and have to have a brain. I still showed up for work, as hard as it was.
Be careful, someone will take offense.

Sorry, not sorry, but everyone in the world is going to die (Hamlin's life was not cut short, fortunately). This seems kind of like a microcosm of covid to me. Shut down the world because people are dying prematurely. As if it's going to help. I know it was difficult for the Bills' players. But I have had numerous extremely horrible days in my life where it was miserable just to be alive and have to have a brain. I still showed up for work, as hard as it was.
Be careful, someone will take offense.
I know 😔 Sometimes I just have to say what's on my mind.

Need opinions.
I have owner A with a 5 point lead and Burrow. Owner B has Allen. Game cancelled, so back to team A with 5 point lead.

Both owners can play their QB's tomorrow. However, it looks like KC will win and then Buffalo has nothing to play for. They are either #2 or #3.

Is it fair for team B with Allen if he only plays part if the game? Cinn. needs to beat Balt. so Burrow should play the whole game.

That's what I would ASK them to do, if they disagree, then Team A should be the winner (albeit he should of split and loses Fantasy football karma), unless of course you have a rule about suspended games.

Need opinions.

That's what I would ASK them to do, if they disagree, then Team A should be the winner (albeit he should of split and loses Fantasy football karma), unless of course you have a rule about suspended games.

Totally agree. I suspect that means different things to us, though. I'm glad the NFL took the position it did. Some things are more important imo.

After a lot of research and discussions, I still see 3 possible options, my order of preference.

A- if the fantasy game projects to be fairly close and both teams agree- split the pot
B- keep week 17 totals minus the Bills & Bengals players involved and apply their score from week 18 to the rest of week 17
C- the host site platforms wiped out the Bills & Bengals game and considered all game scores complete with all players from that game getting a zero. Right or wrong, use that outcome and scoring vs a variety of various alternatives

Need opinions.

If they want to be co-champs, I think that's pretty close and makes sense. If your software shows a slight lead, 54% to 46% win probability, you could distribute the payouts based on that percentage even though they're both co-champs. But that bit probably isn't relevant with the game that close. 50-50 Co-Champs works in this.

If that's not agreeable to them and they want a winner, then I definitely side towards replacement scores in home leagues where the camaraderie of the league takes precedent above everything else. Personally, I would make week 18 or any playoff game of their choice available to them. If they don't declare a start prior to that player's team being eliminated, then they're SOL and take their zero.

I know many will view allowing them to use any game including the playoffs as overly generous. If the goal is being fair, I think that's fair in the context that Bills-Bengals was 50 degrees plus with no wind and had the potential to be a track meet. Any playoff game they choose is unlikely to get to the implied Vegas score that they would have had in week 17. Maybe in the Super Bowl or neutral AFC Championship Game, but they will have to risk taking a zero if they push it past the first playoff game.

It's all about what makes sense to these particular owners and your league. If this is a league where everyone was unloved as small children and you're all a bunch of contract lawyers, then declaring owner A the champion is what's right for your league. Burrow and Allen take the zero.

Need opinions.

I can't tell you what you should do but Buffalo has plenty to play for.

#1 the NFL put in a rule just for them if they win and get to the LCG vs KC they no longer have to play at KC they get a neutral site game with a loss they don't get that.
#2 they are playing for the #2 seed they have to win OR have Cincy lose to get #2 and #2 is way better than #3 seed since they would get a home game should they win the 1st round.

Everyone keeps saying split the pot and that is fine but I want the championship way more than a couple hundred bucks that is why I play this game to win championships.

I run 5 huddle leagues and they all were searching for answers no one wanted to just call it quits with so many leagues still up in the air. I put up for vote week 18 for Cin/Buf players that were in week 17 lineups and over the combined 5 leagues it received 100% the vote YES use week 18. I was told "Once again, you prove to be a great commish and a friend of the leagues. Thank you for keeping all this together."

So contrary to what some on here think there are many people that would love the chance to finish this on the field regardless of it it is week 17 or 18. They just want a winner and this is the only real way to do it. On the field. It is perfect ? Nope is it the same as week 17 nope but that was taken away from them so we did what everyone (100% of the vote said to do) wanted.

God bless to anyone who disagrees. You do you.

Again....you're greatly under-estimating the impact that WATCHING a friend or family member undergo CPR in front of you. NOBODY in that spot could be reasonably expected to function in anything close to a normal way immediately afterwards. Nobody in that spot would be expected to work literally that same day. This was NOT remotely like a microcosm of COVID, nor even of leaning of the death of a friend via a phone or text message. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
I do believe the game should have been postponed until Wednesday, but I get why they felt that was too soon....it would be for many folks after watching CPR on a friend or family....these kids weren't being "soft". This was pretty traumatic, and would be for you too.

Our league plays an 18 week regular season, so the stakes are a little different than for most leagues. We counted last Monday's game as a complete 7-3 game, and the players who got points will have them manually added back in.

The finals in my league came down to MNF with the trailing team having Stefon Diggs playing. The commish would’ve won the matchup as is with the BUF-CIN game cancelled, but he decided instead he’s going to count Diggs’ stats for Week 18 (while obviously not counting Diggs’ total for Week 17), which gives his opponent a fighting chance. I thought it was good sportsmanship doing that when it would’ve been easy to just accept the results and take the title. The trailing guy still needs like 100 yards and 2 TDs from Diggs in order to win, but given the situation and that Diggs had a 145/3 performance against the Pats just two years back, I would say it’s very possible, if not likely.
I did the same in the league I commish, I’m ahead and finished, my opponent has Chase. It’s the best solution that honors the spirit of competition and of fairness. Giving zeros in this situation is a use of the most pedantic logic that is anti-competitive and obviously unfair, imo.

Everyone keeps saying split the pot and that is fine but I want the championship way more than a couple hundred bucks that is why I play this game to win championships.

I run 5 huddle leagues and they all were searching for answers no one wanted to just call it quits with so many leagues still up in the air. I put up for vote week 18 for Cin/Buf players that were in week 17 lineups and over the combined 5 leagues it received 100% the vote YES use week 18. I was told "Once again, you prove to be a great commish and a friend of the leagues. Thank you for keeping all this together."

So contrary to what some on here think there are many people that would love the chance to finish this on the field regardless of it it is week 17 or 18. They just want a winner and this is the only real way to do it. On the field. It is perfect ? Nope is it the same as week 17 nope but that was taken away from them so we did what everyone (100% of the vote said to do) wanted.

God bless to anyone who disagrees. You do you.
That’s where every one of my leagues landed. I won’t say it was 100% voted for, but the overwhelming feedback in every league has been that this approach is viewed as the fairest way to decide things of all of the unideal scenarios.

I think it was also fortunate and helps greatly that 1) Cincy and Buffalo both still have something to play for and 2) both of their week 18 opponents, while not exactly comparable to the MNF matchup, also are good defenses and also both have something to play for.

Again....you're greatly under-estimating the impact that WATCHING a friend or family member undergo CPR in front of you. NOBODY in that spot could be reasonably expected to function in anything close to a normal way immediately afterwards. Nobody in that spot would be expected to work literally that same day. This was NOT remotely like a microcosm of COVID, nor even of leaning of the death of a friend via a phone or text message. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
I do believe the game should have been postponed until Wednesday, but I get why they felt that was too soon....it would be for many folks after watching CPR on a friend or family....these kids weren't being "soft". This was pretty traumatic, and would be for you too.
Right. The issue is less about what happened and more about whether the players would be in a right mindset to play a dangerous game.
It’s different but similar to Simone Biles withdrawing because her mind wasn’t in the right spot, except obviously with more people affected.
Many of us have continued on with a really crappy day and under more stressful conditions. But if given the option, postponing was clearly the right choice. Even if it means a new normal when players are carted off the field. (I don’t think it does). Cancelling sucks but in these circumstances it wasn’t necessarily wrong.

I don't think this can be categorized as "weird stuff that happens all the time." The NFL doesn't cancel games all the time, especially after they've started. This is a unique circumstance, and requires unique consideration imo.
People don't get into car accidents going to the game all the time, kickers don't get hurt in warmups all the time, how do you decide how weird something has to be for the do-over clause to kick in?
We use the "once every 87 years" bench mark.

I don't think this can be categorized as "weird stuff that happens all the time." The NFL doesn't cancel games all the time, especially after they've started. This is a unique circumstance, and requires unique consideration imo.
People don't get into car accidents going to the game all the time, kickers don't get hurt in warmups all the time, how do you decide how weird something has to be for the do-over clause to kick in?
We use the "once every 87 years" bench mark.
Pretty cool that you already had that rule in place, kudos to you sir!

Interestingly the Ravens are sitting most of their key players and are sending out a JV team against the Bengals, they have clearly come to the conclusion that it's not worth trying to win the game.

Need opinions.

I can't tell you what you should do but Buffalo has plenty to play for.

#1 the NFL put in a rule just for them if they win and get to the LCG vs KC they no longer have to play at KC they get a neutral site game with a loss they don't get that.
#2 they are playing for the #2 seed they have to win OR have Cincy lose to get #2 and #2 is way better than #3 seed since they would get a home game should they win the 1st round.
Thanks. Both teams agreed to play it out today👍

I think that most home leagues have settled fantasy implications of the canceled Bills-Bengals game and have moved on, but now both teams face each other in the playoffs in what will be the closest thing to a replay of week 17 that we'll get. I'm wondering if any leagues that didn't use stats from week 18 might decide to instead use stats from the playoff game (but I also realize people might want to just let it go).

I think that most home leagues have settled fantasy implications of the canceled Bills-Bengals game and have moved on, but now both teams face each other in the playoffs in what will be the closest thing to a replay of week 17 that we'll get. I'm wondering if any leagues that didn't use stats from week 18 might decide to instead use stats from the playoff game (but I also realize people might want to just let it go).
I’m done with my league and the two guys involved ended up splitting, however, I told them if they are feeling confident that the players would/wouldn’t make up the points, to make a wager between themselves.

This prompted the guy in the final against me to reach out and suggest exactly that. We had elected to declare co-champions but neither of us were feeling great about it. He seemed disinterested in using Week 18 points at the time but this rematch he's okay with. We'll have a winner and loser this Sunday.

The game didn't affect our playoffs which ended in Week 16. But the non-playoff teams compete for the booby prize (a refund of the entry fee) with a 4 week cumulative score for weeks 14 to 17. I was down 12 points with Tee Higgins left. The guy ahead of me and I decided to split the money unless the Bills and Bengals went against each other in the post season so it will be decided this week. I'm hoping Higgins gets 60 yards and a TD.

Users who are viewing this thread